Board logo

WWE 2K18
nOOb - 7-30-2017 at 09:16 PM

It's getting close to that time where WWE and 2K team up to pop out another WWE game. Here's what we know so far:

1) Seth Rollins is on the cover
2) ....ehh

So right now there's really not a whole lot out there. What makes this addition must-own? What are we looking at, roster-wise? Well, right now all we have is the rumors (and IGN kinda, which is the same exact thing until they start doing roster reveals). Right now, the two big things being thrown out there are that the on-board roster is 180-200 (as usual, this is likely different era versions of guys being counted) and, finally since we've been on next-gen forever now, 8 players on the screen at the same time (seriously, we've been on six for over 10 years, if it's only a rumor, it needs to stop being one).

As far as announced rosters, it's the usual suspects: Cena and Orton are confirmed, as are Triple H, Seth Rollins, Kevin Owens, Kurt Angle (both his regular form and WWECW Kurt), and non-roster guys Batista and RVD.

And on the versions out there, you get three choices (two if you go digital). The regular version includes the regular game and releases mid-October. The Deluxe Version, which includes the Season Pass, releases 4 days early, which is new and an incentive only if you need a game fix. The over-priced Collector's Edition pays homage to 15 years of John Cena, gives you a statue of him, and a signed piece of the Royal Rumble ring apron.

the goon - 8-3-2017 at 11:37 PM

I haven't played a WWE game since Day of Reckoning 2 on the Gamecube (anybody remember that one?), but have been thinking about picking up WWE 2K18 ever since it was announced for the Switch. After so long, I think it would be fun to dive back into a WWE game, though I'm not sure that I'd want to spend the full $60 on it. So I'm sure I'll pick it up at some point, but probably not until the price has come down a little bit.

Cherokee Jack - 8-4-2017 at 01:07 AM

If you can wait a month it always pops up in Black Friday sales for $30-40.

CamstunPWG187 - 8-4-2017 at 03:24 AM

Day of Reckoning 2 was the last great WWE game.

That was 12 years ago.

I hate Yukes.

Chris Is Good517 - 8-4-2017 at 08:38 PM

2K has had info on a very slow drip, but the first screenshots look graphically impressive. Here's what we know so far about the roster and I'll update as more are confirmed:

- Batista (DLC, early access with purchase of Deluxe Edition)
- John Cena
- Kurt Angle (pre-order bonus, will be available later as DLC)
- Rob Van Dam (DLC, early access with purchase of Deluxe Edition)
- Seth Rollins

There's also a 2006 One Night Stand alt attire for Cena available with the Deluxe Edition. Hopefully we'll start getting more details on the roster later this month. I wanna know if Papa Shango is in again.

CM Crunk - 8-5-2017 at 01:06 AM

2K's hype model for releasing these games drives me insane. It may have even started back in the dying days of THQ, but I remember when the Smackdown series was sold on gameplay info and footage. One of my favorite things in the lead up to each release was watching the daily entrance videos they'd post on IGN. Those were the good ol' days when the games would normally see marked improvements from their previous installments. Now we get an artsy fartsy commercial, normally a legend like Sting, Angle or Goldberg($$$DLC$$$), some brief dev videos and a handful of still images that normally don't 100% reflect the final build.

I am cautiously optimistic about this years entry since they finally ditched the last gen versions and have hopefully spent their freed up time and resources on making the current gen release the best it can possibly be. If they can deliver on their promises of a more involved and interesting story mode I'll be a happy camper. Oh, and as much as I love the CAW suite as it is right now, I could always go for more improvements since I spent probably 75% of my time playing the game just getting all zen and making a custom roster thats grown and grown since WWF No Mercy 64.

Flash - 8-8-2017 at 04:21 PM

I'd like to see the return of a be a GM or story builder mode again; but after having bought 2k16 and barely played it I've gotten a lot of use out of 2k17. The ability to upload faces has made the creation suite pretty cool... I can't build worth shit, but have download a number of really good community creations.

A return of the match editing would be nice; like on older versions you could make a fatal four way into an elimination match instead of the sudden death version that the WWE favours.

Small quibble, but it's been a bizarre thing they've done for a few years now... if you are going to go to the trouble of putting detailed managers in the game, make them completely playable.

Chris Is Good517 - 8-14-2017 at 09:14 PM

Update 8/14/17: character models for Brock Lesnar and Randy Orton were shown during a developers' video, and boy does the overhauled graphics engine for this game look good. Even if no other functional aspect of the gameplay improves, it's going to be a pretty game.

No official word yet on a full roster reveal but speculation is we'll get more over the SummerSlam weekend festivites.

- Batista (DLC, early access with purchase of Deluxe Edition)
- Brock Lesnar
- John Cena
- Kurt Angle (pre-order bonus, will be available later as DLC)
- Randy Orton
- Rob Van Dam (DLC, early access with purchase of Deluxe Edition)
- Seth Rollins

Chris Is Good517 - 8-16-2017 at 09:46 PM

Huge update today as IGN revealed the first part of their roster reveal. I'm assuming this is just one part of a three or maybe four parter, this was quite the dump of names. New names will be bolded.

