Board logo

Austin's face
olfuzzybastard - 5-27-2003 at 02:35 AM

Jeebus, what the hell happened?!

mallrat - 5-27-2003 at 04:08 AM

This demands a WHO BEAT AUSTIN? thread.

I'm guessing it involved beer.

Timmy - 5-27-2003 at 02:17 PM

Money Inc attacked him before the show.........oh GOD! Wrestlemania 9 flashbacks - where is my toga.....

Slade - 5-27-2003 at 04:25 PM

I know what happened to him, because I'm an attentive WWE fan. Thus I pay attention to the show when I'm watching it. I don't just stare at his injured eye. So what happened? Well, if you were listening, you would know that Austin was singing in the shower when he slipped on a bar of soap, thus causing him to smash his face on something.

SuperRob - 5-27-2003 at 05:08 PM

You know, I'm pretty disgusted with Austin. His parole forcing him to not drink beer was probably one of the best things that could have happened to him. Many of his interpersonal problems are likely directly related to his alcohol intake.

Not only did he start drinking again the MINUTE he found out he could, but the WWE is CELEBRATING it. They are helping the man self destruct.

Could it be coincidence that after his first two weeks "off the wagon", he's sporting a hell of a shiner? He probably got into a fight, and probably "alcohol fueled" too.

How sad.

And if you buy the "bar or soap" story, you're a fool.

Slade - 5-27-2003 at 05:14 PM

I completely agree with you, Rob. When I saw that shiner, I was thinking, "could this be because he's a drunk?" And I too thought it was a bad idea to have him parade out to the ring in Halifax and have a beer bash immediately following the end of his parole terms. If he was clean for several months, you'd think he'd have the sense to stay clean. Does the man not have any will power? How weak can you be? Just as you said, Rob, how sad. How sad, indeed.

Eli - 5-27-2003 at 05:38 PM

You guys should get off your high horses. Preachy bastards.

Denethor - 5-27-2003 at 05:53 PM

Intolerant people should be beaten.

salmonjunkie - 5-27-2003 at 06:05 PM

Shit, I'd be drinking too.

BTW, wasn't Lillian Garcia dripping with beer last night the best?

BoerboelLVR - 5-27-2003 at 06:20 PM

"BTW, wasn't Lillian Garcia dripping with beer last night the best?"

YES!!! You all can say what you want about Austin drinking, but any segment that includes both beer drinking and Lillian Garcia getting wet is some damn fine entertainment in my book.

angstboy - 5-27-2003 at 06:26 PM

A friend of mine and I have a saying: "Goddammit Lillian!" Last night was a multiple Goddammit Lilian evening... she's being too hot.

Oh and as far as the Austin black eye thing goes... the "fell on some soap" thing was obviously a joke. Who knows how he got the shiner, really. He coulda been working on something in the yard and bumped his face, or he coulda been playing with retarded kids at the park and smacked his head on the monkey bars. The point is no one knows. He could've gotten into a drunken brawl, sure, but it's none of our business, really. High horses indeed. To assume that his drinking has something to do with it is pure uninformed speculation. Besides, I don't think spilling 87 ounces on your t-shirt and getting maybe 3 ounces in your mouth can be considered a "drinking problem." Unless of course your name is Ted Striker.

fsolomon75 - 5-27-2003 at 07:11 PM

angstboy- Great Airplane reference...I'm still chuckling. Nice work Shirley.

phansett - 5-27-2003 at 07:45 PM

auto accident.

Denethor - 5-27-2003 at 09:00 PM

car accident? I for one am shocked and disgusted. shame on you, steve.

cpdevine1 - 5-27-2003 at 09:22 PM

You know, nobody knows how much he really drinks. He may only have one drink or something after the show. How much does he really drink when he is on the show? Not very much, most of it spills all over him and on the mat. He probably drinks the equivalant of 2 gulps of beer, while wasting 8+ cans. So now he can't even act like he is drinking? Give me a break.

Dr. Pivo - 5-27-2003 at 09:22 PM

quote:
BTW, wasn't Lillian Garcia dripping with beer last night the best?

