The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll
Author: Subject: "The Hobbit" now without gay ALL CAPS title
chretienbabacool
The Great One

Posts 3444
Registered 3-5-2003
Location Columbia, MO

Mood: Go Cubs!

posted on 12-18-2007 at 09:42 PM Edit Post
"The Hobbit" now without gay ALL CAPS title

I loved me some Lord of the Rings, but my favorite book has always been the Hobbit. I'd say it's probably my fourth favorite book ever. After fighting for a long time, New Line Cinema and Peter Jackson have finally gotten over themselves and seen the light:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22312421/

I am so, so jacked for this. To me it's going to be a far better movie then even LOTR. It's funny, has more adventuring, more diverse characters, has Mirkwood and will just be so cool.

Go Cubs!

And just imagine if, instead of the Palins, the Obama family had a pregnant, underage daughter on display at their convention, flanked by her black boyfriend who "intends" to marry her. Who among conservatives would have resisted the temptation to speak of "the dysfunction in the black community"?

Denethor
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1661
Registered 3-27-2002

Mood: Meh

posted on 12-18-2007 at 10:13 PM Edit Post
Woohoo! Very exciting. And apparently it's going to be broken into two films, so they won't be cutting it to pieces to get it under 150 minutes. Plenty of long close-ups of contemplative looking people, so I know Jeb will be thrilled.

I do hope Ian McKellen and Hugo Weaving come back. Other than that, they can pretty much cast the movies from scratch.

OORick
Monkey on a Rock

Posts 4431
Registered 12-27-2001
Location - The Birthplace of Aviation

Mood: See You in Hell ;)

posted on 12-18-2007 at 11:32 PM Edit Post
My understanding of things was that the book itself would be done as one movie.... the second film, if it's part of the deal, was intended to be an all-original "bridge" between the events of the Hobbit and the events of the LotR.

Given the care and consideration with which Jackson and Welsh handled the adapatation of the LotR trilogy, I have absolutely no problems with this and am, if anything, massively intrigued.

Like the original poster, I admit a healthy amount of man-love for "The Hobbit." I would have loved it if I read it when I was 8; I did love it when I read it when I was 18; I still love it when I've re-read it since. Which is different from how I viewed my reading of "Lord of the Rings." I didn't so much enjoy that experience as I "appreciated" it. You know? LotR got a little dense and wankery; you still appreciated the imagination behind it, but it didn't, you know?, RULE. "The Hobbit" on the other hand, is just 175 pages of downright fun.

Jackson, et al, successfully filtered the dense and the wank out of LotR for the big screen; I have no doubts that they'll capitalize on the awesome of the Hobbit. And I'm curious to see what they do with that second film (I agree it's necessary to get Sir Ian on board, but could you "back-load" a sequel to the extent that you'd even need to get Frodo and Sam back?), too....

Rick

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
LuckyLopez
Reeks of WCW

Posts 12562
Registered 2-13-2003

Mood: Grieving

posted on 12-18-2007 at 11:52 PM Edit Post
Throw me on board with this who think the Hobbit is superior to LotR and should be a better film. And I'm glad if Rick's story is right and its just 1 film. I really don't think the Hobbit needs to be dragged into 2 films and I much rather Jackson not give us all that walking and staring and closeups and everything else that seemed to make LotR drag at times. I tried to watch the 3 films this past weekend and its even worse when you're watching the prologues and epilogues back-to-back, not that I blame Jackson for that considering he released them separately.

Definitely more adventure and fun in Hobbit as I remember it. And less walking and preparing for battle and waiting. Hopefully that translates well. And the bridge would interest me.

And now I can't get that "The greatest adventure is what lies ahead..." song out of my head.

He smiled.

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   LuckyLopez 's Aim
Stu
Caledonian Crippler

Posts 3548
Registered 5-17-2005
Location Glasgow, Scotland

Mood: Scottish

posted on 12-19-2007 at 12:03 AM Edit Post
What would a bridging movie about the Hobbits be about though? I doubt it's going to be about Bilbo writing his book, but at the same time they're not going to want to contradict the LOTR movies.
Maybe the bridging movie will be about Gondor or Rohan, since being close to Mordor they were always dealing with Orcs and such. Or maybe the Elves/Young Aragorn.

"WWE's like Sable's f***y: it's not been any good since 1998, and it's been fucked by Vince McMahon"-Billy Kirkwood

Denethor
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1661
Registered 3-27-2002

posted on 12-19-2007 at 12:05 AM Edit Post
Goddamn it lucky, now I'll be humming that fucking song all night!

Upon further examination, I guess I do agree that one film would work fine for The Hobbit, although I'll not hide the fact that I hope it's 3 hours or more in length. I know I'm in the minority here but, I like the slow parts. The anticipation scenes were among my favorite in LOTR. I'm speaking of the films... I do agree the books drag a little too much at times.