Akira Tozawa
Alexander Wolfe
Alundra Blayze
Andre the Giant
Bam Bam Bigelow
Baron Corbin
Batista (DLC, early access with purchase of Deluxe Edition)
Big Bossman
Big Show
Braun Strowman
Bray Wyatt
Bret Hart
Brie Bella
British Bulldog
Brock Lesnar
Buddy Roberts
Bushwacker Butch
Bushwacker Luke
Cesaro
DDP
Dean Ambrose
Diesel/Kevin Nash
Dolph Ziggler
Dusty Rhodes
Emma
Erick Rowan
Eric Young
Goldust
Hideo Itami
Jinder Mahal
John Cena
Kalisto
Kane
Karl Anderson
Killian Dain
Konnor
Kurt Angle (pre-order bonus, available later as DLC)
Lita
Luke Gallows
Luke Harper
Mark Henry
Nikki Bella
Nikki Cross
Paige
Randy Orton
Rob Van Dam (DLC, early access with purchase of Deluxe Edition)
Sami Zayn
Sawyer Fulton
Seth Rollins
Sheamus
Sin Cara
Summer Rae
Undertaker
Viktor

I'm pleasantly surprised to see that a)they shot their load by announcing all of SAnitY in week one and b) everyone from SAnitY, including Sawyer Fulton who has been off TV injured so long I kind of forgot he even existed, was included. IGN has videos of a few entrances up that I'm not bothering to post here. More to come next week.

Cherokee Jack - 8-17-2017 at 01:57 AM

The most interesting name on that list to me is Tozawa.

Obviously it makes sense to announce him now given his title win and all, but I feel like I've read/heard that the general cutoff for roster inclusions (DLC aside) is around Wrestlemania, and at that point this year Tozawa wasn't really a featured player at all. He had just debuted on TV in February and didn't get involved with Neville till the summer.

I figured the cruiserweights would have some presence, but kinda had a feeling that it might only end up being like, Neville, Kendrick and one or two others. Unless the cutoff has changed, this might suggest that there will be a considerable CW representation.

nOOb - 8-17-2017 at 03:34 PM

I figure that the cruisers will just be Neville, Gallagher, Kendrick, TJ Perkins since he won the title first, Tozawa, and probably Austin Aries as your "guy who doesn't work here anymore". They'll have a presence, but probably on enough of one to justify them adding the title to the game. My big worry is that the DLC packs this year will be everyone else on the cruiser roster mixed with legends. Though, if they do what it sounds like they're going to do, maybe that isn't the worst thing.

Chris Is Good517 - 8-17-2017 at 08:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by nOOb
My big worry is that the DLC packs this year will be everyone else on the cruiser roster mixed with legends. Though, if they do what it sounds like they're going to do, maybe that isn't the worst thing.

There are rumors that the future stars DLC pack is going to be Tyler Bate, Pete Dunne, Trent Seven, and some cruisers that get left off the disc.

Chris Is Good517 - 8-23-2017 at 09:10 PM

Pretty underwhelming reveal from IGN this week; lots of gimmes and recycled legends from last year with no real surprises except for Bobby Roode and Ember Moon, who weren't exactly longshots to be in the game anyway. This week's reveals are bolded.

AJ Styles
Akira Tozawa
Alexander Wolfe
Alundra Blayze
Andre the Giant
Bam Bam Bigelow
Baron Corbin
Bayley
Becky Lynch
Big Bossman
Big Show
Bobby Roode
Braun Strowman
Bray Wyatt
Bret Hart
Brie Bella
British Bulldog
Brock Lesnar
Brutus Beefcake
Buddy Roberts
Bushwacker Butch
Bushwacker Luke
Cesaro
Daniel Bryan
DDP
Dean Ambrose
Diesel/Kevin Nash
Dolph Ziggler
Dusty Rhodes
Earthquake
Eddie Guerrero
Edge
Ember Moon
Emma
Erick Rowan
Eric Young
Godfather
Goldberg
Goldust
Greg Valentine
Hideo Itami
Ivory
Jey Uso
Jim Neidhart
Jimmy Uso
Jinder Mahal
John Cena
Kalisto
Kane
Karl Anderson
Kerry Von Erich
Kevin Von Erich
Killian Dain
Konnor
Larry Zybszko
Lita
Luke Gallows
Luke Harper
Mark Henry
Maryse
Miz
Mojo Rawley
Naomi
Natalya
Nikki Bella
Nikki Cross
Paige
Randy Orton
Rock
Roman Reigns
Sami Zayn
Sasha Banks
Sawyer Fulton
Seth Rollins
Sheamus
Shinsuke Nakamura
Sin Cara
Summer Rae
Tamina
Triple H
Undertaker
Viktor
Zack Ryder

So there ya go. From here it's pretty easy to stitch together the remainders of the current roster who will be announced over the next two weeks, but I wish we were getting more of an idea of which legends and NXT talent to expect to be included. I'm guessing IGN played it cool today given that Gamescom is going on and they figured this was going to mostly fly under the radar.

the goon - 8-24-2017 at 08:21 PM

Since I've been out of the loop with WWE games for the past 10+ years (and have never played any of the WWE 2K games), how does the game work if I want to play the storyline mode as, say, Brutus Beefcake? Does it just plop Beefcake into modern day WWE and I play through the game as him? Or are all the older guys only available to use in multiplayer mode and not in the main game?

And speaking of the roster, it's kind of mind-boggling to me how many guys they're now able to squeeze into a WWE game. I think all of the N64/Gamecube WWE games that I played in my late teens and early 20's had like what, 30 or so wrestlers max?

CamstunPWG187 - 8-25-2017 at 04:51 PM

More than that, bro. Attitude, No Mercy, Revenge....Those games had big time rosters.

the goon - 8-27-2017 at 10:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CamstunPWG187
More than that, bro. Attitude, No Mercy, Revenge....Those games had big time rosters.

