The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll
Author: Subject: The Mitchell Report
GoVols
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1064
Registered 7-19-2005
Location Tennessee

Mood:

posted on 12-13-2007 at 04:10 AM Edit Post
The Mitchell Report

Well, this will deserve its own thread soon enough, but I thought we could have some fun with it before it becomes public and we all start really debating it.

Who's gonna get named?

The sources said that their are some really big names in there, so I'm going to break my guesses up into four categories.

Obvious:
1. Bonds
2. Giambi
3. McGwire
4. Raffy
5. Sosa

Suspicions
1. Clemens
2. Schilling
3. Tejada
4. Thome

I hope it doesn't happen
1. Hafner
2. ARod- yep, I really hope he's not on the list, he's too good and has a lot riding on the next 10 years of his career, hell baseball has a lot riding on it
3. Pujols

I really hope it does happen, probably because I read Deadspin and FJM too much.
1. Eckstein

What are your best guesses before the debate starts?

fsolomon75
American Dream

Posts 8481
Registered 1-25-2002
Location SoCal

Mood: WILLIE~!

posted on 12-13-2007 at 04:30 AM Edit Post
Suspicions
Luis Gonzalez
Mags
Pudge
Kent
Green
Lo Duca
Izzy
Tejada
Pujols
Thome
Schilling
Pedro

Hope Not
Wright
Piazza
Jeter
Reyes
A-Rod
Thomas
Smoltz
Griffey
DLee

Hope So
Rollins
Howard
Utley
Hamels
Myers
Chipper
Andruw
Clemens
Rogers
Soriano

[Edited on 12-13-2007 by fsolomon75]

Teh wisdom of MooseheadJack: "tpyos are not going to ruin my day today" and "the only thing carved in stone for the Mets is the look on willie's face"

The 2007 Post Of The Year

TarheelMike
The Immortal One

Posts 4845
Registered 3-6-2003
Location DFW

Mood: Medium Rare

posted on 12-13-2007 at 04:39 AM Edit Post
quote:
Originally posted by fsolomon75
Hope So
Rollins
Howard
Utley
Hamels
Myers
Chipper
Andruw
Clemens
Rogers
Soriano
Y. Molina
Heilman
V. Zambrano
Juan Samuel
Brian Jordan
Wainwright
Milledge
Gordon
Alfonseca
Glavine

Fixed.

“Pinson, with five. Looks up, drivin’ in. Maye, for the win... NORTH CAROLINA!! With point three seconds to go! An incredible shot!” - Jim Nantz, calling Carolina’s South Regional Final victory over Kentucky.

“FBIGORJAHSJDHFJGOGPDJSHCH!!!!!” - Mikey, calling Carolina’s South Regional Final victory over Kentucky

fsolomon75
American Dream

Posts 8481
Registered 1-25-2002
Location SoCal

posted on 12-13-2007 at 04:40 AM Edit Post
Well shit, this game would be more fun if we predicted each other's lists.

Teh wisdom of MooseheadJack: "tpyos are not going to ruin my day today" and "the only thing carved in stone for the Mets is the look on willie's face"

TarheelMike
The Immortal One

Posts 4845
Registered 3-6-2003
Location DFW

posted on 12-13-2007 at 04:42 AM Edit Post
quote:
Originally posted by fsolomon75
Well shit, this game would be more fun if we predicted each other's lists.

Correct you are, sir.

“Pinson, with five. Looks up, drivin’ in. Maye, for the win... NORTH CAROLINA!! With point three seconds to go! An incredible shot!” - Jim Nantz, calling Carolina’s South Regional Final victory over Kentucky.

“FBIGORJAHSJDHFJGOGPDJSHCH!!!!!” - Mikey, calling Carolina’s South Regional Final victory over Kentucky

mooseheadjack

Posts 10512
Registered 5-13-2002
Location over here

Mood: plotting evil

posted on 12-13-2007 at 05:09 AM Edit Post
this is easy

New York Mets 1985-2007
Atlanta Braves 1991-2007
New York Yankees 1921-2007

My personal fuck-off list: 1. Tony Romo 2. Eli Manning 3. The New York Yankees 4. LeBron James 5. Kobe Bryant 6. SEC Fans 7. The SEC 8. the Political Right 9. religion 10. Almost everything the WWE does

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   mooseheadjack 's Aim This User Has MSN Messenger
fsolomon75
American Dream

Posts 8481
Registered 1-25-2002
Location SoCal

posted on 12-13-2007 at 05:10 AM Edit Post
quote:
Originally posted by mooseheadjack
New York Mets 1985-2007
HEY! Beltran didn't buy anything, he was just looking.

