The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll
Author: Subject: The "Ruin the Ending...kinda" Thread
borntorun
God of This World

Posts -8685
Registered 7-22-2003
Location Breathe

Mood: House, Monk-E

posted on 11-9-2004 at 05:11 PM Edit Post
The "Ruin the Ending...kinda" Thread

Okay. Maybe all these movie list threads are getting out of hand, but you knows what? I likes 'em. They bring back some happy shiny memories, and I think most of us agree that a movie with a terrible ending often ruins the experience, while a fantastic finale just might elevate a movie into your home collection.

I don't want people popping in and saying, "Darth Vader is Luke's father" and leaving. I don't mean ruining movies like that, and the end doesn't have to be any kind of surprise or twist. Stop by and leave a memory; this is for us to share. And if you haven't seen some of these films, skim each post looking for the title of a movie. For example, I've never seen Memento, and if I notice somebody is talking about that movie, I'll skip the spoiler.

One of my favorite endings belongs to American Psycho. The escalating absurdity of Patrick Bateman's killing spree: trying to put a cat in the ATM, shooting an old lady, blowing up cop cars with his pistol--they all lead to a fascinating crescendo showing the reality of the situation. Was it all in his mind? It seems like it must have been, but it's so masterfully crafted that there's a twinge of doubt in the most unlikely of circumstances.

If you haven't seen this movie, it's certainly more than an ending. The whole thing is awesome.

[Edited on 11-9-2004 by borntorun]

Fake McCoy Comics

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   borntorun 's Aim
bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7897
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

Mood: Stratusfied

posted on 11-9-2004 at 05:36 PM Edit Post
I'm a big fan of endings to movies like "Lost in Translation" and "Forrest Gump". I like not knowing exactly what Bob tells Charlotte at the end of Lost, and I like not knowing exactly what caused Jenny to die in Gump...even though the way the movies are done it feels like you know the answers to those questions.

angstboy
cornerkicked.com

Posts 4930
Registered 12-11-2002
Location Baltimore, MD

Mood:

posted on 11-9-2004 at 05:39 PM Edit Post
DARTH VADER IS LUKE'S FATHER!!!?!?! You motherfucker!

salmonjunkie
Best There Is Was or Ever Will Be

Posts 12740
Registered 6-25-2002
Location Sunny Seattle, WA

Mood: FICKLE!

posted on 11-9-2004 at 05:46 PM Edit Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigfatgoalie
I like not knowing exactly what caused Jenny to die in Gump...even though the way the movies are done it feels like you know the answers to those questions.

It was AIDS.

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo
Omega
Call me McIan

Posts 1466
Registered 4-29-2004

Mood: MacIan

posted on 11-9-2004 at 05:59 PM Edit Post
Deleted

[Edited on 11-10-2004 by Omega]

Krydor
The Man

Posts 5425
Registered 10-28-2002
Location In

Mood: Going to Maiden

posted on 11-9-2004 at 07:35 PM Edit Post
Luke's father? Who's Luke? Who's Darth Vader? We're only on part II here, people.

The end of Being John Malkovich. What an amazing film, top to bottom. The end was just the greatest thing about it.

Then again, what do I know? I cheered the death of DiCaprio in Titanic.

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member   Krydor 's Aim   Krydor 's Yahoo
borntorun
God of This World

Posts -8685
Registered 7-22-2003
Location Breathe

posted on 11-9-2004 at 07:43 PM Edit Post
Brad, imagining your quote being said by your current avatar makes it all the more hilarious.

Fake McCoy Comics

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   borntorun 's Aim
blackdragon
The Great One

Posts 3578
Registered 11-9-2003
Location United States

Mood: Nostalgic

posted on 11-9-2004 at 08:18 PM Edit Post
quote:
Originally posted by borntorun
Brad, imagining your quote being said by your current avatar makes it all the more hilarious.

Damn you for making me laugh out loud.

I dare you to do that again

http://blogjob.com/geeksmarksandnerds/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
angstboy
cornerkicked.com

Posts 4930
Registered 12-11-2002
Location Baltimore, MD

Mood:

posted on 11-9-2004 at 08:34 PM Edit Post
What I want to know is, if Krydor doesn't know who Luke or Darth Vader are, how'd he know what movies we were talking about to assume we were on "part II?" Huh? HUH?

Anyway, the end of Bladerunner has always been one of the coolest endings to a movie I've seen. It's visually stunning all the way through, but the ending is just awesome. The whole speech that the Replicant, Roy Batty (Rutger Hauer), gives as he feels life spilling from his body about the incredible but short life he's led really underlines how much more "alive" he is than the humans who created him.

