Board logo

OOfficial Discussion Thread for: NXT 2019
OORick - 1-24-2019 at 02:51 AM

The first Takeover of 2019 is fast approaching, so it's time to begin another catch-all thread for just about everybody's favorite single hour of wrestling per week!

Tommaso Ciampa defending the NXT Title against Aleister Black will headline on Saturday night, and marks Black's first shot at regaining the NXT belt he lost in the middle of a pre-existing Ciampa/Gargano feud.

Speaking of which, as part of that story, Johnny Gargano turned heel on Black... and on Saturday, should be poised to steal the show when he goes after Ricochet and the North American Title. Hands down my #1 reason for tuning in.

Shayna Baszler will defend the women's title against up-and-coming Bianca Belair. But as the Horsewomen storyline begins to gel, you just now that Jessamyn Duke and Marina Shafir won't be far behind.... and it's also been established that Kairi Sane and Io Shirai are not fans of their happy crappy.

The Undisputed Era's tag titles will be on the line against the War Raiders, another up-and-coming first-time challenger.... I guess there's gonna be another Matt Riddle vs. Kassius Ohno match, as well... and while signs would point to a Velveteen Dream vs. Adam Cole match, it has not been announced, which is not how I'd handle another potential show-stealer (easily ahead of just about everything but Gargano/Ricochet, on paper)...

They may just be holding it back for a show where they won't be nearly as pressed for time.... but Velveteen Dream also appeared to kick off a potentially major storyline/angle last week, by insinuating he was displeased with his contract and would be reserving his services, accordingly... a big ol' "we'll see"...

Could also use this thread to discuss NXT Award Winners, who will also be announced on Saturday (during the kick-off show)...

Takeover Event of the Year Nominees: Philly (Rumble Weekend), New Orleans (Mania), Chicago (MitB), Brooklyn (SummerSlam), WarGames (Survivor Series)

Match of the Year Nominees: too many to list, just refer to WWE's info page about the rewards at https://www.wwe.com/shows/wwenxt/article/nxt-2018-year-end-awards (no reason that couldn't reasonably be whittled down to 4-5 that clearly stand out above the rest, so I'm not sure why they went overboard like that)

Feud of the Year Nominees: Gargano/Ciampa, Baszler/Sane, Black/Ciampa/Gargano, Velveteen/Ricochet, Undisputed Era/Moustache Mountain, Baszler/Moon, Gargano/Almas

Breakout Star Nominees: Ricochet, EC3, Lars Sullivan, Bianca Belair, Rhea Ripley, Dakota Kai, Lacey Evans, War Raiders

Future Star Nominees: Duke/Shafir, Riddle, Shirai, Candice LaRae, Keith Lee, Dominik Dijakovic , Forgotten Sons, Kona Reeves

Tag Team of the Year Nominees: Undisputed Era, Moustache Mountain, Lorcan/Burch, Heavy Machinery, War Raiders, Street Profits

Female Athlete of the Year Nominees: Baszler, Belair, Sane, Nikki Cross, Ember Moon

Male Athlete of the Year Nominees: Ciampa, Ricochet, Black, Gargano, Velveteen, Cole, Pete Dunn, Andrade Cien Almas

Overall Athlete of the Year: all 13 aforementioned singles nominees are eligible

That is all. Begin discussification!

[Edited on 8-10-2019 by Matte]

CamstunPWG187 - 1-24-2019 at 04:35 AM

Look for Riddle and Ohno to go 10 minutes, and ALMOST steal the show. It will be the opener or second match, and it’ll be BAD-FUCKING-ASS.

the goon - 1-25-2019 at 02:50 AM

For anyone who follows NXT more closely than me (I always watch the TakeOver PPVs, but rarely catch the weekly show outside of highlights), does Gargano taking the title off of Ciampa still seem like the ultimate endgame or has the ship sailed on that?

OORick - 1-25-2019 at 05:23 AM

Anything's possible in NXT, where viewers are actually rewarded for having an attention span longer than one week. There's ways to circle back around to another chapter of Gargano chasing Ciampa in the long run, I guess....

But my gut feel is that there's no way it gets to that point. NXT has good churn, and Ciampa would probably have to run as champ for most or all of 2019 to get back to that point. Other than Asuka, that sort of longevity hasn't been their thing lately.

The vibe to me is that it's actually more likely that #DIY reunites and ends up winning a main roster tag title before they figure out how to tell the story of another NXT title match betwixt the two.

Of course, this is only done to get #DIY to the main roster in a buzzy way, just so they can eventually retell the story of their break-up, leading to more singles death feud matches, just in front of 10x as many eyeballs.... but it'll be fun as hell!

But again: gut feel. Nothing more....

GodEatGod - 1-25-2019 at 05:39 AM

I think it would be hard to turn Johnny face once again after recent months. You could maybe do, like, soul-searching vignettes or have him take some time away and come back, but, as good as Johnny/Ciampa was last year, it kind of burned itself out and it needs a break.

Mostly I'm just tired of Candice LeRae being wasted as just "Johnny Wrestling's wife" when she should be kicking Shayna Baszler in the face.

the goon - 1-26-2019 at 03:58 AM

Didn't they kind of book Gargano to look like an idiot in a couple of those matches with Ciampa too, where he basically had them won but still managed to come out the loser? I seem to recall in their Last Man Standing match that he had Ciampa freaking handcuffed, yet somehow still lost.

williamssl - 1-26-2019 at 04:34 AM

quote:
Originally posted by OORick

Of course, this is only done to get #DIY to the main roster in a buzzy way, just so they can eventually retell the story of their break-up, leading to more singles death feud matches, just in front of 10x as many eyeballs.... but it'll be fun as hell!

I would love to see this. But the pessimist in me (or is it pragmatist given what we seemingly tend to see re: handoff from NXT to main roster writing honors) says it happens poorly if at all.

I think we’d more likely end up with #DIY and Breezango simultaneously splitting and Ciampa / Fandango feuding with Gargano / Breeze over rights to the fashion files with Ascension as the consolation prize.

janerd75 - 1-26-2019 at 04:44 AM

quote:
Originally posted by williamssl
quote:
Originally posted by OORick

I would love to see this. But the pessimist in me (or is it pragmatist given what we seemingly tend to see re: handoff from NXT to main roster writing honors) says it happens poorly if at all.

