Board logo

Around the Horn: OO Style Rules and Procedure. LOOK!
borntorun - 3-29-2004 at 09:04 PM

So here you go, SECRET SEARCHERS. You are almost there. Solve this clue, you get the key to the secret.

Here's the clue and it will take you someplace:

It's what keeps OO in business, just like PBS. Find it!

The OO Forums are home to a plethora of individuals who a) know wrestling, and b) can write about it. On these boards, unfortunately, those two traits rarely commingle; the in-depth knowledge and argumentative skills are thrown away on the purely fantastical, while the hard-hitting, take-a-side issues are often addressed in a few opinionated sentences. So, here’s your chance to address some of the most pressing issues in wrestling, using your essay-writing abilities in an organized, competitive forum. If you’ve seen ESPN’s Around the Horn, you may know where this is going, but hang on and read the entire post.

Process:

Round 1: Qualifying. After Tonight’s RAW, I’ll ask an open-ended question regarding the evening’s show along the lines of, “Did Shelton Benjamin’s promo effectively make him an IC contender? Why or why not?” You, and I encourage everyone to participate, can then answer in short-answer form, preferably two or three paragraphs long. The deadline for answering the question is Tuesday, March 30th, at 7pm EST.

After the deadline, I will select the eight (8) most convincing, well-written, and overall best responses. These eight will move into the second round, and this is where things get REALLY interesting.

Round 2: Around the Horn
1) Tuesday evening, the 8 lucky individuals will gain access to a private forum, visible only to them, the Mods, Jeb (you’ll see why later) and myself. You’ll see a welcome and your first essay question, which means you need to get right to work. All 8 people need to reply to the query with a short essay, and you are free to argue, give one-liners, upshots, and basically blast each other in an effort to make your argument the best. You think someone has a bad stance? Let them know, as it could help your cause. Remember, though, that if you don't build up your case, you haven't earned anything!

2) The thread will close at 7pm EST on Wednesday. I will then read the entire thread and choose the 6 people who made the strongest case, meaning two people will be eliminated. The survivors will be asked another question, and the above process will repeat.

3) That thread will close at 7pm on Thursday, and 2 more people will be cut. The final 4 will be asked another question. Repeat the response/arguing process.

4) Friday at 7, two more will be gone, leaving only a pair of survivors. They will be asked a final question, and will have most of the weekend to write their essays, make their cases, and go back and forth with each other.

5) The game will end Sunday at 7pm. I’ll take everything into consideration and declare a winner, who will be given free reign to rant, write a speech, trash talk, or say whatever is on his mind in a “Last Word” post.

THE PRIZES: While virtue (read: bragging rights) should be its own reward, there are a couple of fabulous gifts waiting for the winner and possibly all entrants.

The winner will receive an automatic entry into the next Around the Horn contest; there will be no need to enter the qualifying round to defend his/her crown. Even sweeter, s/he will be awarded a fabulous custom status as proof of his/her excellence. And if that weren’t enough….

Jeb has volunteered to cull the best of the contest and compile it into a special Monday afternoon edition of Crashing the Boards, so here’s your chance to show the world that YOU are the best the OO Forums have to offer! Main page props—what could be better?

Monday evening, the entire competition will be bundled and sent to the CtB section in the forums for your complete viewing. If this is successful, we’ll also start it again on Monday night. So, if you don’t make it the first time, you’ll have a chance to blow us away with a second effort!

My hope is that this is a fun contest to get all of us to think a bit more critically and write more extensively on one of our favorite pastimes. There are a lot of great minds in here, so feel free to participate. Feel free to u2u me with any questions. Get ready for Around the Horn, coming tonight after RAW!

Addendum:

Obviously this is an experiment, and we can change the format as we go along. The reason why I'm picking the 8 people who make it is because there's no way to do it by poll. You can only vote once in a poll, and that means you have to vote to ELIMINATE. If 26 people replied to the first topic, we'd need 18 days to eliminate people one by one. The reason the contest is in a private forum is because that is the only way to restrict posting access to those in the competition.

Also, this schedule may be easy or hard. I don't know yet. I may not be able to think of the best questions each and every day, and you guys may not like having to write essays for six straight days. So if it's hard, we may only start with six people next week, and have one less day of elimination.

Also, if I find I have trouble coming up with questions and topics over and over, perhaps we can have the winner be the co-writer of questions for the next week. Who knows? We'll see!

Whatever the case, don't cop out and say, "This is dumb." This is a good chance for everyone to strut their stuff, and I would love to see improvements along the way.

Click Here For the Qualifying Round Question!
http://www.onlineonslaught.com/OOForums/viewthread.php?tid=8197

[Edited on 3-30-2004 by borntorun]

[Edited on 8-20-2006 by borntorun]

2HoT - 3-29-2004 at 09:25 PM

Sounds like great fun.

To quote the Joker: "Wait'll they get a load of me..."

ModSquad - 3-29-2004 at 11:14 PM

Just to explain:

The reason why we have to go to a sort of hidden forum is kind of weird, but lemme explain.

You can't make a list of people who can post in a forum (and keep other people from posting) without making the people on that list moderators, or admins. It's just how the board works. There's another option, which is to make a forum with a list of people who can SEE it. It hides the forum, but it also makes it private without making the people in it moderators or admins.

