The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Getting Over In the Modern Day
CCharger
The Man

Posts 5047
Registered 7-21-2010

Mood: Sick of hokey shit

posted on 9-17-2019 at 02:32 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Getting Over In the Modern Day

So, what wrestlers from the past would still be big acts today if they were in their prime now?

I think Flair in his prime would be over. I think the Road Warriors would be huge today. I think the Rock would be over huge (remember: in their prime).

On the other hand, I don't think Hogan or Savage would be able to get over with their gimmicks.

"I don't watch the show, Paul. Why would I watch the show?"

"I hate it when I'm watching along at home and I'm envisioning certain common sense things, and WWE just leaves all that money on the table to do something that will have no result other than send viewers looking for something else."

-- The Rick

First 9
The Immortal One

Posts 4058
Registered 1-22-2013

Mood: Doing the Emma Dance

posted on 9-17-2019 at 03:46 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I think Diesel would do a lot better today than he did back then. He'd stand out a lot more as there are fewer giants and he'd have more chances to show his in-ring chops with today's bigger emphasis on workrate.Instead of having shitty slugfests with guys like Mabel, he'd be having much better hoss offs with Strowman and McIntyre, and he would have more opportunities to have great big man vs little man matches like he had with Bret.

Plus with social media and all the behind the scenes shows WWE does, Kevin Nash's personality would get to shine outside the ring.

[Edited on 9-17-2019 by First 9]

bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7841
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

Mood: Stratusfied

posted on 9-17-2019 at 03:58 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Obvious guys:

Austin, Rock, Foley, Flair, HBK, and Triple H. All can work, talk, and have a good look. Or unique in Foley’s case.

Also, Hardy Boys, E&C, and Dudley’s would all be above Young Bucks.

Oh... and Brock gets over in any era at his peak.

Less obvious:

Bret - the Canada > America thing? With Bret being able to hang with top workers? That could work. Excellence of Execution? Not so sure.

Savage - coked out promos? If Enzo could get over, so could Macho Man.

Vader - I mean, Ryback and Braun got over. Vader in his prime was much better.

CM Punk/Bryan Danielson/Indy darling - see Rollins,Owens, Balor, etc.

Trish - Mandy Rose would be Trish’s downside. She’d have at least an Alexa level career now.

Not Happening:

Undertaker - his peak was built around being a legend. Not sure he reaches legend status with being an ok big guy who can’t really talk with a silly gimmick.

Lita - moonsaults aren’t enough.

punkerhardcore
American Dream

Posts 8306
Registered 7-15-2005

Mood: Lickable

posted on 9-17-2019 at 06:15 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Rick Rude was way ahead of his time. The whole, "cut the music" bit, along with the shit talking and air brushed tights would still be amazing today.

Is everyone mad here?
Of course they are, and you are too... otherwise, you wouldn't have come here.

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10719
Registered 1-19-2008

Mood: Blade Jaggart Rulez!

posted on 9-17-2019 at 07:37 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Any non-goof gimmick would make it as long as it was combined with some good in-ring skills. Scott Hall of The Outsiders would succeed but Razor Ramon certainly wouldn't. Savage would make it - he was just too talented to ever ignore but the insanity promos never go out of style but the zubaz swag would have to be deleted. Ultimate Warrior would be laughed out of every building in the world right now because one-dimensional clothesline-clobbering combined with tassels around the biceps is (and always was) too lame for mere words to describe. Doink would make it, thanks to at least 90% of the population being afraid of clowns.

Hey bitches! Screw ALL of you! - heel Bayley, Oct 11 2019

DKBroiler
SpeciASSl CUMedian

Posts 3130
Registered 1-25-2008
Location One Inch Right of Philly on a Map

Mood: Old

posted on 9-17-2019 at 10:06 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
RE: Hogan

Not only would prime Hogan be a huge star, he would be their biggest star. Have you not watched WWE? Goldberg is still over primarily from 20 year old victories over Hogan and he is over as hell still.

Don’t ever for a second confuse what would be popular with hardcore uber fans with what would be all over Smackdown on Fox posters.

Kenny Omega, for example, is not nearly as over with the casual wrestling audience TODAY as Hogan is TODAY. And Hogan is a racist who can barely walk or talk anymore. 30 to 45 year old Hogan was a God of Heat and that should not just be forgotten about.

Also, Savage is amazing and would still be. He’d fit in any era. Do you not like charisma?

