The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll
Author: Subject: The newest marijuana commercial
Michrome
And I am AWESOME

Posts 142
Registered 1-5-2003

Mood: No Mood.

posted on 4-15-2003 at 11:11 PM Edit Post
The newest marijuana commercial

I saw another unbelievably stupid ad today, wanted to know what you guys think of the whole thing. They show a car crash, and then some voice says "1 in 3 people arrested for reckless driving tested positive for prior marijuana use...guess it's more dangerous than we thought." (That was a paraphrase, not exact)

I was wondering how this proves anything. I mean, couldn't one logically conclude that the type of people that drive recklessly for fun probably do drugs too? I'd love to see them do an ad that actually proves that marijuana caused the accident. It's also likely that more than 1 in 3 of the people arrested for reckless driving drink regularly, eat fast food regularly, and smoke cigarettes regularly. (truth.com is probably putting together this ad right now)

Frankly, the lack of evidence of the "danger" of marijuana is exposed in every ad, they would be better off not doing the ads at all. This caught my attention because recently there have been waves of anti-smoking laws, and I'm sure that someday a politician will propose a ban. Even though I'm not a smoker, the whole idea of regulating personal activities bothers the shit out of me. While everyone is talking about "civil liberties being eroded", why doesn't anybody mention all of these regulations?

salmonjunkie
Best There Is Was or Ever Will Be

Posts 12822
Registered 6-25-2002
Location Sunny Seattle, WA

Mood: FICKLE!

posted on 4-15-2003 at 11:42 PM Edit Post
Every single time I see an anti-marijuana ad, I love to nitpick at the propoganda they spew. The one where the kid has the gun and accidently shoots his friend. Ok, it wasn't marijuana that got the kid killed, it was his dumb father who left his loaded gun in an unlocked drawer in his desk. Or the one where the girl is being hit on by the guy at the party when she's telling him to stop. Notice how the boy's not smoking the pipe. So now marijuana's a rape drug. Oh please.

And don't get me started on those "Drugs fund terrorism" commercials with the two guys at the bar. "Because it's true." That's why. No explainations as to why it's true, just "because it's true." Don't fucking insult my intelligence like that, please.

Now, I know there are some harms of smoking marijuana, and doing any other drugs, but these ad campaigns are going to do the same thing it did in the late 80s and early 90s. A bunch of kids growing up thinking this shit is evil will try it, realize, "hey it ain't that bad" and will distrust the government for telling us so. Then they'll try something else. THAT's why marijuana's a gateway drug. And now, they're threatening to take away the ability to get school loans if you're caught with marijuana. Doesn't matter if you've never had a speeding ticket, doesn't matter if your grades are top notch. You can get into a fight every week in school and get your school loans, but you can't if you're caught with a roach. That's just stupid.

I'm going to add this: I don't even think it needs to be completely legalized (wouldn't that be nice?), but it's obvious that the voters in all west coast states including Hawaii and a few others in the east have decided that we want it to be legalized for medicinal purposes. And the federal government decides "fuck what they voted on" and pretty much shuts down propositions that we voted for. Democracy at it's finest.

The drug war is over! You LOST! GET OVER IT! We don't believe you anymore! Goddamn manipulative fuckjobs!

Dammit, I need a joint.

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo
Operation Retard
Beats me, I'm gay!

Posts 3301
Registered 1-4-2002

Mood:

posted on 4-16-2003 at 12:47 AM Edit Post
have you guys seen the south park episdoe that was about this? the one with the stan from the future. it was that episode that proved to me that south park is the smarted show on television

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   Operation+Retard 's Aim
Eli
The Immortal One

Posts 4503
Registered 1-4-2002

Mood: Careworn

posted on 4-16-2003 at 12:48 AM Edit Post
But just so you know, smoking cigarettes is not a "personal" activaty...