The reason why people are getting "excluded" from the discussion is just to keep the spirit of the ATH show alive. Those guys don't get interrupted by people not on the show or get help from someone jumping in with another argument. By keeping the ATH forum private, it'll hopefully make it more intense and competetive.

On Tuesday night, I'll set up a hidden ATH sub-forum here in CtB. Those who are on the list just need to open the CtB forum, and they'll see the link to the ATH forum at the top of the CtB page.

Last but not least... if Jeb doesn't do a CtB with the hOOrn stuff, or AFTER the CtB runs on Monday, I will move all the Around the hOOrn discussion into the CtB forum. That way, everybody will be able to see the whole unedited discussions as they took place. Hopefully that means no one misses out in the long run!

TarheelMike - 3-29-2004 at 11:43 PM

Sounds cool as shit, even though my schedule will not allow me to participate.

Ya'll entertain me!

FusionFistCutter - 3-30-2004 at 12:19 AM

Sounds time-consuming, I'm totally in!

2HoT - 3-30-2004 at 01:22 AM

how do you get on the list?

borntorun - 3-30-2004 at 01:25 AM

quote:

Round 1: Qualifying. After Tonight’s RAW, I’ll ask an open-ended question regarding the evening’s show along the lines of, “Did Shelton Benjamin’s promo effectively make him an IC contender? Why or why not?” You, and I encourage everyone to participate, can then answer in short-answer form, preferably two or three paragraphs long. The deadline for answering the question is Tuesday, March 30th, at 7pm EST.

After the deadline, I will select the eight (8) most convincing, well-written, and overall best responses. These eight will move into the second round, and this is where things get REALLY interesting.

Basically, I'll give you all a question. Whoever wants to play (and I hope there is a good response) answers it to the best of their ability in 2 or 3 paragraphs. The 8 best, most convincing arguments make it to the secret forum.

So, it's not like a "list" to get into a frat party. This is based on merit, which is so much cooler!

LuckyLopez - 3-30-2004 at 01:51 AM

Aww... I would have invited both of you to my frat party. I might have served you out of some of the unwashed cups, but that's a crap shoot.

And I'm in... provided a night of drinking mixxed with a 5 AM baseball opener don't leave me incapacitated tomorrow.

whyme - 3-30-2004 at 02:10 AM

awesome so i get to bring out the great woody paige

YOU GUYS DONT KNOW WHAT YOUR TALKING ABOUT!

I'VE GOT TO STRAIGHTEN YOU GUYS OUT!!

LISTEN HOLLYWOOD!!

LISTEN JAYBRONI!!

haha. WOODY PAIGE RULES!!

borntorun - 3-30-2004 at 02:35 AM

My goatee could beat up Max's goatee anyday.

As far as your question goes Jeb, I was also debating whether or not the "no retorts until everybody gets their say" rule was going to work. First of all, that's not even a rule in the qualifying round. Obviously, the 20th person who posts will be able to read everybody else's responses first, take the stuff they like, and make an great argument. The job of judge is going to be difficult in that respect: do I give props to someone who brought up the idea 12 hours before someone else, even though the last person to say it said it best? That discounts any banter that goes on between people during the deadline, which I'm looking forward too, because that's the point, but it doesn't make judging any easier. I can promise that I'll try to evaluate all the intangibles in a fair manner.

And, as far as the actual "Around the hOOrn" competition goes, I think I'll have to waive the "no arguing until everyone posts rule." Mostly for the reasons Jeb mentioned: it gets the discussion moving, allows people to bring in new points, strengthen their own arguments while tearing down others, etc. I'm also imagining that I should get rid of it because, honestly, some people might not give their response until just before the deadline, if it all.

So, new rule: Say whatever you want (in both the qualifying and "secret forum" rounds), but remember that you need to build your own position as your first priority; simply making someone else the fool won't win it for you. I don't foresee them, but silly flames would probably also give you negative points. So, go nuts, but be smart about it.

See? I told you the rules were up for changes.

Canadian Bulldog - 3-30-2004 at 04:15 PM

Sounds like a really cool idea. Looking forward to seeing what comes from it.

AnglesGoldMedals - 3-30-2004 at 06:53 PM

I like the sound of it, BUT what about the poor souls who won't get to see Raw until after the Tuesday deadline (erm, like me).

Doesn't that automatically present a barrier to us entering the competition? And therefore automatically preventing us from ever getting a CtB spotlight...?

Just asking..... Everything else sounds like a cool idea.

EDITED: Because there is no 'y' in ever.

[Edited on 3-30-2004 by AnglesGoldMedals]

borntorun - 3-30-2004 at 07:02 PM

Maybe every once in a while, we'll have a "non-current" events theme, and debate things such as greatest matches and wrestlers, or focus on questions such as "Who should be X Champion?" that don't rely so much on what happens now. I know you have a delay, as do people in Australia and such and I'd hate to exclude. But, current events is usually where the hot topics lie, so we'll probably stick with those.

But AGM (and everyone else with this concern), I'll do what I can to get you in every once in a while. Thanks for bringing this up.

crossface99 - 4-7-2004 at 06:34 PM

Sounds like a great idea. Maybe I'll have a chance to participate at some point down the line, but other writing commitments (school among them) stand in the way right now.

Good luck to all. I look forward to reading the results.

madiq - 4-8-2004 at 12:19 AM

Where's my Main page love? What about me? What about madiq?

markout - 4-8-2004 at 07:45 PM

Madiq and I going back and forth? Sounds like non-stop excitement to me.