Author: Subject: NHL Playoffs
2HoT
The Immortal One

Posts 4818
Registered 3-23-2002
Location Yermomsbox PA

Mood: Cock-sure

posted on 4-21-2003 at 04:57 AM Edit Post
Maybe so but Cloutier also lead the league in wins for a fair chunk of the season.

ultimatly thats what it comes down to. You can quote all the GGA'a or the save % or the plus/minus you want but when it gets down to brass tax, the only thing that teally matters is wins and the 2 points for getting one.

How many times were the Leafs first over all this season?

How many times did they even come close?

Whats that? None?

Personally I think they were lucky to make it as far as they did. And I also think (biases considered) that the Canucks were unlucky to have done as poorly as they have done.

Who wants soup?

Dwight D. Eisenhower
Fella

Posts 257
Registered 3-8-2003
Location Washington, D.C.

Mood: Broken hearted

posted on 4-21-2003 at 05:21 AM Edit Post
BFG equals dumb.
We're just 18 hours away from a Leaf-free playoffs.
Ike

Bonestein
The Rowdy One

Posts 2712
Registered 7-24-2002

Mood: partypartyparty

posted on 4-21-2003 at 06:18 AM Edit Post
Top 8 out West...Dallas, Detroit, Colorado, Vancouver, St. Louis, Minnesota, Anaheim, Edmonton...

Top 8 in the East...Ottawa, NJ, Tampa, Philly, Toronto, Washington, Boston, NYI...

bfg- I honestly feel that the following teams have had better seasons that Toronto this season, regardless of points-

Dallas, Detroit, Colorado, St. Louis, Minnesota, maybe Anaheim, and then the 4 teams that finished ahead of Toronto in the East (including Tampa). Toronto just wasn't intimidating this season. I don't think teams were thinking "oh shit, we got the Leafs tomorrow night". That is my opinion. Don't need to respond, because since that's my opinion, it's not going to change. Fuckwad.

That's racism man! I love to racism bro!

Dwight D. Eisenhower
Fella

Posts 257
Registered 3-8-2003

posted on 4-21-2003 at 06:59 AM Edit Post
Boner--Vancouver was better than the Buds, too... it's easier to wrack up points in the east where the top 5 teams are so much poorer than the top 5 west.
Ike

Bonestein
The Rowdy One

Posts 2712
Registered 7-24-2002

posted on 4-21-2003 at 07:08 AM Edit Post
oops- I obviously meant to include Vancouver... my bad.

Bonestein
The Rowdy One

Posts 2712
Registered 7-24-2002

posted on 4-21-2003 at 07:58 AM Edit Post
I have to admit, I was rooting for the Lightning. They've been awful for sooooo long, you just have to feel for them. Although, it would be easier to feel for their fans if there were any. That was a really good series though, pretty exciting. The next one won't be pretty for Tampa though I'm afraid.

2HoT
The Immortal One

Posts 4818
Registered 3-23-2002
Location Yermomsbox PA

posted on 4-21-2003 at 08:04 AM Edit Post
No I gotta say I agree with ya there bones. Its kinda like being a reasonably talented heavyweight boxer. Ya get thru a couple of really tough fights but manage to come out on top. Next thing you know you are in the ring with Mike Tyson in his prime. No amount of talent is gonna stop you from being ripped appart.

Who wants soup?

cpdevine1
The Great One

Posts 3305
Registered 10-26-2002
Location nowhere fun

Mood: in utter disbel

posted on 4-21-2003 at 11:36 AM Edit Post
"Maybe so but Cloutier also lead the league in wins for a fair chunk of the season"

Belfour finished with 37 wins, only Brodeur and Lalime were ahead of him. I know Cloutier was injured for a time but he only played 5 fewer games then Belfour and had 4 less wins.

Belfour also had a better win pct, GAA, and far more shutouts. Out of goalies who played more than 50 games, he was fourth in save pct, and first in save .pct over 60 games.

7 teams had more goals for, 8 teams fewer goals against,

So I can quote the percentages and stats all I want, but it's wins that count right? Only 6 teams had more wins, 8 teams had fewer losses, 5 teams more home wins, 6 teams more road wins, 8 teams had more points. (Bones...Tampa bay, Minnesota, and Anaheim are not one of those teams)

Leafs are not the best, I am not saying they are, but to say they are not top 10 is inaccurate to say the least. Seventh or eighth maybe (points not considered here). And to say that teams weren't scared when Toronto came to town, maybe they should have been, because Toronto did have some very impressive streaks, and they beat the West every time they went out there.

My statement about the Oilers was a shot. See the difference between Edmonton and Toronto, if Edmonton makes it into the playoffs, it is a success, If Toronto doesn't get to the finals, they are a failure. Toronto has consistently been into the semis, and anything less then the finals will cost Pat Quinn his job (or one of them). If Edmonton is happy being perennial first round fodder, so be it.

cpdevine1
The Great One

Posts 3305
Registered 10-26-2002
Location nowhere fun

posted on 4-21-2003 at 12:06 PM Edit Post
"Toronto has consistently been into the semis" okay, maybe not the semis, but they always seem to make it out of the first round, and often do make it into the third round.