I think I have to go read The Hobbit again now.

OORick
Monkey on a Rock

Posts 4431
Registered 12-27-2001
Location - The Birthplace of Aviation

Mood: See You in Hell ;)

posted on 12-19-2007 at 12:23 AM Edit Post
Just saw a big article about this on Yahoo... here's the pertinent segment regarding the two-film deal:

quote:

Jackson and Walsh envisioned the first film covering the events of "The Hobbit" and the second bridging the 80-year gap between that novel and the first "Lord of the Rings" book.

It was that vision that led MGM, which holds the film rights to the book and is looking for new movie franchises, to insist that Jackson and Walsh make the films.

Sloan said the studios "would welcome as much of the original cast as possible," adding that "some of them have even said they are interested."

Again, going back to my first post, if you want to make the second movie really "hobbit-y," you probably have to back-load it in a way that it's more about the last couple of years right before LotR (with Bilbo getting antsy and Frodo and Sam and all that). If that entire 80 year span is fair game, though? Anything goes, and that could be pretty cool.

Rick

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
chretienbabacool
The Great One

Posts 3444
Registered 3-5-2003
Location Columbia, MO

posted on 12-19-2007 at 01:49 AM Edit Post
Even though it's concurrent with the Hobbit, one obvious piece of a second movie would be the driving out of the Necromancer by the wizards.

Of course, I love slow bits and plot development so I would love it if the Hobbit were made into two movies, but I would be happy with a movie at least as long as the LOTR ones.

Either way, while I had some issues with the LOTR series (leaving out Tom Bombadil is the biggest as well as having Faramir try to take the ring in the movie, which ruins the whole idea of Faramir as the noble brother), overall I loved them and I think the Hobbit, as Rick said, is simply less full of wankiness and more full of outright fun. Also, only one large battle, so as to force even more concentration on character.

Although I'm looking forward to the spider scene.

Go Cubs!

And just imagine if, instead of the Palins, the Obama family had a pregnant, underage daughter on display at their convention, flanked by her black boyfriend who "intends" to marry her. Who among conservatives would have resisted the temptation to speak of "the dysfunction in the black community"?

the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7764
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 12-19-2007 at 02:31 AM Edit Post
quote:
Originally posted by Denethor
I know I'm in the minority here but, I like the slow parts.

I'm with you, I really loved all three LOTR movies and the slow parts never bothered me at all.

And this is awesome news, for a while there it was sounding like there was no way in hell that Jackson was going to be doing The Hobbit, so I'm glad to hear everything worked out.

Denethor
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1661
Registered 3-27-2002

posted on 12-19-2007 at 06:29 AM Edit Post
A bridging movie sounds very interesting, provided they can get more of the original cast back. In fact, I think at that point they would need to get most of them back. If the movie is supposed to serve as a prologue to LOTR, it would be a perfect opportunity to provide some back story on characters like Gimli, Boromir and Faramir, Aragorn and of course Gandalf. There shouldn't be much to say about the hobbits during that time, would there? Bilbo became reclusive and Frodo grew up.

I'm dying to see how they handle Smaug. I can only picture him as the wolf-like cartoon version from the late 70's animated version.

salmonjunkie
Best There Is Was or Ever Will Be

Posts 12840
Registered 6-25-2002
Location Sunny Seattle, WA

Mood: FICKLE!

posted on 12-19-2007 at 09:52 AM Edit Post
I can't wait to see Smaug. My god that should be awesome.

Oh, the late 70s version.... One thing I must ask of Mr. Jackson. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE no songs. Or at least, not nearly as many as the animated version.

I also liked the slow bits of LOTR. In fact, I liked them even more in the extended edition. And I for one am glad that Tom Bombadil was taken out. Faramir trying to take the ring... It was done well, and showed the temptation of the ring. The way the ended Two Towers showed that he was the noble brother anyway. And my god, Faramir's scenes in the extended Return of the King was amazing. I can't believe it got cut from the theatrical version.

I'm also cool with the way they killed Saruman in the extended movie as opposed to the book. I mean, in the book it worked, but it would've just made that movie ending even longer than it was. And would be very anti-climactic as a movie.

Which makes me thing, Jackson wouldn't have to do to much changing to the Hobbit because it wasn't that long of a book in the first place. The pacing would work for a movie (minus the songs - BTW, DAMN YOU LUCKY!!!!).