TarheelMike
The Immortal One

Posts 4845
Registered 3-6-2003
Location DFW

posted on 12-13-2007 at 05:50 AM Edit Post
Let's see, without getting crazy or being too easy:

Suspicions:
* Big Hurt
* Kent
* Manny
* Kevin Brown
* John Rocker

Hope Not:
* Smoltz
* Griffey
* Schilling
* Ichiro
* Jeter & A-Rod (this would be on every ESPN channel 24/7 for the next 17 months)

Hope So:
* Clemens
* Bonds
* Sheff
* Robin Ventura
* Jim Leyritz

Super Grover
Showstopper

Posts 551
Registered 12-21-2002
Location On Radford, near the In-and-Out Burger

Mood: Motivated

posted on 12-13-2007 at 06:25 AM Edit Post
The baseball fan in me hopes that there isn't anyone on the list. Obviously, that's not going to happen. I would assume that Bonds, Giambi and Palmerio would be listed. I've personally felt that Tejada and Pudge are very likely candidates.

It sounds like there will be a lot of names, big and small, brought to light. It could be big.

The baseball fan in me feels like it will be a pretty sad day tomorrow - but probably one that needs to happen.

Heading for Home Blog

LuckyLopez
Reeks of WCW

Posts 12562
Registered 2-13-2003

Mood: Grieving

posted on 12-13-2007 at 07:23 AM Edit Post
What's with the Schilling suspicion? I mean, personally I think pointing figures and trying to pick users is one of the biggest problems of this witch hunt, but are ANY of the common signs pointing to Schilling? He doesn't have the physical signs. He's not a hitter obviously. He never had a dramatic increase in numbers, nor a steep decline. The major injury he recently had he had a very slow recovery from with a number of setbacks. He's a fatass and in no way a gym rat. Despite this his body hasn't broken down like steroid users sometimes do. And to the best of my knowledge he doesn't have a big hat or bacne. Why the suspicion? I mean, it would be schadenfreude for a LOT of people and would get Red Sox Nation's obnoxious asses off my back during this. So I've heard a lot of Yankee fans wish for it. But why the others? Is it just the Philly connection?

I think this is bullshit and I really don't care about steroids so I'm not playing the game. But if I was putting together a list it would look something like:

Alex Rodriguez

Derek Jeter
David Ortiz
Roy Halladay
Carl Crawford
Justin Morneau
Curtis Granderson
Grady Sizemore
Jermaine Dye
Mike Sweeney
Vlad Guerrero
Michael Young
Huston Street
Felix Hernandez

David Wright
Chase Utley
Chipper Jones
Hanley Ramirez
Chad Cordero
Ryan Braun
Albert Pujols
Derrek Lee
Jason Bay
Roy Oswalt
Ken Griffey Jr
Brandon Webb
Tim Lincecum
Matt Holliday
Andy LaRoche

David Eckstein

Then we could all agree to just move on and worry about the present and future and stop trying to rewrite the past.

Eckstein's just for my personal amusement.

EDIT: Just to contribute something, here's the list of guys the government has already outed in their investigation and who will be part of the 60 or 70 named (rumored number).

quote:
Rick Ankiel Outfielder Cardinals Signature Pharmacy
David Bell Third baseman free agent Applied Pharmacy
Marvin Benard Outfielder inactive BALCO
Barry Bonds Outfielder free agent BALCO
Paul Byrd Pitcher Indians wellness clinic
Jose Canseco Outfielder retired Applied Pharmacy
Bobby Estalella Outfielder retired BALCO
Jason Giambi Designated hitter Yankees BALCO
Jay Gibbons Outfielder Orioles Signature Pharmacy
Troy Glaus Third baseman Blue Jays Signature Pharmacy
Jason Grimsley Pitcher retired BALCO-related
Jose Guillen Outfielder Royals wellness clinic
Jerry Hairston Jr. Infielder Rangers Applied Pharmacy
Darren Holmes Pitcher retired wellness clinic
Gary Matthews Jr. Outfielder Angels Applied Pharmacy
Armando Rios Outfielder free agent BALCO
John Rocker Pitcher retired Applied Pharmacy
Benito Santiago Catcher retired BALCO
Scott Schoeneweis Pitcher Mets Signature Pharmacy
David Segui First baseman retired BALCO-related
Gary Sheffield Designated hitter Tigers BALCO
Ismael Valdez Pitcher retired wellness clinic
Randy Velarde Second baseman retired BALCO
Matt Williams Third baseman retired wellness clinic

Logically you can included confessed users such as Jim Leyritz and Ken Caminitti to the list. And guys like Roger Clemens and Andy Pettitte who were named by Grimsley. One presumes Mitchell will include them for that reason but whether he uncovered more than Grimsley's word remains to be seen.

