The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll
Author: Subject: Raw Recap: Erin vs. Rick
bskelley15
Turd Generation Superstar

Posts 16
Registered 5-4-2005

Mood:

posted on 7-6-2005 at 05:52 AM Edit Post
Raw Recap: Erin vs. Rick

Who do you prefer? I prefer Erin. Not many things are sexier than a woman who knows alot about wrestling. I should mention that I'm the type who only finds women interesting in the bedroom, kitchen, or a strip club, so this is a big admission for me.

Rick, while quite knowledgeable & often funny, just gets too negative in his recaps. To wit, Erin's main complaint about last night's show was about the Diva Search, & even that wasn't too over-the-top. Rick could have written 1,000 words bitching about that shit. I also love how she dug the HBK heel turn after all the negative comments I read about it on the message boards here. Of course, I love HBK, so I was digging it all the way. I admit I may be biased.

I wonder if we could get Erin to take over full-time?

OOMatt
Crazy Go Nuts

Posts 1234
Registered 12-19-2002
Location St. Paul

Mood: Greatest Mood

posted on 7-6-2005 at 07:14 AM Edit Post
I prefer me.

(This is the wrong forum for this).

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   OOMatt 's Aim
Y2G
Showstopper

Posts 723
Registered 6-21-2004
Location Next to a PC, like, duh...

Mood: LOUD NOISES!!!

posted on 7-6-2005 at 02:56 PM Edit Post
quote:
Originally posted by bskelley15Rick, while quite knowledgeable & often funny, just gets too negative in his recaps. To wit, Erin's main complaint about last night's show was about the Diva Search, & even that wasn't too over-the-top. Rick could have written 1,000 words bitching about that shit.

I like both (See my sig). But this week I would have preferred Rick. This week DESERVED 3000 words of bitching. That was probably the crappiest Raw I've seen this year. Heel turns are Ok, While I would not have turned HBK, I can dig that too, but it was just WAY out of nowhere...

Anyway, Give me Rick OR Erin and I'm happy.

Oh yeah, Matt can also write

Plees exquse tha speling meestayks. I lernd in tha Zoolander School For Kids Who Can't Read Good.

anvilicious - That's a great one Erin

Eddie - Thanks for all the lying, cheating and stealing.

Xoid
Creepy Little Bastard

Posts 56
Registered 5-28-2002

Mood: No Mood.

posted on 7-6-2005 at 05:15 PM Edit Post
quote:
Originally posted by bskelley15
Who do you prefer?

Who can tell the difference any more? This is not an insult. It has been a gradual process, but Erin's last recap before this one clinched it. It is not just using the same nicknames or terminology. It is the fact that Erin's wrestling opinions and analysis seemed largely dead on, which is usually how I feel when I read Rick's opinions. Mostly, it is the fact that Erin has started using all kinds of The Rick's bad grammatical habits. Again, this is not an insult, just an observation.

I do not know if she does it subconsciously, or if she is trying to impress her boss. Maybe The Rick forces Erin to write like him to feed his ego. Whatever the reason, I like it, and I agree with Y2G: give me either, it does not matter, I am going to be happy. We would be lucky to have one of Rick or Erin, and we get both.

ModSquad004
Cop Dawg

Posts 2324
Registered 5-10-2003
Location on the ATV

Mood: no mood 4 poop

posted on 7-6-2005 at 05:41 PM Edit Post
or maybe Erin and The Rick are...

THE SAME PERSON!!!!!

Dun dun DUNNNNN!!!

The plot thickens....

WOOF!

OOMatt
Crazy Go Nuts

Posts 1234
Registered 12-19-2002
Location St. Paul

Mood: Greatest Mood

posted on 7-6-2005 at 05:44 PM Edit Post
quote:
Originally posted by ModSquad004
or maybe Erin and The Rick are...

THE SAME PERSON!!!!!

Dun dun DUNNNNN!!!

The plot thickens....

Hey, Mod Dog, can't you move this to Comments About OO? This is hardly "Current Events".

/Post Nazi
//Who watches the watchers?
///I still prefer my more accurate recaps.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   OOMatt 's Aim
2HoT
The Immortal One

Posts 4818
Registered 3-23-2002
Location Yermomsbox PA

Mood: Cock-sure

posted on 7-6-2005 at 07:16 PM Edit Post
Bskelly15 (if that IS your real name), you just made the list!

Who wants soup?

markout
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1300
Registered 1-4-2002
Location Elsewhere

Mood: Zen-tastic

posted on 7-6-2005 at 09:04 PM Edit Post
I prefer Folgers' Crystals.