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo
angstboy
cornerkicked.com

Posts 4930
Registered 12-11-2002
Location Baltimore, MD

Mood:

posted on 12-19-2007 at 02:51 PM Edit Post
I would certainly hope that the "bridge" movie would be based on Tolkien's own works in some way. I'd imagine that you could have the wizard's pushing Sauron (The Necromancer) out of Mirkwood as part of the second movie, but for some reason, I get the feeling that they'll use that bit to help draw out the Hobbit a bit. It'll be an interesting part of either film, for sure. Will Gandalf understand the implications of casting Sauron out of Mirkwood and back into Mordor? Will Sarumon's fall begin here? Will Radagast show up?

Also, they might take the opportunity in the "bridge" to touch on the Aragorn/Arwen relationship, but I hope they find a way to possibly weave in some of Middle Earth's older tales. Might not be the right time/place for that. Aragorn was running around doing stuff for Gandalf a lot before the the War of the Ring, so I get a feeling that they might take a strong focus on that. Just as long as they resist the urge to have Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli running around doing secret missions before they even met. Well, before Gimli met them, that is. I'm sure Aragorn and Legolas encountered each other, or at least could have. Anyway, I'm rambling... I'm sure there's some interesting stuff out there within Tolkien lore for them to pull from.

My only major concern is that Jackson has only agreed to executive produce and is not (as of yet) involved with the directing... or most importantly, the writing of the movies. I'm sure he'll probably get Fran Walsh and Philipa Boyens to head up the writing team, at least I hope so. They have a deep love for Tolkien's works and would know how to get things on the right track. Now, as far as a director goes, I'm hoping that Guillermo DelToro is on the top of Jackson's short list. But that's just me.

GatorBait
CancerBait

Posts 4469
Registered 10-22-2004

Mood: OH FUCK YEAH!!!

posted on 12-19-2007 at 03:22 PM Edit Post
Damn, I guess I'm the only one around here who doesn't give half a shit about this. The books bored me to tears. The movies bored me to gushing tears (not to mention the tears from having a sore ass for sitting there for 210 minutes). An inferior story to The Matrix Trilogy, but I know I'm in an extreme minority on that one.

At least they got Peter Jackson on board again and weren't forced to take Sam Raimi away from making entertaining film.

I'll leave you all to your fun masturbating, though.

angstboy
cornerkicked.com

Posts 4930
Registered 12-11-2002
Location Baltimore, MD

Mood:

posted on 12-19-2007 at 03:47 PM Edit Post
Your a moran.

chretienbabacool
The Great One

Posts 3444
Registered 3-5-2003
Location Columbia, MO

posted on 12-19-2007 at 04:34 PM Edit Post
You're entitled to your opinion gator, even if it is wrong. Now go watch mind numbingly stupid, monosyllabic actors in black leather run around in slow motion.

salmon, I guess I don't truly mind Bombadil getting taken out. I understand time limitations and that in the end wasn't a critical part of the story. I just always loved him as a character and really wanted to see what Jackson could have done.

I also understand taking the end out with the fighting in the Shire. It was a key scene showing how much the Hobbits (especially Merry and Pippin) had grown and I thought a very cool finish, but it was also long and probably unworkable with everything else.

I think Faramir is the one change I still don't countenance. We already know the ring's pull by what it did to Boromir and Bilbo, and a major point of the story is how Faramir is much more noble and yet disliked by his father, perhaps for that very reason. Even more then that, to me the scene where Faramir takes Frodo back to the city and is attacked isn't done very well. It feels rushed, tacked on and not containing much substance.

It felt more then anything like Jackson needed one more action sequence and picked that. But I'm not trying to be a fanboy here, because I did love basically the entire movie and even really liked the 20 different endings.

The bridge movie will be an odd one. The Necromancer battle could be a good one. But, how do you end the movie? Do you end it with Sauron in full reign, thus leaving a happy ending till the end of LOTR? Or do you do something else that will actually provide a happy ending?

As was mentioned, there are lots of things that could be thrown in. The corruption of Sarumon, Theoden and Denethor comes to mind. I just don't know if all bad things happening would make a good movie and more then anything I don't see where Hobbits would get involved. So I would think Jackson is going to have to make up stories, which isn't a bad thing, but it's going to be odd.

Go Cubs!

salmonjunkie
Best There Is Was or Ever Will Be

Posts 12840
Registered 6-25-2002
Location Sunny Seattle, WA

Mood: FICKLE!

posted on 12-19-2007 at 05:40 PM Edit Post
quote:
Originally posted by GatorBait
At least they got Peter Jackson on board again and weren't forced to take Sam Raimi away from making entertaining film.

Spider-Man 3 is one of the worst movies ever made.

Ever.

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo
GatorBait
CancerBait

Posts 4469
Registered 10-22-2004

posted on 12-19-2007 at 05:45 PM Edit Post
quote:
Spider-Man 3 is one of the worst movies ever made.

Ever.