[Edited on 12-13-2007 by LuckyLopez]

He smiled.

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   LuckyLopez 's Aim
Mirror Master
Turd Generation Superstar

Posts 21
Registered 12-13-2007

Mood:

posted on 12-13-2007 at 09:30 AM Edit Post
I can't believe that nobody's mentioned Bret Boone yet. I mean the guy had such an abrupt growth in muscle mass that Sports Illustrated actually devoted a story to it before the witch hunts began. That and he went back to sucking immediately once steroid testing began
GoVols
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1064
Registered 7-19-2005
Location Tennessee

Mood:

posted on 12-13-2007 at 03:37 PM Edit Post
Lucky, I'll tell you exactly why I'm suspicious of Schilling. When I was a kid there was a couple of the great pitchers from the 60s and 70s left in baseball and my dad would tell me how great they were. Well, when I saw Steve Carlton or Don Sutton pitch I would think, "Man, these guys stink." Yeah, they would have the occasional great game. They were good for 5-8 wins a year the last few years they pitched, but you know what, they were great at one time, but by then they were just old. Fast forward to today and you have a pretty sizable group of pitchers who are exceling in their 40's. Not just exceling, but some of them are getting better. A pitcher's peak years are normally from around 28-35. Suddenly, Schilling, Randy Johnson, Kenny Rogers, Roger Clemens and a few others are getting BETTER the older they get, while Greg Maddux and Smoltz and Glavine are showing definite signs of age. They're good for some good games, but they're no longer the dominant pitchers they used to be.

It's suspicious, that's all. And honestly the guy who's popped into my head while typing this is Nolan Ryan. He had a career resurgence in his mid-40's, which just happened to be in the early 90s when all these drugs were gaining steam. Stuff like that raises my eyebrow.

So that's why I'm so suspicious of Schilling.

tills24
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1246
Registered 7-22-2005
Location New Haven, birthplace of the hamburger sandwich.

Mood:

posted on 12-13-2007 at 04:14 PM Edit Post
I'm suspicious of any and everyone other than Greg Maddux.

"I may not be a class act, but I'm an American." -- Ron Artest on wanting to play for the Olympic team

fsolomon75
American Dream

Posts 8481
Registered 1-25-2002
Location SoCal

posted on 12-13-2007 at 04:15 PM Edit Post
And it begins...

Clemens & Pettitte named

DevilSoprano
Pee Wee's Plaything

Posts 8022
Registered 11-16-2002

Mood:

posted on 12-13-2007 at 04:37 PM Edit Post
Ya know what, I've completely changed my stance on this whole era/topic. I just don't care anymore. This report is going to be a complete slap in the face to due process, and a whole bunch of other legal/ethical shit that I don't know exact terms for. Mitchell talks to a locker room attendant who's looking to lighten his sentence. He asks clubhouse trainers and other personnel to SPECULATE on who they THINK did steroids. There's a chance he uses a classified volunteer test as a basis for who he names. He's been paid by Selig, he's a member of the Red Sox front office. This report's going to be a complete fucking sham and on that note, here is a list of guys I hope are on the report now.

David Wright
Jose Reyes
Mike Piazza
Alex Rodriguez
Derek Jeter
Bernie Williams
Mariano Rivera
Tom Glavine
Chipper Jones
John Smoltz
Greg Maddux
Chase Utley
Ryan Howard
Cole Hamels
Curt Schilling-oh wait, he's a Red Sox, nevermind
Manny & Papi-see above
Travis Hafner
Roy Oswalt
Craig Biggio
Jake Peavy
Johan Santana

just name everybody. please.