I think we’d more likely end up with #DIY and Breezango simultaneously splitting and Ciampa / Fandango feuding with Gargano / Breeze over rights to the fashion files with Ascension as the consolation prize.

williamssl - 1-26-2019 at 05:00 AM

When this happens, I will find me. I will hunt me.

OORick - 1-26-2019 at 06:12 AM

quote:
When this happens, I will find me. I will hunt me.

I dunno. It doesn't have to suck.

If the Ascension somehow stay employed long enough to get to the point where they willingly offer themselves to the loser of a Ciampa/Fandango vs. Gargano/Breeze feud on the main roster, I would LOVE IT if thing unfolded in such a way that Breezango slowly began to realize that they are not complete without each other.

Furthermore, the Ascension complete them.

So by some horseshit nonsense, Dango and the Breeze get double counted out in a deciding match to re-unite with the Ascension.

And then, Ciampa and Gargano just kick the holy living shit out of all 4 of them for being silly wankers.

And then, Ciampa and Gagano look at each other, and remember they hate each other more than anything, and beat the shit out each other. Until the other 4 guys come back at them. And then you can do something fun with that, which ends with Ciampa and Gargano teaming up to beat 4 men, without actually being partners at any point.

Or something like that..... no need to hunt yourself, wms. Unless, of course, "hunting yourself" is a thing you like to do in your personal private reflection time.

williamssl - 1-26-2019 at 06:42 AM

This whole thing simultaneously made me laugh ...and want it.

I don’t know if that’s good or bad though.

Best to “hunt myself” to figure that one out.

DevilSoprano - 1-26-2019 at 11:06 PM

Live chat available for tonight's NXT Takeover and tomorrow's Royal Rumble on Discord.

Link below:

https://discord.gg/HMZKkHt

nOOb - 1-27-2019 at 12:28 AM

I think Rowe may have just broken the record for single most feats of strength in one match. And they were all pretty awesome.

[Edited on 1-27-2019 by nOOb]

janerd75 - 1-27-2019 at 12:32 AM

The sheer strength and stamina of those two fire hydrant-shaped fat dudes is beyond insane.

bigfatgoalie - 1-27-2019 at 12:50 AM

War Raiders and UE was ridiculously good. I can’t remember the last NXT tag title match at a TakeOver that wasn’t great. Like not just good, but you could show a non-fan the match as an example of what great tag team wrestling is.

Riddle sure is over. Most I’ve seen him have to sell. Hopefully he moves to a more compelling feud.

janerd75 - 1-27-2019 at 01:04 AM

That Kerry von Erich lookin' money-flipper was pretty damned smooth. Dunno about the shoeless deal but I guess it's a holdover from his MMA days? Pretty gross when KO started gnawing on his toe though. Considering how big he's getting I guess he just got hungry mid-match. And goddamn I still can't get over what a dumb name Kassius Ohno is.

bigfatgoalie - 1-27-2019 at 01:30 AM

Gargano wins....huh. Great match. Not sure where they go with Gargano, as I thought the TakeOver Mania main was going to be Gargano finally defeating Ciampa for the title.

williamssl - 1-27-2019 at 01:47 AM

My money is on Dream getting a rematch.

bigfatgoalie - 1-27-2019 at 02:00 AM

So Baszler wins as expected. Belair looked a little lost at times, but with a lot of potential. I think the hair got in her way at times too. Baszler still looks green herself at times, and is a reminder how freakish Ronda’s success is. Really both could benefit from being in the ring with more established women.

Not a bad match, just slightly off the TakeOver standard.

janerd75 - 1-27-2019 at 02:11 AM

Yeah, if anything the MMA Horsewomen could benefit from Ronda taking some time off while they all get more experience. Though not too much time given Shayna's already 38 which still blows my mind every time I see her.

bigfatgoalie - 1-27-2019 at 02:44 AM

Loved the story told by Ciampa and Black. Great match. I expect Black will be showing up on Raw as early as Monday.

Again a fantastic night of wrestling from NXT.

DevilSoprano - 1-27-2019 at 02:48 AM

That ending was perfect. #HeelDIY

GodEatGod - 1-27-2019 at 02:58 AM

quote:
Originally posted by bigfatgoalie
Loved the story told by Ciampa and Black. Great match. I expect Black will be showing up on Raw as early as Monday.

Again a fantastic night of wrestling from NXT.

I expect him earlier than Monday.

Really great show, as always. Some insane bumps tonight, from that Tower of London spot on the apron to Hanson splattering himself on the outside to that spike reverse rana on Ricochet from Johnny. Johnny/Ricochet's gotta be match of the night (although the tag was close), but nothing was bad and everything had a clear story and was well performed.

williamssl - 1-27-2019 at 03:03 AM

quote:
Originally posted by DevilSoprano
That ending was perfect. #HeelDIY

This.

Great show.

See you tomorrow, Black.

bigfatgoalie - 1-27-2019 at 03:08 AM

Oh, I wouldn’t be surprised if Black shows up in the Rumble...I just think his time in NXT is over period.

ETA: apparently there was a brawl after TakeOver ended with Adam Cole, Gargano, and Ciampa facing off with Ricochet, Dream, and Black. So maybe we are jumping the gun on Black moving on.

[Edited on 1-27-2019 by bigfatgoalie]

OORick - 1-27-2019 at 05:21 AM

Just got done watching.... quick thoughts on tonight's show:

I think WWE might finally have its long-desired monster tag team in the vein of the 80s. Obviously, they failed with the Ascension (creatively moreso than developmentally; but also, developmentally, I think). The War Raiders have a combination of real-life/believability and affectation.... the 80s monster teams were all affectation, and I think that's why Ascension failed. Even though the War Raiders are what happens if the Berzerker made sweet sweet love to each member of Demolition, resulting in two love children, there's something more than a bit compelling about Viking Demolition.

