The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
New Topic New Poll
Author: Subject: Christian + TNA = what exactly?
bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7922
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

Mood: Stratusfied

posted on 7-2-2006 at 07:46 PM Edit Post
Christian + TNA = what exactly?

Seriously, I'm trying to figure out exactly what to make out of Christian's run in TNA. I mean, back when he jumped shipped I thought TNA was getting the better "brother" of the E&C tandem.

But since then?

He has yet to have any standout matches. The only promo I can recall is the car insurance bit. And he seemingly has been passed over for Sting. Although being passed over is a bit of an issue in TNA. Do new TNA fans know about Killings or Styles world title wins? Meanwhile over on RAW Edge has become to top heel and has grown to come off as one of the top stars of RAW. And the show Christian left (SmackDown!) has been so depleted that talented people are getting a better chance to shine (and on a larger stage) then what Christian has recieved from TNA.

Maybe I'm being overly critical, but there is part of me that feels Christian's only use is to use a wrestler that the WWE developed.

folby
The Great One

Posts 3399
Registered 9-11-2003
Location schmocation

Mood:

posted on 7-2-2006 at 08:06 PM Edit Post
He'll look a lot better when he's a heel. It won't help his matches, but it'll really help his promos and character.

Things I have written recently
3/24: On Sandwiches: The Beef on Weck
3/16: The Rage Against The Machine School of Continuing Education
3/15: On Sandwiches Presents: The Best Possible Sandwich Chain

View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   folby 's Aim
LuckyLopez
Reeks of WCW

Posts 12562
Registered 2-13-2003

Mood: Grieving

posted on 7-2-2006 at 08:25 PM Edit Post
I think you're being overly critical with your last statement and I'm not quite sure I agree that he hasn't gotten the chance he might have on SD (he's been the lead face in the company since his arrival, has been Sting's running buddy since day 1, and is one of those rare guys who got to pin Jarrett clean and NOT give the pin back). But I certainly agree with the overall idea. Going back to all the WWE stuff where the IWC was screaming for him to get a push I admit I never fully got it. He's entertaining on the mic and probably a bit above average in the ring but I always thought him a bit overrated. Still, he's got the talent and in a "small pond" he has the opening.

But I microplay folby. The face title run was bad. Christian lost most all that was cool about him and became a watered down cliche. "I respect this belt. I'll defend this belt. Iy means everything." That's all we heard for months on end. It made sense for him to come in face and it made sense for him to win the title from Jarrett as the conquering face. It just flopped. Now that the "new guy" and "you're getting your chance" stuff is rubbing off its time to go heel.

But I don't see how he's been passed over by Sting. They seem to be billed as equallys as they have been since their arrivals. The only differences now are that (a) Christian isn't champ so he doesn't have that immediate status symbol over Sting and (b) Christian is clearly growing ever suspicious and resentful of Sting on route to a heel turn and a feud with the guy. In the end I fully expect Sting to put Christian over (as well as cement him heel which should also help) but even in the short term I don't see Sting passing him by. Its the Jarrett/Sting/Christian feud at the moment (with Cornette, Steiner, and Joe also sneaking in there in various ways).

EDIT: So at to make clear that I'm not ignoring the TNA fuckups. Christian has been dull because:
- I think he's overrated. Especially in the ring. He could have a very good match with Abyss in the cage but when AJ Styles had made it a habit of having great matches vs Abyss there was nothing to impress you.
- He was completely neutered by his face run, which I'd asign both to his own mistakes in where to take his character and how TNA booked him.
- He really didn't have any compelling feuds or challengers, even if I don't have any complaints about them. They were all just there as title defenses.
- After winning the title he had less of a presence on TV (part bad booking and part him going off and doing a movie). Meanwhile Planet Jarrett was in full swing and thus it felt like the company was still centered around Jeff, even if Christian was running around with the belt. Easy example is that Christian should have probably been the key part of Sting's Army in the War Games match rather than having a random title match that had less heat on it.

[Edited on 7-2-2006 by LuckyLopez]

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   LuckyLopez 's Aim
Chris Is Good517
Best There Is Was or Ever Will Be

Posts 12571
Registered 1-10-2002
Location Little Rock, AR

Mood:

posted on 7-2-2006 at 09:00 PM Edit Post
I think part of why Christian's TNA run so far has been so lackluster is that he's been matched up against guys who don't complement his wrestling style at all. His three biggest programs have been with Monty Brown, Jeff Jarrett, and Abyss- none of whom are guys I think Christian can really mesh with.

I don't think anyone thought about it when Christian jumped ship, but him going to TNA wasn't much of a great move for either party when you consider that TNA's title division is pretty weak from the perspective of what their established main eventers can do as far as putting on good matches. Outside of AJ Styles, you've got a very bland heavyweight division, but if TNA had stuck Christian in the X Division, where he could have had killer matches with Joe, Daniels, Sabin, Shelley, or whoever else, people would have immediately jumped to the "oh, well he's not getting treated any better than he was in WWE". So instead he gets brought in as a face (which is totally against the grain for his character), placed in the Jarrett Division, and given three feuds against guys who are all fairly limited in terms of what they can do in ring, especially with a guy who is essentially a career heel trying to be a face. And we were all so happy to see Christian finally get some love with the TNA title that none of us stopped to think about what was going to happen to him long term.

So where does he go from here? Eh, I dunno. I definitely think a heel turn is in order, but I don't see Christian-Sting being anything standout. Christian-AJ, Christian-Daniels, or Christian-Joe, on the other hand, are potential winners.

Monday Night Flaw, a podcast about professional wrestling starring OO's own Figure Foreskin as Andy the Smarmy Host and Chris Is Good517 as Cousin Balki.