Yeah, you're right. Upon doing some online research, the N64/Gaemcube games definitely had bigger rosters than I remember. I guess the inclusion of all the former/retired wrestlers in the WWE 2K games is what makes the roster seem so much bigger to me than the older games.

Chris Is Good517 - 8-28-2017 at 08:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by the goon
Since I've been out of the loop with WWE games for the past 10+ years (and have never played any of the WWE 2K games), how does the game work if I want to play the storyline mode as, say, Brutus Beefcake? Does it just plop Beefcake into modern day WWE and I play through the game as him? Or are all the older guys only available to use in multiplayer mode and not in the main game?

There's really not a storyline mode, per se, in the game anymore. There IS a "My Career" option but that has you creating your own character and using him throughout.

But the big draw now is Universe Mode, which is a huge expansion of the GM Mode concept from a decade or so ago. You basically get to completely customize shows, rosters, calendar, tag teams and stables, titles, etc., and then play through the matches you book as you see fit, or sim them, whatever.

Oh, and this year they've finally got to where they can have eight guys in the ring at a time as opposed to the six at a time they've had for decades now, which is going to make Rumbles more chaotic and Survivor Series matches a lot more realistic.

nOOb - 8-30-2017 at 02:53 PM

I'll leave the update to Chris, but between Roderick Strong, TM-61, and #DIY making the cut to the friggin Model Rick Martel being in his first WWE game since the SNES, this is a day one buy for me. Seriously: how can you improve on this roster, especially since they still have one more chunk left to announce?

[Edited on 8-30-2017 by nOOb]

CamstunPWG187 - 8-30-2017 at 04:34 PM

W....Wait....Strong is in it?

RODERICK STRONG IS IN A WWE GAME?!

Color me interested.

Chris Is Good517 - 8-30-2017 at 09:32 PM

quote:
W....Wait....Strong is in it?

RODERICK STRONG IS IN A WWE GAME?!

Color me interested.

He is indeed.

Quite the update today. A bunch of pleasant surprises. Today's reveals are in bold.

AJ Styles
Akam
Akira Tozawa
Alexa Bliss
Alexander Wolfe
Alundra Blayze
Andre the Giant
Apollo Crews
Asuka
Bam Bam Bigelow
Baron Corbin
Bayley
Becky Lynch
Big Bossman
Big Cass
Big Show
Bobby Roode
Braun Strowman
Bray Wyatt
Bret Hart
Brie Bella
British Bulldog
Brock Lesnar
Brutus Beefcake
Buddy Roberts
Bushwacker Butch
Bushwacker Luke
Carmella
Cedric Alexander
Cesaro
Chad Gable
Chris Jericho
Dana Brooke
Daniel Bryan
Dash Wilder
DDP
Dean Ambrose
Diesel/Kevin Nash
Dolph Ziggler
Dusty Rhodes
Earthquake
Eddie Guerrero
Edge
Ember Moon
Emma
Erick Rowan
Eric Young
Finn Balor
Godfather
Goldberg
Goldust
Greg Valentine
Hideo Itami
Ivory
Jason Jordan
Jey Uso
Jim Neidhart
Jimmy Garvin
Jimmy Uso
Jinder Mahal
John Cena
Johnny Gargano
Kalisto
Kane
Karl Anderson
Kerry Von Erich
Kevin Owens
Kevin Von Erich
Killian Dain
Konnor
Larry Zybszko
Lex Luger
Lita
Luke Gallows
Luke Harper
Mark Henry
Maryse
Michael P.S. Hayes
Mick Foley
Miss Jacqueline
Miz
Mojo Rawley
Mr. Perfect
Nia Jax
Naomi
Natalya
Neville
Nick Miller
Nikki Bella
Nikki Cross
Paige
Randy Orton
Randy Savage
Razor Ramon
Rezar
Ric Flair
Rick Martel
Rick Rude
Ricky Steamboat
Rikishi
Rock
Roderick Strong
Roman Reigns
Rusev
Sami Zayn
Samoa Joe
Sasha Banks
Sawyer Fulton
Scott Dawson
Seth Rollins
Shane Thorne
Sheamus
Shinsuke Nakamura
Sin Cara
Summer Rae
Tamina
TJP
Tommaso Ciampa
Triple H
Tye Dillinger
Undertaker
Vader
Viktor
Zack Ryder

So with virtually nothing but a hunch, I'm guessing that Drew McIntyre and Alestair Black end up being part of the Future Stars DLC along with Dunne and Bate (which makes total sense from a business perspective).

- There's still a few notable male members of the main roster missing. I'd bet the farm next week that the three New Day guys are confirmed, as well as Enzo, Heath Slater and Rhino, Primo and Epico, Breeze and Fandango, Curtis Axel and Bo Dallas, and the long anticipated video game debut of James Ellsworth. Unless I'm having a huge brain fart I can't think of anybody else who we see regularly who isn't confirmed here. I can't imagine it'll be a WWE game without some McMahons so I'm betting Vince and Shane are announced next week.

- On the female side, Charlotte is a lock and I'd be really surprised if Lana isn't playable this go-round. Alicia Fox will be in. Trish is a safe bet. Steph is probably a gimme. There are rumors that Peyton Royce and Billie Kaye were scanned but I'm on the bubble as to if they'd be on disc or DLC (I'm hoping they're on disc so we can maybe get Ruby Riot as DLC). Given her induction into this year's HoF, Beth Phoenix is likely for the HoF DLC pack down the road.

- As for the cruisers, I think Aries' release came late enough in the development cycle that he'll still be in the game. As former CW champs, I think Rich Swann and Brian Kendrick aren't risky bets. Outside of them I think Jack Gallagher and arguably Mustafi Ali are the only cruisers popular enough to really merit inclusion, and I don't have high hopes at all for Ali.

