The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: New Wrestling Reviews Website...
The Evil Wizard
Banned

Posts 192
Registered 7-17-2005

Mood: Evil

posted on 8-25-2005 at 06:05 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
New Wrestling Reviews Website...

I am planning to create a new wrestling reviews website in the next few weeks. The reason being is that I find archived reviews of PPVs unreliable and riddled with zeigheist biased. For an example of what I mean read any review Scott Keith wrote of a WCW PPV in the late 90s or try the The Rick's recent review of Summerslam 2005.

I don't want to rival these internet-wrestling leviathons I simply wish to offer an alternative resource.

To begin with the site's aim with be to review every single Coliseum Home Video the WWF released including all of the PPVs (using the old WF#01 catalogue numbers). I want to offer level-headed, measured evaluations of these videos free from the concerns of whatever the currents behind the scenes issues are. Similar to what Adam does with his Old-Thyme Rasslin' Re-Revues only more exhaustive.

Now this is obviously a huge aim and I will not be able to do it alone.

I need some willing volunteers from this here forum to contribute their reviews so that together we can build an exhaustive database. Each video or event needent only have one review - each reviewer can have his say on every single release should he wish.

If you are interested in becoming a reviewer just U2U me and we'll take it from there.

I have A LOT of the old Coliseum Home Videos but I don't have them all.

To begin with I am going to concentrate on the more obscure videos - things like the Wrestlefests, the Supertapes, Battle of the Superstars, "Smack 'em Whack 'em", "Hottest Matches" etc.

But obviously we need review for all the Wrestlemanias, Summerslams and other events from 1985 to now. It is a HUGE task and I'll be needing at least 10 reviewers.

Please Note: This site is purely going to be a resource site. There will be no columns, no Raw re-caps, no title histories etc. There are other sites for that - this site is solely for Reviews of Wrestling shows to inform and to amuse.

NB: If your name is 2Hot, you need not apply.

Operation Retard
Beats me, I'm gay!

Posts 3301
Registered 1-4-2002

Mood:

posted on 8-25-2005 at 06:15 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
who cares?

she looks like a horse.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   Operation+Retard 's Aim
2HoT
The Immortal One

Posts 4818
Registered 3-23-2002
Location Yermomsbox PA

Mood: Cock-sure

posted on 8-25-2005 at 06:16 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Aww man! I totally could have reviewed my "Best Of Damien" tape.

On a more serious note, anything that takes time away from you posting here is great in my books.

Oh, and go fuck yourself.

Who wants soup?

The Evil Wizard
Banned

Posts 192
Registered 7-17-2005

posted on 8-25-2005 at 06:21 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
It shouldn't affect my posting time 2Hot.

Oh, and sit and spin asshole - you've been a prick ever since the first day I posted here.

Just why are you called 2HOT again? In tribute to Brian Christopher?

[Edited on 8-25-2005 by The Evil Wizard]

2HoT
The Immortal One

Posts 4818
Registered 3-23-2002
Location Yermomsbox PA

posted on 8-25-2005 at 06:34 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Seriously d00d, if you are going to try to insult me, at least try to make sure you finger the right tag team partner.

You can speculate all you want about my name. It doesn't change the fact that you claimed to have called a truce yet continue to take pot shots at me in private and in public.

You're right about one thing. I have been a prick. Except it was looooooong before you ever posted here. It will likely be loooooooong after you cease posting here.

For the record, (and many of the people around here can back me up on this) I rarely keep going after people who don't deserve it.

Who wants soup?

bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7922
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

Mood: Stratusfied

posted on 8-25-2005 at 06:48 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
An alternative resource?

What? Is obsessedwithwrestling.com, titlehistories.com, and Scott Keith's Rants not good enough?

Are the wwe.com websites not good enough?

Do people not know how to use google?

And more so, what makes you think people who would want to do such reviews would want to do them for YOU? Are you that special?

