The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll
Author: Subject: MLB Regular Season 2008 - Better Late Than Never
Sweet Lou
Showstopper

Posts 527
Registered 8-25-2006

Mood:

posted on 4-18-2008 at 01:25 AM Edit Post
MLB Regular Season 2008 - Better Late Than Never

It's time we got this started.

Jason Jennings sucks.

outback jack
The Great One

Posts 3811
Registered 3-10-2003
Location not Australia

Mood: old

posted on 4-18-2008 at 04:38 PM Edit Post
I'm thinking Mussina should just walk Manny every time he faces him from now on.
TarheelMike
The Immortal One

Posts 4845
Registered 3-6-2003
Location DFW

Mood: Medium Rare

posted on 4-18-2008 at 06:45 PM Edit Post
quote:
Originally posted by outback jack
I'm thinking Mussina should just walk Manny every time he faces him from now on.

I'm thinking Mussina should just walk away, period.

“Pinson, with five. Looks up, drivin’ in. Maye, for the win... NORTH CAROLINA!! With point three seconds to go! An incredible shot!” - Jim Nantz, calling Carolina’s South Regional Final victory over Kentucky.

“FBIGORJAHSJDHFJGOGPDJSHCH!!!!!” - Mikey, calling Carolina’s South Regional Final victory over Kentucky

MoeAU
And I am AWESOME

Posts 238
Registered 8-15-2006

Mood: O-H

posted on 4-18-2008 at 06:55 PM Edit Post
The Reds are sweet.

But really, Cueto and Volquez are exciting. Corey Patterson-not as much.

Miguel Tejada is strange.

derfsucks
Fella

Posts 379
Registered 1-4-2002
Location Taylor, MI

Mood: phoenetical

posted on 4-19-2008 at 04:17 AM Edit Post
If I were the Astros, I'd be a might bit pissed with Tejada.

Jake Peavy and Jeff Francis must've been aggravated as shit with their respective lineups after the 22 inning debacle the other night.

Mussina walking away? I microplay.

Too bad the Tigers have a relief corps equivalent to a middle school team - that lineup will eventually start firing, but they're still gonna play hell keeping leads late in games.

Nine Pound Hammer. Kinda like my genitals.

JMD
Showstopper

Posts 633
Registered 6-25-2006

Mood: Hardcore Champion!

posted on 4-19-2008 at 02:15 PM Edit Post
quote:
Originally posted by outback jack

Manny has 1622 RBIs. His career OPS is 1.003. As far as I'm concerned, he's the best hitter in the AL of the last 15 years. EVERYBODY should be walking him when they've got a base open and the game is close.

LuckyLopez
Reeks of WCW

Posts 12562
Registered 2-13-2003

Mood: Grieving

posted on 4-19-2008 at 03:22 PM Edit Post
Yeah. Mussina's looked much better thus far than I thought he would. He's basically been this shy of 3 quality starts and has been a solid backend guy who will give you roughly 6 innings and give up no more than 4. I can't really say I expect it to continue all season and I still wish we had something better but I'm not looking to drive him out of town yet.

Manny's just Manny. He owns Mussina. But he owns the Yanks. And he owns a LOT of people. Fuck that "best hitter in the AL in the last 15 years" noise. Manny is the best hitter I've ever seen. Better than Bonds. Better than Pujols, A-Rod, Griffey, Ichiro, Gwynn, Thomas, and whoever else. You can SEE him analyze an AB if you watch closely enough. If you watch Manny hit enough you can start to read what he's reading and watch him actually set up a pitcher. Its like a poker or chess player. You can tell he knows he's smashing the inside fastball. Its just a matter of how many outside pitches he has to foul off to get it and if the pitcher ever gives in.

And when he's hot, yeah, you might as well treat him like his name was "Bonds."

EDIT: And Tejada isn't really "strange." Actually he's quite common. So many of these guys forged their documents and said they were younger when they came over. They were pretty much encouraged to. So many have been found out since 9/11. At this stage its not all that unreasonable to presume that a guy like David Ortiz MIGHT be a bit older than he says he is. Because half of the baseball world was waiting for Tejada's revelation anyway. If the Astros didn't know then they should have paid more attention. Should they have taken it on fact that he was lying about his age? Of course not. But they'd have about as much place to cry ignorance over his age as they would about steroid allegations. The talk was there, everyone presumed it. Its nice if you give him the benefit of the doubt but its your risk.

He smiled.

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   LuckyLopez 's Aim
MoeAU
And I am AWESOME

Posts 238
Registered 8-15-2006

Mood: O-H

posted on 4-19-2008 at 07:01 PM Edit Post
Strange was a poor word choice, but I was referring to the interview (a clarification would go a long way on my part). They asked how old he is and he said 32. He was listed as being born in May 1976, and these new documents say May 1974. Neither of those is 32, so I found that odd.