I almost had sex with my wife after watching that.

MysteriousDr.X - 5-27-2003 at 09:26 PM

I almost had sex with your wife after watching that, too.

Get off Austin's back. "Self-destruct" shmelf-deshmuct! He's free and of age. What he does in his spare time, as long as he isn't hurting people, is his business. And if the Fed has no problem with his drinking on the job (which, as has been noted, he hardly even really is), neither should you. Relax. Or at least find a more worthwile cause.

Pistol Pez - 5-27-2003 at 09:37 PM

he's free and of age, but that doesn't mean he's necessarily acting responsibly, or that we can decide that and discuss it.

But, I have to agree that nobody here knows how much steve drinks, and speculation without knowledge is wrong.

as for intolerant people . . . nobody is tolerant. we all just have different buttons.

Laner - 5-27-2003 at 09:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Pistol Pez
nobody is tolerant. we all just have different buttons.

Word life.

Denethor - 5-27-2003 at 10:11 PM

well said, pez.

Eli - 5-27-2003 at 10:28 PM

Yea, I have my butttons, and one of them is when people get down on spirits. Don't sweat the boozin and no one gets hurt!

bigfatgoalie - 5-27-2003 at 11:17 PM

Damn those ninjas!!!!

Dr. Pivo - 5-28-2003 at 01:52 PM

quote:
What did you do, get her all hot and excited, then start to try to have sex and I don't know miss?

No. Once I go to all that trouble I usually don't miss.

I did, however, almost find my own self excited enough to get my lazy ass off the couch to have three more beers so that I would be drunk enough to want to have sex with her. Instead, I figured my time would be better spent dozing off, and then falling completely asleep.

Eli - 5-28-2003 at 09:45 PM

quote:
I did, however, almost find my own self excited enough to get my lazy ass off the couch to have three more beers so that I would be drunk enough to want to have sex with her. Instead, I figured my time would be better spent dozing off, and then falling completely asleep.

That's fucking funny!

SuperRob - 5-28-2003 at 10:36 PM

Would all of you be telling me to get off my high-horse if he were shooting up in the ring? Would you be telling me to get off my high horse if he were smoking crack in the ring?

Yes, it's not entirely an apples to apples comparison, but just because it's legal doesn't make it any more fun for me to watch a man self-destructing. His relationships with his ex-wives were largely destroyed by his drinking, and the way he acts when he's been drinking. Why do you think that part of his parole agreement was that he had to STOP DRINKING?

Much of my disappointment is that I used to be a huge fan of Austin, and I thought that with his recent personal issues, he might have a chance to turn the corner and realize what his drinking does to him and those close to him. The fact that he had a giant WWE-sponsored beer bash in the middle of the ring as soon as he found out he was allowed to drink again just disgusts me. It's a wasted opportunity, but it's the fact that the WWE is ENDORSING it, even going as far as to print a story on their website about it ... considering how active the WWE has been in trying to get wrestlers the help they need when they become addicted to drugs or pain killers, why are they HELPING Austin kill himself?

Hell, they fired Scott Hall, and most of his problem was DRINKING.

I'm sure I'll get flamed right the hell out of here again, but I'll leave you with this. We've had a lot of deaths in wrestling lately. Many of them drug related. If Austin were to get in a car accident, and killed himself or someone else ... who's mind isn't immediately going to wonder if Austin was drunk at the time?

MysteriousDr.X - 5-28-2003 at 10:40 PM

A whole lot of people who go on parole have to stop drinking. It just goes with parole much of the time.
And to say that shooting smack in the ring is the same as spitting out 7/8 of a can of beer is "not quite apples to apples" is a bit of an understatement. I'd call that sort of an "apples to battleships" comparison, myself.
Lighten up, man. It's a freakin' character. Do you want to stage an intervention for Ewan McGregor because he played such an effective junkie in "Trainspotting"? It's ACTING.

AnglesGoldMedals - 5-28-2003 at 11:20 PM

Austin's a face? He has been for ages... Oh, I see... Somethings happened to his face. Alright then.