Fuck, if you want to make a wrestling site...how about one that goes beyond reviews...we have enough of those and 99% of them suck and blow at the same time.

2HoT
The Immortal One

Posts 4818
Registered 3-23-2002
Location Yermomsbox PA

posted on 8-25-2005 at 06:55 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Well OBVIOUSLY his would be teh BEST~!!!11!1

Who wants soup?

The Evil Wizard
Banned

Posts 192
Registered 7-17-2005

posted on 8-25-2005 at 06:56 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Actually BFG, I don't believe there is a single wrestling website that reviews all of the Colisum home viedeos in the way that I am suggesting.

The one that comes closest - Scott Keith's Rants - is full of doggerel and bloated opinion.

If you re-read exactly what I said I suggested that my site would do nothing but reviews - no title histories, no archive info, nothing like that.

Those sites you listed there are precisely that.

This would offer something different.

I never said I was special I simply said I wanted to make a site that reviewed every WWF video. It is not difficult to understand.

2Hot - once again truce - you haven't been that much of a prick. Apologies.

2HoT
The Immortal One

Posts 4818
Registered 3-23-2002
Location Yermomsbox PA

posted on 8-25-2005 at 07:03 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
You see Goalie, what we have here is someone who believes that his opinions are not bloated.

It may be news to you, but Scott Keith thinks his opinions are perfectly reasonable.

Who wants soup?

The Evil Wizard
Banned

Posts 192
Registered 7-17-2005

posted on 8-25-2005 at 07:05 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
The MAIN problem with Scott Keith is that his reviews were all written a couple of nights after the event in most cases. His late 90s reviews really suffer as a result.

This is not his fault, it is impossible to abstact oneself from a particular moment. But we would be writing reviews with the benefit of hindsight.

As there would be more than one reviewer and review for each video opinions would always be kept in check by the views of others.

If somebody can find me a site that has already done this then please link them here and it will save me the hassle.

I don't actually believe it has been done - I've certainly never come across a site that does it.

bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7922
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

Mood: Stratusfied

posted on 8-25-2005 at 07:11 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Yes...and it's not hard to understand that it's been done before!!! We don't need a gazillion wrestling websites that are a "resource" of old shows. And if you're going to...keep in mind that there are other "resource" sites out there that offer more info and do it very well. Hell, some of them go past 1985 even!

Honestly, nobody is going crazy because there's no site out there with 100% boring and complete play by play of old WWF shows. In fact, most people like the reviewer to give an opinion and be a little subjective....and if that's what you are trying to do then your comments about Keith are absurdly snobbish.

It's nice that you want to do it...but something tells me IF you do finish the site the same amount of people will care about that as they will about FFC's latest bowel movement. And till then all you are doing is hyping a concept we can all find in practice right now if we use google.

Alana
Legend Thriller

Posts 1081
Registered 1-23-2003
Location Soviet Georgia

Mood:

posted on 8-25-2005 at 07:13 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Just wondering, but why is this new website of yours even necessary?

As goalie pointed out, there are a million sources out there for wrestling reviews. Your problem with Rick and Scott Keith's rants is not that they are biased; they're biased in a direction that you don't care for. Hell, Keith's bashing of late-90s WCW PPVs was completely warranted, if you ask me, and any information of backstage goings-on and political crap provides a context for what's going on in the ring and why... especially when a PPV completely sucks. I want to know what the hell was going on when a fed puts on a crappy show.

When I'm looking for a review of an old show, I want to know just a few simple things: 1) Who wrestled, 2) who won and how, and 3) was the match any good? Whether or not there is any behind-the-scenes talk in the review is irrelevant if those three questions have already been answered, and in fact can be pretty useful and interesting. All that information is already out there. Re-reviewing all these PPVs simply to omit that one aspect of the shows seems unnecessary, redundant, and self-indulgent.