[Edited on 9-17-2019 by DKBroiler]

Reigning, Defending, Undisputed, 0 Time Award Winner

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10719
Registered 1-19-2008

posted on 9-17-2019 at 10:21 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
It might heighten the divisions between jaded adult fans and the kids in the crowd, as the decade of Cena illustrated, but there's no way that a Hogan-type gimmick would ever get universal acclaim again. Those days are now extinct, as shown most vividly by the anti-Reigns hate-fest anywhere from 30 to 40% of the audience was engaging in (as recently as earlier this year) until the cancer diagnosis was revealed. And it's further shown by Becky and Bayley getting real cheers only after the goody-two-shoes routines they were stuck with got abandoned altogether. Any pure hopeless-sap face of the Hogan variety is something that should be forever extinct in WWE as chair shots to the head now are.

punkerhardcore
American Dream

Posts 8306
Registered 7-15-2005

posted on 9-17-2019 at 10:36 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
You're missing the point of the thread, DK. Nobody is disputing Goldberg's current nostalgia-based popularity. The question is-- if Bill Goldberg debuted as a brand new superstar next week, would he be able to get over? I'd say maybe. He's a big dude who could fuck people up. Probably do no worse than Braun, really.

Hogan... I really don't think he would. In today's era, he'd be a half bald chump, who is barely an OK worker. All that hokey stuff from the 80s like no selling and shouting "you!" wouldn't fly today.

Is everyone mad here?

salmonjunkie
Best There Is Was or Ever Will Be

Posts 12677
Registered 6-25-2002
Location Sunny Seattle, WA

Mood: FICKLE!

posted on 9-17-2019 at 11:48 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Hulk today would be pulling off shit like this to get over:

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo
CCharger
The Man

Posts 5047
Registered 7-21-2010

posted on 9-18-2019 at 12:48 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Same with Savage.

If Savage debuted today with the sunglasses and the rhinestone cowboy hat and giving his semi-coherent promos, he'd be roasted on here constantly.

You know who else wouldn't get over? Andre.

"I hate it when I'm watching along at home and I'm envisioning certain common sense things, and WWE just leaves all that money on the table to do something that will have no result other than send viewers looking for something else."

-- The Rick

bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7841
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

Mood: Stratusfied

posted on 9-18-2019 at 01:35 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Yeah, but rhinestone hat Savage wasn’t peak Savage. The heel act with him mistreating Elizabeth? The cream rises to the top? That guy would get over today.

I’m not sure about Hogan, and Piper as well. Both have the charisma. But in the ring? Not sure.

Another I’m not sure on? Ricky Steamboat. Not sure he has the mic skills to be an over baby face in 2019.

Another who would? Jake Roberts. Lots of guys use a DDT variation as a finisher, and none hit it as well as Roberts. Plus snakes are always imagery. See the Viper and Rattlesnake.

punkerhardcore
American Dream

Posts 8306
Registered 7-15-2005

posted on 9-18-2019 at 03:04 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I was gonna mention Andre as well as a firm nope.

I absolutely agree on Savage getting over. But even beyond that, I picture a Randy Savage who was breaking into pro wrestling today as having a much leaner body type. Without all the steriod/whatever use, he'd likely be much less jacked up looking... more like a Seth Rollins-ish level of fit.

Is everyone mad here?

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10719
Registered 1-19-2008

posted on 9-18-2019 at 03:14 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Hate to think about what some of those guys from back in the day could be doing if they were, like you just said, a bunch of no-steroid CrossFit Jesuses like Rollins. At a minimum a hell of lot of them would probably still be alive today.

Toss this one out for controversy - except for Dynamite Kid (due to his flippy-shit ability) and maybe Owen I don't think any of the other Harts would have been successful in today's wrestling. Too mechanical and often boring, not that great on promos, and far too often caught like a deer in the headlights by others who could talk way better than pretty much all of them. Toss in too that even Anvil and Davey Boy weren't all that big compared to some of the specimens around today like Reigns, Orton, Elias, Cena, etc.. What made them unique back then just doesn't exist anymore. Benoit would have been super-successful though, because the reckless way he could go in the ring would have matched up perfectly with (once again) Rollins and others like Balor

shashwat mishra
Showstopper

Posts 853
Registered 9-27-2002
Location Bhubaneswar, India

Mood: Saving Money

posted on 9-18-2019 at 08:52 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Owen Hart would be able to pull off the main event today. Great worker, good on the mike, terrific as the bitchy, whiny heel who could back it up in the ring. With a heel Bret by his side, they would dominate the tag division. He would also do well in the singles - at Kevin Owens's level.