The universe seems neither benign nor hostile, merely indifferent.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   Eli 's Aim   Eli 's Yahoo
salmonjunkie

Posts 12822
Registered 6-25-2002

posted on 4-16-2003 at 01:07 AM Edit Post
I am a smoker, and I have no problem with California's (and now New York's) no smoking indoors laws. Even as a smoker, I hate smelling smoke when I should be smelling my food, or a woman's perfume, or my drink. Besides, I'd hate to think I'm harming that fine-ass waitress with my second hand...

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo
bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7923
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere
Member Is Online

Mood: Stratusfied

posted on 4-16-2003 at 01:27 AM Edit Post
you know I think the thing with pot is that it is obviosuly bad for you...anything that alter you that much isn't good for you...

but it's like booze...some people can deal with it, and some can't...sadly, most people who choose to do pot become pot-heads....

I think the probelm is that people who would do pot think it's funny so showing how people are when they are stoned will only make people want to do it more...hence, people lie in the hope people will act good...

like how parents use Santa to make kids act good...

2HoT
The Immortal One

Posts 4818
Registered 3-23-2002
Location Yermomsbox PA

Mood: Cock-sure

posted on 4-16-2003 at 02:53 AM Edit Post
First off I think alcohol is far more damaging to the body and to society in general than pot ever could be.

That said, the commercial that cracks me up is the one with the parents, the pregnancy test and the scared teenager.

According to this commercial, smoking pot can get you pregnant!! What a load of shit. Everyone knows the only thing that can get you pregnant is lemon Gin.

Who wants soup?

salmonjunkie

Posts 12822
Registered 6-25-2002

posted on 4-16-2003 at 03:00 AM Edit Post
quote:

most people who choose to do pot become pot-heads....

WRONG.

Bonestein
The Rowdy One

Posts 2712
Registered 7-24-2002

Mood: partypartyparty

posted on 4-16-2003 at 03:02 AM Edit Post
I would LOVE to see the stats to back up bfg's claim that most people who try pot become potheads.

"Well, uhhhh, I knew this guy at computer school who tried pot, and he barely ever showered..."

And lemon gin is classic. Did you all know that August 2nd is Lemon Gin Day? Drink it with a friend! Just don't drink it straight, because that shit makes you go blind- even says so on the bottle.

That's racism man! I love to racism bro!

chretienbabacool
The Great One

Posts 3444
Registered 3-5-2003
Location Columbia, MO

Mood: Go Cubs!

posted on 4-16-2003 at 03:05 AM Edit Post
I have two issues with marijuana.

First issue: Pot smokers need to stop ruining their cause by putting the most obviously stoner type, "No really, I want pot legalized for medical reasons, oh look, a bag of chips" people in the front of the legalization issue. Cut the hair and step away from the ho ho.

Second issue: I agree with Michrome, using stats on driving and pot influence is misleading. First, there's this obvious double standard wherupon smoking and driving means pot should be illegal while drunken driving means we should teach personal responsability.

Second, because pot is illegal, people who choose to smoke it are already breaking the law, thus why should they concern themselves with breaking more laws and driving? They're already not listening to any message we're giving that pot is bad for you, and aren't going to listen to a message that pot and driving is bad for you.

In my opinion, pot should be legalized and treated the exact same as alcohol. No one under 21 can smoke, no smoking and driving, no smoking outside, etc. With both smoking and drinking, I think anyone caught driving under the influence should be convicted of idiocy and shipped to Siberia.

Eli
The Immortal One

Posts 4503
Registered 1-4-2002

posted on 4-16-2003 at 04:28 AM Edit Post
Am I missing something on the awesome concert thing?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   Eli 's Aim   Eli 's Yahoo
bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7923
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere
Member Is Online

posted on 4-16-2003 at 04:39 AM Edit Post
"most people who choose to do pot become pot-heads"

hey Bones...try for one minute not to be so determined to make me look bad and read that line again...

"most people who choose to do pot become pot-heads"

there's a difference between a person who tries pot and does pot...