Anyways, looking to the next round, in the east, Ottawa will be facing the winner of the Leaf/Flyer series, and NJ will be playing Tampa.

I really want the Leafs to come back and win so they can yet again beat Ottawa in the playoffs. It has happened every other time they faced, and Ottawa was the better team then too, so it can happen. If the Flyers go (and they likely will it seems), then I want Ottawa to kick their ass, then go on to the cup.

You see, I want a canadian team to win, I hate New Jersey, and Vancouver isn't giving me much hope.

I also really want Dallas and St Louis to lose, I don't mind Colorado and I don't see Anaheim going all the way, so Colorado and Ottawa in the finals, Ottawa gets the cup.

In a perfect world, the Leafs would get the Cup, but who am I kidding.

bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7945
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

Mood: Stratusfied

posted on 4-21-2003 at 04:14 PM Edit Post
Ike...what is easier to do...win 3 games in a row...or win 2??? Really, I think the Leafs have a good shot and winning the series...

Bones...Tampa was better then the Leafs??? Now not to be rude, but you must be smoking something. Tampa made the playoffs as the East's 3rd seed because the won the easiest division. On top of that, Tampa has no where near the depth of Toronto. The only spot where Tampa has and edge is in goal...and that can change depending on who is feeling it more.

The Leafs are a good team...just because you dislike them doesn't make them a bad team. I dislike Ottawa, but I know they are a good solid team. I'm not a fan of Scott Stevens, but I know he is a good player.

Why don't you guys look at The Leafs like you would any other team???

2HoT
The Immortal One

Posts 4818
Registered 3-23-2002
Location Yermomsbox PA

posted on 4-21-2003 at 04:21 PM Edit Post
Everybody here knows that Belfore is a better goaltender than Cloutier. Cloutier is not really all that good or consistent. When he is on, he can hold his own with any one in the league but he is generally very inconsistient.

As I said before quote all the statistics you want, the only thing that matters is the 2 points.

For the record the 'nucks went into a bit of a nosedive at the end of the season.

Bert and Nazzi both had scoring slumps and Cloutier was comming off injury. Not really the way you want to go into the palyoffs but we are not nocked out yet.

Who wants soup?

2HoT
The Immortal One

Posts 4818
Registered 3-23-2002
Location Yermomsbox PA

posted on 4-21-2003 at 04:27 PM Edit Post
Goalie: we do look at them like every other team. It seems it is you who has the rose colored glasses.

Who wants soup?

Dwight D. Eisenhower
Fella

Posts 257
Registered 3-8-2003

posted on 4-21-2003 at 05:56 PM Edit Post
Not to mention that it is much easier to get a win against an eastern conference team than a western conference team.
Toronto could win two in a row, but they seem like they're in disarray.
It's difficult to compare Cloutier to Belfour because of the difference in experience and age. Belfour has a star-studded resume, but who knows? Cloutier could be the same at that point in his career. I think a far more interesting comparison is Cloutier-Luongo and Belfour-Brodeur.
Ike

angstboy
cornerkicked.com

Posts 4930
Registered 12-11-2002
Location Baltimore, MD

Mood:

posted on 4-22-2003 at 01:55 AM Edit Post
I'm glad to see that the Bolts/Caps series is finally getting some props on this board. It was a really good series especially if you're a Tampa fan. Khabibulin and St. Louis really stepped up and slapped a hurting on the Caps in those last few games. Unfortunately, I'm a Capitals fan (hey, I'm from Baltimore, whaddya want me to do... root for fucking Philly?) so watching that 3rd period of OT end the way it did was so frustrating.

Being a Caps fan, I really have to say, much like BFG's Leafs, without our goalie we'd be totally fucked. That game yesterday was a goaltender's duel and a half. The problem is that all of the talent that the Capitals have on their forward lines can't seem to get on the same page. With guys like Bondra, Jagr, Lang, Zubrus, Berezin, Nylander they should be scoring 2-3 goals per game EASILY. Tampa shut us down. The Caps played with the attitude "it should be easier than this." The Bolts were thinking
"we're gonna win" and the Caps were thinking "why aren't we winning." That's not the way you win big games.

Good job Tampa. I hope that little fucker St. Louis gets broken in half.

bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7945
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

posted on 4-22-2003 at 06:25 AM Edit Post
Quote of the night by Bob McKenzie "As far as the Maple Leafs are concerned, I said it all last year, and I'll say it again. They are vampires. You've got to get a stake right through their collective hearts. The Flyers didn't do that and, now, it's anybody's series. "

Seriously, it's amazing how different this game was a The Leafs played much better...