Edit: damn, you guys post quickly. So your site will offer nothing but reviews, as opposed to sites that offer reviews and lots of other relevant information? Uh... I don't get it. You'll be different by offering less?

[Edited on 8-25-2005 by Alana]

Assaulted by The Man on two separate occasions!

Proud winner of the 2004 & 2005 BOOardie - Best Avatar. Beat that, bitches!

The Broad's Blog

The Evil Wizard
Banned

Posts 192
Registered 7-17-2005

posted on 8-25-2005 at 07:19 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I think you misunderstand me BFG.

I'm not interested in doing play by plays and the site will be VIDEO rather than PPV based.

This means that all of the WWF's video releases will be are reviewed.

Of course the reviews will have opinons in them BUT the opinons will have the benefit of hindsight. Keith Scott can be a very good reviewer it is just that so many of his reviews haven't aged well - he even started re-doing them himself.

This site could act as a guide, I suppose, to all the videos out there in various 2nd hand stores and on e-bay.

I mean if you really have such a problem with the idea, you could always just not visit it...

Alana
Legend Thriller

Posts 1081
Registered 1-23-2003
Location Soviet Georgia

Mood:

posted on 8-25-2005 at 07:23 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Or, you could not bother actually making the website and save yourself and a slew of recappers a hell of a lot of time. Good lord, man. As much as you post, when the hell do you find time to work?

The Broad's Blog

The Evil Wizard
Banned

Posts 192
Registered 7-17-2005

posted on 8-25-2005 at 07:25 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
No website is "absolutely necessary". This will simply be the first fully EXHAUSTIVE WWF video reviews website.

I can't actually find that many sites that offer reviews of all the PPVs from Wrestlemania 1 let alone the videos.

If you want list them here - I am prepared NOT to make the site if I see that someone has already made such a site. So far I've only been given Scott Keith - and he is good but shouldn't be the ONLY one doing it.

I have already mentioned that the reviews wont really do 're-caps' as such, just reviews, play-by-play is uneccessary and A LOT of work.

Alana
Legend Thriller

Posts 1081
Registered 1-23-2003
Location Soviet Georgia

Mood:

posted on 8-25-2005 at 07:31 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I don't need to make a list. There's just one:

www.google.com

Go to town.

The Broad's Blog

The Evil Wizard
Banned

Posts 192
Registered 7-17-2005

posted on 8-25-2005 at 07:36 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
But that's the thing. There simply aren't any. There aren't.

Yes there are sites listing the matches.

Yes there are sites listing what is on each video.

Yes there are sites which have lots of reviews (um... OO, Keith Scott... anymore).

But I can't find a single site that does what I've said I want to do here.

But you know what - f**K it, I can't be bothered now, just an idea that's all.

Slade
The Immortal One

Posts 4735
Registered 11-10-2002
Location Wherever I Damn Well Please

Mood: 423-GET-FAME

posted on 8-25-2005 at 09:07 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
If making this website is what you want to do, then go ahead and do it. You should not say, "oh fuck it, the OOsters hate my idea, and now I'ma gonna go put my Smiths albums on 'n sulk for a few hours before I get me a gun 'n put a fuckin' bullet in my head."

You have made your appeal to the OO membership to give you a helping hand, if no one offers, then try finding other people interested in your idea to help you. What does it matter that four people have registered their opinions against your proposed project? So what if they do not like it. I, myself, think it would be a tedious project and have no interest in spending my time writing or reading such reviews. But my opinion is inconsequential. It is not up to me or 2HoT or BFG to give you the green light. If it is something you want to do, go to town.

And let me give you a word of advice, Evil Wizard. You have come to wrong place to ask for an opinion about something you would like to do. Some people on this message board will offer reasonable assessments of your idea and give you constructive feedback, be it positive or negative. Others, like 2HoT and OpTard might only respond to you in a reasonable fashion if they like you and/or you have been a member of this message board since at least October 23rd, 2003. And when guys like them are the first ones to chime in and crap all over your idea, it is more likely than not that you will not receive constructive criticism. Therefore, I say unto you, if you want good feedback, do not ask a question around here. This message board is more often than not the wrong place to do it.