- Remaining NXT guys: Like I said, McIntyre and Black are my locks to be DLC. On disc I think we'll see No Way Jose, Andrade Almas, and Kassius Ohno along with Royce and Kaye. Is there anybody else from NXT both popular enough and has been around long enough to make the cut?

Which leaves us with the legends. I already mentioned Trish, and I think based on past games and common sense, Austin, HBK, Sting, and Warrior are all locks. I'd put money on Booker T, JBL, Arn Anderson, and Christian. From last year's game, Sid, Tatanka, Albert, and the New Age Outlaws already have existing models and would be easy to use again. I'm thinking surely we get one new or at least returning legend besides Rick Martel. X-Pac, Piper, Yokozuna? Maybe they totally blindside us with Hogan? I dunno. Predicting the legends is by far the hardest part outside of the really obvious missing four (Austin, Warrior, Sting, HBK).

So my official predictions for next week: Big E, Kofi, Woods, Shane O'Mac, Vince, Ellsworth, Rhyno, Slater, Axel, Dallas, Epico, Primo, Breeze, Fandango, Enzo, Charlotte, Alicia, Lana, Steph, Trish, Billie Kaye, Peyton Royce, Aries, Kendrick, Swann, No Way Jose, Andrade Almas, Kassius Ohno, Stone Cold, HBK, Sting, Warrior, JBL, Booker T, Arn Anderson, Christian, Sid, Tatanka, Road Dogg, Billy Gunn. That's 40, which leaves room for maybe 5 or so surprises.

ETA: I forgot about Jake the Snake being likely for the legends and Darren Young, Titus O'Neil, and the Hardyz on the main roster. So that seems like a pretty full reveal next week unless I really whiffed on who I think is getting in on the legends/NXT/cruisers side.

[Edited on 8-30-2017 by Chris Is Good517]

CamstunPWG187 - 8-31-2017 at 06:01 AM

yet for some reason Ohno isn't in it...lame

Cherokee Jack - 8-31-2017 at 01:05 PM

NXT side, I think you have it pretty well nailed. I have my doubts if Almas or Ohno make the cut on disc this time around, but I can't think of anyone else who would come ahead of them.

Cruisers, yeah I'd be surprised if Swann, Kendrick or Gallagher aren't on there, but I think that probably caps it. I don't see Ali making it, and if there ARE any more to be included, I almost feel like Drew Gulak might be next in line, as he's the only other CWC guy they've brought in that's had any kind of consistent spotlight or character development since 205 Live began.

Cherokee Jack - 9-6-2017 at 02:54 PM

Final roster chunk announced

NXT: Peyton Royce, Billie Kay, No Way Jose, Kassius Ohno
Cruisers: Swann, Kendrick, Gallagher, Noam Dar, Gran Metallik

Not much in the way of surprises beyond that. The rest of the main roster, the usual legends that were in last year's game or are in most every year. Think the only real "debut" which isn't technically a debut is Rhyno's first game appearance in forever.

Shockingly the Hardys are not on there, but I have to assume they'll be at the top of the list for DLC.

[Edited on 9-6-2017 by Cherokee Jack]

Chris Is Good517 - 9-6-2017 at 09:12 PM

The final reveal today. Everybody listed is the on-disc roster. DLC is still to be announced (I'd guess within the next 2-3 weeks, probably closer to the 2 side).

Aiden English
AJ Styles
Akam
Akira Tozawa
Alexa Bliss
Alexander Wolfe
Alicia Fox
Alundra Blayze
Andre the Giant
Apollo Crews
Asuka
Bam Bam Bigelow
Baron Corbin
Bayley
Becky Lynch
Big Bossman
Big Cass
Big E
Big Show
Billie Kaye
Bo Dallas
Bobby Roode
Booker T
Braun Strowman
Bray Wyatt
Bret Hart
Brie Bella
British Bulldog
Brock Lesnar
Brutus Beefcake
Buddy Roberts
Bushwacker Butch
Bushwacker Luke
Carmella
Cedric Alexander
Cesaro
Chad Gable
Charlotte Flair
Chris Jericho
Christian
Curt Hawkins
Curtis Axel
Dana Brooke
Daniel Bryan
Darren Young
Dash Wilder
DDP
Dean Ambrose
Diesel/Kevin Nash
Dolph Ziggler
Dusty Rhodes
Earthquake
Eddie Guerrero
Edge
Ember Moon
Emma
Enzo Amore
Epico Colon
Erick Rowan
Eric Young
Fandango
Finn Balor
Godfather
Goldberg
Goldust
Gran Metalik
Greg Valentine
Heath Slater
Hideo Itami
Ivory
Jack Gallagher
Jake "the Snake" Roberts
Jason Jordan
JBL
Jey Uso
Jim Neidhart
Jimmy Garvin
Jimmy Uso
Jinder Mahal
John Cena
Johnny Gargano
Kalisto
Kane
Karl Anderson
Kassius Ohno
Kerry Von Erich
Kevin Owens
Kevin Von Erich
Killian Dain
Kofi Kingston
Konnor
Larry Zybszko
Lex Luger
Lita
Luke Gallows
Luke Harper
Mark Henry
Maryse
Michael P.S. Hayes
Mick Foley
Miss Jacqueline
Miz
Mojo Rawley
Mr. Perfect
Naomi
Natalya
Neville
Nia Jax
Nick Miller
Nikki Bella
Nikki Cross
No Way Jose
Noam Dar
Paige
Peyton Royce
Primo Colon
R-Truth
Randy Orton
Randy Savage
Razor Ramon
Rezar
Rhyno
Ric Flair
Rich Swann
Rick Martel
Rick Rude
Ricky Steamboat
Rikishi
Rock
Roderick Strong
Roman Reigns
Rusev
Sami Zayn
Samoa Joe
Sasha Banks
Sawyer Fulton
Scott Dawson
Seth Rollins
Shane McMahon
Shane Thorne
Shawn Michaels
Sheamus
Shinsuke Nakamura
Sin Cara
Stephanie McMahon
Sting
Stone Cold Steve Austin
Summer Rae
Sycho Sid
Tamina
Tatanka
Tatsumi Fujinami
The Brian Kendrick
Titus O'Neil
TJP
Tommaso Ciampa
Triple H
Trish Stratus
Tye Dillinger
Tyler Breeze
Typhoon
Tyson Kidd
Ultimate Warrior
Undertaker
Vader
Viktor
Xavier Woods
Zack Ryder