Do NOT fuck with my chi.

Alana
Legend Thriller

Posts 1081
Registered 1-23-2003
Location Soviet Georgia

Mood:

posted on 7-6-2005 at 10:01 PM Edit Post
quote:

Who can tell the difference any more? This is not an insult. It has been a gradual process, but Erin's last recap before this one clinched it. It is not just using the same nicknames or terminology. It is the fact that Erin's wrestling opinions and analysis seemed largely dead on, which is usually how I feel when I read Rick's opinions. Mostly, it is the fact that Erin has started using all kinds of The Rick's bad grammatical habits. Again, this is not an insult, just an observation.

I do not know if she does it subconsciously, or if she is trying to impress her boss. Maybe The Rick forces Erin to write like him to feed his ego. Whatever the reason, I like it, and I agree with Y2G: give me either, it does not matter, I am going to be happy. We would be lucky to have one of Rick or Erin, and we get both.

Thanks, guys. Funny you should mention this; my writing style is pretty similar to Rick's (especially when I'm recapping), and I'm not doing it consciously. I think it's at the point where you can't tell anymore for a few reasons:

1. My opinions on wrestling are scarily similar to Rick's; that's what drew me to OO in the first place.

2. When you read someone's writing three times a week, you have a tendency to "absorb" that particular style. So yes, I've probably adopted a few "Rickisms" without even realizing it. I think he's cribbed a few from me. The same has happened with a few phrases from televisionwithoutpity.com, but most of you don't read that and thus wouldn't notice.

3. We do use the same nicknames and formatting style because it's what makes OO... well, OO.

4. My opening rant about my local radio station looks like something Rick would have written, or at least a topic he would have chosen for himself. This didn't occur to me until he e-mailed me about it. Speaking of which, if anyone is wondering about the list, here it is: www.99x.com/music/top1000

I mean, it's at the point where people do either think we're the same person, or that he and I are romantically involved. I find both possibilities hilarious. Oh, and Rick couldn't force me to write in any particular style even if I was getting paid to do this. Which I'm not. Ahem.

Bskelly15: I couldn't take over recapping full-time even if I wanted to. My schedule for school this fall includes a class at 8:00 a.m. on Tuesdays, which means I'll be turning out the lights and going to bed the instant RAW goes off the air Monday nights. Unless you don't mind waiting until Wednesdays for a recap, I don't think it'll happen.

Assaulted by The Man on two separate occasions!

Proud winner of the 2004 & 2005 BOOardie - Best Avatar. Beat that, bitches!

The Broad's Blog

OORick
Monkey on a Rock

Posts 4427
Registered 12-27-2001
Location - The Birthplace of Aviation

Mood: See You in Hell ;)

posted on 7-7-2005 at 02:04 AM Edit Post
A couple of things, responding to a couple of different people...

quote:

bskelly15 said:
Who do you prefer? I prefer Erin. Not many things are sexier than a woman who knows alot about wrestling. I should mention that I'm the type who only finds women interesting in the bedroom, kitchen, or a strip club, so this is a big admission for me.

And it's one you probably should have kept to yourself.

Points to you, though, Erin: way to not listen to me when I keeping telling you it's now alright to loosen up and start being more of yourself and not worrying about being "the chick who writes about wrestling" anymore, now that it's been two years. Apparently, you are still just a gimmick to some folk....

Or maybe I'm just salty that somebody doesn't like me as much as they like you. Speaking of which...

quote:

Matt Horking said:
I prefer me.

Yes Matt, you are awesome. I wouldn't publish your columns if you weren't, and thousands of people wouldn't read them if they weren't. But people are trying to have a conversation here...

quote:

Xoid said:
Mostly, it is the fact that Erin has started using all kinds of The Rick's bad grammatical habits.

C'mon, now: I'm not breaking grammar rules, I'm inventing all knew ones. I will not be governed by MLA! I will be governed by trying to use whatever grammar and punctuation tools I have at my disposal to type things that force you to almost "hear" my voice.... ellipses abuse, sentence fragments, parentheticals, all that shit. I'm just trying to slow your brain down so you can sort of hear, in your mind's ear, the conversational style I have in real life. Those aren't bad habits, they are a Very Special Bonus Feature!

And trust me, I'm steps ahead of you on noticing some of Erin's thievery (or homagery), but she's still WAY better at grammar than I am and always will be. At least till she finally finishes school after six and a half years and realizes there's really no point in remembering to italicize show titles and all that other crap. Term paper writing habits die hard.

quote:

Erin said:
2. When you read someone's writing three times a week, you have a tendency to "absorb" that particular style.