Gobshite
The Great One

Posts 3501
Registered 1-30-2004
Location Right here, in Birmingham, England!!

Mood:

posted on 7-3-2006 at 09:13 AM Edit Post
Just because I'm too lazy to look it up: Is Christian on a one year contract, or three? I think Stings only on a one year deal, but know they're starting to sign guys to longer deals now... could he return to WWE at the end of the year if he wanted?

Chris Is Good517
Best There Is Was or Ever Will Be

Posts 12571
Registered 1-10-2002
Location Little Rock, AR

Mood:

posted on 7-3-2006 at 04:10 PM Edit Post
To answer your question, Gobshite, I'm 99% sure Christian signed a 3 year deal.

Monday Night Flaw, a podcast about professional wrestling starring OO's own Figure Foreskin as Andy the Smarmy Host and Chris Is Good517 as Cousin Balki.

The Bad Guy
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1280
Registered 10-27-2002

Mood: About to change

posted on 7-4-2006 at 04:16 AM Edit Post
I don't think it helped Christian any when Abyss, Mitchell, and Shelly started to channel DDP when they stalked Mrs. Cage for a month, then Abyss threw Christian in a pool.

LuckyLopez
Reeks of WCW

Posts 12562
Registered 2-13-2003

Mood: Grieving

posted on 7-4-2006 at 04:33 AM Edit Post
Well, personal preference but I actually sort of enjoyed that angle. Mitchell was sufficently creepy and Abyss was a monster. But the feud as a whole hurt him because (a) Christian was out of the arena for the entire buildup to that first match and (b) Jarrett/Sting were in the middle of building up their armies for the War Games match and it was clearly the bigger issue.

I said it before but I just thought they screwed up there. Christian was off doing a movie and I think he showed up infront of the Impact crowd about 3 times in the next 2 months. They should have just skipped giving him a random opponent for a cage match at Lockdown with no history to it and had him on Sting's team (maybe even having Sting come up to him on TV and present it like he wanted a sort of co-captainship). Instead Abyss/Christian became a pretty good match that was in a cage for no good reason (and which was compared to AJ/Abyss last year). Like most of Christian's run it wasn't bad, it just wasn't worth remembering.

But I hated the way TNA handled Lockdown from top to bottom so...

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   LuckyLopez 's Aim
wee bull
Showstopper

Posts 576
Registered 4-10-2005
Location Over the seas and far away...

Mood: in lieu

posted on 7-4-2006 at 05:04 AM Edit Post
From what little I've seen of TNA recently, I think Christian's problem is that when he joined as a face, he basically dropped everything that got him over with people in the first place. He's not cheeky, he's not making fun of the opposition (I'd have thought that would be gold against someone TNA fans truly dislike, like Jarret), he's not being spontaneous, he's not goofy, hell, he's just not funny any more, and that was his gig. Christian was funny, and people liked him for it.

So yeah, like Folby, going heel again will do him the world of good.

[Edited on 4-7-2006 by wee bull]

View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger
Canadian Bulldog
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1889
Registered 7-28-2003
Location Yes.

Mood: EVER!!!

posted on 7-4-2006 at 01:20 PM Edit Post
I agree that Christian's appeal has always been his over-the-top heelishness. Yes, it probably made a ton of sense for him to win the title last year, when TNA needed a fresh face and a big name to shake things up.

Now, I can see him as an effective heel PROVIDED he doesn't align himself with Jarrett in any way. If the plan is for Samoa Joe to win the title (now or in the near future), then a frustrated Christian could probably give him a decent feud, but only if he's completely on his own.

The book... IS... HERE!!!
The Official Inside The Ropes website
BulldogZone : Official Inside The Ropes Merchandise
The Ridiculously Expensive Canadian BullBLOG

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   Canadian+Bulldog 's ICQ status This User Has MSN Messenger
madiq
Crusader for Pure Truth

Posts 2131
Registered 7-5-2002
Location Brooklyn, New York, the capital of the Universe

Mood:

posted on 7-4-2006 at 04:54 PM Edit Post
The question is, will Jarrett ALLOW it? Jeffrey Jacob always cuts the legs out from other main event heels by having them align with him (except for Raven, who has enough clout to remain independent), and I doubt the TNA Braintrust is firing all neurons. It'll take more creativity than I've seen from them in a while to keep Christian heel without having him buddy up with Triple J, beacon of heel heat that he is.

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   madiq 's Aim
Canadian Bulldog
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1889
Registered 7-28-2003
Location Yes.

Mood: EVER!!!

posted on 7-4-2006 at 05:06 PM Edit Post
Oh, I don't doubt that will happen, I'm just saying if they want Christian to be a STRONG heel, it would have to be without him playing second or third fiddle in a clique.

The book... IS... HERE!!!
The Official Inside The Ropes website
BulldogZone : Official Inside The Ropes Merchandise
The Ridiculously Expensive Canadian BullBLOG

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   Canadian+Bulldog 's ICQ status This User Has MSN Messenger
Mediahero
Banned

Posts 441
Registered 8-24-2005
Location Middle of England

Mood: What?

posted on 7-7-2006 at 01:29 AM Edit Post
Had Christian stayed on Smackdown, Rey Mysterio would be able to pin someone other than Gregory Helms of a Friday night.

I'm interested in seeing where this goes - Christian should turn heel, but it's hard to imagine a non-Jarrett-aligned heel being the main bad guy in TNA. It could do great things for the company, though... If Jarrett, Christian and Nash are all heels and have nothing to do with each other, that allows for three strong storylines in TNA - and at least three matches on each TNA PPV where the fans can care about the outcome and not just the "workrate".

And that's final

New Topic New Poll

go to top