The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll
Author: Subject: Would you buy a wrestling championship belt?
Dead Snoopy
Showstopper

Posts 757
Registered 1-25-2003
Location canada

Mood: Conscious

posted on 11-8-2005 at 12:32 AM Edit Post
Would you buy a wrestling championship belt?

Every now and then I peruse these old wrestling sites of defunct territories and wonder what physically happened to the champion ship belts. Be they tag-titles, or women's titles or cruiserweight titles, they all physically ended up somewhere. Sometimes wrestlers even sell them on eBay.

If you had the money to pay for one of these belts, how much would you be willing to pay for one (or more) and what would you do with it/them?

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   Dead+Snoopy 's ICQ status
y2jnewhero
And I am AWESOME

Posts 139
Registered 8-23-2004

Mood:

posted on 11-8-2005 at 12:43 AM Edit Post
there are only 2 belts that I would shell out the money for:

1) WWF Heavyweight (winged eagle 90's style)
2) WWF Intercontinental (rectangular 90's style)

... I would be willing to pay $150 (I think they're like $300 on highspots though - maybe?) and I would wear them around my house and do my best Fink impersonation - "and the NEW World Wrestling Federation Champion..." - perhaps whip them around like Warrior did when he had them both

microplay_24
The Great One

Posts 3193
Registered 1-10-2004
Location Toronto, Ontario

Mood:

posted on 11-8-2005 at 01:01 AM Edit Post
Very interesting you ask, because i do actually own one. And it's not a replica, but the real thing. I"ve got an actual classic WWF Intercontinental title belt, and you can see a picture of it in my sig. Bought it off someone on beltmarks.com for $10, 000 Canadian, including shipping and customs charges.

So what do i do with the belt?? Nothing really. I've had it since June 2004, and it sits on my desk folded. In that period of time, i've only taken it out of my house 3 times, once to a Holloween party last year. Aside from that, i don't wear it, but just have it on display on my desk beside my computer. NO frame or anything for it either, except a velvet carrying bag that came with it.

As to how i got the belt?? I found someone on beltmarks.com that owned the first WWF IC title belt every made/and sold to the general public, and so i bought it from him. He had the belt for only 3 months at that point and wasn't willing to part with it, but money talked. Got the belt a number of weeks later, and i've been very happy with it ever since.

The belt is now worth over $10, 000 US right now, and i would never sell it. If you actually want a belt, visit www.wrestlingsuperstore.com, and they make you real ones by hand, or repilicas that are much cheaper. You can also visit a particular beltmaker's sight (name - Dave Millican) at http://davemillicanbelts.com/index2.htm, and check out his belts there.

Another bit of info. is that the one who makes the current WWE belts since the attitude era is Joe Marshall,, while Reggie Parks is the one who actually makes the classic WWF belts from the late 1980s, early 1990s. To get belts from Joe, visit http://s89569985.onlinehome.us/beltster/, and www.wrestlingsuperstore.com to pick up a belt by Reggie.

That's about all the info. i could gather, but if i had one thing to say about my belt, i'd say it's truly one-of-a-kind. Get one if you can, but it'll cost you $2500 US plus a waiting period of 4-5 months for the belt to be made.

That's just about it.

Microplay - first ever OOWF World Heavyweight Champion

Owner of The "Reggie IC" #002
2004 bOOardies - Breakthrough Poster of The Year

tills24
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1246
Registered 7-22-2005
Location New Haven, birthplace of the hamburger sandwich.

Mood:

posted on 11-8-2005 at 01:37 AM Edit Post
I'd like to have a winged eagle belt, just to piss my GF off and wear it around (she hates wrestling), but I can't justify the $250 just for that...
And to let you know how far I go for my own enjoyment, I blew $100 on a fantasy football championship ring just to wear it to the draft this year and talk smack about...

Rascal Friskers
Creepy Little Bastard

Posts 82
Registered 8-25-2002
Location Athens, GA

Mood:

posted on 11-8-2005 at 01:42 AM Edit Post
I'd probably narrow it down to 3 choices.

1.) A domed globe NWA World title. (I grew up on old school NWA, so it's my holy grail of pro wrestling.)