As a bonus, when the Raiders get to the main roster in a year or so, Logan immediately becomes their Lita, so projecting forward, they could also sort of be Viking Hardys.

[I'm working on the assumption that Vince won't be a diptard and try to fiddle with their act, because he doesn't think WWE fans can handle a "Rowe" and a "Rowan" on the same roster. Especially since they both have beards.]

Gargano sporting his Cavs colors to spite the Suns fans was a nice attempt at minimizing the number of wankers subconsciously cheering for him.... he's really doing everything he can to sell the idea that he'd rather be winning than cheered, which is cool (and also the reason why I said I thought a #DIY reunion as heels was more likely than a circle-around to a Ciampa/Gargano rematch, and SPOILER ALERT, that's what happened in the main event).

And then, as expected, they went on and had a match with that basic narrative that was just balls-out and the best of the night, because they are one of the very few rare pairings of performers capable of doing those spots.

[Exception: that slip-through-snake-eyes is a great spot from Gargano that will soon be part of everyone's escape-move-set from the standard superplex set-up. Everybody on the main roster should be able to do at least one-half of that spot safely, if not both, and it's low risk, but such high impact/perception-of-impact, that I can't see not adopting it]

[Other execption: the fewer brainbusters onto exposed concrete, the better I'll feel, no matter how good a pairing of performers try it.]

Baszler/Belair wasn't great, but I think it shows Belair has more or less beat another level: she can now play as babyface. She came to the PC with some character issues she had to address, and she hasn't let anyone down on those improvements. She debuted on TV and had easy heel chops. Now, she can garner sympathy. She could be en route to major majory success.

But for now, that match is what happens when you don't have a whole lot of combined reps. Repetitions are how you get smooth on a big stage, and are there even 3 dozen TV matches between Baszler and Belair, much less PPV outings? Not even close.... it'll happen for both, though.

Velveteen Dream Sighting in the front row! As I alluded to, his claims of contract displeasure are a total work.... I just don't know if it's a quick story tool to delay the Dream/Cole singles match, or a bigger story. I'd lean towards the former, if not for one thing: there's a giant Lars Sullivan-sized hole in John Cena's WrestleMania plans, and it's not like Velveteen hasn't already been in one Royal Rumble Match as a surprise participant.

Flash Dream Auction, anyone? Cena v. Velvateen, anyone? I think that's what's happening as a result of Dream getting out of his NXT contract to make the big big RAW and/or SD money (but probably RAW). And I'm not a Lars-hater (I would be if I was sure about the sourcing of that one rumor about his beliefs on race and gender), but I think Cena/Velveteen will be SOOOOOOOO much better if they go that way.

Ciampa/Black was very good. But in a match where Black is the babyface and Ciampa is the heel, and I'm lukewarm at best on the babyface? The narrative prevents me from getting fully invested. This is not an objective rating thing, it's just a main event where the guy I'm supposed to be cheering for isn't even in my top 20, and I kinda like the heel better. They busted ass, all respect, though.

Gargano coming out with his NA Title and making sweet sweet eye love with Ciampa and the NXT Title, however? That's a great ending..... #HeelDIY, indeed.... not that I called it or anything!

EDIT TO ADD: just saw the speculation about Black moving onto the main roster, but combined with the post-PPV stuff, and yadda yadda yadda.... with a few expections, NXT call-ups are still hanging around on NXT TV for a bit to tie up loose ends (since there's actually some future NXT TV already pre-taped at this point).... I wouldn't put a ton of weight on what NXT cameras caught after Takeover was off the air; they're still trying to keep their weekly TV going.... that said: Black could very well show up in the Rumble tomorrow, even if only as a heat-check/one-off, where he's still on the NXT roster.... I still sort of view him as one-dimensional, but I ain't against giving it a try.... I still think a left-field main roster move with Velveteen is the better play, though (even if he also sticks around for TV purposes and doing a pay-off with Cole)....

[Edited on 1-27-2019 by OORick]

derfsucks - 1-27-2019 at 11:19 PM

For the love of all things holy, I pray that ending last night leads us to the first ever NXT Elimination Chamber match.

OORick - 1-28-2019 at 03:05 AM

Close! But no cigar.

Velveteen vs. Cole vs. Gargano vs. Ricochet vs. Ciampa vs. Black is going to be combined into a 6-man tag match, along obvious lines.

That tag match is taking place next Sunday on the revival of "Halftime Heat," a 30 minute show taking place during halftime of whatever that one leather-egg-ball game that I'm told is taking place. Only on the WWE Network!

Not a bad idea. "Halftime Heat" was always a great marketing idea, especially before the NFL fully leaned into their own halftime show..... but WWE shat the bed as far as I can recall (the "empty arena match" with Rocky and Mankind was soooooo bad.

This could very well undo all those sins of the past. Seems like the least buzzy halftime show in a while, and this is easily NXT's best foot forward if you're trying to appeal to a wrestling audience or even a latent-fan. They're even making Shawn Michaels work on the sabbath, as he'll be on guest commentary for said match.

CamstunPWG187 - 1-28-2019 at 09:38 AM

Gargano vs Ricochet was the best match, and the tag team opener was better in terms of being a spectacle of textbook tag team wrestling, but I really thought Ohno and Riddle had the most unique match on the card.

Matt Riddle is a completely different beast from anything WWE has. His look, his real-life badassery, and super chill persona all blend together to make someone incredibly dangerous, yet relatable. He’s super chill, but will elbow you into a tapout. Not since Bryan in 2007 have I seen such a cool “holy shit” tapout moment.

Chris Hero (Kassius Ohno) is a pioneer of wrestling and deserves opportunities like this. He has a wealth of experience and knowledge, he’s a master of the craft, and has done so much for the industry, with an endless list of accomplishments (just google what sort of contributions Hero has given to the wrestling world as you know it today).

When people attack his weight, I wanna see the same energy used to defend female wrestlers (especially ones who oull tampons out during a match) go towards him, as well. Chris deserves better.

Given his talent, it doesn’t surprise me the match was incredibly unique and fun. Watching Hero’s heel work/cheap reversals was very cool. Just watching him, I came up with several ideas i can incorporate into my next match. He’s constantly innovating, even with basic cutoffs and heat sequences.