The Reds' offense is fantastic.

derfsucks
Fella

Posts 379
Registered 1-4-2002
Location Taylor, MI

Mood: phoenetical

posted on 4-19-2008 at 08:41 PM Edit Post
quote:
Originally posted by MoeAU
They asked how old he is and he said 32. He was listed as being born in May 1976, and these new documents say May 1974. Neither of those is 32, so I found that odd.

Yeah, that was LAME. If you're going to lie about your age, do the math properly at least.

Nine Pound Hammer. Kinda like my genitals.

GordusMaximus
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1223
Registered 7-26-2006
Location Chicago

Mood: Happy.

posted on 4-19-2008 at 10:08 PM Edit Post
What surprised me about Tejada was that ESPN said his passport had the correct age on it... whatever the hell the correct age is.

You would think that a team would check this before the signed a guy? Maybe Houston just didn't care?

I remember Chris Benoit.

Www.facebook.com/thecurtaincall

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member   GordusMaximus 's Aim   GordusMaximus 's Yahoo
TommyD420
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1739
Registered 12-30-2005
Location Worcester, MA

Mood: Smurfy

posted on 4-20-2008 at 03:11 PM Edit Post
Am I the only one who, when Manny connects on an eventual Home Run, says Holy (insert expletive here, for me it alternates) ?

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   TommyD420 's Aim This User Has MSN Messenger
ThePunisher
The Great One

Posts 3331
Registered 4-19-2003
Location Asheville, NC

Mood:

posted on 4-21-2008 at 12:18 AM Edit Post
quote:
Originally posted by LuckyLopez
Manny's just Manny. He owns Mussina. But he owns the Yanks. And he owns a LOT of people. Fuck that "best hitter in the AL in the last 15 years" noise. Manny is the best hitter I've ever seen. Better than Bonds. Better than Pujols, A-Rod, Griffey, Ichiro, Gwynn, Thomas, and whoever else. You can SEE him analyze an AB if you watch closely enough. If you watch Manny hit enough you can start to read what he's reading and watch him actually set up a pitcher. Its like a poker or chess player. You can tell he knows he's smashing the inside fastball. Its just a matter of how many outside pitches he has to foul off to get it and if the pitcher ever gives in.

You don't know how much I love to hear that from you, Lucky. You were one of the ones giving me so much shit when I chose him in fantasy baseball.

Wait 'Til Next Year - The best baseball podcast on the 'Net!

gobbledygooker
Sister Act 2

Posts 9489
Registered 12-17-2002
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 4-21-2008 at 12:36 AM Edit Post
My only question is how does Manny hit so great when he's got Lucky swinging from his nuts like that?

"Hulk Hogan have the sex with some dumb bitch on the TV. The girl smart if she make the $$ from his bald ass but she also desperate to have sex with the howdy doody like Hulk Hogan. He worse than Mel Gibson and I think now %10000 he prove he have grasshopper dick and raisin balls." - The Iron Sheik

ThePunisher
The Great One

Posts 3331
Registered 4-19-2003
Location Asheville, NC

Mood:

posted on 4-22-2008 at 12:32 PM Edit Post
Especially for Solly and Dev.....

fsolomon75
American Dream

Posts 8481
Registered 1-25-2002
Location SoCal

Mood: WILLIE~!

posted on 4-22-2008 at 01:26 PM Edit Post
Yeah yeah yeah - that game was lost as soon as Big Z threw strike one. He and Marmol were absolutely filthy last night.

Teh wisdom of MooseheadJack: "tpyos are not going to ruin my day today" and "the only thing carved in stone for the Mets is the look on willie's face"

The 2007 Post Of The Year

metallikid
The Immortal One

Posts 4898
Registered 12-17-2002
Location Orlando, Florida

Mood: Super

posted on 4-22-2008 at 01:31 PM Edit Post
quote:
Originally posted by TommyD420
Am I the only one who, when Manny connects on an eventual Home Run, says Holy (insert expletive here, for me it alternates) ?

I also say Holy Shit but it is because I can't stand that a douchebag like that is doing something good. I hate Manny so, so much.

It's Great to be a Florida Gator!

Sweet Lou
Showstopper

Posts 527
Registered 8-25-2006

Mood:

posted on 4-22-2008 at 06:16 PM Edit Post
Can someone tell me what it's like when your favorite team is good? Is it everything I dream?
TommyD420
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1739
Registered 12-30-2005
Location Worcester, MA

Mood: Smurfy

posted on 4-22-2008 at 07:28 PM Edit Post
Everything and More.