"I've seen things you PEOPLE wouldn't believe. I've seen attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I've seen C-beams glitter in the dark by the Tannhauser gates. All of these moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain. Time to die." Love it.

The theme of what it is to be alive is FURTHER underlined a few moments later when Gaff (Edward James Olmos) refers to another Replicant says "It's a shame she won't live... but then again, who does?" in reference to a Replicant that Dekkard (Harrison Ford) has fallen in love with. See, Replicants only live for a few years and then they die. Anyway, if you've never seen Bladerunner, treat yourself some night. It's good stuff. A little "heavy," but good.

Krydor
The Man

Posts 5425
Registered 10-28-2002
Location In

Mood: Going to Maiden

posted on 11-9-2004 at 09:00 PM Edit Post
Angstbrad,

I saw the trailer for Episode III, and I heard the name "Lord Vader" mentioned and saw a really menacing guy in a black suit. Who is Luke? Who is Darth Vader? The mystery deepens. Does Anikan fight Darth Vader at some point? I sure hope so!

Did this mystery character, "Darth Vader" use the evil force to age Obi Wan Kenobi 50 years? He looks really young in some parts, and in others, he looks old. Perhaps the old guy is Obi Wan's father? So many questions!

I hope Lucas does 6 films in this amazing series.

That should hold together nicely...

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member   Krydor 's Aim   Krydor 's Yahoo
angstboy
cornerkicked.com

Posts 4930
Registered 12-11-2002
Location Baltimore, MD

Mood:

posted on 11-9-2004 at 09:07 PM Edit Post
They'll probably get better as they go along unless Lucas adds spear-chucking koalas and a dance number. Naaah, he'd never. Oh and Greedo has to shoot first. I don't know what that means, but it HAS to happen or the double-trilogy will be ruined RUINED RUINED!!!

fsolomon75
American Dream

Posts 8481
Registered 1-25-2002
Location SoCal

Mood: WILLIE~!

posted on 11-10-2004 at 12:35 AM Edit Post
Favorite ending of all-time....Usual Suspects....when the audience and Chazz's character put the pieces together at the same time....AWESOME.

Teh wisdom of MooseheadJack: "tpyos are not going to ruin my day today" and "the only thing carved in stone for the Mets is the look on willie's face"

The 2007 Post Of The Year

cpdevine1
The Great One

Posts 3305
Registered 10-26-2002
Location nowhere fun

Mood: in utter disbel

posted on 11-10-2004 at 12:45 AM Edit Post
quote:
Originally posted by fsolomon75
Favorite ending of all-time....Usual Suspects....when the audience and Chazz's character put the pieces together at the same time....AWESOME.

you beat me to it. That one fucked me up. I totally didn't see it coming.

The other movie ending that I should have seen coming, but didn't, and have been kicking myself ever since, is Unbreakable. I should have known at "They call me Mr Glass".

[Edited on 11-10-2004 by cpdevine1]

Two Time! Two Time! MLB Survivor winner

myspace

masterofpigeons
And I am AWESOME

Posts 130
Registered 3-23-2002
Location Montreal

Mood: No Mood.

posted on 11-10-2004 at 12:51 AM Edit Post
The ending to Fight Club.

Marla and Jack hold hands while The Pixies' "Where is my Mind?" starts to play, and buildings all around them are crumbling. There is peace in chaos.

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member   masterofpigeons 's Aim This User Has MSN Messenger
Toffile
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1241
Registered 4-27-2004
Location Cow Country

Mood: Football

posted on 11-10-2004 at 04:46 AM Edit Post
devine: Yeah, I know. I always kicked my self at that ending.

Anyway, there's always Adaptation which is great and it turns fucking weird in the end. Though with a little thinking, you see why it does. (Movie gets weird about the time he asks his brother for help...The Three anyone?)

That screenplay should've won an Oscar.

Omega
Call me McIan

Posts 1466
Registered 4-29-2004

posted on 11-10-2004 at 02:43 PM Edit Post
Deleted

ModSquad003
Queen Bitch

Posts 442
Registered 5-8-2003
Location Lurking

Mood: Bantabulous

posted on 11-10-2004 at 03:55 PM Edit Post
I was just wondering, Omega, did you bother reading BTR's post at the beginning of this thread? Specifically, this part:

"I don't want people popping in and saying, "Darth Vader is Luke's father" and leaving. I don't mean ruining movies like that, and the end doesn't have to be any kind of surprise or twist. Stop by and leave a memory; this is for us to share."

What you've done, twice now, is "pop in" and just randomly blurt out the endings of two movies. BTR's intent was for us to share the reasoning behind the enjoyment we get from the endings of certain films. If you haven't seen the film(s) described in a particular post you can, of course, skip the posts in question (which I'm sure will be your argument). Unfortunately, your posts still don't do anything to enhance discussion about the films you mention, because all you do is spoil the films' endings.