I really dug that match.

ejspoon - 1-28-2019 at 12:30 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CamstunPWG187
Chris Hero (Kassius Ohno) is a pioneer of wrestling and deserves opportunities like this. He has a wealth of experience and knowledge, he’s a master of the craft, and has done so much for the industry, with an endless list of accomplishments (just google what sort of contributions Hero has given to the wrestling world as you know it today).

When people attack his weight, I wanna see the same energy used to defend female wrestlers (especially ones who oull tampons out during a match) go towards him, as well. Chris deserves better.

Given his talent, it doesn’t surprise me the match was incredibly unique and fun. Watching Hero’s heel work/cheap reversals was very cool. Just watching him, I came up with several ideas i can incorporate into my next match. He’s constantly innovating, even with basic cutoffs and heat sequences.

I agree with you completely about Hero. He makes everything look real, for lack of a better term. I saw him wrestle Ciampa in a title match at a house show last year, and he actually had me believing that he might pull off the upset. Reminded me a lot of how I always bought that Luger was really going to beat Flair for the title "this time" in the 90s.

I'm not entirely sure what to think of Riddle yet, but that match Saturday was my positive surprise of the night. With his look, Hero is never going to be the man, but he is in a great position to be one of the men shaping this generation of wrestlers.

TownOfDalem - 1-28-2019 at 06:34 PM

I'm still holding out hope that Ohno gets a run as Cesaro's tag team partner if rumors of Sheamus's demise ever come to pass.

Overall it was another excellent Takeover. Probably not one that will be in contention for show of the year, but every match delivered. Particular shout out to the story told in the Belair/Baszler match. The idea that Belair is still raw was perfectly incorporated into the match. The DIY story that's been playing out for over two year now continues to be incredible. I'm guessing we get Ricochet/Ciampa and Dream/Gargano for the Mania NXT.

No mention of the return of Half Time Heat? I can't believe it took them 20 years to bring it back, but I'm glad they are doing it. Brilliant idea they should do every year. I hope it's still in an empty arena.

nOOb - 1-30-2019 at 08:37 PM

In another case of "these kids just get it", the Vikings that lead Rowe and Hanson out to ringside were Rowe's wife (Sara Logan) and their wedding party. Because those kids just get it.

SpiNNeR72 - 1-30-2019 at 09:15 PM

Just so you know, they get it way more than you might think, that was very well timed for some of us : https://www.shetnews.co.uk/2019/01/29/lerwick-up-helly-aa-a-suitable-impressive-burning-to-mark-the-occasion/

The whole show was spot on. Combined with Takeover Blackpool, the underlings of WWE are putting on some of the best wrestling shows I have ever seen.

I only wish they had put Ciampa out in the rumble while Gargano was still in...

OORick - 2-3-2019 at 06:25 AM

Bump for Halftime Heat, which should be pretty tremendous. Six of NXT's best acts all combined into one match, and marketed in a way that plays into the fact that our collective attention span is garbage....

"Hey, want to flip channels during the Super Bowl, why not flip to this?"

They are NOT duplicating the god-awful "Empty Arena" Match from the first Halftime Heat, but it won't be a huge arena, either.... the match will genuinely be live, I gather, from the Orlando Performance Center, with a small crowd of fans, populating the Simulation Arena (a part of the PC where they have a mini-version of the real WWE Main Roster Entrance Experience), including HBK on guest commentary.

I think it will be pretty great. Or, at least, not suck. Which the first Halftime Heat did.

On an entirely different issue:

So I'm watching the "World Collide" thing on the WWE Network right now.... I sincerely think this is the pilot episode of a future Major WWE Event, in the same exact way that the first Royal Rumble was.

The first Rumble was a free-TV thingie with shitty production values, where everything was dark and shadow-y, but somehow, the drama it created was enough to be reprised later, and turned into a major PPV.

The "Worlds Collide" thing was taped entirely at the Rumble Fan Fest thing, with shitty production values and lots of dark/shadow-y "house show" vibe.... but also, they did a great job of turning the concept into a compelling overall event.

In the future, you would probably tweak it to make the Battle Royale Portion bigger, and the Tournament Portion smaller, but the basic idea was absolutely enjoyable in terms of mixing and matching different rosters and creating "dream matches."

My vision would be: expand the roster of the Battle Royale to 20-ish, and make qualifying for the Royale a big deal.... keep it an NXT vs.205 vs. NXT UK deal for now, but get ready to expand, since NXT Pacific Rim is coming soon.... but instead of having the Battle Royale determine seeding for a 15-man tourney, have 20+ men fighting to determine seeding for an 8-man tourney, and if you don't make the final 7 -- I would retain the insta-bye for the winner of the Royale -- you're done.

I don't know if it rises to the level of a Sunday night PPV.... but it sure as shit would be a great Saturday Companion Piece on a PPV weekend once per year. Or twice per year, if you want to do a women's version of the same thing.

But I digress....

CVD39 - 2-3-2019 at 11:57 AM

^^^^^I’ve been thinking for awhile now (hoping, actually) that they add a new network “PPV” on the Saturdays before the big PPVS which already have Takeovers. They could use any and all talent that’s not used on the Main PPV and have sort of a cross branded show. Have feuds in announced matches that just couldn’t make the Main PPV due to time constraints but also throwing some fun stuff along the way.

You could also do fun things like:

-Debuts or returning stars

-Past wrestlers getting a one night only return

-“Unsanctioned” matches that might get too hardcore for the Main PPV (these types of matches are basically dead in the water these days)

-#1 contenders matches

-This new show could have its own title that must be defended on every one of these shows. Let’s say the Miz is a heel and gets pissed that he isn’t booked at Elimination Chamber so he goes to this show (let’s call this show Saturday Night’s Main Event for now) and calls out their champ (let’s say it’s Ricochet) and beats him just to be a dick and try to prove to the top brass that it was a mistake to not use him.....then, on the week before the next PPV that has a SNME right before it, he has a major match and is reminded that he’s contractually obligated to put up his SNME title that weekend against Somoa Joe and he throws a fit. Fill in the blanks and you got something a bit different.