2.) The World Class Heavyweight title. (WCCW was my all time favorite fed before it folded.)

3.) The Mid-Atlantic Heavyweight title. (The old version w/ the white main plate used in the 80s... MACW was the promotion that introduced me to pro wrestling, so I've got a soft spot for that particular belt.)

FusionFistCutter
The Great One

Posts 3411
Registered 4-10-2003
Location Columbus, Ohio

Mood:

posted on 11-8-2005 at 02:06 AM Edit Post
Micro, how old a guy are you?

!

microplay_24
The Great One

Posts 3193
Registered 1-10-2004

Mood:

posted on 11-8-2005 at 02:27 AM Edit Post
I'm 24, just so you know.

mooseheadjack

Posts 10512
Registered 5-13-2002
Location over here

Mood: plotting evil

posted on 11-8-2005 at 02:34 AM Edit Post
what is 10,000 Canadian, like $1.50 American ?

My personal fuck-off list: 1. Tony Romo 2. Eli Manning 3. The New York Yankees 4. LeBron James 5. Kobe Bryant 6. SEC Fans 7. The SEC 8. the Political Right 9. religion 10. Almost everything the WWE does

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   mooseheadjack 's Aim This User Has MSN Messenger
microplay_24
The Great One

Posts 3193
Registered 1-10-2004

Mood:

posted on 11-8-2005 at 03:00 AM Edit Post
Heh. Well, i paid $6000US originally for the belt (bought it much more than what it was for), then paid customs charges plus purolator for another 1800 Canadian or so, so someone can do the math. All i know is the price of the belt is now significantly higher than the $2500US it was initially bought for, and i don't believe i'll ever be selling the belt anytime soon...

Just having friends and family see it every time (in awe) is priceless

mooseheadjack

Posts 10512
Registered 5-13-2002
Location over here

posted on 11-8-2005 at 03:03 AM Edit Post
hell if I had that kind of money to blow, I would do something like that too, but I would wear it all the time

My personal fuck-off list: 1. Tony Romo 2. Eli Manning 3. The New York Yankees 4. LeBron James 5. Kobe Bryant 6. SEC Fans 7. The SEC 8. the Political Right 9. religion 10. Almost everything the WWE does

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   mooseheadjack 's Aim This User Has MSN Messenger
FusionFistCutter
The Great One

Posts 3411
Registered 4-10-2003
Location Columbus, Ohio

Mood:

posted on 11-8-2005 at 03:09 AM Edit Post
What did they say once you told them what you paid for it? Please tell me you've been on your own and successful for awhile now and not living in your parents basement spending 10 grand on a wrestling belt.

!

microplay_24
The Great One

Posts 3193
Registered 1-10-2004

Mood:

posted on 11-8-2005 at 03:27 AM Edit Post
Folks, i must point out, i'm a 24 year-old spoiled brat. My dad owns a plaza and we have a family business, and i get to work WHENEVER i want. I mostly blow my money on gadgets (smallest laptops/camcorders in the world - i own each one of them to tell you the truth), but being a belt mark and a wrestling fan, i had to get the one belt i set my eyes on since i was a kid, a real IC title belt.

Anyway,

Next up on my spree is a custom Jackson electric guitar, which i'm getting for roughly 4000 CAN, around December. Yes, i'm an electric guitarist. I don't spend often, but when i do, i really spend.

My mom freaked the hell out when i told her i was dishing 6000US for a wrestling belt, and she thought i was crazy. But i knew what i wanted, and i knew i was going to get it. Finally i forced my parents into the deal, and hence the money was given away.

FFC - i actually do still live with my parents. But how can i go wrong living in a 3-floor house that's being secured by family, without having to pay a dime ony my end?? I'm spoiled guys...try not to be like me

[Edited on 11-8-2005 by microplay_24]

mooseheadjack

Posts 10512
Registered 5-13-2002
Location over here

posted on 11-8-2005 at 03:31 AM Edit Post
well at least you're honest

microplay_24
The Great One

Posts 3193
Registered 1-10-2004

Mood:

posted on 11-8-2005 at 03:35 AM Edit Post
yep.

benoitbrokemyneck
John Edwards is a faggot.

