The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
New Topic New Poll
Author: Subject: So long, farewell, Auf wiedersehn, good night
OO Kyle
The Rowdy One

Posts 2364
Registered 11-21-2002

Mood: McIan-tastic

posted on 9-21-2004 at 03:09 PM Edit Post
So long, farewell, Auf wiedersehn, good night

There comes a time when everyone has to move on- for me, that time came today when I realized that things have gotten to the point around here that the Mods are deleting my posts simply because they have my name on them.

Laters all- my interest in wrestling had pretty much vanished anyway.

Stand back! There's a HURRICANE coming through! Several, in fact!

Krydor
The Man

Posts 5425
Registered 10-28-2002
Location In

Mood: Going to Maiden

posted on 9-21-2004 at 03:13 PM Edit Post
Well, that's not good at all.

You sure it isn't a software problem? I'm far more offensive than you and I remain untouched.

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member   Krydor 's Aim   Krydor 's Yahoo
Omega
Call me McIan

Posts 1466
Registered 4-29-2004

Mood: MacIan

posted on 9-21-2004 at 04:26 PM Edit Post
Even though we might disagree on just about everything I am sad to see you go.

ModSquad
Hello, future girlfriend

Posts 3472
Registered 1-30-2003

Mood: Trumpy

posted on 9-21-2004 at 05:59 PM Edit Post
Kyle: you posted a link and a one-line comment. It was basically just a link. Krydor had already posted that same link in the preexisting thread already devoted to that issue. I wasn't censoring you. I just asssumed that you wouldn't want a "duplicate thread" out there.

It had nothing to do with you, your comment, your love of Bradshaw or the price of tea in China. It was just a duplicate thread. I thought I'd wake up and find you'd edited out your own comment and written, "Oops, didn't see the other link. MODS PLEASE DELETE."

If I'd left it alone, there's a good chance you would have asked me to delete it. But since I deleted it, I'm a power crazy maniac trying to censor you, and it's so bad that you have to quit forever. Fer crissakes.

EDIT:
In the last week, the mods have written around 3 pages of responses to people about why a thread was deleted. That's stopping. It seems like there has been a roundtable discussion about every single mod action in the last week. The mods WILL explain stuff to you 95% of the time. But the other 5% of the time, stuff will get deleted because it's dumb or breaks a board rule, and you could probably figure it out if you read the board rules. Spending a bunch of time and effort exchanging U2Us or posts explaining why something bad was deleted is a big waste of our time and your time. Most of the time, the explanation isn't interesting, and you're really not going to care.

But for some reason deleted posts become a lot more important and interesting than posts people can still read. Kyle (and others) are all concerned about his missing thread,despite the fact that this post alone is already TEN times longer than that thread. (And all the information in that thread was already elsewhere on the board.) Because a thread was deleted, it becomes a big crisis, and makes what's missing seem like it was a lot more important than it actually was.

Dumb threads get deleted all the time. You don't hear about it because they get deleted. You never read the stupid thread. The system managed to work just fine for the last 20 months or so, but something broke in the last week. I think the reason is that suddenly we've started having discussions about deleted threads. (It used to be that only people like TTP pulled this routine. "Why was my 17th top ten list deleted? Explain yourself!")

Any new threads about "why was my old thread/post deleted?" are going to be deleted. Don't start one. If you lost your post or thread, that's a one-on-one issue you have with a moderator. Not a big chance to shine in public as a victim. Chances are, you're not. If all you need is an explanation, a U2U will do just fine.

None of this "edit" here really has to do with Kyle's thread. It was stuff I was thinking about already and wanted to get out there. Especially since I spent 10% of my time on the board this last week moderating it, and 90% of my time explaining how I moderated it.

[Edited on 9-21-2004 by ModSquad]

"The moment that The Rick tells me that I am in the wrong then I will stop. And since I have 10 years of reading his work under my belt I feel fairly confident that he won't since he is a proponent of thinking differently. Save the threats."

BoerboelLVR
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1646
Registered 2-14-2003
Location Over the line!

Mood: HELP ME!!!

posted on 9-21-2004 at 06:00 PM Edit Post
Well this is a bummer.

You can still stick around here and post even if you have no interest in wrestling though. Hell, I've been doing it for months.

I can only hope that, like some of us here, your self imposed exile is only temporary.

See you around Kyle. Good Luck

Don't touch me there!

Blown Spot
The Rowdy One

Posts 2399
Registered 1-22-2003
Location Silver Spring, MD

Mood: Mauve

posted on 9-21-2004 at 06:24 PM Edit Post
Hey! Where the hell do you think you're going! I don't like half the shit you type, but I got to admit that the boards wouldn't be the same without you.

Get back here you oversensitive prick!

Hmmm.... perhaps that's not the most pursuasive phrasing.

"I like to drink wine more than I used to... anyway I'm drinking more."

"John Cena is poopy." - CM Punk to 6 year old kid on Jimmy Kimmel Live.

