Board logo

best movie of 2001
odessasteps - 1-3-2002 at 09:58 PM

What was the Best Movie of 2001?

olfuzzybastard - 1-3-2002 at 10:03 PM

Dude, no "Shrek"? Kids movie or not, that thing was brilliant. It had that timeless "Princess Bride" feel to it. Oh well, "Memento" was still better than it anyway...

Ripner - 1-3-2002 at 11:23 PM

I personally loved A.I. and don't understand the bashing it always gets. That, LOTR or Shrek would be my favorite.

Cuthbert - 1-3-2002 at 11:27 PM

The best movie of 2001 is Battle Royale, which actually has nothing to do with wrestling. It is just a coincidence, considering this site. It is a Japanese film, with a very non-japanese feel to it. Was only screened in parts of the U.S., but will probably never be released in theaters due to its violence and subject matter. Basically, think of Lord Of The Flies, but violent and with cannibalism. But don't let my description mislead you, its really an amazing movie, from the script all the way down to the acting.

No other movie this year even came close to it. Especially not Fellowship Of The Rings. Not a good movie. But considering the book it was based on, it was expected.

GenecentMan - 1-4-2002 at 12:07 AM

Moulin Rouge comes a close second to FotR, I must say. The movie was just amazing.

Mox - 1-4-2002 at 12:14 AM

I've gotta give the nod to "Shrek" on this one. I watched that movie 5 times in the theater, and loved it everytime I saw it! I'm just happy my girlfriend has the DVD, so when I go over there and she's gotta go to work, I've got me something to do!

My second pick would have to be Lotr: Fotr. I'll admit, at first while watching that movie I wasn't sure I liked it, but it was around the time that I had to go to the bathroom (really, REALLY badly) that I realized just how amazing that movie is, and how little I wanted to leave for the minute that it'd take me to get to the bathroom and back. An absolutly AWESOME movie, but I think I enjoyed Shrek more.

olfuzzybastard - 1-4-2002 at 03:59 AM

You didn't like the "Lord of the Rings" books and you're a "Dark Tower" fan?? (I'm assuming from the name. Watch it just be a coincidence and I look like an ass...) Not taking anything away from the Dark Tower books - they're probably the best thing Stephen King's ever written, but they owe *so much* to LOTR...

fingercuffs - 1-4-2002 at 04:09 AM

IMHO, Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back was the best movie of 2001. Hands down.

Jurassic Park 3 actually had some cool new bad-ass dinosaurs.

Kneecaps - 1-4-2002 at 04:26 AM

I gotta go with Memento. Simply because, out of that list, I've only seen that and LOTR. While Memento kicked ass, LOTR simply SUCKED ass. Luckily, I didn't pay to see it, or I'd be pretty mad about wasting my money.

toenut - 1-4-2002 at 08:02 AM

I'm very jealous of Cuthbert. I really want to see that movie.

Thor - 1-4-2002 at 04:36 PM

I'd have to say LotR is the best, but it only edges out Memento by a narrow margin. That movie gave me a whole new appreciation of Polariod cameras, and the website (www.otnemem.com, or even the common misspelling www.otnemom.com) perfectly serves to add to the mystique of the film.

On the other hand, LotR had little men with fuzzy feet.

Mox - 1-4-2002 at 05:04 PM

And really, what more could you want in a movie then little men with fuzzy feet? LOL! I still say Shrek is the best, but Lotr: Fotr is a definate close second...

Cuthbert - 1-4-2002 at 05:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by olfuzzybastard
You didn't like the "Lord of the Rings" books and you're a "Dark Tower" fan?? (I'm assuming from the name. Watch it just be a coincidence and I look like an ass...) Not taking anything away from the Dark Tower books - they're probably the best thing Stephen King's ever written, but they owe *so much* to LOTR...

You are correct.

My major problems with LOTR is coincidently something that King is accused of often, which is that the books are stretched out way too much, with a lot of filler that could have been better used as birdcage liner. Here is the plot for all three books (and the FOTR movie, after the intial half hour): fight, escape/win, walk, fight, escape/win, walk, fi... you get the idea. And I got the idea within the first 100 pages of the book. The only variety that is thrown in is during the walking when they try to add some coy dialogue or a story from the past, when a character had to "walk, fight, escape/win, walk..".

To me, maybe because it is going to be divided into 7 books, the pacing of The Dark Towers is much better, and the characters are ones I care about more. The fighting in the book is not overwhelming and the walking doesn't seem to be only to get from fight to fight.

So, while FOTR was a decent enough movie to watch, and to be honest, I was really excited about it when I followed the making of it (www.aintitcool.com has had some great coverage of it for the past 2 years), I thought that it would be great, since they would have to cut out all the garbage in the books that I felt dragged on. But, then it ended up having a running time of 2hrs and 58minutes and my fears were met: they didn't cut out enough of the books. But, at lesat they looked gorgeous.

So, in the end, I DEFINITELY prefer the Dark Tower series to LOTR. It all comes down to pacing.

