The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
New Topic New Poll
Author: Subject: Kyoto Protocol
Eli
The Immortal One

Posts 4503
Registered 1-4-2002

Mood: Careworn

posted on 9-5-2002 at 01:32 AM Edit Post
Kyoto Protocol

For those who don't know what the Kyoto Protocol is, follow this link...

http://www.msnbc.com/news/798955.asp?0si=-

Basically, America told the rest of the world that it was too costly or us to worry about the continued existance of the human race...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   Eli 's Aim   Eli 's Yahoo
Bonestein
The Rowdy One

Posts 2712
Registered 7-24-2002

Mood: partypartyparty

posted on 9-5-2002 at 06:41 AM Edit Post
I'm going to say this in the most non-political way I can-

The Kyoto is a big fucking gong-show.

Thank you and good night.

That's racism man! I love to racism bro!

Denethor
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1661
Registered 3-27-2002

Mood: Meh

posted on 9-5-2002 at 06:29 PM Edit Post
boohoo... doesn't the US do enough on this planet for everyone else???? now we have to subsidize the treehugger program? how about we let somebody else head this one up. britain, canada, germany, i don't care, but SOMEBODY else please take some goddamn initiative! i mean, you complain that we consider ourselves the police of this planet, but when shit like this comes up, everyone looks to us for money and leadership. just like a woman that tells you she's liberated, then expects you to pick up the tab for dinner.

believe me, the US is doing plenty for the continued existance of the human race. fuck the greenhouse effect, i'm just a tad more worried about an arab planting a dirty bomb at my local 7-11. as long as bush is taking care of that business, i'm fine with it.

you save the environment, we'll rid the world of terrorism. deal?

Bonestein
The Rowdy One

Posts 2712
Registered 7-24-2002

posted on 9-5-2002 at 08:12 PM Edit Post
Sure- sooo, how's that war on terrorism going anyway? So far we know they've blasted the shit out of a lot of stuff- has anything been accomplished? It's been a year now.

I'm just ragging on ya.

bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7922
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

Mood: Stratusfied

posted on 9-5-2002 at 08:28 PM Edit Post
Canada provides numerous peace keeping efforts, provides health care for many forigein children...and oh yeah...GAVE A HELL OF A LOT OF MONEY TO THE 9/11 FUND....I know other countries give money to...

If you act like the world's parents, don't be surprised if the "kids" ask for some money. Oh, and if you want something worth while to bitch @...bitch about China, Cuba, and Russia...which do very little for their own people and the other people in the world.

Oh, and here's some info for you about the "treehugger" program...which country produces the most trash and pollutes the earth the most??? I'll give you a hint...it's in between Canada and Mexico...

Bonestein
The Rowdy One

Posts 2712
Registered 7-24-2002

posted on 9-5-2002 at 09:44 PM Edit Post
Uh oh, my spidey senses detect another political debate where no one wins...

BFG- I agree with you, you magnificant Canadian bastard (even though it seems to me you said you were from Ontario...)

Denethor
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1661
Registered 3-27-2002

posted on 9-5-2002 at 10:36 PM Edit Post
the war is going fine, thanks. we've been blowing shit up for a year, and we've yet to be blown up again ourselves. i call that fairly successful. obviously this isn't a 'sign the treaty and pay reparations' war. it will probably not really have an ending, just fizzle out. or everyone will turn against the US and destroy us. could go either way.

goalie, i didn't say one single solitary bad thing about canada. as usual, i respect your views and your country. and your hockey. and your wrestling crowds.

yes, we do produce a lot of trash. just last year my city alone produced 1.6 million tons of extra garbage. and as long as the sights, and the smell of ash and god knows what else from that day, and the sounds of the people around me are still burned into my brain (and forever will be), i'm going to keep my views and say for now, fuck everything else, lets kill some terrorists. i know that's short sighted. fuck it, i don't care. maybe in time my views will change a bit.

sorry to get melodramatic for a minute. just want to make it clear that I'm not trying to make this a US vs. Canada debate.

and i guess i should point out that i have nothing against the environment and the people trying to protect it. sorry if it came off that way.

Bonestein
The Rowdy One

Posts 2712
Registered 7-24-2002

posted on 9-5-2002 at 11:04 PM Edit Post
Ca-na-da!
Ca-na-da!
Ca-na-da!

Just kidding around.

But on a serious note, the US army did blow something up. A training exercise by them went wrong and they fired on a group of Canadian soldiers, killing 4. As far as I know, President Bush has still not apologized for it. Just a little FYI.

Eli
The Immortal One

Posts 4503
Registered 1-4-2002

posted on 9-6-2002 at 01:01 AM Edit Post
The simple fact of the matter is that America's disregard for Kyoto combined with it's meddaling around in foreign affairs is gonna lead to bif trouble one day. When you sit and tell the whole world that you aren't going to participate in an agreement designed to lower ozone depletion because it would affect our economic situation. When you are the richest company in the world and your concened about your economic situation being affected by a treaty designed to save the ozone layer, it looks pretty bad. And to top it all off, its a government I didn't even sanction in my vote. A government that lost the popular vote.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   Eli 's Aim   Eli 's Yahoo
Denethor
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1661
Registered 3-27-2002

posted on 9-6-2002 at 03:53 PM Edit Post
dude, it already got us in a spot of trouble.

and bone, let me officially apologize for my country's stupid training excercises that lead to pointless deaths. it seems like at least once a month we hear about a "training accident" on the news where somebody dies. note to US government: train soldiers BEFORE sending them to the middle east.

bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7922
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

Mood: Stratusfied

posted on 9-8-2002 at 08:36 PM Edit Post
how about we let somebody else head this one up. britain, canada, germany, i don't care, but SOMEBODY else please take some goddamn initiative!

