The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
New Topic New Poll
Author: Subject: Signs
Chris Is Good517
Best There Is Was or Ever Will Be

Posts 12571
Registered 1-10-2002
Location Little Rock, AR

Mood:

posted on 8-4-2002 at 06:00 AM Edit Post
Signs

Man, this movie f'in RULED ALL. I was literally on the edge of my seat, not just because the movie was so freakin awesome, but also because I had to pee really bad and didn't want to get up. Anyways, you guys have to check this one out
Shastar
Showstopper

Posts 870
Registered 1-5-2002
Location VB, VA

Mood: tired

posted on 8-4-2002 at 07:16 AM Edit Post
I gotta agree, this movie was awesome. M. Night Shyamalan did a great job of giving us creepy, drama, and humor in equal doses. Tha Pantry scene will go down in history as one of the greatests "Holy shit!" scenes in movie history.

This is they way a monster/alien movie should be done.

Dan

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   Shastar 's Aim   Shastar 's ICQ status
Ultra Magnus
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1491
Registered 1-4-2002
Location Red Sox Nation

Mood: Resigned

posted on 8-7-2002 at 03:17 AM Edit Post
I'm surprised. Most of what I had heard was "Pretentious," "Crap," and, "That guy's an awful director. So you went to film school--I DON'T CARE. Stop with the intrusive camera tricks for god's sake."

I'll be waiting for the video release. I think I still need a couple months to get over how god-awful "Unbreakable" was. I still get queasy thinking about that one scene where Bruce Willis was just walking down a fucking hallway and that dickhead Shyamalan INSISTED on going around him 360 degrees for NO FUCKING REASON...now if you'll excuse me, I think I have something to add to the "Worst Movies" thread...

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   Ultra+Magnus 's Aim
Chris Is Good517

Posts 12571
Registered 1-10-2002
Location Little Rock, AR

Mood:

posted on 8-7-2002 at 05:47 AM Edit Post
Oh, I totally agree about Unbreakable... bad movie. Signs redeemed Shyamalan, though
salmonjunkie

Posts 12660
Registered 6-25-2002
Location Sunny Seattle, WA

Mood: FICKLE!

posted on 8-7-2002 at 08:26 AM Edit Post
Signs was great. I definitely had a few "oh shit" moments. The critics panned it, but I really think it was quite good. The review on AICN has a good take on the movie.

Funny thing about Unbreakable. People either loved it or hated it. I think it was his best movie.

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo
Ultra Magnus
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1491
Registered 1-4-2002
Location Red Sox Nation

Mood: Resigned

posted on 8-8-2002 at 02:45 AM Edit Post
Okay, I lied. My friend and I had a choice between waiting almost an hour for Bourne Identity, or watching Signs, and he wanted to give it a shot. For a $5.50 "bargain" matinee, I was willing to give it a shot, so, now, having seen Signs...

THAT WAS THE MOST PRETENTIOUS, INTELLECTUALLY INSULTING LOAD OF BULLSHIT I HAVE EVER SEEN.

I don't want to include any spoilers here, so I'll choose my words carefully.

Before you put your hard-earned money down on the counter to go see Signs, there are a few things you should know.

1. This is not a movie about aliens, monsters, crop circles, or the like. The advertising of this movie is completely misleading. This is a movie about faith. Nothing wrong with that, in principle, but...

2. This movie is not subtle about its message. In fact, it repeatedly insults your intelligence, as if you couldn't put two and two together.

3. The movie is poorly directed, and the dialogue ranges from "crap" to "crap, but it's cute 'cause of that lil' raggamuffin who's sayin' it! Awwwwww!"

4. For the record, there are something like 40 "Holy Shit" moments in the first two Alien movies that the "Pantry Scene" can't hold a candle to. Given that it's in 41st place and we've only explored two movies, it won't likely be remembered in a couple months, let alone a few years.

5. People actually walked out of this movie at the showing I saw. Left. Didn't come back.

Overall, if you're thinking about what's happening--at all--during this movie, you're gonna be miserable.

Quick capsule review:

Piece of shit.

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   Ultra+Magnus 's Aim
chirs3
ButtViper

Posts 6
Registered 8-5-2002
Location Ogden, UT

Mood: No Mood.

posted on 8-8-2002 at 04:29 PM Edit Post
Sorta agree with the guy above... Sorta not.

I think they wimped out on the invasion, and the message was pretty blatant.

But as long as you're just there to get the shit scared out of you, it's a fine film. Don't go in expecting anything more than that.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   chirs3 's Aim   chirs3 's ICQ status This User Has MSN Messenger   chirs3 's Yahoo
maestrom4
Banned

Posts 112
Registered 2-7-2002
Location Worcester, MA

Mood: No Mood.

posted on 9-11-2002 at 01:19 PM Edit Post
Gotta agree with Magnus here. This movie was way too obvious after having seen Unbreakable and Sixth Sense, which I think most people have. I waited till the credits were half done rolling for this movie to swerve and redeem itself. Well.... didn't happen. I won't be springing for the dvd, maybe i'll catch it when it's on Fox in 8 years.
salmonjunkie

Posts 12660
Registered 6-25-2002
Location Sunny Seattle, WA

Mood: FICKLE!

posted on 9-19-2002 at 06:33 AM Edit Post
Why does there have to be a swerve, just because M. Night's last two movies had one?

I like the idea that while there is this alien invasion thing going around the rest of the world, the whole movie focuses on simply this family's ordeal through it, whereas most movies that have an alien invasion, it shows the effects of what's going on to a whole community (or society) of people. It's a unique perspective, I think.

And yeah, I even like that the main theme is faith, and I'm not even religious.

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo

New Topic New Poll

go to top