*Three* times per week? Really? That's a damned dirty lie and you know it.

Three columns per week and one recap. That's four. Four is more than three, so I guess that actually strengthens your case....

quote:

More from Erin:
I've probably adopted a few "Rickisms" without even realizing it. I think he's cribbed a few from me.

That's actually very fair to say, and we learned in the Boobies McTitsalot Fiasco that sometimes people give me credit for something I stole from Erin, which might be ricocheing back and creating this impression of enhanced "samespeak." I liked "Boobies" (even if I got it wrong for 2 months) just because I like dismissively pretending not to know the Useless Divas names. I like "Anvils" because it was nice having a one-word way to convey a concept that always took me 2 paragraphs to get across in the past.

I think that's probably about it. Oh. Except: That sentence fragment with a question mark thing? I totally got hooked on that little trick because of Erin.

But kiddo, you're on your own with "Tood Grisham"....

quote:

Erin's still talking:
I mean, it's at the point where people do either think we're the same person, or that he and I are romantically involved. I find both possibilities hilarious.

Ouch. My pride. Couldn't we spare just a modicum of consideration for my ego, and say that one of the possibilities is "hilarious," and the other is more in the category of A Geographic Implausibility? Let me save face in front of my adoring fans here, E...

I think it's safe to say that the "same person" people are idiots; there is ample televisionographic evidence to prove that. But now I begin to wonder what sort of Uber Idiot would see some of the "samespeak" and posit a romantic attachment as the only logical explanation. What kind of as asshole are these people saying I am? "Erin, honey, fetch me my slippers and my whiskey, and if you don't use Douchebaggery in a sentence before you get back, I'm so totally dumping you." Yeah: that sounds like how I roll. Are there really people out there who think that about me? Or am I missing the point of the insinuation entirely?

quote:

Back to bskelly15 for the Big Finish:
I wonder if we could get Erin to take over full-time?

It'd probably be more realistic (but still futile) to wonder if we could get Erin to appear often enough to be considered "part time"? There's the school thing she mentioned starting this fall, though... although I happen to know for a fact there's no classes on Fridays for The Broad, so if y'all wanted to harang her about SD! Recaps (Danny is considering stepping down) or more regular columns, you can feel free to use that as ammo.

Lord knows I've given up trying. There's only so much I'll press somebody who seems to have a full plate with work and school and having a life... but it does make me harken back to 1997-8 when I was finishing up school and was much in the same boat of working 30-something hours a week... and *I* still had time to not just write about wrestling, but to create an International Wrestling Website Phenomenon that still lives on today! And, if I may hazard a guess, I probably did it while drinking both more and more frequently than the Broad. No disrepect intended, but it's kinda one of the things UD is known for. And thus became something I got good at. It's all about priorities and time management, dammit!

I'm working myself into quite a lather here! Or at least, a Billy Gunn Inspired bit of shtick! What an Ungrateful Bitch! I, out of the kindness of my heart, so TOTALLY got Erin her job here at Online Onslaught dot com and her scores of thousands of worshippers. I *hand* her -- on a silver platter -- what I worked so hard to achieve. And then I was nice to her and never pooped in her purse. And I get repaid with columns or recaps once every six weeks! I clearly deserve better treatment than this for my acts of General Decency and my Not Paying Her A Dime! Erin Anderson is a Piece of Shit!

(dramatic pause for applause)

Thank you: twas Acting Genius.

I'll just close by saying that I also enjoyed Erin's recap, and don't think I could have done any better with the source material this week. To whoever said it might have been fun to have me ranting and raving: I assure you, I didn't think RAW was bad enough to deserve my "worst" (read, "my best"), and I'd have been limping through a lot of the show in rather uninspired fashion. You either give WWE too little credit (for a show that wasn't nearly bad enough to justify a total reaming), or me too much credit (for being able to whip out a well-sanded vagina on demand).

And I'm with the guys who said Rick and Erin are BOTH awesome. Because that way, everybody can be happy and everybody can win.

Oh, and somebody reply to this saying that Matt Hocking is also awesome, otherwise we'll not hear the end of it, OK?

Rick

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Canadian Bulldog
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1889
Registered 7-28-2003
Location Yes.

Mood: EVER!!!

posted on 7-7-2005 at 02:37 AM Edit Post
I spent TWO FREAKING YEARS convincing myself that Rick and Mr. America weren't the same person.... and now this?

Come to think of it: have we ever seen Rick and Erin in the same room together? Have we ever seen Erin and Mr. America in the same room together?