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   TommyD420 's Aim This User Has MSN Messenger
ThePunisher
The Great One

Posts 3331
Registered 4-19-2003
Location Asheville, NC

Mood:

posted on 4-22-2008 at 11:40 PM Edit Post
Man, did Ronny Cedeno make the Mets his bitch or what??!?!

fsolomon75
American Dream

Posts 8481
Registered 1-25-2002
Location SoCal

posted on 4-23-2008 at 12:42 AM Edit Post
In a way, each of us has a Ronny Cedeno to face. For some, shyness might be their Ronny Cedeno. For others, a lack of education might be their Ronny Cedeno. For us, Ronny Cedeno is a fucking slappy who beat our asses. But as sure as my name is Solly Ya Bastard, the people of Shea Stadium can conquer their own personal Ronny Cedeno, who also happens to be *the actual* Ronny Cedeno!

Teh wisdom of MooseheadJack: "tpyos are not going to ruin my day today" and "the only thing carved in stone for the Mets is the look on willie's face"

ThePunisher
The Great One

Posts 3331
Registered 4-19-2003
Location Asheville, NC

Mood:

posted on 4-23-2008 at 01:00 AM Edit Post
This has got to be the worst call I've seen in a long time.....maybe in all the years I've been watching baseball. If the ump is not reprimanded in some way, I will be shocked.

EDIT - I love the NY Post headlines:

fsolomon75
American Dream

Posts 8481
Registered 1-25-2002
Location SoCal

posted on 4-23-2008 at 01:59 PM Edit Post
I saw this posted on metsblog (citing my source) and it pretty much sums up how I feel:
quote:
Delgado is done, or so it seems. A George Foster-esque mid-season release could only help at this point.

A Sanchez/Wagner combo to finish is pretty darn good. The problem is getting to them, which means getting the most out of your SPs. Pulling Maine after four against Atlanta, Perez in the 6th against Philly (while he was pitching a shutout), Pelfrey after five against Philly, Maine after six against Philly (after giving up a single run) and six against Chicago yesterday, Perez after 4 1/3 against Milwaukee, and so on…time after time Randolph pulls his starter in a close game and asks the most mediocre players on his team–the middle relievers–collectively to carry the heaviest load. In the process he overworks them, further reducing their effectiveness down the road.

Even today, by pulling Figueroa after giving up that single to lead off the sixth, he asks his manifestly mediocre middlemen to get six outs at minimum. He continues to put these guys into a position in which they’ve demonstrated over and again that they are less than reliable.

Who would you rather have pitching in the seventh inning of a close, low-scoring game: John Maine, Oliver Perez, Johan Santana and even Pelfrey or Figueroa; or Smith, Sosa, Schoeneweiss, Feliciano or Heilman?

I'm not on the releasing Delgado bandwagon yet because of the upside of what he CAN do but would it kill Small Wonder to bench him every once in a while? He did it to Church and Pagan over this last road trip and they're the hottest hitters on the team not named Wright. It makes Alou's return that much more important. It pushes Delgado to the 6th spot and hopefully gives Monkey some better pitches to hit. It really couldn't hurt when Monkey goes something like 1 for 20 and Delgado 2 for 18 in bandboxes like CBP and Wrigley.

I totally agree on the starting pitching point. Last September showed how taxed the bullpen was so why are they being used so much in April? In 19 games, Heilman has pitched 12 times, Sosa (who has already allowed two grand slams so far, he's the Latino Joey Devine) and Smith 11. These guys are going to be dead by July so yeah, if Maine has only given up 2 runs in 6 innings at Wrigley, put him back out there for the 7th.

Also, a big thank you to Omar for giving Luis Castillo FOUR guaranteed years, which roughly comes out to one year for every run he drives in. Shit man, Jake Taylor laughs at your knees.

ThePunisher
The Great One

Posts 3331
Registered 4-19-2003
Location Asheville, NC

Mood:

posted on 4-23-2008 at 02:25 PM Edit Post
quote:
Originally posted by fsolomon75
....and they're the hottest hitters on the team not named Wright.

You mean Mr. 0 for 6 vs. the Cubs?

Parker Lewis
And I am AWESOME

Posts 164
Registered 7-25-2006

Mood: Normal?

posted on 4-23-2008 at 06:25 PM Edit Post
Zito's 0-5!!!!

The Giants will suck this year but they have been more entertaining than any of us fans would have thought.

Not that I wish injury on anyone it is a very good thing that Dave Roberts got hurt and Fred Lewis is gonna play everyday in LF.

They will be a more entertaining 100 loss team than the 1985 team which I, thankfully, barely remember.

Not a Problem

fsolomon75
American Dream

Posts 8481
Registered 1-25-2002
Location SoCal

posted on 4-23-2008 at 06:33 PM Edit Post
The Giants will have to suffer for a few years but having a core of Cain, Lincecum, Correia, Wilson, Lewis, and Bowker doesn't suck at all.... being in the West can't help though.

<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll

go to top