(175 to go)

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   DevilSoprano 's Aim   DevilSoprano 's Yahoo
LuckyLopez
Reeks of WCW

Posts 12562
Registered 2-13-2003

posted on 12-13-2007 at 04:54 PM Edit Post
quote:
Originally posted by GoVols
Lucky, I'll tell you exactly why I'm suspicious of Schilling. When I was a kid there was a couple of the great pitchers from the 60s and 70s left in baseball and my dad would tell me how great they were. Well, when I saw Steve Carlton or Don Sutton pitch I would think, "Man, these guys stink." Yeah, they would have the occasional great game. They were good for 5-8 wins a year the last few years they pitched, but you know what, they were great at one time, but by then they were just old. Fast forward to today and you have a pretty sizable group of pitchers who are exceling in their 40's. Not just exceling, but some of them are getting better. A pitcher's peak years are normally from around 28-35. Suddenly, Schilling, Randy Johnson, Kenny Rogers, Roger Clemens and a few others are getting BETTER the older they get, while Greg Maddux and Smoltz and Glavine are showing definite signs of age. They're good for some good games, but they're no longer the dominant pitchers they used to be.

Not for nothing... but neither is Schilling. He's pitching a level WAY lower than he was 4 years ago. His fastball is slower than it used to be and he's old. Its not a Clemens situation at all.

He smiled.

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   LuckyLopez 's Aim
mooseheadjack

Posts 10512
Registered 5-13-2002
Location over here

posted on 12-13-2007 at 05:12 PM Edit Post

[Edited on 12-13-2007 by mooseheadjack]

My personal fuck-off list: 1. Tony Romo 2. Eli Manning 3. The New York Yankees 4. LeBron James 5. Kobe Bryant 6. SEC Fans 7. The SEC 8. the Political Right 9. religion 10. Almost everything the WWE does

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   mooseheadjack 's Aim This User Has MSN Messenger
LuckyLopez
Reeks of WCW

Posts 12562
Registered 2-13-2003

posted on 12-13-2007 at 05:28 PM Edit Post
Grow the fuck up, Moose. If Jose Canseco listing people he's never met because he thinks they look like steroid users and Mitchell asking trainers and coaches to speculate and guess on names they have no knowledge of isn't a witch hunt, exactly what would you define as one?

I have no problem with legitimate evidence exposing a steroid user. Besides the fact that it can't accomplish anything. If you can actually show that they used? Fine. That Pudge is assumed a steroid user PURELY because he played in Texas and lost power near 40? Witch hunt. That Pettitte is guilty purely based on the testimony of one criminal source? Witch hunt. That we still haven't come up with one reliable tie (besides Pun's friend's friend) that Sammy Sosa used but he's still guilty? Witch hunt.

Barry Bonds used. Sheffield. Giambi. Palmeiro. Etc. I have no problem saying that. I have a problem that people we have NO evidence or flimsy evidence of get labeled guilty for life because one guy named their name. And that a guy like Schilling can be highly suspected despite having none of the traditional signs.

But never say I didn't contribute. Supposedly this is the list leaked. MLB says its not accurate. Half an hour before it gets released for real its probably not worth it but hey.

quote:
Brady Anderson, Manny Alexander, Rick Ankiel, Jeff Bagwell, Barry Bonds, Aaron Boone, Rafaeil Bettancourt, Bret Boone, Milton Bradley, David Bell, Dante Bichette, Albert Belle, Paul Byrd, Wil Cordero, Ken Caminiti, Mike Cameron, Ramon Castro, Jose and Ozzie Canseco, Roger Clemens, Paxton Crawford, Wilson Delgado, Lenny Dykstra, Johnny Damon, Carl Everett, Kyle Farnsoworth, Ryan Franklin, Troy Glaus, Rich Garces, Jason Grimsley, Troy Glaus, Juan Gonzalez, Eric Gagne, Nomar Garciaparra, Jason Giambi, Jeremy Giambi, Jose Guillen, Jay Gibbons, Juan Gonzalez, Clay Hensley, Jerry Hairston, Felix Heredia, Jr., Darren Holmes, Wally Joyner, Darryl Kile, Matt Lawton, Raul Mondesi, Mark McGwire, Guillermo Mota, Robert Machado, Damian Moss, Abraham Nunez, Trot Nixon, Jose Offerman, Andy Pettitte, Mark Pior, Neifi Perez, Rafael Palmiero, Albert Pujols, Brian Roberts,Juan Rincon, John Rocker, Pudge Rodriguez, Sammy Sosa, Scott Schoenweiis, David Segui, Alex Sanchez, Gary Sheffield, Miguel Tejada, Julian Tavarez, Fernando Tatis, Maurice Vaughn, Jason Varitek, Ismael Valdez, Matt Williams and Kerry Wood.