IT'S ALL STARTING TO MAKE SENSE!!!

The book... IS... HERE!!!
The Official Inside The Ropes website
BulldogZone : Official Inside The Ropes Merchandise
The Ridiculously Expensive Canadian BullBLOG

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   Canadian+Bulldog 's ICQ status This User Has MSN Messenger
GimmickMan
The Rowdy One

Posts 2476
Registered 8-14-2003
Location Republic of Woodhaven

Mood: FELLA!

posted on 7-7-2005 at 02:40 AM Edit Post
quote:
Originally posted by OORick
(Danny is considering stepping down)

Rick,

If that job does open and no one already on board wants it, I'd like to volunteer my services.

If/when it opens and you'd like a sample or anything, let me know.

[Edited on 7-7-2005 by GimmickMan]

Go Green! Go White! Go State!

mooseheadjack

Posts 10512
Registered 5-13-2002
Location over here

Mood: plotting evil

posted on 7-7-2005 at 03:12 AM Edit Post
I have to agree with the notion that we are really lucky to have two people writing recaps that have a good sense of humor and a grasp of wrestling.

And not to be condescending to Erin at all, but it IS cool to have a woman who has such a grasp of wrestling as she does. Too many women seem to be into wrestling because so-and-so looks HAWT rolling around the ring in his underwear.

So I don't really prefer one to the other, they offer two different perspectives, and just happen to borrow from each other on occasion.

My personal fuck-off list: 1. Tony Romo 2. Eli Manning 3. The New York Yankees 4. LeBron James 5. Kobe Bryant 6. SEC Fans 7. The SEC 8. the Political Right 9. religion 10. Almost everything the WWE does

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   mooseheadjack 's Aim This User Has MSN Messenger
2HoT
The Immortal One

Posts 4818
Registered 3-23-2002
Location Yermomsbox PA

Mood: Cock-sure

posted on 7-7-2005 at 03:27 PM Edit Post
quote:
Originally posted by mooseheadjack
Too many women seem to be into wrestling because so-and-so looks HAWT rolling around the ring in his underwear.

To be fair, that is the reason a lot of men are in to wrestling also. Isn't that right Ziggy.

Who wants soup?

blackdragon
The Great One

Posts 3578
Registered 11-9-2003
Location United States

Mood: Nostalgic

posted on 7-7-2005 at 05:05 PM Edit Post
Just curious, and I know this is out of the blue, but who handles updating the quootables? I wouldn't mind doing it as I usually print out every friggin' column and read and re-read (and in the case of the extremely hunky Hocking guy, re-re-read) them throughout the week. I could gets me some front page cred without actually straining my oh-so-fragile little mind with bothering to come up with original and throught provoking ideas and insights of my own. We all WIN!!!!

And I love Rick and Erin equally, but in different ways.

edited because I came across a little strong on the Erin love. (call me)

[Edited on 7-7-2005 by blackdragon]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
folby
The Great One

Posts 3399
Registered 9-11-2003
Location schmocation

Mood:

posted on 7-7-2005 at 05:11 PM Edit Post
I wasn't going to bring up the quotables until they did a Summerslam preview, and thus, the top one was a year old.

Things I have written recently
3/24: On Sandwiches: The Beef on Weck
3/16: The Rage Against The Machine School of Continuing Education
3/15: On Sandwiches Presents: The Best Possible Sandwich Chain

View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   folby 's Aim
PyroFalkon
Fella

Posts 453
Registered 11-17-2004
Location Xenia, Ohio

Mood:

posted on 7-8-2005 at 02:23 AM Edit Post
To add to what Erin said, when you read enough of a writer -- or when you live with someone long enough -- you start picking up nuances of their "voice." Hence why I got into the opening pre-rambles, the "Boobsie/Boobies" thing, the faux tilde bangs, the Random Capitalization... It's all just rubbing off on me.

But I had (past tense) evidence that at least on one occasion Rick may have expanded his vocabulary by one word. That is, I wrote a particular one-dollar word in one of my recaps, and then I saw Rick use it on the following Monday column. Damned if I remember what that word was, though.

Of course, THIS week's BT recap is not one anyone should emulate, for obvious reasons. This may be off-topic, but don't worry all: I should return to form next week.

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   PyroFalkon 's Aim This User Has MSN Messenger   PyroFalkon 's Yahoo
rk
Showstopper

Posts 622
Registered 3-11-2004
Location Canada

Mood: Barbiturates

posted on 7-8-2005 at 01:10 PM Edit Post
The idea that they are the same person, or romantically involved in an interesting way to explain their similarities and interactions, but I prefer to think that Rick is the "Al Snow" to Erin's "Head".