-Let’s say Shane and Steph are talking in the ring on a Raw and Velveteen Dream interupts them and asks for a chance to prove himself and get called up. Says he can beat any guy either of them have to offer and if he wins, he should be called up. They confer and and with smiles on their faces say he’s got his chance.....at that weekends SNME. Against Dolph Ziggler........and Jeff Hardy. And if he can beat both guys in a Triple Threat match, he can get his call up to the brand of his choosing.

-Let’s say R Truth is the US champion like he currently is and is left off of the Main PPV. So he says he is giving an open challenge that weekend at the SNME. Then, Aleister Black accepts it that week or right before the match and wins. Then Shane says he can’t let his US title leave Smackdown so Black has just earned himself a contract on Smackdown. Boom. That’s how a call up happens.

-You could mix and match the announcers to keep things fresh and different And use any brand guys against any other brand guys. And don’t forget the ladies. They can have matches, too. The rosters are so bloated with talent right now, they could easily do two PPVS a month. Or they can keep the 5 Takeovers and add a few NXTUK PPVS like we just saw a few weeks back and a few Women’s Only PPVS. 5/3/3 or 4/4/4. Just so much talent.

[Edited on 2-3-2019 by CVD39]

the goon - 2-4-2019 at 04:05 AM

That Halftime Heat match was fun as hell. I'm glad I tuned in instead of watching whatever debacle Maroon 5's performance was.

williamssl - 2-4-2019 at 04:09 AM

+1 to that. Fun fun match and why NXT is everything

Paddlefoot - 2-4-2019 at 08:27 AM

As a lead-up to the half time fight they put together a six-hour marathon of NXT's best matches over the last few year son their YouTube channel Too many great ones to list. Well done! wOOT!

First 9 - 2-4-2019 at 03:46 PM

The crowd was hilarious, since it was mostly NTX personel they really hammed it up.

GodEatGod - 2-6-2019 at 08:17 PM

Caught up to Halftime Heat on Youtube, and man, Shawn Michaels put more guys over in this match than he did in the entirety of the 90s.

williamssl - 2-21-2019 at 06:37 AM

Watched NXT tonight....

Purple Reign.

➡️ https://t.co/ePt5TzD6sU pic.twitter.com/2iNwootD8Q

— TDE Wrestling (@totaldivaseps) February 21, 2019

Then I read the spoilers for the next 3 weeks of tapings.

the goon - 2-21-2019 at 06:41 PM

I read the spoiler a few weeks ago that Gargano dropped the NA title to Dream, so I thought it was funny that he was still running around with the belt on all of his live TV appearances. It's just one of those oddities about pro wrestling having pretaped shows, where even though Gargano technically lost the title weeks ago, it didn't actually "happen" until last night.

ejspoon - 2-22-2019 at 12:06 PM

The Freebirds once dropped the titles before they won them!

Cherokee Jack - 2-22-2019 at 12:13 PM

quote:
Originally posted by the goon
I read the spoiler a few weeks ago that Gargano dropped the NA title to Dream, so I thought it was funny that he was still running around with the belt on all of his live TV appearances. It's just one of those oddities about pro wrestling having pretaped shows, where even though Gargano technically lost the title weeks ago, it didn't actually "happen" until last night.
Apparently though they actually filmed two finishes. Dream won the title as we saw on TV, then as he was leaving up the ramp Gargano attacked him and threw him back in the ring. They did the finishing sequence again except he missed the elbow, Johnny put him in the Gargano Escape, he tapped, the bell rang again and Johnny left with the belt.

Guess it gave them cover to have him still carrying the belt at Raw/SD as well as help prevent it from being completely spoiled (because they could have edited it to have either finish happen), but must have been confusing as hell for the live audience at the time.

First 9 - 2-28-2019 at 09:24 PM

Holyshit, seeing Bayley and Sasha back in NXT was so great. I'd forgotten that Bayley is pretty decent on the mic, no she's not The Rock, but she's earnest and just comes off as likeable.

Those horrible RAW scripts have screwed her over so much.

Slade - 3-5-2019 at 04:58 PM

I'm beyond pleased that The Velveteen Dream is now the North American Champion. Although, I think I would have liked him winning at Takeover even more.

It would have been cool to see Gargano and Ciampa defend their titles while also trying to win the Dusty Rhodes Classic or the Tag Team titles. And I could go either way on them winning everything or losing everything, but I wouldn't want them winning some and losing some on the same night. It would have had to have been all-or-nothing for me. I suppose it could still happen. Maybe Gargano gets a rematch. However, with them also appearing on RAW and Smackdown now, surely this upcoming Takeover will be their NXT farewell.

Also, I'm getting a kick out of the fact that both members of DIY can't do it yourself and seemingly haven't been able to throughout their entire run. They had success as a tag team. Then Ciampa got hurt, and Gargano went solo and always came up short. After a long, epic feud, they finally found other opponents. Ciampa won the NXT Championship with the inadvertent help of Gargano. Once again, Gargano couldn't win on his own, until Ciampa guided him over to the dark side, and now they're reuniting. Both of them have essentially done everything with other's help - unless they've been fighting each other - since day one.

And on one other note, I want to see more of Dominik Dijakovic vs. Keith Lee. That cyclone big boot and that Asai moonsault by Dijakovic were awesome. Thanks to that match between them last week, I now think Dijakovic is interesting for the first time ever. Maybe he's been interesting for a little while, but I've generally skipped his matches, as I thought he was pretty boring a few years ago when he was Donovan Dijak. Now, I see his potential.

SpiNNeR72 - 3-5-2019 at 11:36 PM

You need to check out their PWG stuff dude.

They are an interesting pair and worthy of discussion. Say they were given a chance to go out and do what they can do on the likes of RAW.

Where does that leave the rest of the big guys?

Now of course there is the "Miz/Bryan element" (guys that size can't wrestle like that 24/7 and be reliable year on year) but with some sensible booking, keeping the big spots for PPV, well, DAMN (TM) it's a spectacle.

Then on the other end it's the Dream.