"What I said was deliberately untrue. However, that does not make it a lie. It's what we call in sophisticated debate terms a "implyo-obliqué-prevariclative," which is a statement that deliberately runs counter to the truth and is not factually supported — which is totally different from a lie..."

borntorun
God of This World

Posts -8684
Registered 7-22-2003
Location Breathe

Mood: House, Monk-E

posted on 9-21-2004 at 06:29 PM Edit Post
Well, it seems that this is something that you have pent up for a while, Kyle. I don't know what kind of weight you were carrying to let this tiny straw break your back, but hopefully you can work through it.

Blown Spot is right: this place wouldn't be the same without you. Who cares about wrestling anyway? Current events, movies, and Parts Unknown are where it's at!

Anyway, come back and I'll ask you to Homecoming. I'll pay for dinner, but you still have to buy me a corsage. Don't go, Shane! Shane, don't go!

Fake McCoy Comics

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   borntorun 's Aim
ModSquad
Hello, future girlfriend

Posts 3472
Registered 1-30-2003

posted on 9-21-2004 at 06:39 PM Edit Post
This is why I delete "I'M LEAVING THIS BOARD FOREVER" threads. Because if the person leaves under a misconception, it may be hard for them to come back, because of their comments.

Also I delete them because most of the time they're written by morons who are leaving the board about two steps ahead of 004 running after them with the banning stick.

I'm moving this to Parts Unknown, since it doesn't belong in CE, but I'll leave it open so that Kyle can see a further outpouring of loooooooove for him and break down and return the board with rosy cheeks, saying "Aw shucks, gang."

"The moment that The Rick tells me that I am in the wrong then I will stop. And since I have 10 years of reading his work under my belt I feel fairly confident that he won't since he is a proponent of thinking differently. Save the threats."

angstboy
cornerkicked.com

Posts 4930
Registered 12-11-2002
Location Baltimore, MD

Mood:

posted on 9-21-2004 at 06:47 PM Edit Post
Kyle,

I fucking hate you. The movies forum now belongs to me. I win.

Love,
Brad

BoerboelLVR
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1646
Registered 2-14-2003
Location Over the line!

Mood: HELP ME!!!

posted on 9-21-2004 at 07:16 PM Edit Post

BoerboelLVR has attached this image:
Image could not be shown

Don't touch me there!

ConcreteTG
The Great One

Posts 3613
Registered 10-6-2002
Location sitting on a guardrail

Mood: Heroic

posted on 9-21-2004 at 07:44 PM Edit Post
Dude,

The Austin trick doesn't always work.

Happy trails.

The door's probably open, not my call.

Hope Anger management works for ya.

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   ConcreteTG 's Aim
2HoT
The Immortal One

Posts 4818
Registered 3-23-2002
Location Yermomsbox PA

Mood: Cock-sure

posted on 9-21-2004 at 08:33 PM Edit Post
quote:
Originally posted by OO Kyle
There comes a time when everyone has to move on- for me, that time came today...

Not to be a prick or anything but is anyone else having deja vu?

Who wants soup?

outback jack
The Great One

Posts 3811
Registered 3-10-2003
Location not Australia

Mood: old

posted on 9-21-2004 at 08:53 PM Edit Post
Not good. Most of the posters in CE are predictable - some in a good way, others not so good. Kyle's often unpredictable and almost always interesting so I'm hoping this isn't going to stick.

Ultra Magnus
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1491
Registered 1-4-2002
Location Red Sox Nation

Mood: Resigned

posted on 9-21-2004 at 09:24 PM Edit Post
If only I used to watch 90210...

I know they had a "Let Donna Graduate" or "Let Brenda Graduate" rally of some sort one time, and, if it was effective, I'm sure that somehow that would be the right way to handle this situation.

I raise six glasses every night, just to get drunk enough to love this country like I did as a kid: without feeling like it's using me.

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   Ultra+Magnus 's Aim
salmonjunkie
Best There Is Was or Ever Will Be

Posts 12841
Registered 6-25-2002
Location Sunny Seattle, WA

Mood: FICKLE!

posted on 9-21-2004 at 10:06 PM Edit Post
Shit. I guess that means I'm out of a match for BacklOOsh.

*nails BFG with a chairshot to the skull and drops a ladder on his carcass*

I'm going home and watching the show on my couch.

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo
FusionFistCutter
The Great One

Posts 3411
Registered 4-10-2003
Location Columbus, Ohio

Mood:

posted on 9-21-2004 at 10:28 PM Edit Post
Why is it that only ModSquad is a prick about these things and none of the other Mods?

Hey, if you're just gonna assume people are going to want their threads deleted because the topic was brought up in another thread, why don't YOU just U2U him and say, "Hey, didn't know if you realized this was posted already, I'm gonna delete it." and go from there. It's always "U2U us (meaning YOU) and see if it passes my seal of quality".

