The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
New Topic New Poll
Author: Subject: Bonestein and BFG
Eli
The Immortal One

Posts 4503
Registered 1-4-2002

Mood: Careworn

posted on 10-6-2002 at 07:25 PM Edit Post
Bonestein and BFG

Since you guys are from the great white north. Would you mind giving us a little native perspective on these famous canadian persons places and things? You kn

1. Bob and Doug McKenzie
2. Pam Anderson
3. Michael J. Fox
4. The French
5. John Candy
6. Bret Hart
7. Pal Shaffer

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   Eli 's Aim   Eli 's Yahoo
Bonestein
The Rowdy One

Posts 2712
Registered 7-24-2002

Mood: partypartyparty

posted on 10-6-2002 at 09:51 PM Edit Post
1. the McKenzie brothers rule. Download their Christmas song. "Strange Brew" is also one of the truly great Canadian movies (meaning the cultural representation of Canada, it hilarious)
2. Pam Anderson is useless. Most Canadians don't even know she's from Canada I don't think. We won't bother taking credit for her.
3. Michael J. Fox has been in the States for so long that he's also not really thought of as Canadian. But, he's never really done anything to embarrass us, and his recent battles have been something that we all have to respect him for.
4. The French can kiss my white ass. Since the Confederation of Canada, the French and the English have never seen eye to eye, and never will. There has been seperatist talk off and on for 100 years, and they'll always feel like they're picked on by the English. The thing that pisses me off is that our national parks have to have both English and French on the signage, yet in Quebec, they are allowed to go completely French. I grew up in a town that was close to where a bunch of French settled (where Martine Gaillard is from if you watch the Score), and they're not bad. Lots of hot, hot, hot French girls.
5. John Candy is missed, even if he did a whole bunch of awful movies, he did have a number of classics and classic moments. He was almost like Chris Farley before Chris Farley.
6. Bret Hart is the man (I am in Calgary after all), but he's a bitter man. That is my personal thought on it. To most Canadians who know who he is and liked him before, I believe they still feel the same about him. He is still big time news here in Calgary anyway.
7. Paul Shaffer can kiss my ass too. He's not really Canadian any more either, he's associated only with Letterman as opposed to associated with Canada. Writing "It's Raining Men" didn't help.

bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7904
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere
Member Is Online

Mood: Stratusfied

posted on 10-6-2002 at 11:09 PM Edit Post
1. Bob and Doug McKenzie...just great stuff. SCTV alumns and all that good stuff. they are a take how Americans precieve Canadians, and the class of Canucks we call hicks...they do rule. Last seen doing beer commercials. Canada has these thing with beer.

2. Pam Anderson...former BC Lions cheerleader. A good example of how the Canadian version is much better. Seruiously, I'vee seen the beer poster she did (there's more mention of beer) and she was hot before all the fucking being made into the human Barbie by LA. Kinda goofy, which tends to be her only link remaining to Canada.

3. Michael J. Fox...the "oh yeah, he's Canadian" guy (along with Matthew Perry) where a lot of his niceness is what most people think of when mentioning how polite us Canadians are.

4. The French...live in this country called "France" over in Europe. People from the East-Coast speak Fench, English, and another language that resembles Brad Pitt's delivery from Snatch. People from Quebec are like latin people in the Bronx, Mexicans in Texas or Califronia...and Latin people in Miami...loyal to their heritige to the point where calling themselves Canadian makes them feel like traitors. But French girls are VERY hot, and there is one or two decent French goalies.

5. John Candy...comic genius. This guy and Bill Murray are two of the reasons why I love the 80's. While people will blast him for some of his starring roles, his true genius was in supporting roles as a character actor. And I'll do Bones one better...Foley would have NEVER made it without Candy coming first.

6. Bret Hart...the greatest wrestler ever in the WWF, and possibly the best of all time. He really is though of as a hero, because he has done a shitload off cherity work, and is about as proud to be Canadian as any other celebrity.

7. Paul Shaffer is one more of those "oh yeah, he's one of us" type of guys. Respected and all that, but you have to think to remember he is Canadian.

Bonestein
The Rowdy One

Posts 2712
Registered 7-24-2002

posted on 10-6-2002 at 11:14 PM Edit Post
Just a correction BFG- Pam Anderson wasn't a cheerleader for the Lions, she was discovered when they were doing crowd shots on the scoreboard screen, and she was sitting in the crowd. And Chris Farley DEFINITELY would have made it without John Candy, he was just that fucking funny man, he was the king of physical comedy for that short time.

That's racism man! I love to racism bro!

bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7904
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere
Member Is Online

posted on 10-6-2002 at 11:55 PM Edit Post
King of physical comedy??? Have you seen the tapes of Chevy??? Like really...Farley was a tad glorified...
Eli
The Immortal One

Posts 4503
Registered 1-4-2002

posted on 10-7-2002 at 01:56 AM Edit Post
Wow...I know I have learned a few things.
Mainly...