I'm happy his first title is what it is. Patrick Clark is possibly the most driven guy we know of currently in WWE. And they are letting him grow, in the most humble of ways He is part of the long game, and so he should be,

Gobshite - 3-6-2019 at 05:12 PM

Guess this technically belongs here..

Ciampa apparently needs neck surgery & is out indefinitely. Guess he’ll vacate the title & a new champion will be crowned at Takeover New York. Chances are now we’ll never get to see the end of Gargano / Ciampa story. At least not in NXT.

SpiNNeR72 - 3-6-2019 at 06:21 PM

Thats a real fucking shame. There are many words to describe the Gargano/Ciampa angle but it has earned one thats very rarely used. Intelligent. He will be missed. Let's hope Johnny is the one who gets to "break his neck"..

the goon - 3-6-2019 at 06:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by SpiNNeR72
Let's hope Johnny is the one who gets to "break his neck"..

Yeah, it'll be interesting to see if Ciampa gets written out with an injury angle or if they go the "he cuts a promo that he needs neck surgery and vacates the NXT title" route.

And this really sucks and is terrible timing with NXT TakeOver: New York right around the corner, but I guess I'd say the silver lining here is that it'll be kind of exciting to have a guaranteed new NXT champion crowned WrestleMania weekend (even if that new champion is 95% likely to be Gargano).

CCharger - 3-6-2019 at 07:53 PM

If Ciampa were to stay in character, he would refuse to yield the title and force NXT to strip him of it. Then he'd leave with belt insisting he was the "real champ".

Then when he returns in in 8 to 12 months, it sets up a match against the recognized champion.

Slade - 3-6-2019 at 07:55 PM

I think that depends on if Gargano is getting called up for good. Perhaps the injury to Ciampa means he won't have a role on RAW or Smackdown, so putting the NXT Championship on him could be an interesting pivot. However, if he gets a permanent promotion in spite of losing his tag team partner, I think the NXT Championship ends up around the waist of Adam Cole.

Cherokee Jack - 3-6-2019 at 08:59 PM

WWE just posted that he’ll be having surgery tomorrow. I’m no doctor, but the brief description they gave included the word “fusion,” so it sounds pretty significant. Sounds like any fantasy booking of writing him out will be just that, as I can’t imagine he’ll be doing anything physical for a while.

Gobshite - 3-6-2019 at 10:33 PM

****SPOILERS****

Haven’t they already filmed a few episodes of NXT, and in the last episode
Filmed, DIY lost their dusty Rhodes classic match; and Gargano feigned injury, then attacked Ciampa / retaliated when Ciampa attacked him & threw him into the video wall or something? Seems like they could just use that.

Cherokee Jack - 3-7-2019 at 03:25 PM

I do love the Dusty Classic, and last night was a fun extended NXT with all of the first round matchups, but one thing bugged the shit out of me: during the Street Profits/Moustache Mountain match, when the Profits were setting up their spinebuster/frog splash combo, Montez Ford went to the wrong corner for the tag!

The crowd definitely seemed to pick up on it and got loud when he tagged in from MM’s corner, but neither the referee nor the announcers said a word. Probably shouldn’t bother me so much, but I’ve come to expect NXT to be the brand that actually takes the sport/competition aspect of wrestling somewhat seriously, and that’s a pretty blatant error to just ignore, especially when you consider that there’s all the opportunity in the world for Nigel or someone to go record a line or two of commentary to dub over that point.

CCharger - 3-7-2019 at 03:55 PM

* This should probably be in rumors, but in keeping with the Ciampa talk, Meltzer is reporting that a storyline for Ciampa's return from injury has already been written. I'm assuming that's an NXT storyline rather than WWE because there's isn't a whole lot to work with on the main roster.

Slade - 3-8-2019 at 02:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Cherokee Jack
I do love the Dusty Classic, and last night was a fun extended NXT with all of the first round matchups, but one thing bugged the shit out of me: during the Street Profits/Moustache Mountain match, when the Profits were setting up their spinebuster/frog splash combo, Montez Ford went to the wrong corner for the tag!

The crowd definitely seemed to pick up on it and got loud when he tagged in from MM’s corner, but neither the referee nor the announcers said a word. Probably shouldn’t bother me so much, but I’ve come to expect NXT to be the brand that actually takes the sport/competition aspect of wrestling somewhat seriously, and that’s a pretty blatant error to just ignore, especially when you consider that there’s all the opportunity in the world for Nigel or someone to go record a line or two of commentary to dub over that point.

Yeah, I noticed that, too. I thought it was stupid and I would have hated it if the Street Prophets got the win after tagging in from the wrong corner. Sure, they could have turned it into the principle reason for a feud between the Street Prophets and Moustache Mountain, but I don't see the point in that.

Anyhow, the only match that ended with an undesirable result was Team 1-2 vs. the Forgotten Sons. I hate the push that the Forgotten Sons are getting. They're better off forgotten.

janerd75 - 3-14-2019 at 09:47 PM

The card for Takeover: New York.

Adam Cole vs Johnny Gargano 2/3 Falls Match for the Vacant NXT Championship

Velveteen Dream vs Matt Riddle for the NXT North American Championship

Pete Dunne vs WALTER for the WWE United Kingdom Championship

Shayna Baszler vs Bianca Belair vs Kairi Sane vs Io Shirai for the NXT Womens Championship

War Raiders vs Dusty Rhodes Tag Team Classic Winners Aleister Black and Ricochet for the NXT Tag Team Championships

I'm already rating it s out of 5.

williamssl - 3-14-2019 at 10:31 PM

Yeah this is gonna be amazing. Just like every other one of these. My favorite "thing" about the big 4 WWE PPVs is that they have one of these before it.

Note to self: remember that this is Friday, not Saturday. Also 3:15pm Pacific so leave work early.

the goon - 3-15-2019 at 03:43 AM

It's a damn shame Ciampa/Gargano don't get to headline, but otherwise, that card is fucking SICK.

GodEatGod - 3-15-2019 at 03:49 AM

Gonna be a hard card to pick, too, with post-WM call-ups around the corner. War Raiders are probably the surest bet, but everything else is a toss-up.

janerd75 - 3-15-2019 at 04:34 AM

quote:
It's a damn shame Ciampa/Gargano don't get to headline, but otherwise, that card is fucking SICK.