He smiled.

mooseheadjack

Posts 10512
Registered 5-13-2002
Location over here

posted on 12-13-2007 at 05:35 PM Edit Post
Fuck the fuck off Lopez. How ya like that?

Whatever. You believe what you want, I'll believe what I want. You want to see this all as a baseless witch hunt? Be my guest. You have also equated steroids with throwing a spit ball in the past, so whatever.

I think the notion that it is a witch hunt is bullshit, and I am sick of that term being applied to everything. Michael Vick was all a witch hunt, the steroid investigation is all a witch hunt. Nothing is ever done for a reason other than to rake someone over the coals anymore.

Whatever

EricOMac
The Rowdy One

Posts 2909
Registered 2-9-2003
Location Near Chapel Hill

Mood:

posted on 12-13-2007 at 05:39 PM Edit Post
Can't you two just get along? Come on, we're all friends here!

None of those names that Lucky posted would really surprise me. I don't know how many names that is, but in a way, I'm expecting more.

VOTE!

Winner of a lot of wrestling drafts.

“In times of crisis, the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers.”

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   EricOMac 's Aim
LuckyLopez
Reeks of WCW

Posts 12562
Registered 2-13-2003

posted on 12-13-2007 at 05:41 PM Edit Post
So you just ignore my points? You, great. Moose, you and I disagree a ton because we have different outlooks and are both stubborn. But you just WANT this. So you just believe it. So fuck you too then. If you can't answer my simple question of what exactly a "witch hunt" would be if it wasn't baseless speculation, finger pointing based on appearance, and players being considered guilty with no evidence? Then whatever. You fucking believe in aliens and pink elephants for all I care.

I'm 100% open to this being legit. I have many concerns because I've ACTUALLY READ AND KEPT MY EARS OPEN! There are REAL PROBLEMS WITH THIS! A fucking idiot could see them. If a member of the Yankee front office was running this thing you'd scream bloody murder. If Ryan Howard was named because someone said he thought Howard LOOKED like he was a roid user you'd scream bloody murder.

But am I presuming the names will have no evidence? NO! I'm waiting to see. But ultimately this is a fucking waste of time and a PR rush anyway, so I don't give a fuck. I just know I'll spend the next 20 years arguing that Pujols isn't necessarily a steroid user because some trainer of his once got busted for selling.

He smiled.

GoVols
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1064
Registered 7-19-2005
Location Tennessee

Mood:

posted on 12-13-2007 at 05:44 PM Edit Post
I have a question. What if someone, let's say Pujols gets named. Pujols never actually used and wants his name cleared. Can he sue Mitchell? What is the recourse for someone who was named incorrectly?

LuckyLopez
Reeks of WCW

Posts 12562
Registered 2-13-2003

posted on 12-13-2007 at 05:48 PM Edit Post
Depends on what was said, I suppose. But ultimately he'll probably do nothing but deny. Because as best as I understand to get any legal recourse he'd have to PROVE his innocence and prove that Mitchell knew he was innocent and had a reason to say otherwise. So its kind of a pointless task unless he's got a recording of Mitchell saying that he is gonna lie about him.

The Union will probably have an approach all worked out, but I'd bet its not much more than a "deny" and some tough negotiating.

I basically believe Mitchell is a man of integrity who is doing this on the up and up. But his conflict of interest is clear. His methods are questionable. And I'm sure he basically has a mandate to produce names, and if he couldn't find enough reliable names then he is put in a position where naming unreliable ones may happen.

He smiled.

GoVols
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1064
Registered 7-19-2005
Location Tennessee

Mood:

posted on 12-13-2007 at 05:54 PM Edit Post
But if you really didn't use and you can prove that him naming you was speculation then you'd have a pretty good case. If Solly tells me you use crack and I tell the DEA who publishes a huge ad in USA Today saying that Clucky Lopez does crack, you would have a pretty good case, even if you can't prove that you never took crack. The DEA only has heresay and printed something that can't be proven other than through speculation. I don't know, seems like there should be some sort of recourse.

fsolomon75
American Dream

Posts 8481
Registered 1-25-2002
Location SoCal

posted on 12-13-2007 at 05:59 PM Edit Post
If I'm innocent and wind up on that list or in a book (or two) detailing my alleged steroid usage, I'd be screaming bloody murder and sue for libel.

<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll

go to top