-There are "hicks" in Cnada and they have lifestyles similar to Bob and Doug McKenzie. So that movie was like the same type of humor as Mulletsgalore or Joe Dirt eh?

-Paul Shaffer wrote "It's Raining Men"

-There are "Uncle Tom" Canadians like Michael J. Fox, Pam Anderson, Matthew Perry and Paul Shaffer.

Okay, I got one more question for you guys, what did you REALLY think of the UnAmericans angle?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   Eli 's Aim   Eli 's Yahoo
Bonestein
The Rowdy One

Posts 2712
Registered 7-24-2002

posted on 10-7-2002 at 02:04 AM Edit Post
Personally, I liked the unAmericans angle. If they sold the unAmerican shirts, I'd probably buy one. Sorry, I don't wanna bother with another war of words between Canada and the US again, that's just me.

Yes, there's kind of rednecks like the McKenzie brothers here... wearing their toques around, driving shitty full size vans, eating donuts and drinking beer all day. We also have the mulletsgalore style neck here too, lucky us... we also have trailer parks after all. In fact, the funniest Canadian show is called, "Trailer Park Boys" (you can buy the episodes on ebay from time to time, I HIGHLY recommend the show, or even checking out the website).

And the "Uncle Tom" Canadians aren't really Uncle Toms, it's just that we don't think of them as Canadian. For the most part, we don't begrudge them for being in the American media, that's their choice, so fine. No hate for them, just indifference, or thinking of them the same way as any other celeb.

bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7904
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere
Member Is Online

posted on 10-7-2002 at 10:15 AM Edit Post
Thought Bret did it better....although I thought Lance Storm would have done it better as well if they let him do it along the likes of his WCW days...but still, the angle was affective because (and no this is not a political statement) the easiest way to get fans to cheer a geographical area is to badmouth it.

And the t-shirt brought back days of the 92 World Series where the US Navy had the Canadian flag upside down...and no, 10 years later we haven't forgotten about that.

Chris Is Good517
Best There Is Was or Ever Will Be

Posts 12571
Registered 1-10-2002
Location Little Rock, AR

Mood:

posted on 10-7-2002 at 05:00 PM Edit Post
I had no idea Micheal J. Fox was Canadian. And hey, you guys forgot to apologize for Alanis *snicker*

Monday Night Flaw, a podcast about professional wrestling starring OO's own Figure Foreskin as Andy the Smarmy Host and Chris Is Good517 as Cousin Balki.

Bonestein
The Rowdy One

Posts 2712
Registered 7-24-2002

posted on 10-7-2002 at 05:28 PM Edit Post
We'll apologize for Alanis and Celion Dion when you apologize for Carrottop and Pauly Shore.

bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7904
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere
Member Is Online

posted on 10-8-2002 at 01:58 PM Edit Post
Why7 wuld we apoligize for Alanis??? She has some good songs...

and it's not like we produce crap like Pauley...David Arquette...Barney...Backstreet Boys...N*sync...98 degrees...and on and on...

oh...and we also didn't vote for Dubya to be our figurehead.

Bonestein
The Rowdy One

Posts 2712
Registered 7-24-2002

posted on 10-8-2002 at 03:48 PM Edit Post
But we did vote for both Brian "The Thief" Mulroney AND Jean "God, I wish I had some testicle" Chretien for multiple terms each. Wait, Dubya is still worse.

Denethor
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1661
Registered 3-27-2002

Mood: Meh

posted on 10-8-2002 at 07:33 PM Edit Post
lol... we've gone from arguing about domestic policy to who has the more embarassing celebrities. i think the US does, if only by shear number.
salmonjunkie

Posts 12751
Registered 6-25-2002
Location Sunny Seattle, WA

Mood: FICKLE!

posted on 10-11-2002 at 08:22 AM Edit Post
I'd like to see reperations for giving us Bryan Adams.

Every fucking song on the great sleeper cartoon hit, Spirit, had to be performed by that raspy voiced bastard.

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo
Bonestein
The Rowdy One

Posts 2712
Registered 7-24-2002

posted on 10-11-2002 at 08:40 AM Edit Post
Sure. As soon as you take back all the P. Diddy shit that's been forced onto our airwaves. At least your stations aren't bombarded by our crap, it's easy to avoid our shit.

salmonjunkie

Posts 12751
Registered 6-25-2002

posted on 10-12-2002 at 01:00 AM Edit Post
Aw damn. You got me on that one. I wish I could take back P. Diddy's garbage too.

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo
Eli
The Immortal One

Posts 4503
Registered 1-4-2002

posted on 10-12-2002 at 07:37 PM Edit Post
Yea, but is P.Diddy any worse than Celine Dion?
salmonjunkie

Posts 12751
Registered 6-25-2002

posted on 10-12-2002 at 09:15 PM Edit Post
Eli, I'd have to say with no doubt in my mind, that as much as I hate Celine Dion, P. Diddy is worse.

Eli
The Immortal One

Posts 4503
Registered 1-4-2002

posted on 10-12-2002 at 11:31 PM Edit Post
Yea, okay. But not by much!

New Topic New Poll

go to top