I'd like to request that you either elaborate as to why you like the ending to the movie you are bringing up, or that you stop posting spoilers. Everyone else seems to be grasping the concept just fine. Thanks.

[Edited on 11-11-2004 by ModSquad003]

You fuck up the boards.
I fuck up your day.

Omega
Call me McIan

Posts 1466
Registered 4-29-2004

posted on 11-10-2004 at 04:28 PM Edit Post
yeah didnt read the first part clearly enough, deleted my threads, sorry.

borntorun
God of This World

Posts -8685
Registered 7-22-2003
Location Breathe

posted on 11-10-2004 at 04:28 PM Edit Post
My favorite part? I said, "For example, I've never seen Memento, and if I notice somebody is talking about that movie, I'll skip the spoiler." However, I didn't imagine anybody writing a barely coherent sentence just to write the ending of the movie, especially one that I professed not to have seen. Thankfully, I didn't understand Omega's sentence, but that's okay, because he deleted them and apologized. No prob, Omega!

And to you, 003: thanks. Your wisdom, and breasts, always leave me inspired.

[Edited on 11-10-2004 by borntorun]

Fake McCoy Comics

angstboy
cornerkicked.com

Posts 4930
Registered 12-11-2002
Location Baltimore, MD

Mood:

posted on 11-10-2004 at 06:11 PM Edit Post
My favorite ending of all time was from OO Forums. Specifically the part on the bridge over Parts Unknown when Abu Karim had the bomb in the satchel and threatened to blow the forums to bits. It was great when 003 flashed her boobs distracting him and then Omega ran over and grabbed the bomb, hurtling himself off the side of the bridge to save the forums. Then you come to find out that Abu Karim was really 2Hot in a mask and that the satchel was really full of BFG's Trish Stratus photo collection!!!

Then they pan down to the ravine below and Omega's body is gone! Sequel anyone???

Toffile
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1241
Registered 4-27-2004
Location Cow Country

Mood: Football

posted on 11-10-2004 at 08:18 PM Edit Post
Oh yeah, I can't forget Die Hard 2.

Always a good way on how to take out an airplane....

Omega
Call me McIan

Posts 1466
Registered 4-29-2004

posted on 11-10-2004 at 08:42 PM Edit Post
Of course you will never find the body, I am like Obi-wan, you strike me down I become more powerful than you can possible imagine! Although he never really showed what that meant, he could travel to other planets, Dagobah and Endor Moon without the use of a spaceship, and talk to Luke occasionally is that really all it is?

FusionFistCutter
The Great One

Posts 3411
Registered 4-10-2003
Location Columbus, Ohio

Mood:

posted on 11-10-2004 at 11:38 PM Edit Post
The final 110 minutes of Alien Vs Predator ruined that movie for me.

Actually, everything that came after me sitting my ass in the theater seat pretty much ruined whatever hope I had had for seeing a sweet ass movie.

Oh wait, the Team America preview was cool. But it was followed by a preview for that Queen Latifah/Jimmy Fallon debacle, so that's when the downward slide began.

TarheelMike
The Immortal One

Posts 4845
Registered 3-6-2003
Location DFW

Mood: Medium Rare

posted on 11-11-2004 at 03:15 PM Edit Post
Fave Ending: Rocky is a classic. Rocky fights, scratches, and claws to get back up in the 14th, gets Apollo on the ropes in the 15th but runs out of time, and thus, we go to the judges. And Adrian gets in the ring. "I love you!" "I love you, " as the announcement of Creed retaining the title is heard off in the background, as if in the big picture, it really didn't matter. Which it didn't. Rocky went the distance and got the girl.

Worst Ending: Jurassic Park III was going along really strong, way better than II, until the final three minutes of the film. I mean, come on, the freaking military rolling up on shore to take out the dinosaurs?? Give me a break! The pteradons flying out over the ocean was a nice touch, but the end had already been ruined.

“Pinson, with five. Looks up, drivin’ in. Maye, for the win... NORTH CAROLINA!! With point three seconds to go! An incredible shot!” - Jim Nantz, calling Carolina’s South Regional Final victory over Kentucky.

“FBIGORJAHSJDHFJGOGPDJSHCH!!!!!” - Mikey, calling Carolina’s South Regional Final victory over Kentucky

outback jack
The Great One

Posts 3811
Registered 3-10-2003
Location not Australia

Mood: old

posted on 11-11-2004 at 07:39 PM Edit Post
The ending of Lair of the White Worm (very weird movie) has a great twist. Won't give it away completely but it reminds me of a commercial featuring "Crocodile Hunter" Steve Irwin from a year or so ago.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll

go to top