Try: To taste, sample, or otherwise test in order to determine strength, effect, worth, or desirability....

Do: To behave or conduct oneself...To make good use of something because of need...To take place; happen...

Most people who go to high school TRY pot...even more people who go to University or College TRY pot as well...

I'm not saying that all people who TRY pot become pot heads and do pot...I'm saying that most people who DO pot end up being pot heads...even if it's just that they spend their Saturday night getting high, to one degree or the other they fit the pot head image...

Michrome
And I am AWESOME

Posts 142
Registered 1-5-2003

Mood: No Mood.

posted on 4-16-2003 at 05:05 AM Edit Post
People that eat steak are meat eaters. Right.

Drug sales DO fund terror, but only because the black market prices are so damn high. If we eliminated the market, it would do a lot more to hurt terrorist organizations.

And you just know that after the anti-cigarette organizations get everything they want, they will go after fast food next...the seeds for that battle have already been planted.

Plus, I hate to bring this up, but there are a lot of scientists that say that the science proving second-hand smoke kills thousands per year is just not there. The anti-smoking companies constantly cite statistics from the EPA study that was ruled to be "junk science" by a Federal Judge, because it was obvious that they worked backwards with their conclusions drawn before they got any data.

chretienbabacool
The Great One

Posts 3444
Registered 3-5-2003
Location Columbia, MO

Mood: Go Cubs!

posted on 4-16-2003 at 05:12 AM Edit Post
I don't know. I don't see how second-hand smoke couldn't be harmful. The fact I cough and wheeze everytime I'm in a smoky bar concerns me. Things like that just seem common sense.
Bonestein
The Rowdy One

Posts 2712
Registered 7-24-2002

Mood: partypartyparty

posted on 4-16-2003 at 05:39 AM Edit Post
Goalie, I'd stop trying to make you look bad if you stopped with the messed up posts. What the hell is this "try" and "do" shit? Dear God. I mean, thanks for the definitions, that was really helpful. I completely see your point now. Pot bad! Wait, that wasn't the point.

Uhhhhhhhhhhhh...

Uhhh...

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

Ok, so wait a minute. So people that DO pot are more likely to become potheads? Well, isn't that the definition of a pothead- someone that smokes weed? What the hell? Where am I? Where'd I leave my car? Whose panties are these?

That's racism man! I love to racism bro!

salmonjunkie

Posts 12822
Registered 6-25-2002

posted on 4-16-2003 at 06:01 AM Edit Post
I always thought of a pothead as someone who does it on a sustained regular basis (like at least once a week).

For example: I DO pot. I'm years past trying it. But I probably smoke it once a month, these days. Granted in college was a pothead, because I was doing it on a daily basis. But now, no. Someone who smokes pot once a month, to me, is not a pothead. And is definitely not TRYING it anymore. Most people I know who have DONE pot are not potheads. They TRIED it, and DID it for a while, and now either don't DO it anymore or just DO it once in a while.

Sorry, BFG, the first time you said the sentence you sounded like a retard. The time you tried to defend yourself with this TRY and DO bullshit made you sound like a pussy, too.

So, you're a retarded pussy. The worst kind of pussy for a man to have.

salmonjunkie

Posts 12822
Registered 6-25-2002

posted on 4-16-2003 at 06:02 AM Edit Post
quote:

In my opinion, pot should be legalized and treated the exact same as alcohol. No one under 21 can smoke, no smoking and driving, no smoking outside, etc. With both smoking and drinking, I think anyone caught driving under the influence should be convicted of idiocy and shipped to Siberia.

I completely agree with you Chretien.

Operation Retard
Beats me, I'm gay!