Samoa Joe does Taz!
"I'm actually very popular with all the computer people. They love me"
- Shawn Michaels

ModSquad
Hello, future girlfriend

Posts 3472
Registered 1-30-2003

Mood: Trumpy

posted on 7-8-2005 at 01:48 PM Edit Post
Please find a new joke to beat into the ground.

"The moment that The Rick tells me that I am in the wrong then I will stop. And since I have 10 years of reading his work under my belt I feel fairly confident that he won't since he is a proponent of thinking differently. Save the threats."

Operation Retard
Beats me, I'm gay!

Posts 3301
Registered 1-4-2002

Mood:

posted on 7-8-2005 at 05:00 PM Edit Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2HoT
To be fair, that is the reason a lot of men are in to wrestling also. Isn't that right Ziggy.

yes. that is correct.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   Operation+Retard 's Aim
Xoid
Creepy Little Bastard

Posts 56
Registered 5-28-2002

Mood: No Mood.

posted on 7-8-2005 at 05:35 PM Edit Post
quote:
Originally posted by PyroFalkon
To add to what Erin said, when you read enough of a writer -- or when you live with someone long enough -- you start picking up nuances of their "voice." Hence why I got into the opening pre-rambles, the "Boobsie/Boobies" thing, the faux tilde bangs, the Random Capitalization... It's all just rubbing off on me.

This makes sense to me. I did not really think to uncover a reason for Erin's evolving style, and what I said earlier was not meant to sound like an insult at all. It was just an observation that her style has changed slowly over time to incorporate a few bits of style I recognize as Rick's into her own, and it was a compliment to her because I like it.

Seeing PyroFalkon's confirmation of how a writer can rub off on other writers is helpful, though. PyroFalkon: I have actually noticed you using Rick's style a lot, too. I did not mention it because I could not tell if you were doing it on purpose or to mock Rick or what. Unlike Erin, you seemed to just jump in with both feet with immediately emulating almost all of Rick's style, so I couldn't tell if you were forcing it on purpose or not. Your explanation here clears that up.

It is probably a good thing for Rick, too. I thought it was funny to see Erin introduce "romantic involvement" as a possible reason for their similar styles, and then immediately shoot it down. Back when Lita started talking like Kane, didn't Rick always say it is true love when couples start talking alike? Rick would probably be happy to be wrong here, unless he likes the idea of PyroFalkon being twice as hot for him as Erin is.

Alana
Legend Thriller

Posts 1081
Registered 1-23-2003
Location Soviet Georgia

Mood:

posted on 7-8-2005 at 06:34 PM Edit Post
Believe me, Xoid, I am not the first person to bring up "romantic involvement" as a possibility. I only brought it up to shoot it down because I knew rk (at the very least) would show up and say something about it.

Y2G: I forgot to mention this earlier; your sig in flattering, but I did not invent the concept of "anvils." I borrowed that from Television Without Pity.

Assaulted by The Man on two separate occasions!

Proud winner of the 2004 & 2005 BOOardie - Best Avatar. Beat that, bitches!

The Broad's Blog

maclen
Showstopper

Posts 666
Registered 9-10-2003
Location 22 Acacia Ave

Mood: for a day

posted on 7-8-2005 at 06:53 PM Edit Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alana
Believe me, Xoid, I am not the first person to bring up "romantic involvement" as a possibility. I only brought it up to shoot it down because I knew rk (at the very least) would show up and say something about it.

So Rick moved on to rk? I knew she had it for Rick because she uses the first and last letters on "RicK" in her handle! Concrete's not available because she's Bulldog's gal.

Ok, so I'm beating it to the ground, but I couldn't resist!

Rising From Darkness where hell hath no mercy and the screams of vengeance echo on forever, only those who keep the faith shall escape the wrath of The Metallian...
Master of all Metal

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger
salmonjunkie
Best There Is Was or Ever Will Be

Posts 12821
Registered 6-25-2002
Location Sunny Seattle, WA

Mood: FICKLE!

posted on 7-8-2005 at 08:43 PM Edit Post
quote:
Originally posted by maclen
Concrete's not available because she's Bulldog's gal.

Oh, FusionFistCutter is going to have words with Bulldog, then. Bring out the fisticuffs!

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo
Operation Retard
Beats me, I'm gay!

Posts 3301
Registered 1-4-2002

Mood:

posted on 7-8-2005 at 08:45 PM Edit Post
dont you mean fusionfisticuffs?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   Operation+Retard 's Aim
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll

go to top