This is the CE Forum we're talking about, where there hasn't been ONE SINGLE focused discussion about the topic in the thread title in 18 months. It's ALWAYS a clusterfuck that gets way off topic, and I think that's why the people that post there like it that way. Maybe Kyle wanted to emphasize a point that had been lost in the shuffle, which most points are. Everyone else seems to understand this except ModSquad, who's always quick to jump in with his finger in the air screaming "This is not the way things are done!!!"

Later Kyle, take care man.

Shaggy
The Great One

Posts 3225
Registered 12-21-2002

Mood:

posted on 9-21-2004 at 10:34 PM Edit Post
DONNA MARTIN GRADUATES!!!

LuckyLopez
Reeks of WCW

Posts 12562
Registered 2-13-2003

Mood: Grieving

posted on 9-21-2004 at 10:58 PM Edit Post
Hey, hey, hey! If you leave than that makes me the closest thing to a conservative arguing with Army. That's not going to work at all. Way to deal a blow to the "middle" of the CE forum, buddy.

Ah well... you do what you must, even if I may not like it, think you might be overreacting a tad and realize that the only way this works out as I would wish would be for ModSquad's cynical take on "goodbye" posts to be pretty much proven correct (and for me to take part in that right now). Vaya con Dios, mi amigo.

Cabin Fever was the greatest horror film ever. Followed closely by House of 1000 Corpses, Underworld, Wrong Turn, and Resident Evil. I've been holding onto that confession for so long...

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   LuckyLopez 's Aim
ModSquad
Hello, future girlfriend

Posts 3472
Registered 1-30-2003

posted on 9-21-2004 at 11:12 PM Edit Post
quote:
Why is it that only ModSquad is a giant prick about these things and none of the other Mods?

YOU, of all people, have a problem with someone being a prick? I'll take that one with a grain of salt.

Why? Because I'm the one who does the most work, and I guess I'm "that guy." 004's the chummy guy. 002 and 003 are the quiet ones. The other mods don't put me out there as the face-man to absorb the hatred, but that's sort of what winds up happening. No big deal.

quote:
Hey, if you're just gonna assume people are going to want their threads deleted because the topic was brought up in another thread, why don't YOU just U2U him and say, "Hey, didn't know if you realized this was posted already, I'm gonna delete it." and go from there.

You're right. I should have done that. I deleted Kyle's post on my way out the door, so I didn't stop to think about that.

What I DID think about was the fact that I U2U Kyle frequently about bullshit just for laughs, and he's one of the few board members I talk to a lot. He's U2Ud me a lot to apologize for "losing it" or to run a possibly offensive post by me. I've done little board "favors" for him plenty of times, like giving Optard a joke avatar. I'd say Kyle's someone I'm friendly with. So I was thinking was that Kyle wouldn't blow his stack about anything, because he knows that I wouldn't doing anything unfair to him, and he could always come to me. I shouldn't HAVE to be a friend to a board member to delete something. But I thought I was in this case. YOU didn't know that, but it was something *I* took into consideration.

quote:
It's always "U2U us (meaning YOU) and see if it passes my seal of quality".

Nope. Board Seal of Quality. If it was MY seal of quality, it would be stricter, but that's not the way OO works. As for the U2Us... DON'T U2U me if you can. Assume I deleted your post because I'm insane. Or another mod did it. Or a coding error happened and the board fucked up. Make up any explanation you like and use that as an excuse to NOT U2U me. I'm perfectly happy NOT worrying about it. But if you need to know why something happened, and if I haven't U2Ud you, I will try to explain it to you as clearly and reasonably as possible. Most of the time, we'll do that.

quote:
This is the CE Forum we're talking about, where...
Maybe Kyle wanted to emphasize a point that had been lost in the shuffle...
Everyone else seems to understand this except ModSquad, who's always quick to jump in with his finger in the air screaming "This is not the way things are done!!!"

It's interesting that you're not afraid to tell me what I did wrong when you don't actually KNOW what you're talking about. Do you know what Kyle's thread was? Nope. Any idea what it was about? Nope. Do you know anything about my previous relationship with Kyle? Nope.

Kyle posted a link to the Dan Rather/CBS retraction about those documents about Bush's National Guard Service. Krydor had already posted the same link 12 hours before. In a thread Kyle had posted in 11 times. So was Kyle emphasizing a point that had gotten lost in the shuffle? Yes, if "Krydor and Magnus are currently talking about it" means "Lost in the shuffle." Or maybe Kyle thought the topic was important enough to talk about 11 times, but not important enough to read later.

If a post duplicates another post, I don't think I can't delete it because the guy who wrote it didn't read other posts. That's his problem. Not my problem. People copy and paste the same news from The Torch in two or three different new threads because they don't read other threads that have the same news. So should I NOT be allowed to delete those too? Sometimes you can merge the threads together, and it makes sense; sometimes you can't. But if it's just a link or copy-and-paste, there's no need to close the thread and keep it. It can just go away.

New Topic New Poll

go to top