DennisIsEvil - 1-4-2002 at 08:28 PM

WHAT!!! No Hannibal. That movie was awesome. Julianne Moore was hot and it had plenty of awesome killin'. Who gives a rat's ass about Lord of The Rings. Hannibal's up there with greats like Reservoir Dogs,Full Metal Jacket, The Good The bad and The Ugly and The Dirty Dozen. All LOTR is associated with is some retarded comic book or something.

TwistofFate - 1-4-2002 at 10:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Kneecaps
I gotta go with Memento. Simply because, out of that list, I've only seen that and LOTR. While Memento kicked ass, LOTR simply SUCKED ass. Luckily, I didn't pay to see it, or I'd be pretty mad about wasting my money.

Memento was actually released in 2000, not 2001 so it can't be a part of the best movies of 2001.

odessasteps - 1-4-2002 at 11:04 PM

Yes, I should have put Shrek on there. I was on my top ten list. That's what happens when you do things off the top of your head.

Momento may have been made in 2000, but it was released in 2001. Personally, I'm to the point of making lists on when I see them, not when they are released. It might not be until February when I get to see Gosford Park and it's a 2001 movie, technically.

TwistofFate - 1-5-2002 at 12:30 AM

quote:
Originally posted by DennisIsEvil
WHAT!!! No Hannibal. That movie was awesome. Julianne Moore was hot and it had plenty of awesome killin'. Who gives a rat's ass about Lord of The Rings. Hannibal's up there with greats like Reservoir Dogs,Full Metal Jacket, The Good The bad and The Ugly and The Dirty Dozen. All LOTR is associated with is some retarded comic book or something.

I think we have our first putz of the week award.

I don't even want to break down what this... person said, but I want to quote one part if I may...
quote:

All LOTR is associated with is some retarded comic book or something.

What? First you are wrong on the entire substrata of lit, but you call it retarded? LOTR is one of the classics of lit, Hannibal is a second rate sequal written by a writer who was past his prime in 1989. Tomas Harris vs. J.R.R. Tolkein? Gimme a break.

DennisIsEvil - 1-5-2002 at 02:14 AM

Like I give a flying fuck what you think, Fuck J.R.R. Tolkein and everybody that looks like him.

CaseyDiabloShotJimRoss - 1-5-2002 at 02:33 AM

First of all you're rooting for two punchdrunk butt poking wrestlers and bagging on movies like Hannibal? Instead of watching movies like Hannibal you'd spend your money to watch a movie geared for childen? LOTRs su-cks big hairy monkey balls. Next thing ya know Twist will be bagin on Full Metal Jacket so that tey can say how much they liked the Lion King

TwistofFate - 1-5-2002 at 06:25 AM

quote:
Originally posted by CaseyDiabloShotJimRoss
First of all you're rooting for two punchdrunk butt poking wrestlers and bagging on movies like Hannibal? Instead of watching movies like Hannibal you'd spend your money to watch a movie geared for childen? LOTRs su-cks big hairy monkey balls. Next thing ya know Twist will be bagin on Full Metal Jacket so that tey can say how much they liked the Lion King

Full Metal Jacket and Lion King are both very good movies, for very different reasons.

LOTR is a good movie for different reasons than either of the above two.

Hannibal is a poorly done, Hitchcock-wannabe movie that tries to be scary, but yet in the end everything happens that you guessed would happen during the first 20 minutes of the movie.

(plus if you don't belive me, how about a cite: Hannibal 6.4 ; LOTR 9.2)

Cuthbert - 1-5-2002 at 06:53 AM

quote:
Originally posted by CaseyDiabloShotJimRoss

This was funny to read.

LOTR was not geared towards children, and it is pretty sad actually to think that someone might not know where the storyline comes from. Even people who don't like the movie or books at least know what they are.

Hannibal was a great book in my opinion (definately not a second rate sequel by someone who peaked in 1989), but only an OK movie. They pushed the violence too much, when it wasn't needed, and they changed the ending, with a very pathetic ending in the movie. but LOTR was the opposite. It was just O.K. books made into better then O.K. movies (when compared to each other).

As for Full Metal Jacket, it was a Kubrick film, so it wasn't that great. He is a horrible filmmaker (watch Dr. Strangelove for an example of one of the worse movies ever). So, it ended up with 1/2 really good movie (in the boot camp) and 1/2 waste of time (the whole war section). Full Metal Jacket can never be considered a classic or a great movie.

Kneecaps - 1-5-2002 at 08:22 AM

quote:
Originally posted by TwistofFate
quote:
Originally posted by Kneecaps

Memento was actually released in 2000, not 2001 so it can't be a part of the best movies of 2001.

Shhh, no one was supposed to notice that

General_Failure - 1-6-2002 at 10:24 AM

Shrek was hilarious. Mind you, I haven't seen most of this year's big movies (A Beautiful Mind, LOTR, Ali et al) but Shrek not only surprised me (I had low expectations going in) but it really was an excellently written movie. The DVD and it's extras (did the karaoke segment follow the credits in theaters?) make it that much better.