- Denethor....

Sorry, but as a Canadian I'm a little prissy towards the lack of respect most people give Canada. Espically George Bush. Britian is America's greatest supporter??? Why??? Because their leaders want Bush to bomb first, ask questions later???

Oh, and Bone, ONTARIO IS CANADA!!!

Just kidding but we do make up a lot of the population...@ least 1/3 of it.

Denethor
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1661
Registered 3-27-2002

posted on 9-9-2002 at 08:54 PM Edit Post
Understood. This will probably sound about as ignorant/American as it possibly can, but after taking Canadian Cinema (you guys do some pretty good movies... Cube was quite good) and Intro to Canada (yes, there really is such a thing at Plattsburgh State U), at skool a few years back, I get that feeling. About the whole lack of respect thing.
Bonestein
The Rowdy One

Posts 2712
Registered 7-24-2002

posted on 9-9-2002 at 10:56 PM Edit Post
If you want great Canadian cinema (not really cinema, because it's a tv series), try to get ahold of "Trailer Park Boys". It's filmed in Halifax, local actors, and it is fucking hilarious. Best show on tv, pure genius.

mr_mysterious2
Showstopper

Posts 709
Registered 3-2-2002

Mood: New Japan

posted on 11-29-2002 at 09:50 AM Edit Post
Kyoto and the war on terror

Of course, if the US would sign Kyoto and move away from a fossil fuel based energy economy (practical technology already exists for this by the way), they wouldn't need to occupy the Middle East in order to secure their oil interests and the terrorists would all go home...

Oh, and yeah, Canadian film does kick ass. Check out "Last Night", "The Red Violin", "Five Senses", "Highway 61", and "Exotica".

Rule of thumb: If you see Don McKellar or Atom Egoyan's names attached to it, you'll know that its worth seeing.

salmonjunkie
Best There Is Was or Ever Will Be

Posts 12817
Registered 6-25-2002
Location Sunny Seattle, WA

Mood: FICKLE!

posted on 12-2-2002 at 10:01 AM Edit Post
It won't happen any time soon with our leaders having so many ties to the oil companies.

I've not seen much Canadian cinema. Does Strange Brew count?

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo
Bonestein
The Rowdy One

Posts 2712
Registered 7-24-2002

posted on 12-2-2002 at 08:59 PM Edit Post
Strange Brew DEFINITELY counts, and DEFINITELY rocks. Fuck, I haven't seen that movie in like 3 years, I better remedy that over the holidays.

Pistol Pez
I am a pathetic troll

Posts 723
Registered 5-11-2002
Location Ohio

Mood: No Mood.

posted on 12-5-2002 at 07:19 PM Edit Post
by the time i got to the link, the story wasn't there anymore. but if this is another ozone/global warming debate:

the globe has been warming for a long time. ever hear of the ice age? i'm pretty sure the global warming that ended that wasn't caused by coal-fired power plants. i don't figure the cooking fires the cavemen used had much to do with it either. furthermore, i heard on the news last year that the ozone hold was closing up again. huh.

environmental "science" is driven by ideology much more than by science, and making national or world policy based on it would be foolhardy.

Eli
The Immortal One

Posts 4503
Registered 1-4-2002

posted on 12-5-2002 at 07:58 PM Edit Post
Pez,
Your calling in life has been answered. If you are not a member of the Republican party, join now!

The universe seems neither benign nor hostile, merely indifferent.

mr_mysterious2
Showstopper

Posts 709
Registered 3-2-2002

Mood: New Japan

posted on 12-5-2002 at 08:49 PM Edit Post
Wheras warming and cooling periods are typical of earth's cycles, the current concern is more of rapid climate change. Ice core samples taken in Antarctica preserve air samples and serve as an archive of the composition of air particles over time. Since the onset of the industrial revolution there has been a drastic upswing in greenhouse gasses in the atmosphere. It is important to note that a certain amount of greenhouse gasses are esssential in the atmosphere in order for life to exist on the planet, however, when the balance is altered (as is being done by the overuse of many fossil fuels), the climate of ecosystems change at a pace that is too fast for many species to be able to evolve and adapt.

Perhaps "global warming" is somewhat of a misnomer as the greatest concern is really the rapid climate change that will offset the balance of plant migrations and food chains that are vital to the survival of many species on the planet.

Will humans be able to adapt to rapid climate change? Given our technological adaptability, I'd say yes. However, we'll be adapting in a world with violent weather patterns and virulant diseases.

What's most frustrating about this scenario is that there is little that needs to be done. Development of already available energy alternatives and the political will to legislate energy efficient vehicles and appliances won't only benefit the environment, but the consumer also as energy costs would decrease significantly in a competitive supplier economy.

The problem is something that advocates of free market economics should be concerned about: a monopoly. The fossil fuel dominated energy industry has been subsidized by government and has used its resulting dominance in the marketplace to buy up developing technology alternatives and halt their development. Because of this, the free market has been corrupted and consumers are unable to act as arbiters of supply and demand. In my view, this stands in contrast to any arguments in favour of resisting change in order to preserve the economy as the doctrines upon which free-market ideologies are built are being contravened in order to preserve the power structure that is in place.

New Topic New Poll

go to top