So that's the full disc line-up. I wish I was surprised by the Hardyz not making the cut, but like Jack mentioned above, they're a bona fide DLC sales driver, so I'm not that worried about them. What did surprise me some was the exclusion of Lana and James Ellsworth (although both may be on disc as managers; and if not are likely candidates for DLC). Getting Tyson Kidd was a nice surprise, and I'm not necessarily mad at Gran Metalik making the cut as much as I am confused; I'd think Mustafa Ali, Tony Nese, or Drew Gulak would all have a better claim for a spot.

Pretty disappointed that Aries was cut unless he's on disc and they just opted not to announce him out of spite; CM Punk was in 2K15 even though he left the company 10 months prior to its release and Aries only left in July, but I don't know how far along they've come with the ability to add/remove people expediently over the last three years.

A few of the legends inclusions are baffling. Like who the fuck keeps asking for Tatsumi Fujinami? Why cut Brian Pillman and keep him? Why not rebuild some burned bridges so we can get the Road Warriors or the Steiners instead of bringing back the Bushwackers and the Natural Disasters AGAIN? But I'm really nitpicking here because there was a time when we only got 4-6 legends per game, so I really shouldn't get too indignant about it.

Anyway, predictions for DLC because why not:

Cruiserweight pack: Mustafa Ali, Drew Gulak, Tony Nese, Lince Dorado, Ariya Davari
NXT/Future Stars pack: Alestair Black, Drew McIntyre, Andrade "Cien" Almas, Ruby Riot, Tyler Bate, Pete Dunne
Legends/HoF pack: the Hardyz, Ted DiBiase, Beth Phoenix, Rock n' Roll Express

nOOb - 9-6-2017 at 09:37 PM

I agree on Fujinami. Not just that most regular players have no idea who he is, but they put zero effort into him. Hell, the photo of him is just a picture of the player model. I'd rather have kept Arn Anderson or Brian Pillman in instead. Or got Stan Hansen or Terry Gordy. But there's more positives than negatives with this roster (hell, lack of Pillman and Arn are my only gripes). If Alestair Black and Andrade make the DLC cut, I think this might be the perfect roster. I'd totally understand if WWE and 2K held back on a lot of good DLC names because, honestly, I can't think of anyone on the indy scene or NXT or anything like that that could be added to this roster and make 2K19 a "must buy" (unless they completely redo the framework of the game to allow for 8 players on the screen).

I'm also pleased 2K kept DDP and Rick Rude in the game. It would have been really easy for them to keep them out only to put them in a Hall of Fame pack and they didn't. Now they can throw the Rock and Roll Express and Beth Phoenix in another pack (or, something that might get people excited, they could do another HoF Story Pack and maybe on top of the Rock and Roll Express, we get the Midnight Express, too).

Cherokee Jack - 9-6-2017 at 10:19 PM

Pretty sure that removing Aries wouldn't be an issue. As I remember it, the only reason Punk still made it onto 2K15 was because Punk vs Cena was a featured part of the Rivalry Showcase mode, and 2K had said that there was no way to remove Punk without completely eliminating the Showcase.

Flash - 9-12-2017 at 10:11 PM

You can add Vince McMahon to the list of newly revealed wrestlers in the game... I'm hoping they use a newer scan for him; as the non-playable in a match manager Vince was newer, but the playable in a match Vince was from like 98 or so.

I wish they'd also do a newer scan for some of the legends when and where possible; like HBK or Hart- have a version in their prime, and another skin for their current salt and pepper years.

nOOb - 9-16-2017 at 03:35 PM

On top of Vince, two more additional characters were added. Albert is now in the game (they figured that if they were going to have his model in for career mode, then why not?). More importantly, Papa Shango is back. Which means that this is an Arn Anderson/Brian Pillman away from being perfect.

Cherokee Jack - 9-27-2017 at 12:00 AM

DLC announced, or at least some of it. To be made available for download:

Matt and Jeff Hardy (obvious)

The Rock and Roll Express (cool)

Drew McIntyre (expected)

Beth Phoenix (no surprise)

Elias (not a shock)

Ruby Riot (Yes!)

Lars Sullivan (huh. okay then.)