Stu
Caledonian Crippler

Posts 3548
Registered 5-17-2005

posted on 12-19-2007 at 05:50 PM Edit Post
quote:
I think Faramir is the one change I still don't countenance. We already know the ring's pull by what it did to Boromir and Bilbo, and a major point of the story is how Faramir is much more noble and yet disliked by his father, perhaps for that very reason. Even more then that, to me the scene where Faramir takes Frodo back to the city and is attacked isn't done very well. It feels rushed, tacked on and not containing much substance.

It felt more then anything like Jackson needed one more action sequence and picked that. But I'm not trying to be a fanboy here, because I did love basically the entire movie and even really liked the 20 different endings.

To be honest, if Faramir had not been tempted at all it would have completely contradicted earlier parts of the story that said men are weak and the ring can even corrupt Hobbits, just a lot less quickly. Even Aragorn was tempted to take the ring when Frodo asked him to at the end of Fellowship. I think it works better with the idea of what the ring does and the Faramir's own story of wanting to prove his worth to his father.
I don't really get why some fans are upset by Tom Bombadil's absence. When I read it, he came across to me as some magical weirdo who couldn't go two minutes without singing a dozen verse song, who just gives the Hobbits some shelter for the night and says goodbye, only to show up again like ten minutes later to fight off some spiders or something, and being pretty pointless overall to me.

"WWE's like Sable's f***y: it's not been any good since 1998, and it's been fucked by Vince McMahon"-Billy Kirkwood

LuckyLopez
Reeks of WCW

Posts 12562
Registered 2-13-2003

Mood: Grieving

posted on 12-19-2007 at 05:58 PM Edit Post
quote:
Originally posted by Denethor
Goddamn it lucky, now I'll be humming that fucking song all night!

quote:
Originally posted by salmonjunkieThe pacing would work for a movie (minus the songs - BTW, DAMN YOU LUCKY!!!!).

He smiled.

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   LuckyLopez 's Aim
maclen
Showstopper

Posts 666
Registered 9-10-2003
Location 22 Acacia Ave

Mood: for a day

posted on 12-19-2007 at 06:21 PM Edit Post
So, my fellow OOsters, what is your recommendation as to what is the best DVD package of the trilogy? I don't have any of them and know I'll have to make a purchase sooner or later.

Rising From Darkness where hell hath no mercy and the screams of vengeance echo on forever, only those who keep the faith shall escape the wrath of The Metallian...
Master of all Metal

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger
Denethor
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1661
Registered 3-27-2002

posted on 12-19-2007 at 06:22 PM Edit Post
Now I have that AND the Lemmywinks song from South Park stuck in my head. Fuckers.

I liked what Jackson did with Faramir. It was a gamble in terms of pleasing the hardcore fans, but I thought he perserved the notion of the pull the ring has on humans while still capturing Faramir as noble and good and all that. Jackson has always said he did it becasuse he felt that Aragorn should be the only man that can resist the ring, and I just think that makes a lot of sense. Same goes with the passage of time during the beginning of Fellowship... he thought it just wouldn't work to have 17 years go by between Blibo's party and the beginning of the quest, and I think he was right. As for the scouring and Tom Bombadil, even LOTR needed to have a time limit, right?

The more I think about it, the more I'm sure they'll find some good stuff for a bridging movie. Tolkien wrote the history of Middle Earth like the bible... there's history of every Age in great detail, and I've come to trust Peter Jackson with picking and choosing the good stuff. Can't be worse than King Kong, anyway.

GatorBait
CancerBait

Posts 4469
Registered 10-22-2004

posted on 12-19-2007 at 06:23 PM Edit Post
This one.

maclen
Showstopper

Posts 666
Registered 9-10-2003
Location 22 Acacia Ave

Mood: for a day

posted on 12-19-2007 at 06:50 PM Edit Post
quote:
Originally posted by GatorBait
This one.

Already got it!

Rising From Darkness where hell hath no mercy and the screams of vengeance echo on forever, only those who keep the faith shall escape the wrath of The Metallian...
Master of all Metal

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger
Stu
Caledonian Crippler

Posts 3548
Registered 5-17-2005

posted on 12-19-2007 at 06:59 PM Edit Post
quote:
wouldn't work to have 17 years go by between Blibo's party and the beginning of the quest, and I think he was right.

I thought it was 50 years in the book?

Krydor
The Man

Posts 5425
Registered 10-28-2002
Location In

Mood: Going to Maiden

posted on 12-19-2007 at 07:03 PM Edit Post
Not at all interested in this "bridge" culled from Tolkien's footnotes. Just give me the Hobbit, a dragon of some sort, and a whole shitload of dwarves.

The Hobbit is a self contained book. Any sequel will be a cash grab.

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member   Krydor 's Aim   Krydor 's Yahoo
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll

go to top