Finally, I wish you good luck in getting your video tape project off the ground.

The award for the most laughable cringe-worthy attempt at clever colour commentary goes to:

"When you're dating The Architect, you start to get some more plans." - Renee Young, Extreme Rules 2019

2HoT
The Immortal One

Posts 4818
Registered 3-23-2002
Location Yermomsbox PA

posted on 8-25-2005 at 09:11 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
My, aren't we the clever one. Switching the first and last names of Scott Keith as a show of disrespect. Bravo good sir. You are truely an ignoranus.

And seriously, if you are so easily put off your idea, how can you honestly expect anyone else to get behind it. Good God man, whether or not we think it's a good idea, at least have the damned courage to stand by your convictions.

Who wants soup?

Firebreaker Chip
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1396
Registered 1-21-2004
Location Shangri-La

Mood: Wolveriffic

posted on 8-25-2005 at 09:40 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I was just wondering how come Scott Keith stopped doing his rants at OO? It just seems like out of the blue he left for 411.

On-topic, I could care less if a compilation of the Coliseum Videos existed, but if you want people to actually read your reviews then I don't suggest a new website. All you have to do is probably pitch your idea to 411 or Insidepulse. Between them they have a ton of recappers and always seem to be getting more. If you really want to do it I would say go there. A new website won’t get as much as traffic as those other sites and in those sites you will be perfectly able to do your reviewing style.

Lastly, if you did some of the Clashes that Scott Keith never did, I might read your columns.

The Evil Wizard
Banned

Posts 192
Registered 7-17-2005

posted on 8-25-2005 at 09:48 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
http://www.hotmale.com

This is probably the best videos and "meeting" site right now.

Firebreaker Chip this is probably a sensible idea. I'll pick you up on the way there, you fresh fruit!

I'll pitch an idea to firstly to The Rick to review the sorts of things that HAVEN'T been done between men- about a million and one WWF home videos presented by Sean Mooney and things like Wrestlefest 1988, 1991 are what I'm going to start with and then I'll work my way through the rest of them, I don't care how many guys scream about it.

If he doesn't want me maybe broadway will.

This way nobody has to go through the ardious task of recapping the Royal Rumbles and Wrestlemania yet again.

I will write to The Rick tomorrow.

I want to be a staaaaaaarrrrrrrrr!

borntorun
God of This World

Posts -8684
Registered 7-22-2003
Location Breathe

Mood: House, Monk-E

posted on 8-25-2005 at 09:52 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
And when these reviews do go up, have the decency to write in paragraph form, please.

Onward and upward, good sir.

Fake McCoy Comics

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   borntorun 's Aim
Bonestein
The Rowdy One

Posts 2712
Registered 7-24-2002

Mood: partypartyparty

posted on 8-25-2005 at 10:06 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I think you guys are missing the bright side to this- at least BBMN won' thave to search far for a "Terrible Site of the Week". Go hard, retard!

That's racism man! I love to racism bro!

FusionFistCutter
The Great One

Posts 3411
Registered 4-10-2003
Location Columbus, Ohio

Mood:

posted on 8-25-2005 at 10:21 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Well we all know that every review he writes will undoubtadly have "EDITED BY EVIL WIZARD ON 8/26" about 4 times under each one.

For fucks sake dude, type something and stick with it, this whole thread is a train wreck thanks you to changing what you say every 2 seconds when someone responds to you.

!

LuckyLopez
Reeks of WCW

Posts 12562
Registered 2-13-2003

Mood: Grieving

posted on 8-25-2005 at 10:24 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Amen!

and...

quote:
Originally posted by borntorun
And when these reviews do go up, have the decency to write in paragraph form, please.

Amen!

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   LuckyLopez 's Aim
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top