Posts 4109
Registered 3-17-2002
Location Inside The Internets

Mood: not dead yet

posted on 11-8-2005 at 03:38 AM Edit Post
So have any pro-wrestlers really worn that thing? Maybe Perfect or Hart?
microplay_24
The Great One

Posts 3193
Registered 1-10-2004

Mood:

posted on 11-8-2005 at 03:56 AM Edit Post
Now that would be a completely different ball game if it were true...

Initially, i wanted a ring-used IC belt, and i went all across the internet searching sites to try and find one. A guy said he knew of one, but i found out it was a fraud, by contacting another belt maker about the situation. Then when i looked up 'real wrestling belts' in google one day, i saw a picture of the current belt i now own. I found out from the beltmakers that it was the first one of its kind shipped to a customer, and that it was shipped to Chicago. After searching wrestling belt sites further, I found a forum/member who had a picture of that same IC belt in his sig. Checked his user info., and he was from Chicago. Knowing that belts take 3 months to make and that he had one, i knew this guy had the first belt made out there.

I e-mailed a guy named Russ Miller who makes internet deals happen, and he lived in Ohio. Contacted him, he contacted the guy in Chicago who owned the belt, and we eventually worked out a deal, though not at first. Then the belt was sent to Columbus Ohio where Russ lived (from Chicago), and to Toronto to my front door. And that's the story.

The thing is, i don't own a ring-used wrestling belt, but i do own the first of its kind that was sold to the general public, and is actually real.

That's about it.

folby
The Great One

Posts 3399
Registered 9-11-2003
Location schmocation

Mood:

posted on 11-8-2005 at 04:10 AM Edit Post
I'm kind of confused. So what you've essentially got is a high-grade replica? It's handmade and such, but still a replica, no?

Things I have written recently
3/24: On Sandwiches: The Beef on Weck
3/16: The Rage Against The Machine School of Continuing Education
3/15: On Sandwiches Presents: The Best Possible Sandwich Chain

View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   folby 's Aim
microplay_24
The Great One

Posts 3193
Registered 1-10-2004

Mood:

posted on 11-8-2005 at 04:23 AM Edit Post
The handmade ones are the real deal, and use different metals for the plates. The biggest difference is they're also made of real leather, while SOME of the replicas aren't. Actually, it's the fact that they're handmade that sets them appart from the replicas in the first place.

Replicas cost $300, real handmade belts cost $2500, and are made by the beltmaker of the WWF/E. But i'll also go on to mention that real belts didn't start being sold until sometime in 2003 i believe, and they are numbered as they are made. Mine has #2 written on it, but that's because the first IC belt made was made on yellow leather (like Warrior's at Wrestlemania 6). Mine on the other hand was the second belt, but first one on black leather, for actual sale to the general public.

So that's why my sig. states that i'm the owner of the first, referring to the first belt handmade on black leather to be ever put for actual sale. Ring-used belts are likely out there, but are rare to find. The closest one i came to almost buying was Jim Duggan's TV title, but lost the bidding.

Anyway, point being that 'replicas' and 'handmade' belts are completely different, as the handmade ones take more time to make and are the real deal, while replicas are cheap imitations of the real belts, and cost a 10th of the amount.

folby
The Great One

Posts 3399
Registered 9-11-2003
Location schmocation

Mood:

posted on 11-8-2005 at 04:40 AM Edit Post
I don't really see it that way. What makes a belt a real professional wrestling belt is that it was used in a professional wrestling context, which you call ring used. What you've got is a handmade reproduction of the real thing. It's made of high-quality authentic materials, and it's made by the guy who made the real one, but it's still a reproduction of the real thing. But that's just my opinion.