Posts 3301
Registered 1-4-2002

Mood:

posted on 4-16-2003 at 06:51 AM Edit Post
quote:

I don't know. I don't see how second-hand smoke couldn't be harmful. The fact I cough and wheeze everytime I'm in a smoky bar concerns me. Things like that just seem common sense.

of course you cough. its smokey. you also cough when you go behind a car exhaust. you're breathing in something that isn't air, you're gonna cough. but lets face, even if you go to a smokey bar every single night for a month, you're not gonna inhale as much smoke as the average smoker (pack-a-day) does in a day. plus, and more importantly, you're not inhaling it as deeply, which is actually quite a big factor.

second hand smoke is certainly a discomfort for non-smokers. but as far as cancer goes, i think you gotta be in the pretty unlucky few to get solely from second hand smoke.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   Operation+Retard 's Aim
mr_mysterious2
Showstopper

Posts 709
Registered 3-2-2002

Mood: New Japan

posted on 4-16-2003 at 09:34 AM Edit Post
Then there's that whole using the War on Drugs to justify giving millions upon millions of dollars worth of military aid to Columbia so they can kill leftist guerillas.

What's wrong with being a pothead? Personally, I never touch the stuff, but I don't see anything wrong with potheads, hell its better than dragging a dead skunk into your basement and... well, whatever.

As for the war on junk food, in Canada, we have fully funded medicare, so if some fat little porker who lives on cheeseburgers and bacon grease is going to milk the system for regular coronary bypasses than I say put a 1000% tax on McDonald's products so it doesn't come out of the pocket of someone who knows the meaning of the words salad and exercise.

bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7923
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere
Member Is Online

posted on 4-16-2003 at 03:56 PM Edit Post
Quick question to all the pot lovers here...why do you do pot???

I just don't see how inhaling smoke is a natural instinct of humans...

OO Kyle
The Rowdy One

Posts 2364
Registered 11-21-2002

Mood: McIan-tastic

posted on 4-16-2003 at 04:16 PM Edit Post
You might as well ask why people drink, or smoke, or eat Hagen-Daz.

They do it for the buzz, obviously.

I'd be lying if I said I'd never touched the stuff. But frankly, Pot is one of those things that nobody over the age of 25 should be associated with. One of the few benefits of Growing Up is that you no longer feel the need to kill brain or lung cells.

salmonjunkie

Posts 12822
Registered 6-25-2002

posted on 4-16-2003 at 04:37 PM Edit Post
quote:

I just don't see how inhaling smoke is a natural instinct of humans...

What does inhaling smoke have to do with natural instincts?

I swear, I used to think you were smart, but you're getting dumber and dumber every week. It's getting to the point where I'm getting dumber reading your posts.

Eli
The Immortal One

Posts 4503
Registered 1-4-2002

posted on 4-16-2003 at 04:39 PM Edit Post
Also, if it's not a natural instinct, where did it come from?

2HoT
The Immortal One

Posts 4818
Registered 3-23-2002
Location Yermomsbox PA

Mood: Cock-sure

posted on 4-16-2003 at 04:55 PM Edit Post
I guess I am a lot like Salmon. I am over 25 and I smoke weed. Not a lot of weed, and far less than I did when I was younger. I personally prefer grass to alcohol. It relaxes me and helps relieve stress. Alcohol, while fun, generally makes me feel angry and stupid. Not to mention sick.

I am not ashamed to be a pot smoker but I do not consider myself a "pothead".

I am just waiting for the commercial where the guy smokes a joint and goes in to a blind rage and beats the shit out of his spouse.

Oh wait, an average pot smoker wouldn't do that? It seems that it is much more common among people who abuse alcohol?

Hmm, alcohol is actually dangerous and damaging?

That can't be right.

Look at how good the advert companies make it look.

Who wants soup?

salmonjunkie

Posts 12822
Registered 6-25-2002

posted on 4-16-2003 at 04:59 PM Edit Post
Commercials make alcohol look fun.

Well, it is.

I prefer alcohol to weed, myself.

But.... I just don't see how ingesting alcohol is a natural instinct of humans...

and... I just don't see how taking it up the ass is a natural instinct of humans...

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll

go to top