Shrek definitely should have been on there.

Shastar - 1-8-2002 at 01:36 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Cuthbert
The best movie of 2001 is Battle Royale, which actually has nothing to do with wrestling. It is just a coincidence, considering this site. It is a Japanese film, with a very non-japanese feel to it. Was only screened in parts of the U.S., but will probably never be released in theaters due to its violence and subject matter. Basically, think of Lord Of The Flies, but violent and with cannibalism. But don't let my description mislead you, its really an amazing movie, from the script all the way down to the acting.

No other movie this year even came close to it. Especially not Fellowship Of The Rings. Not a good movie. But considering the book it was based on, it was expected.

*watches his copy again*

Umm, Where was there any cannabalism in Battle Royale?

But small points aside, Battle Royale was an incredible movie. The Lighthouse sequence replayed in my nightmares for weeks. If you have the means (I know that you can get a VCD of it off Ebay fairly cheap) go get this movie, it will be the best purchase you have made in years (or at least the last 3 days^_^)

Dan

edytwinky - 1-8-2002 at 07:14 AM

For those that haven't seen Ocean's Eleven. It's a must see!

Cobra - 1-8-2002 at 10:52 PM

Lord of the Rings gets my vote.

Although I heard that Momento is awesome, but I haven't seen it yet.

scottiecool - 1-10-2002 at 07:07 PM

Have to go with American Pie 2. I thought it was better than the original and I loved that one.

Didn't like LOTR at all.

Chris Is Good517 - 1-11-2002 at 05:48 PM

When you look back on it, 2001 was a pretty crusty year for movies anyway... about the only jaw-dropping movie I saw all year was Shrek. I didn't like LotR at all... I think Elijah Wood is a stiff, wooden actor, and I thought that about an hour and a half could've been cut out of that movie and the point still would've gotten across. Sure, the scenery was nice, but I can go hiking and see pretty trees. The high point of LotR for me was seeing the agent from the Matrix playing the leader of the Elves or whatever he was supposed to be in that movie. I also thought Hannibal was way overhyped, and like LotR, it was overlong, boring tripe. I haven't seen Memento or Battle Royale yet, but I've heard good things about both. And I thought Shallow Hal was one of the better comedies of 2001.
Here's hoping that 2002 will be a better year for movies than the last...

USMarshal - 1-11-2002 at 09:44 PM

I felt that Memento and Moulin Rouge were the two best movies of the year. I am wholly sick of blow-em up action types and paint by the numbers comedies. Moulin Rouge was something a little different and the music that was bastardized wasn't half bad and fit the mood. The sets and color were fantastic and were enough to keep me involved in the parts of the movie that would have normally lost me. Memento was simply a great piece of story telling. With an ending that wasn't advertised from miles away and plot twists that within the context of the story were not outlandish nor foolish. Heartily recommmended. Honorable mention to Shrek for making me laugh out loud at the "not just for kids" animated flick. Huge Giant Hot poker up the ass to Universal for one really god awful sequel in JP:3. Just garbage. I guess they needed Spielberg to direct after all.

CaseyDiabloShotJimRoss - 1-24-2002 at 07:03 PM

In Retailiation of Twisty's bitching I can only reply by saying, that you meaningless stat means as much to me as your half assed opinion. All that 9.2 means is that there are more butt-poking nerds like you out there watching LOTR. Let me assume that as soon as a new Willow movie breaks you you and your ass grabbing buddies will go watch it.

Jacklove - 2-1-2002 at 03:43 PM

Best was LOR but Black Hawk Down comes a close second. It is the most intense war movie ever made and that is saying something.

As far as the LOR and Dark Towers discussion the Dark Towers series owes a debt of gratitude to LOR as does just about every fantasy ever written after LOR. Including RPG's. Besides Dark Tower fans tell me you weren't thinking about Jake in The Gunslinger when Gandolf fell to his death in LOR.

P.S. My favorite King book is It. The best thing he's ever written is probably the Stand. His scariest book is Pet Semetary.

Ankle Lock - 2-4-2002 at 12:06 AM

LOTR - The Fellowship of the Ring

Hands down it gets my vote. It's an absolute cracker

NoneSoVile - 2-6-2002 at 06:59 PM

Lord of the Rings was an amazing movie. People like to bash it because all they want to see these days is a guy eating food w/ his brain exposed. Its such an intricate story that people just don't have the brain capacity to appreciate anymore. I read the books for the first time when I was 21 and was ashamed I didn't read them earlier because they are great.

Hannibal was a good movie but was kind of a let down.

The Skrek karokee thing is hilarious... my 3 yr old niece watches it on DVD over and over and sings along to it. Great kids movie.

mallrat - 2-8-2002 at 04:46 PM

Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back gets my vote, Battle Royale was an awsome movie though, if you want to see it for free just grab a prog like Direct Connect and join a room, there should be a copy of it on a few people.