Lol, so goon's a doctor now. Outside of Ciampa's injury and unless there's a meningitis outbreak we haven't heard aboot amongst the roster agayn, I'm pretty sure everyone else is healthy and good to compete on the card. Clearly goon, they are not down with the sickness. #OohWahAhAhAh

Also, in other Janews, meine pener ist swöllenthröbben for diese match...

CVD39 - 3-15-2019 at 08:18 AM

quote:
Originally posted by janerd75
The card for Takeover: New York.

Adam Cole vs Johnny Gargano 2/3 Falls Match for the Vacant NXT Championship

Velveteen Dream vs Matt Riddle for the NXT North American Championship

Pete Dunne vs WALTER for the WWE United Kingdom Championship

Shayna Baszler vs Bianca Belair vs Kairi Sane vs Io Shirai for the NXT Womens Championship

War Raiders vs Dusty Rhodes Tag Team Classic Winners Aleister Black and Ricochet for the NXT Tag Team Championships

I'm already rating it s out of 5.

Can you be careful with the spoilers? It’s still real to me damnit. Thanks. 1 of those matches I haven’t yet seen announced yet and I’m pretty sure no one thought the Forgotten Sons were beating Ricochet/Black, let alone fighting for the belts at the biggest Takeover of the year but still. For next time.

And yes. Stacked card. Takeovers just kill it every time.

janerd75 - 3-15-2019 at 05:00 PM

Whoops, sorry! Didn't know they were spoilers since it was plastered all over the web yesterday. I learn't it from CBS when I seen't their wrasslecoverage online. Now you know in advance what you're doing kegels and lubing your pener for and can explode all proper like in three weeks for the show. At least that's my plan.

CVD39 - 3-15-2019 at 09:11 PM

quote:
Whoops, sorry! Didn't know they were spoilers since it was plastered all over the web yesterday. I learn't it from CBS when I seen't their wrasslecoverage online. Now you know in advance what you're doing kegels and lubing your pener for and can explode all proper like in three weeks for the show. At least that's my plan.

Like I said, it wasn’t huge spoilers but just for next time.

Paddlefoot - 3-15-2019 at 09:22 PM

+5 though for really coming out of left field by recommending kegel exercises for men in order to improve ejaculation. rub-rub-women's match-rub-Bloorp! Golly!

Count Zero - 3-15-2019 at 10:44 PM

Dude. You should =always= be doing the kegels. That way you're not pissin' yerself all the time when you're old(er) and decrepit like... Um... I was going to throw somebody under the bus, but I can't really think of anybody specifically Old And Crusty to throw under the bus here.

Except maybe Teh Rix? But I don't wanna do that to OOur Host-with-the-most. He dun deserve dat. He'sa good Rick.

SomethingsomethingEvenWWE, brah?

bigfatgoalie - 3-15-2019 at 11:29 PM

williamssl is a cranky old coot.

Although given my time here is about to be measured in decades, I'm pretty sure I qualify as well. Or OOMike. Or salmonjunkie. Or Eli. Does anybody still talk to him?

SpiNNeR72 - 3-26-2019 at 08:16 PM

For the first time, I am not in the least excited for a Dunne PPV match.

Can anyone point me to the place on the youtubes where I might get a hint of why Walter has such a buzz surrounding him?

All I've seen so far is 80's style no selling and badly thrown chops. Cool as that can be in the right time and place, the UK title is used to better things..

Otherwise a stacked card indeed.

Fifth Horseman - 3-26-2019 at 08:49 PM

quote:
For the first time, I am not in the least excited for a Dunne PPV match.

Can anyone point me to the place on the youtubes where I might get a hint of why Walter has such a buzz surrounding him?

All I've seen so far is 80's style no selling and badly thrown chops. Cool as that can be in the right time and place, the UK title is used to better things..

Otherwise a stacked card indeed.

Seconded. Lot of hype, but his NXTUK work hasn't impressed me relative to the buzz.

Gobshite - 3-28-2019 at 05:11 PM

Walter vs Will Osprey

https://youtu.be/xIuiyypK1d8

https://youtu.be/FPTemrD73-w

Travis Banks
https://youtu.be/UGlSxxpDEHI

ZSJ
https://youtu.be/TwcGco1mZ04

Matt Riddle:
https://youtu.be/thrczqzn4Iw

Jordan Devlin:
https://youtu.be/cZVtb7Ua3E4

[Edited on 3-28-2019 by Gobshite]

First 9 - 3-28-2019 at 07:15 PM

It's really cool that Gargano vs Cole is a battle to crown NXT's first Triple Crown Champion. The parallels are great aswell, Cole has a better W-L record in Takeovers but his biggest wins came in chaotic multiman matches while Gargano might fall short more often than not but he has much more experience in big singles matches.

janerd75 - 3-29-2019 at 12:44 AM

quote:

... a hint of why Walter has such a buzz surrounding him?

Because his head makes it look like he's wearing a Wehrmacht ski cap without even wearing a hat.

niles81 - 3-29-2019 at 02:01 AM

quote:

Tyler Bate had an incredible match with Walter at the end of September last year (PROGRESS Hello Wembley). I was in attendance and it's up there with Sami Zayn vs Shinsuke Nakamura (NXT Takeover) and Pete Dunne vs Tyler Bate (untelevised match at a local promotion in Halifax, Nova Scotia) as one of the best matches I've seen live.

PROGRESS has it up as a free to watch feature on their streaming service. Here's the link:

https://demandprogress.pivotshare.com/media/walter-vs-tyler-bate-progress-world-title/79601/feature

janerd75 - 4-4-2019 at 05:37 PM

DKBroiler - 4-4-2019 at 05:47 PM

Can someone explain WALTER to me? While I support the use of random ALL-CAPS on occasion it seems silly to me that he wants me to yell his name 100% of the time.

