The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
New Topic New Poll
Author: Subject: Books
Papadoc
Turd Generation Superstar

Posts 10
Registered 1-14-2002
Location Albany, NY, USA

Mood: No Mood.

posted on 1-14-2002 at 05:59 AM Edit Post
Books

Just thought I'd post a few quick thoughts on the books I do have...

Mick Foley's first book was an amazing read. He can tell a story good, and I view it basically as story telling. The only problem I have with it is that he comes off with an "i'm the hot shit!" attitude through some of it. Hard to believe from Mick, but it did shine through. A landmark book as it was the first one generally accepted by the fans, by the WWF, and most importantly by the national media.
Goldberg - I'm Next Pretty good book, I grabbed it on Ebay and it was a good read for the price. I'd give it a 7/10 if Foley's was a 10. Basically, you can't expect much from these books except insight into a persons past and some interesting stories. This has both.

If anybody has and wants to get rid of the Rock's book, Chyna's, Arn Andersons, Ted DiBiases, or Kurt Angles, email me

Jaded Truth
ButtViper

Posts 9
Registered 1-19-2002
Location Georgia

posted on 1-19-2002 at 03:03 PM Edit Post
Foley did kind of come off as cocky in the extra added diary version of "Have a Nice Day." He got angry when someone who wasn't a fan wanted him to sign something, I'm sure he would have sung a different tune if it was a big breasted girl wanting him to sign her jugs.

But still the book was top of the line. Hell, I read it until it broke in half, then I bound it back together with scotch tape to read some more.

I can't wait until he puts out his new stuff.

Later, Me

"Way to go, boy! Wrestling's a damn fine sport. Hell, it's an Olympic sport...and this is offered through the school, right, not some guy in a van with a camcorder?" - Hank Hill

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
BigBlue86
Fella

Posts 448
Registered 1-11-2002

posted on 2-8-2002 at 03:21 AM Edit Post
My book revues, in a nutshell.

MF-Have a nice Day: Very good read. I only took me three days to finish.

MF-Foley is good: Also good, especially the final chapter where he discusses the PTC and various court cases bought against the WWF.

Pure Dynamite: Excellent! Critics gave Tom a dig for being a bit of a egomaniac, but hell...he's earned it! Besides, he ain't got much else. He tells many stories in regards to the Underbelly of wrestling.

It's True, It's True!: Like the Rock, too early to put a book out. It was OK, but I wouldn't have bought it for myself.

Ted DiBiase-Every Man Has His Price
Aside from misidentifying the Hogan-Andre NBC match as October 1987, rather than February 1988, it was a very good book. A lot better than I expected.

I still want to read Arn Anderson's book. I have no desire to read The Rock or Goldberg's book. I am still looking forward to Moolah's book, and I have heard musings about a "Classy" Freddie Blassie book.

I've also read If they only knew (Chyna) and really enjoyed it. I know that most people on this board seem to hate her now, and I guess that's OK, but it doesn't change the fact that it was a good read.

hfalk28
rOOkie

Posts 38
Registered 1-4-2002

posted on 2-13-2002 at 12:29 AM Edit Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigBlue86
My book revues, in a nutshell.

MF-Have a nice Day: Very good read. I only took me three days to finish.

MF-Foley is good: Also good, especially the final chapter where he discusses the PTC and various court cases bought against the WWF.

Pure Dynamite: Excellent! Critics gave Tom a dig for being a bit of a egomaniac, but hell...he's earned it! Besides, he ain't got much else. He tells many stories in regards to the Underbelly of wrestling.

It's True, It's True!: Like the Rock, too early to put a book out. It was OK, but I wouldn't have bought it for myself.

Ted DiBiase-Every Man Has His Price
Aside from misidentifying the Hogan-Andre NBC match as October 1987, rather than February 1988, it was a very good book. A lot better than I expected.

I still want to read Arn Anderson's book. I have no desire to read The Rock or Goldberg's book. I am still looking forward to Moolah's book, and I have heard musings about a "Classy" Freddie Blassie book.

I've also read If they only knew (Chyna) and really enjoyed it. I know that most people on this board seem to hate her now, and I guess that's OK, but it doesn't change the fact that it was a good read.

I'm going to have to disagree with you when it comes to Pure Dynamite.Granted, interesting, because I watched the WWF back when the Bulldogs were in their prime, and I read all of the magazines before they the Bulldogs came in, so I knew about Dynamite Kid. On the other hand, a bit of an egomaniac? That's like calling Manson a little insane! The guy thinks he's the best wrestler that ever lived and not only that, but he also basically takes credit for the success of Davey Boy Smith, Bret Hart and Chris Benoit. Plus, did you notice how many times he hurt people "accidentally"? As for the other books, I really enjoyed Foley's book, becuase he wrote from the perspective of a wrestling fan who transitioned from a fan to a wrestler and earned it. He also didn't constantly put people down. I thought the Goldberg book and the Rock books basically sucked.

New Topic New Poll

go to top