I dunno, perhaps he got into a fight with 9 marines in Syracuse?
Or maybe Bischoff kicked his ass when he was drunk last week?

Who cares?

nilesanderson - 5-29-2003 at 01:16 AM

Beer drinking has gone along with the Steve Austin character forever. Like many have said, it's acting. Really, there is no way that anyone outside of Austin himself can tell if he has private beer bashes at home. A WWE sponsered beer bash on TV is meant for entertainment purposes. Chances are, seeing how Scott Hall got fired, if they saw that Austin was actually drinking again and developing many of the same problems as before, they would do something about it. We can't be judgemental of a person because of what his CHARACTER does on screen. Anyways, we'll find out soon enough if he is self-destructing anyway.
As for the shiner, is it possible that did a makeup job for that? Just a theory, not necessarily what I believe, but we all know Austin has been doing some, how shall I put it, fun promos in the past, maybe he thought creating a shiner for the sake of a joke in a promo was a good idea. Or maybe it is real and from a drunken brawl. Who knows.

madiq - 5-29-2003 at 07:39 AM

I'm gonna have to get SuperRob's back on this one...

I think you guys are playing straw man with his argument. The point is that Austin was on Probation for Domestic Battery, an offense that may or may not have been related to drinking. Austin has (according to rumor and conjecture) been distraught at the fact that his wrestling career is over. Austin has, in fact, been drunk on screen, which lends itself to the hypothesis that he may have a problem. It may be a part of his character, but don't you think that the WWE should be a little more sensitive to his problem by toning down the drinking associated with said character? I do.

Listen...I am a Scott Hall fan, but I understood it when the WWE had to let him go, because sometimes a job should be prioritized lower than health and psychological well-being. While "Drunk Scott Hall" was more entertaining than "Scott Hall with the bandanna," the WWE did not write entire segments that revolved around celebration of imbibing alcohol.

While I may not be offended, I do acknowledge that there may be a potential problem brewing...

Norm - 5-29-2003 at 07:43 AM

I'm going to go into ass clown mode for a second and say Scott Hall's firing was a conspiracy because Hogan is a legend, so you couldn't really let him take the fall. Nash is the no-talent a$$ kisser and Hall was the talented one that Austin refused to job for and so bye-bye Razor.

Of course when I say this, I know I'm joking.

Slade - 5-29-2003 at 04:10 PM

Whether or not Austin's shiner was the result of him drinking is neither here nor there. I'm not saying that it was, but the thought did cross my mind.

What I was saying 30 posts ago was that it is sad that he's on the booze again. He ought to have used the opportunity presented to him by his parole officers to kick the habit for good. But he hasn't. He's drinking again. How much he drinks off camera, we don't know. But one can only assume that if he's willing to do it on camera, he's doing it much more off camera. Sure, he wasted more beer than he drinks when he's in the arena on camera, but he does drink enough to go loopy. For instance, during the beer bash at RAW in Halifax, I was told by friends who went to the show that after the cameras stopped rolling he went through a lot of beer and was visibly drunk by the time the whole affair ended.

What makes this a sad thing is that he's gone back to consuming a substance that has no doubt caused him harm in the past, and has the potential to cause him harm in the future. While it never do so, the potential does exist, and the wise move would be to ensure that you do not put yourself at risk of harm. If you do not know that you can drink responsibly and haven't done so in the past, you will be putting yourself at risk of harm. That is a bad thing.

Sure, Rob's comparisons appear unreasonable - afterall, he is comparing beer to heroin. However, I don't find them unreasonable. But for those of you who do, I would rather state that Austin's actions as just as sad as a woman who returns to cigarette smoking following a pregnancy. Some women quit smoking while they're pregnant, but after the child has popped out, they're back at it again. That's sad. If you've gone 8 months without smoking, why can't you keep going? Why can't you refrain some doing something that will most likely cause you health and other problems. It's sad.