I believe Bret could still play a clean, top babyface most of the time. He would have to change his wrestling style and make it more brawling oriented to avoid being tagged as boring. The matches he would have with Daniel Bryan and AJ Styles and with Brock Lesnar would be epic.

Macho Man would be taking over Dean Ambrose's slot in the WWE. Unhinged, unpredictable, able to work all styles but way more entertaining than Dean Ambrose.

Undertaker would succeed as Judgement Day Biker Taker with a take-no-prisoners attitude. He is okay on the mic when not playing supernatural characters. His feud with Brock Lesnar in the early 2000s is something that would work even today.

Doink > Pennywise and would have a gimmick as a psychopath. Would be better than Bray Wyatt's first run in any case.

Hulk Hogan probably would struggle with his in ring limitations. He is a big guy and Vince would have tried a huge push. Also, I doubt his look and the yellow undies would fly with the new generation. His top feuds would be with Jinder and Rusev.

Shawn Michaels and Seth Rollins would have a love story? Vince would personally write that one.

CCharger
The Man

Posts 5047
Registered 7-21-2010

posted on 9-18-2019 at 02:01 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I have to imagine that RVD and Matt Riddle would have some kind of weed/martial art themed tag team together.

-- The Rick

DKBroiler
SpeciASSl CUMedian

Posts 3130
Registered 1-25-2008

posted on 9-18-2019 at 03:28 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paddlefoot
It might heighten the divisions between jaded adult fans and the kids in the crowd, as the decade of Cena illustrated, but there's no way that a Hogan-type gimmick would ever get universal acclaim again. Those days are now extinct, as shown most vividly by the anti-Reigns hate-fest anywhere from 30 to 40% of the audience was engaging in (as recently as earlier this year) until the cancer diagnosis was revealed. And it's further shown by Becky and Bayley getting real cheers only after the goody-two-shoes routines they were stuck with got abandoned altogether. Any pure hopeless-sap face of the Hogan variety is something that should be forever extinct in WWE as chair shots to the head now are.

They said over, not universal acclaim. Cena and Reigns ALWAYS got a reaction (IE being over) even if it wasn’t the one that WWE wanted. There’s a 100% chance a loud minority of fans would boo the hell out of Hogan it he was in his prime in 2019. But he would absolutely get a loud ass reaction and kids would love him, no different than Cena/Reigns and get promoted in the same way. No one is arguing that Hogan was ever a good in-ring technician, that’s silly. I’m arguing that a finger point, Hulk-up and leg drop would still get the loudest reaction of the week because prime Hogan had supernatural charisma.

[Edited on 9-18-2019 by DKBroiler]

DKBroiler
SpeciASSl CUMedian

Posts 3130
Registered 1-25-2008

posted on 9-18-2019 at 03:30 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by punkerhardcore
You're missing the point of the thread, DK. Nobody is disputing Goldberg's current nostalgia-based popularity. The question is-- if Bill Goldberg debuted as a brand new superstar next week, would he be able to get over? I'd say maybe. He's a big dude who could fuck people up. Probably do no worse than Braun, really.

Hogan... I really don't think he would. In today's era, he'd be a half bald chump, who is barely an OK worker. All that hokey stuff from the 80s like no selling and shouting "you!" wouldn't fly today.

No I got it. I’m arguing that in WWE it totally would and he’d be selling out arenas world-wide because charisma > wrestling skill 99 times out of 100 in WWE.

nOOb
The Man

Posts 7411
Registered 5-24-2004

Mood: Hot Dog!

posted on 9-18-2019 at 03:30 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Correct answer: whoever Vince is inexplicably drawn to at the time, or, more importantly, whoever doesn’t do something that Vince decides he doesn’t like in front of him. Hogan can come back in his prime and be shat on by the smart fans, but if Vince still wants to go full on ‘Murica, he’ll sell the universe on him in a heartbeat. Likewise, any old school work rate guy could come in and set the masses on fire with their performance, but they do something like yawn or sneeze in front of Vince, they’ll be off TV until the Universe forgets about them.

"The Seahawks are cool. Me and Tubby here hung out with them once at a Bruno Mars concert."-Jay and Silent Bob representing the Broncos on FOX NFL Sunday.

DKBroiler
SpeciASSl CUMedian

Posts 3130
Registered 1-25-2008

posted on 9-18-2019 at 03:34 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CCharger
Same with Savage.

If Savage debuted today with the sunglasses and the rhinestone cowboy hat and giving his semi-coherent promos, he'd be roasted on here constantly.