Didn't say if there's more to come, but aren't there usually more than his?

nOOb - 9-27-2017 at 12:27 AM

Yep and the last addition is Alestair Black. So the names you mentioned plus him. That's it. That's, at best, a $10 value. I mean, this roster was pretty solid and these were essentially the missing pieces but it kinda irks me that they're going to charge a premium Season Pass price for what is essentially half of what they usually give. I blame the Switch version

CM Crunk - 9-27-2017 at 01:34 AM

quote:
Originally posted by nOOb
Yep and the last addition is Alestair Black. So the names you mentioned plus him. That's it. That's, at best, a $10 value. I mean, this roster was pretty solid and these were essentially the missing pieces but it kinda irks me that they're going to charge a premium Season Pass price for what is essentially half of what they usually give. I blame the Switch version

Apparently 2K is going to release more details on all of the DLC packs tomorrow (9/28) so maybe we'll get a little more to justify the sticker price. Personally, I'm actually pretty jazzed about this years version. So much so that I'm using terms like "jazzed." The roster is pretty stacked, and I was honestly hoping that maybe (MABEY) we might get someone that debuted late in the production cycle like Aleister Black and here we have him, McIntyre, Riot, and Sullivan. So yay for that and not having to wait for any of them the way we did Roode.

The main selling point for me though is the CAW Suite which I was already pretty happy with but the video 2K released last week (I'd embed it if I weren't on my phone right now) has me salivating at the prospect of recreating my 60-70+ strong roster of CAWs that my friends and I have been building since the N64 days. Expect some Quentil-esque Fallout-style posts from me in the near future.

ETA: video link

[Edited on 9/27/2017 by CM Crunk]

nOOb - 9-27-2017 at 01:50 PM

Nope, season pass same price as usual and contains the same extras: Accelerator, Career Mode Kickstarter, Moves Pack, and two character packs containing the listed guys. That's a bit of a letdown (that I'm willing to blame on the Switch), but the roster is solid. Solid enough that, really, barring a ton of legends being added next year or WWE buying TNA and adding that entire roster to this one, I may be good with 2K18 for a while.

Cherokee Jack - 9-27-2017 at 04:17 PM

Yeah this is about as complete a roster as one could realistically hope for. According to one website, the complete list of Raw/SD roster members not included is:

Lana (just debuted as a wrestler over the summer)
Mike And Maria Kanellis (also just debuted over the summer)
Shelton Benjamin (just returned within the last month or so)
James Ellsworth (barely wrestles anyway, more of a valet in his current role)
Singh Brothers (see Ellsworth)

So who/what could possibly be the big additions for next year's game? I guess there's Adam Cole and Fish/O'Reilly on the NXT side and the U.K. Division guys, but who beyond that? The Street Profits? Heavy Machinery?

CM Crunk - 9-27-2017 at 07:16 PM

Yup, looks like it's the standard DLC rollout. I suppose I can justify the price when taking into consideration the 3 day early access to the game. If I were buying the deluxe on or after the wide release it might give me pause, though. But still, it's looking good; Roster is STACKED, CAW looks to have received a nice overhaul, and word is the Career mode is supposed to be more story driven and less grindy. Even if Switch support hindered any further innovation, it's nothing like the past few games and their support of last gen systems.

So long as they aren't planning on including any NBA 2K VC fuckery I'll be happy. Even if I am just primarily using it as a CAW Farm.

Edit: Also, aside from Lana most likely being in as a manager (why wouldn't she be?) I wouldn't be surprised to see Ellsworth available as one. Part of me is also kind of hoping they might have some secret unannounced folks we can unlock via Career/Universe modes. It's also not entirely out of the question for them to have moves, gear and other assorted CAW parts available to make guys like Dunne and Bate since getting them in officially might've been a little too tricky or some of the missing 205 Live guys or the gals from the Mae Young tourney. Last year had a shitload of moves in it from the Cruiserweight Classic, so who knows?

[Edited on 9/27/2017 by CM Crunk]

Flash - 9-28-2017 at 02:04 AM

I miss Hogan and Piper being in the games; I'd love to see them beef up the 80's era guys (maybe a Mr. T, Orndorff, and Cowboy Orton would be nice too) but really... that's almost like looking for a second cherry to put on top of a Sunday that already boasts so many good things... besides; the CAW suite was excellent last year with the ability to scan in faces and other photos... I downloaded some really great CM Punk's and other guys; and they kind of cheat in that they give you some pretty spot on parts for some of the guys listed above... although I still could never find a decent Hogan... the faces were right; but the moustache was always just off.

Anyway; can't wait... although I should, because this game is always one that drops by a crazy price around Thanksgiving.

nOOb - 10-3-2017 at 08:47 PM

Well, under the radar but something that has needed to happen for years now, we're now to the point where we can have eight people in the ring at the same time. This is a pretty big step and a positive one at that. In fact, if I were to think of a change that could push me towards 2K19, that would be it, but, again, they're just stacking 2K18 with lots of good.

CM Crunk - 10-11-2017 at 08:43 PM

I see folks who pre-ordered the Deluxe or Cena 'Nuff edition on BestBuy.com are recieving their hardcopies in the mail today, meanwhile the deluxe pre-order has yet to pre-download on my PS4. This is my first time doing a digital preorder, and it says the pre-download is available on 10/11 but nothings hapoened yet. Am I just getting antsy for no reason?

nOOb - 10-11-2017 at 09:52 PM

Officially, the Deluxe early releases are supposed to occur on the 13th. Unofficially, Amazon and Best Buy are notorious for shipping out preordered items early, and since UPS doesn't really have a "Hold Until" option, they just ship them out whenever. So if you preordered online and had it shipped to your residence, chances are pretty good that you'll get it at least a day early, possibly two days if UPS is solely responsible for the shipment (mine is set to arrive tomorrow because Best Buy uses UPS Mail, which means that if UPS doesn't already have a scheduled delivery in your area the day it arrives at the UPS plant closest to you, they hand it off to the post office to deliver it the next day). I've heard Amazon is even a bit quicker since they have their own shipping plants, so getting an item three-four days before release isn't unheard of.