Maybe you think that I'm being too 'Mormon' on this one, but I don't think so. I'm merely telling you how I see it. When you sit down and give the idea of beginning to drink alcohol again an evaluation it loses. It is the wrong decision to make. If you calculate the expected utility by weighing the pros and cons of drinking alcohol, the wise decision is to refrain from drinking alcohol. To choose to do the unwise, or wrong, thing to do is sad.

eViL - 5-29-2003 at 05:24 PM

Damn, let people live their lives. Austin's drinking has not directly affected any of you. Stop trying to apply your narrow-minded morals to everybody else. Stop and realize that all you're doing is making presumptions. Stop pretending like you really care about this guys health so that you can justify sitting on your high horse and judging his actions.

Blown Spot - 5-29-2003 at 07:19 PM

You will have had to experienced alcoholism up close, either through personal struggle or family or friend/aquaintance, to understand why some would conclude as Rob has in this thread. No one here is sitting on a "high-horse" or inflicting "narrow-minded" morals on anyone. To dismiss Rob's and others concerns simply because you "feel" like you're being preached at, is dumb.

Now having stated that, there is a more practical reason to discount the alcohol issue as it relates to Steve Austin. The problem with Rob's and others statments is that they are based on what we presume are the facts, of what little, we think we know, of Austin's personal life and what is essentially, a "character" created for the WWE. It is not much of a stretch, to conclude, that what we see of Austin onscreen, contributes to the problem, of the disease called alcoholism. It IS a stretch however, to conclude that, based on a gimmick or second hand info from the web.

I understand what you were trying to say though Rob. Presuming Austin has a drinking problem, I trust that, if the beer-bashing and alcohol inspired themes were an issue then he and the "E" would come to some sort of agreement that would not allow those themes to enable his behavior. Obviously, Scott Hall's drinking was an issue. Steve's, apparently is not.

Though I don't know why Scott Hall was fired. It might have had little to do with his drinking.

eViL - 5-29-2003 at 07:45 PM

No disrespect to anyone that has experienced alcoholism up close, but that experience does not make you expert enough to diagnose Austin as an alcoholic by merely watching him on TV or reading about him on the internet. Therefore all the preachy shit in this thread is preachy shit and nothing else. There is no genuine concern there. If anything, you guys are itching to hate on him and all it took was a black eye for the bashing to begin.

Slade - 5-29-2003 at 08:33 PM

I'm not itching to hate Austin. At the present time I find his character fun and enjoyable to watch. His interactions with Bischoff are usually pretty good. I have no reason to hate Steve Austin. I also realize that not knowing the man personally, I can't do anything to help him, even if I wanted to, but to say that I'm pretending to show concern for his health is retarded, eVil.

Unfortunately, my parents taught me to show concern for all people, even if I don't really like them. It is something that I do. Since we're talking about wrestling and wrestlers, I would apply this attitude to all wrestlers. If people are taking 15 kinds of steroids, I would rather they stop it. If they're addicted to pain killers, I'd like them to stop, get off the road and rehab naturally. If somebody has a drinking problem, I'd like to see them stop. If a certain style of wrestling or certain wrestling moves are going to be detrimental to your health and will shorten your career dramatically, I'd rather see those things virtually eliminated from the product. I'd like to see wrestlers make the right decisions for the good of their own health, sanity, longevity in the sport, etc.

I haven't adopted this attitude to make myself feel superior to other people, or to be some kind of a religious zealot, or for any other reason other than that I have a genuine concern for the well-being of other people. As a result, I am concerned about Austin's drinking habits. Do I know that he has a problem? No. Is it possible that he has a problem? Yes. His wrestling character likes to get liquored up. Big deal, you say. I would agree that that is not reason enough to be concerned about Austin. I'm not concerned about the well-being of his television persona.

I am not a preachy bastard, eVil. I am opinionated, and I do speak my mind. I do not tell you my opinion to force my beliefs onto you or to make you feel like shit not being as "holy" as I. I do it to participate in the discussion. My opinion is that Austin may have a drinking problem and probably had one in the past. My opinion is that he should refrain from comsuming alcohol because it would be in his best interest. Doing so would allow himf to stay away from putting himself and others at a risk of harm. You needn't respect my opinion, nor like me for having that opinion, but please don't undermine my ethical beliefs because unlike me, you'd rather "let people live their lives". Hey, I'd like to let people live their lives too. However, I don't think that boozin' your life away is anyway to live your life. Anything that can be classified as self-destructive behaviour shouldn't be ignored in the sake of letting people live their lives. If you turn a blind eye to such things you aren't letting people live their lives, you're letting them kill themselves. That's just my opinion, eVil. By all means, please, do tell me what you think it is.