Things I have written recently
3/24: On Sandwiches: The Beef on Weck
3/16: The Rage Against The Machine School of Continuing Education
3/15: On Sandwiches Presents: The Best Possible Sandwich Chain

View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   folby 's Aim
microplay_24
The Great One

Posts 3193
Registered 1-10-2004

Mood:

posted on 11-8-2005 at 04:52 AM Edit Post
I see what you're saying folby. The only difference between my belt and the ones the WWE uses is that the wrestlers wore them on tv. But both belts are exactly the same. What i'm suggesting is that the 'replicas' that do exist are much cheaper, while the belts made for the WWE and now to the public are handmade. Reggie Parks, who makes the belts actually signs a certificate of authenticity stating the belts are made exactly the same as the ones on tv, just not 'used' in the ring.

So hey, if i walked around an arena with my belt and a 100 other guys with belts, chances of their's being the real deal is 1 in 10, 000. I see lots of belts on tv, but i doubt people dish-out the money to buy the real thing. If they just used my actual belt on tv, then it would be ring-used, but still real.

I do see what you're saying though.

fsolomon75
American Dream

Posts 8481
Registered 1-25-2002
Location SoCal

Mood: WILLIE~!

posted on 11-8-2005 at 05:35 AM Edit Post
I can't even fathom spending that kind of cabbage on a belt, replica or not, but hey micro, more power to you, dude. The pic looks really cool. I would totally wear that out in public and be a total pimp.

Anyway, I would love to get my hands on Dibiase's million dollar belt. I always marked for that when I was a kid. Either that or Flair's pixelated belt when he first came to the WWF.

Teh wisdom of MooseheadJack: "tpyos are not going to ruin my day today" and "the only thing carved in stone for the Mets is the look on willie's face"

The 2007 Post Of The Year

microplay_24
The Great One

Posts 3193
Registered 1-10-2004

Mood:

posted on 11-8-2005 at 06:22 AM Edit Post
I'd stick to Debaise's replica belt, fsolmon

The real one was specially made by a jeweler (not ANY of the WWF/E beltmakers) for approxomately $50, 000. That makes it more expensive than probably any belt ever produced, unless the 'Flair Gold' and Cena's WWE title have anything to say about, though i'd doubt it.

Anyway, you can check here for Debiase's replica belt, and all other belt inquiries if you wish:

http://secure.wrestlingsuperstore.com/superstore/customer/index.cfm?action=detail&ProductId=8258

Jheaton
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1547
Registered 9-12-2004

Mood:

posted on 11-8-2005 at 08:42 AM Edit Post
Micro, i think the only proper thing to do with your belt is to wear it to hold your pants up Like when Jericho won the TV title and tried to wrestle with it on.

I wonder what happened to the original IC title, the one that Pat Patterson won in rio?

Gobshite
The Great One

Posts 3501
Registered 1-30-2004
Location Right here, in Birmingham, England!!

Mood:

posted on 11-8-2005 at 11:44 AM Edit Post
I think it's explained pretty well on the Flair DVD that the pixelated belt was the belt Batista now wears - well, maybe not the same belt, but exactly the same design. It was the NWA World title, which he 'owned' as he placed a deposit on it (apparently you had to do this when they made you the champ). As they wouldnt give him his deposit back when he was leaving, he kept the belt.

When the NWA finally managed to get it back (I dont know whether they just stumped up the cash or took WWF to court), they ran the angle where he was being censored - and the belt he actually wore to the ring was a Tag Team Championship belt. So a 'pixelated' belt never really existed.

fsolomon75
American Dream

Posts 8481
Registered 1-25-2002
Location SoCal

Mood: WILLIE~!

posted on 11-8-2005 at 01:47 PM Edit Post
quote:
Originally posted by microplay_24
I'd stick to Debaise's replica belt, fsolmon

The real one was specially made by a jeweler (not ANY of the WWF/E beltmakers) for approxomately $50, 000. That makes it more expensive than probably any belt ever produced, unless the 'Flair Gold' and Cena's WWE title have anything to say about, though i'd doubt it.

Anyway, you can check here for Debiase's replica belt, and all other belt inquiries if you wish:

http://secure.wrestlingsuperstore.com/superstore/customer/index.cfm?action=detail&ProductId=8258
Sweet...only $400! I guess everybody's got a price huh?

Teh wisdom of MooseheadJack: "tpyos are not going to ruin my day today" and "the only thing carved in stone for the Mets is the look on willie's face"

The 2007 Post Of The Year

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll

go to top