CM Crunk - 10-12-2017 at 05:35 AM

The pre-download started up at 9pm here in California time, so I can rest a little easier and be ready to play at 9pm tomorrow night. Curious to know if anybody else is going to be getting into the CAW aspect of the game? Since that's my bread and butter I've been working on assets in my spare time to use, but if anyone wants to make any requests for some logos or designs, I might be able to comply and post 'em here.

Flash - 10-13-2017 at 08:05 AM

I got the deluxe DLC, meaning the game became available at midnight... it's taking a while to download (about 44GB... which is oddly smaller I do believe than last years by like 10GB)... I'm only about 15% downloaded thus far, but it has opened up like a beta-test limited version of the game for me basically consisting of a singles matches only, and with only about 7 guys (Styles, Roode, Neville, Orton, and the 3 Shield members).

Few first, albeit limited, impressions...

*Graphics are a bit better... I'd read that they were going to bump this up and they did; it's not like night and day better than last years, but the wrestlers do "pop" a bit, glisten a bit more, and overall the colours look a bit more vibrant... except black... almost a dull muted colour (like the colour black... not doing a good job of explaining what I mean... but it's like Roman's ring attired looks very washed out).

*Digging the soundtrack... they seemed to have ditched the hip-hop crap for a more classic rock sound... albeit one that seems to be covers of the original songs... I've only heard 3 of them so far and they are pretty good.

*Commentary hasn't been downloaded yet, so can't comment on the commentary.

*Can only play the Raw ring set thus far, but it's current... ie no announce tables at ring side, and a little pocket booth for Jojo and the timekeeper.

*Seth uses his new finisher; can't remember what it's called off the top of my head, but it's that pulling knee strike one that transitions into a pin.

*Played as Reigns, and I shit you not he's booed the entire time with only the odd cheer... like 90/10 split. I was fighting Rode.

*From what I've seen online (and by the 7 available talent thus far) surprise surprise, Reigns is the highest ranked wrestler at 95... looks like Lesnar comes in at #2 at 93 (he's also available... I missed him).

I'll try to remember to post more as more of the game gets unlocked... thus far I'd give it like half a letter grade better than last years just from the presentation and soundtrack... nothing revolutionary, but again... haven't played all the features yet.

nOOb - 10-13-2017 at 12:19 PM

The commentary isnít great. Or good. Like, I did an 8 man battle royal and Michael Cole talked about an ad for ďThe TruthĒ (the anti-tobacco one) for every single guy except Samoa Joe. And of the other three matches I did, Corey said the same joke about this match being great if it werenít for Braxton being there. Also they managed to give Rick Rude a generic theme, though they did get the Modelís right.

But 8 man matches actually play well and the game is fairly solid thus far.

Flash - 10-15-2017 at 01:38 AM

Boy you weren't kidding... I did an 8 man custom survivor series match and for every "hot tag" I did the announce team commented about how I missed the tag. I also had a guy from my team get eliminated and he just laid there in the ring for over a minute while the rest of the match went on... he then proceeded to walk through the ring ropes and hover above the ground for a few steps before the game fixed itself... also through the whole match there were constant lags... not so much in the gameplay, but like the camera was just off by a fraction of a second.

They'll definitely need to do a patch, as I've done a few singles matches and they've been a bit off... nowhere near as much as the above, but just a bit with commentary being behind, and frame rate lags.

I'm still playing around with the custom matches feature, but for something they kind of boasted as a selling point it's really just the old match edit feature where you can turn on knockouts, eliminations, and 2/3 falls... I was kind of hoping for a chance to make some 3 stages of hell type matches, but no dice.

Also, maybe it doesn't become available until the 17th when the regular release date kicks in, but none of the DLC stuff is available to me yet... no Kurt Angle, no accelerator, none of the Cena 'nuff stuff.

Roster is damned impressive though.

nOOb - 10-15-2017 at 02:25 AM

You can get the pre-order Deluxe DLC now, you just have to find and manually download each one from either the X-Box or Playstation store (from what I remember, that was the Kickstarter, the Accelerator, the Deluxe Content pack, and the Angle pack). And yeah, they really need a patch soon for a lot of the small, stupid things. Like making it so that every entrance on a Smackdown isn't an advertisement for the Truth (seriously, I thought it was a one-off thing for my eight man match, but I've had maybe one of thirty entrances not have Cole hype their website). Or fixing those stupid "missed the tag" bits you mentioned.

This game has some promise, but I'm not holding out hope some things that need fixing get fixed, because right now there are technical issues with this game that I could see them fixing if only to justify people buying 2K19.

I also had to stop playing for a bit out of anger since they introduced a new, kind of unwanted feature into Universe mode where, if you press the start button, it automatically simulates your entire card and immediately saves.

Flash - 10-15-2017 at 04:09 AM

Ah cool... I hadn't realized you had to go through the normal Xbox store to get the DLC stuff; I was looking in the in game store.

cardscott5 - 10-15-2017 at 04:25 AM

I haven't messed around with it too too much, but the game does seem to play a lot smoother, albeit with lags in some of the bigger matches. Rumbles go so much faster now that 8 people can be in the ring. Also like how you can just get randomly eliminated from the rumble, which feels more right.

The graphics are a ton better. All of the women look like actual people instead of whatever they were last year. It's good to see some new entrances, although the New Day is stuck with their way beyond out of date 2 man entrance.