Blown Spot - 5-29-2003 at 08:46 PM

I will concede that Rob probably jumped the gun with his conclusions about Austin's problems and the Fed's character. I can not however, measure the level of Rob's concern merely by reading what he has posted here. The only thing Rob is guilty of here is that he moved right to the endgame and failed to keep his views in the realm of speculation, where they no doubt, belong.

I can dismiss WHY he wrote what he wrote. I can't dismiss WHAT he wrote because, suppose we knew for sure that Austin had a drinking problem. Rob would be justified in his disgust and in saying that the "Fed" is doing Austin a disservice by allowing him to engage in beer related activity on screen. We don't know if Austin has a drinking problem though.

C,mon, you're telling me that given Austin's gimmick and given what we have read, on the web, about his personal problems that, it wouldn't cross the minds of some, that his black-eye might be alcohol related?

There's a difference though, between saying it might be related and that it is.

I'm not going to judge Rob or others for not getting that distinction. That's a common problem amongst discussions with opposing points of veiw.

I will also state that I don't have the power to measure the level of anyone's concern through the ether of the internet. Nor, to my knowledge, does anyone else.

There is a lot of narrow thinking in this thread.

eViL - 5-29-2003 at 09:01 PM

Listen I'm all for everyone being healthy and living long productive lives. And I think we should all go plant a daisy to commemorate the beauty of compassion for others. My issue here is anyone assuming that this person, that they don't know personally, is boozing their life away. All those nice things Slade said about him caring for everyone even if he doesn't know them are great. I'm not going to contend whether or not that is true or genuine because I don't really know him. However, I'd suggest, in an effort to care for people that you try not to be so judgemental because unfairly judging others is not very caring.

MysteriousDr.X - 5-29-2003 at 09:58 PM

This is a wrestling website. All this board is for is the discussion, analysis, bashing, praising, etc. of WRESTLING.
I would venture as far as to say that anyone who frequently hangs out at and contributes to a board of this nature and then says that he would tell wrestlers to quit taking steroids is a big hypocrite.
Slade, were you concerned when Spanky Kendrick came back so quickly from his concussion? surely, that is every bit as damaging to your brain as being visibly drunk. Potentially more so. Should all injuries be nursed until they are fully healed (certainly what is "best" for the superstars), or should wrestlers be allowed to make some of those decisions themselves?
In other words, lighten up and get some perspective. It is a show. They are performers. they make a hell of a lot of decidedly unhealthy decisions in the name of entertaining us. Quit trying to save the world and let them entertain you.

Blown Spot - 5-29-2003 at 10:05 PM

Sigh

You know... you can lead a horse to water...

MysteriousDr.X - 5-29-2003 at 10:12 PM

...but you can't make him drink.

Which is, apparantly, a good thing. Wouldn't want the horse to get a black eye as a result of his drinking. What would the neighbors think?

Stupid horse.

outback jack - 5-29-2003 at 10:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by angstboy
A friend of mine and I have a saying: "Goddammit Lillian!" Last night was a multiple Goddammit Lilian evening... she's being too hot.

Oh and as far as the Austin black eye thing goes... the "fell on some soap" thing was obviously a joke. Who knows how he got the shiner, really. He coulda been working on something in the yard and bumped his face, or he coulda been playing with retarded kids at the park and smacked his head on the monkey bars. The point is no one knows. He could've gotten into a drunken brawl, sure, but it's none of our business, really. High horses indeed. To assume that his drinking has something to do with it is pure uninformed speculation. Besides, I don't think spilling 87 ounces on your t-shirt and getting maybe 3 ounces in your mouth can be considered a "drinking problem." Unless of course your name is Ted Striker.

Ditto.