And what is up with TO??? Both Wesley and Antropov suffer broken feet...and return in damn near record time...

cpdevine1
The Great One

Posts 3305
Registered 10-26-2002
Location nowhere fun

posted on 4-22-2003 at 12:59 PM Edit Post
Listen closely, maybe you can hear it...yep...it's the heart of the Maple Leafs, it is beating again.

What a great game last night.

remember a few posts back when I said the Leafs can win, but they need %100 turnaround form the rest of the series? Last night they had about %98 percent turnaround, and for once they outplayed the Flyers. They played SOOO much better in all the ways they weren't before (see excuses post)

Hoackey is a game of momentum and attitude, and last night was the shot in the arm the Leafs needed. They could very well lose tonight, but they can also very likely win. It's anyones game now.

(just no more double or triple overtimes, my heart can't take it)

And I have to ask, what the hell was with that penalty shot, couldn't have given him an easier save, Cech didn't even move.

angstboy
cornerkicked.com

Posts 4930
Registered 12-11-2002
Location Baltimore, MD

Mood:

posted on 4-22-2003 at 04:40 PM Edit Post
No kidding! That penalty shot was one of the weakest things I'd ever seen. I'm big into goaltending, so when there's a penalty shot I love to see the fancy lads get stuffed by a good read from the net minder. But that shot last night was one of the most anti-climactic things I'd ever seen. He wasn't even near the 5 hole, if that's what he was shooting for. It was like dead center. Just weird.

2HoT
The Immortal One

Posts 4818
Registered 3-23-2002
Location Yermomsbox PA

posted on 4-23-2003 at 01:44 AM Edit Post
Hmm... 5 - 1 for the Flyers at the end of the 2nd period.

Anyone think its too early to call time of death on the Leafs season?

Who wants soup?

angstboy
cornerkicked.com

Posts 4930
Registered 12-11-2002
Location Baltimore, MD

Mood:

posted on 4-23-2003 at 02:30 AM Edit Post
Not now it's not. 6-1, yikes.

Sorry BFG. At least my Capitals kept it close when they got killed.

bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7945
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

posted on 4-23-2003 at 02:44 AM Edit Post
Toronto played like crap tonight and for all intense and purposes did not show up.

Congrats to the Flyers for being the first team to prove me wrong with my predictions, and for having a very solid game plan of running Belfour and getting under the Leafs skin.

On complaint about tonight's game, how did Williams not get tossed??? If that wasn't intent to injure then I don't know what is...

Once again, congrat to the Flyers on winning the season. And congrats to the Leafs for another exciting season.

Dwight D. Eisenhower
Fella

Posts 257
Registered 3-8-2003

posted on 4-23-2003 at 02:47 AM Edit Post
All that talk about Toronto's heart on this thread and it turns out they didn't have any...
How can you not show for Game Seven?
Good riddance, Buds.

Ike

bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7945
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

posted on 4-23-2003 at 03:01 AM Edit Post
you think the Leafs don't have heart??? Have long have you watched this team??? They didn't show up with their A game and Philly took advantage of it...

But if you watched the game you saw Belfour get frustrated with his defensemen, and with getting his crease crashed...he wanted to win, and was willing to fight. You saw Nolan try to match Premeau hit for hit, you saw guys with exhausted faces...but they still trioed to get something going...

Philly just never let that happen. Toronto played most of the series in a funk...Philly finally jumped on them.

The Leafs got their asses handed to them in more ways then one, I won't argue that...but to say they have no heart seems wrong...even in the last part of the third they were trying...they just had nothing left...

metallikid
The Immortal One

Posts 4898
Registered 12-17-2002
Location Orlando, Florida

Mood: Super

posted on 4-23-2003 at 03:10 AM Edit Post
I think everybody here over rated Toronto or under rated the Flyers. The Flyers scare me. I think they have a great chance to win the East.

It's Great to be a Florida Gator!

2HoT
The Immortal One

Posts 4818
Registered 3-23-2002
Location Yermomsbox PA

posted on 4-23-2003 at 05:14 AM Edit Post
If you are watching Game & between the Canucks and Blues right now, you are bearing witness to the team I have been bragging about all year. The team has played well enough to not get eliminated untill now. Now, like the Orcas that emblazon their jerseys, they are going for the kill!!! They are playing like I knew they could.

Its a great day to be a 'Nucks fan!!

Who wants soup?

2HoT
The Immortal One

Posts 4818
Registered 3-23-2002
Location Yermomsbox PA

posted on 4-23-2003 at 06:15 AM Edit Post
'NUCKS WIN!!!!!!!! 'NUCKS WIN!!!!!!!!!

OH MY GAWD, 'NUCKS WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and the Wild win too?!? what a strange playoffs this has been in the West especially.

Who wants soup?

<<  2    3    4    5    6  >>
New Topic New Poll

go to top