I think Andre the Giant looks good and realistic in the game for almost the first time ever

Flash - 10-15-2017 at 06:46 AM

So... don't take Kassius Ohno's shirt... just don't do it.

Not a fan of his ring attire and I thought I would give him some new duds... man, what a mess they did of him with no shirt on... like 55 year old man boob sag, with a six pack and love handles....

CamstunPWG187 - 10-16-2017 at 12:41 PM

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1448513

This game is a mess.

Thatís what happens when you donít change the foundation for 14 years and continue to build it around a wonkier and wonkier physics engine.

This is gonna be salty as shit, but really, whoever buys this piece of shit is just contributing to it, and fuck you for supporting Yukeís lack of motivation to ever change the core engine.

Did that sound bad? Because fuck this game.

DKBroiler - 10-16-2017 at 07:03 PM

quote:
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1448513

This game is a mess.

Thatís what happens when you donít change the foundation for 14 years and continue to build it around a wonkier and wonkier physics engine.

This is gonna be salty as shit, but really, whoever buys this piece of shit is just contributing to it, and fuck you for supporting Yukeís lack of motivation to ever change the core engine.

Did that sound bad? Because fuck this game.

Disagree. Iím one of those assholes who buys damn near every major game that comes out. They all are written with shit code and have tons of glitches. In an all day session yesterday I had exactly one glitch (my toon got stuck in a wall).

I know weíre in our wrestling centric echo chamber here but 2kís NBA title has infinitely more glitches. One of them literally stole $50 in virtual currency from me. Similarly every title EA puts out is a shit show, and then itís the same thing with Bethesda, Blizzard and the rest.

All things considered this has been the smoothest launch Iíve seen this year.

So yeah, itís great to be on our high horse but this isnít a WWE issue. Itís an every game issue and so many people only play one or two games a year that few understand how prevalent it is.

DKBroiler - 10-16-2017 at 07:12 PM

I just watched the glitch video. A few things ...

1 - Yes there are glitches.
2 - No, there are not more glitches than other games.

I mean seriously. Google ANY game message board. People say the same shit.

Fuck, I almost forgot. Gamertag is THEDKEXPERIENCE on XBox.

[Edited on 10-16-2017 by DKBroiler]

Flash - 10-17-2017 at 12:28 AM

Eh, the game doesn't launch wide until tomorrow; I would imagine once they have a fuller range of the problems when everything is at fuller capacity they'll do a patch... I think I noticed something online about their servers being down last night for some maintenance, so it looks like they are already working on some stuff.

CamstunPWG187 - 10-17-2017 at 01:36 AM

All this says to me is that once again, theyíre using the exact same core engine for the 14th year Iím a row.

Why canít we get better WWE games?

Flash - 10-17-2017 at 08:45 AM

I think I was reading something about how they did do a tweak to the engine; still the same one, but they did something with it which is why the graphics were bumped up, and they can do 8 man matches now.

EA and 2K definitely get a lot of mileage out of the core programs for their various sports franchises getting by on various tweaks and dropping in the occasional bell or whistle (rarely bells, and whistles at the same time)... most of these games are probably better described as just roster updates year to year for the most part, but at the same time I don't know that they really can get much better...

From what I've seen the most pressing problems are:

*Commentary that either is way off, or can't keep up with the in ring action.
*The odd floating guy, or a guy who will keep walking into a corner or just stand there.
*Some lagging... nothing terrible, but it's a bit worse in the 8 man matches.
*Some long load wait times... I really notice this in the My Player game.

I don't have high hopes for the commentary (long term ongoing problem) or the long load times (probably a combination of the games engine and Xbox one system limitations)- but I would imagine we'll see a patch of some kind that will improve the other issues.

Otherwise it's a pretty good game (IMO)... there's always going to be the wish list of guys that didn't make the cut; but I get that that's a combination of not wanting to pay certain guys for what will likely amount to minimal use, maybe memory limitations, WWE call on certain guys, or just a need to omit certain guys so they can market the next years version as having them in it.... although like I said earlier in the thread last years (or the year before) addition of uploading images was a huge "get" for the title as thanks to some dedicated community creators there are some pretty professional looking CAW's out there... so you can have CM Punk, or Cody, or whomever you want in the game (although the Hogan's still don't look quite right).

CM Crunk - 10-27-2017 at 07:56 AM

I legitimately haven't played AH match yet, but I've been killing a lot of time on days off from work listening to podcasts and spotify while plugging away at creating a MASSIVE roster of original CAWs. Figured I might as well share them somewhere, so I finally tried out that Share Factory app on PS4 to make this video with some turn arounds on who I'm working on right now... See if you can guess some of the celebrity faces I used on some of them haha

[Edited on 10/27/2017 by CM Crunk]

Flash - 10-28-2017 at 01:27 AM

Nice work Crunk; I'm not the best with the CAW's so I appreciate checking out the work of those that can do a good job with it as I get marginally better as I see some of the great ideas out there... I mostly just come up with new outfits for different existing wrestlers, which sometimes makes me feel a bit weird when I realize I just wasted a half hour dressing the Undertaker or someone else, lol.

I know the game has only been out for a bit now, or maybe it's just a testament to how deep this roster is, but I'm genuinely surprised how little CAW community uploads there are... even looking at the number of times certain CAWs have been downloaded and it's not really that high.

I think they must've done something as I've noticed in the last week I've been getting far fewer glitches... the commentary is still terrible, and 8 man matches still lag a bit, but otherwise some of my first few days problems have largely disappeared.