You know who else wouldn't get over? Andre.

Roasted on here does not mean over. Being on NFL commercials for Smackdown on Fox while little kids line up so their parents buy $35 t-shirts does. Every single person you mentioned would be over as hell. I’m sure they’d make a few modern tweaks like less coke and alcoholism but that’s the whole industry.

Who we like in our own corner of hardcore nerdism is wildly different than what an average WWE fan will react to.

DKBroiler
SpeciASSl CUMedian

Posts 3130
Registered 1-25-2008

posted on 9-18-2019 at 03:38 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nOOb
Correct answer: whoever Vince is inexplicably drawn to at the time, or, more importantly, whoever doesn’t do something that Vince decides he doesn’t like in front of him. Hogan can come back in his prime and be shat on by the smart fans, but if Vince still wants to go full on ‘Murica, he’ll sell the universe on him in a heartbeat. Likewise, any old school work rate guy could come in and set the masses on fire with their performance, but they do something like yawn or sneeze in front of Vince, they’ll be off TV until the Universe forgets about them.

100% what Noob said better than I ever could. The answer is Vince. “We” might hate many of his pet projects but the guy is a master at institutionalized Stockholm Syndrome.

CCharger
The Man

Posts 5047
Registered 7-21-2010

posted on 9-18-2019 at 03:41 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I love Andre the Giant, but do you really think that in today's wrestling that a lumbering 7' 4" guy who can hardly speak English, and a limited skillset would get over? You're crazy. Look at Khali.

And I understand that we are a niche corner of wrestling fandom, but my point was that if Savage debuted with the Macho Man gimmick today it wouldn't get over in general. He would not be a big start today like he was in the 80's. Fans wouldn't buy it.

-- The Rick

DKBroiler
SpeciASSl CUMedian

Posts 3130
Registered 1-25-2008

posted on 9-18-2019 at 03:54 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CCharger
I love Andre the Giant, but do you really think that in today's wrestling that a lumbering 7' 4" guy who can hardly speak English, and a limited skillset would get over? You're crazy. Look at Khali.

And I understand that we are a niche corner of wrestling fandom, but my point was that if Savage debuted with the Macho Man gimmick today it wouldn't get over in general. He would not be a big start today like he was in the 80's. Fans wouldn't buy it.

Khali still sells out arenas in India. That’s something. Maybe Andre wouldn’t be a world champ but put that guy on NXT UK and he’d become a megastar in Europe at least. Put him next to WALTER and we’d have to stop capitalizing his name. Book him to go undefeated in NXT UK for 2 years and at worst he’s a main event heel fodder for Reigns to take down.

As for Machoman ... the guy who had the original best match ever at WM 3, um really? First he’d be the absolute favorite of work rate fans. While I don’t think that work rate is nearly as important as charisma, it still counts for something. And then add in his charisma which was Rock level and I’d argue he’d be an enormous star ... who still would get booked as below Hogan/Reigns/Cena cause Vince. Machoman would be the smark favorite and if he were on AEW be hailed as the best wrestler in the world.

denverpunk
The Great One

Posts 3074
Registered 6-27-2007
Location Mile-Hi

Mood: Stoked

posted on 9-18-2019 at 04:42 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Ted Dibiase Sr. would probably do even better today than he did in the 80’s. I also second Jake the Snake. Guys like Greg Valentine, Dino Bravo, and Honkey Tonk Man would all stiff.

I wonder about Andre, because I think Yokozuna would be a big star today. Being big and slow doesn’t mean you won’t make it.

First 9
The Immortal One

Posts 4058
Registered 1-22-2013

Mood: Doing the Emma Dance

posted on 9-18-2019 at 05:11 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
If anything, AEW's looser feel and wild environment would probably a better home for the Macho Man character than modern WWE is. Just like Cody is a throw back to 80's Southern wrestling, they could fit in a throwback to the WWF's steroid fueled, cartoony 80's era aswell.
Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10719
Registered 1-19-2008

posted on 9-18-2019 at 07:06 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by denverpunk

I wonder about Andre, because I think Yokozuna would be a big star today. Being big and slow doesn’t mean you won’t make it.

Viscera/Big Daddy V bombed, and he was wildly more mobile than Yoko ever was. I think in terms of big fat guys that someone like Dozer would be the limit of how far WWE would be willing to go. There's just too many of the Rollins/Balor type of guys now who go non-stop at full speed to make the huge fatties look credible as opponents.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top