I mean, “Boo WALTER” I get, but what if he randomly shares an Uber with me. Am I supposed to just yell “hello WALTER”? Would he be upset if I didn’t? Is WALTER an acronym for We All Lose The Exact Reason (for his missing last name)? Is WALTER Florida Man? Should I use Google instead? Is WALTER an agent of SHIELD? Is WALTER in the Shield? Am I?

CCharger - 4-4-2019 at 06:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by DKBroiler
Can someone explain WALTER to me? While I support the use of random ALL-CAPS on occasion it seems silly to me that he wants me to yell his name 100% of the time.

I mean, “Boo WALTER” I get, but what if he randomly shares an Uber with me. Am I supposed to just yell “hello WALTER”? Would he be upset if I didn’t? Is WALTER an acronym for We All Lose The Exact Reason (for his missing last name)? Is WALTER Florida Man? Should I use Google instead? Is WALTER an agent of SHIELD? Is WALTER in the Shield? Am I?

Little known fact: WALTER calls his dick "KENTA"

DKBroiler - 4-4-2019 at 06:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CCharger
quote:

Little known fact: WALTER calls his dick "KENTA"

janerd75 - 4-4-2019 at 07:38 PM

I dunno that I can pinpoint exactly what his appeal is to me. Perhaps it's that he harkens back to a simpler, purer time in wrasslin' and, like, y'know, other things as well.

*siiiiiiiigh* Just look at that powerful and authoritative jawline. Also, WALTER looks great there too.

DKBroiler - 4-4-2019 at 08:00 PM

Needs more Trump.

Paddlefoot - 4-5-2019 at 12:48 AM

quote:
I dunno that I can pinpoint exactly what his appeal is to me. Perhaps it's that he harkens back to a simpler, purer time in wrasslin' and, like, y'know, other things as well.

*siiiiiiiigh* Just look at that powerful and authoritative jawline. Also, WALTER looks great there too.

Kind of fucked up though by the sight of a million American GI's marching on the Unter den Linden in Berlin during the 1946 allied victory parade. But I get where you're coming from. I *sob* miss him too. [/lars]

Count Zero - 4-5-2019 at 04:16 AM

.... I knew I shouldn't have taken that (Alt-)right turn at Albequerque.

(Wow.. That reference is even more meta than I realized. From wikipedia:
In "Herr meets Hare," released in 1945, Bugs Bunny is trying to get to Las Vegas and accidentally happens to wind up in the Black Forests of Germany, and is hunted by Herman Goring. He complains that he should have taken a left turn in Albuquerque, and this is the first time the line is used. )

Slade - 4-5-2019 at 11:00 PM

I'm super excited for this show, which is starting in approximately 30 seconds.

That is all.

janerd75 - 4-5-2019 at 11:24 PM

Alrighty then what the h is going on here?! Late getting home from Walmart because some broad was hanging off the lightpole on the interstate overpass above the train tracks looking like she was going to jump and I was stuck in traffic.

I SoFla, bro. You shouldn't.

Also, Ricochet is stronk AF.

williamssl - 4-5-2019 at 11:33 PM

I fucking love NXT. I hate Black* and Ricochet. But this match is so good.

Also yay that the War Raiders won.

* He's white so I can say that and not have my comment be called racist. Well, it's the internet so ANYONE can call my comment racist. They'd be wrong. About that one comment at least.

janerd75 - 4-5-2019 at 11:37 PM

MRW I started reading your comment, but then you went and messed it all up.

bigfatgoalie - 4-5-2019 at 11:38 PM

It’s crazy how NXT keeps opening shows with MOTYC tag matches, featuring different teams.

That was silly good.

Also...did Ricochet think that it’s Festivus? Because that was an amazing feat of strength.

And a hell of a swan song for Black and Ricochet in NXT.

janerd75 - 4-5-2019 at 11:47 PM

Dream's rockin' curtain rods ends on his throne thingy.

EAT: Dream and Riddle are gonna be yuuuuuuuge in a couple years.

[Edited on 4-6-2019 by janerd75]

bigfatgoalie - 4-6-2019 at 12:10 AM

Yeah...those guys put on a hell of a match. Add their each having defined characters...what’s the over under on time before that’s not just a Mania match, but a Mania Main Event?

janerd75 - 4-6-2019 at 12:37 AM

Within 3 years at least. The charisma, size, and ability in those two dudes is off the charts.

WALTER... so, so dreamy.

DKBroiler - 4-6-2019 at 12:46 AM

I just turned on Takeover. There has been more psychology in the first 5 minutes of match one than the last 15 RAMs combined.

williamssl - 4-6-2019 at 12:46 AM

Wow.

Awesome match. But it is NXT so of course it was.

CM Crunk - 4-6-2019 at 12:48 AM

Is it weird that I'm more sold on WALTER than I am Matt Riddle?

janerd75 - 4-6-2019 at 12:52 AM

Them European boys are Old Skool AS FUCK. GLLY!

Also...

williamssl - 4-6-2019 at 12:53 AM

quote:
Originally posted by CM Crunk

Same.

janerd75 - 4-6-2019 at 12:54 AM

No it isn't, Crunkers. Also, CRUNKERS!!!!

bigfatgoalie - 4-6-2019 at 12:57 AM

I like to think Vince doesn’t watch NXT or NXT UK. And if that’s the case, I imagine this was Vince’s reaction to WALTER:

And yeah, WALTER looked great. If what was reported (he doesn’t want to work many North American dates) is true, Vince Wray go crazy offering WALTER to stars and the moon.

Also...Pete Dunne is main roster bound right?

DKBroiler - 4-6-2019 at 01:00 AM

That opener was roughly 147 stars. Jesus.

janerd75 - 4-6-2019 at 01:19 AM

Yeah, I think it's Dunne's time to get called up. I just hope as a little guy they let him be the new version of Mysterio that can hang with bigger dudes as evidenced by how well he meshed with WALTER. Just let him be WWE's Wolverine and he'll do great.

Vince definitely is gonna back up a money truck to get WALTER stateside. While not cut, he's everything Vince loves plus the added benefit of him being a modern Old School wrassler.

williamssl - 4-6-2019 at 01:20 AM

Didn’t expect a retain. Glad to see it tho

williamssl - 4-6-2019 at 01:22 AM

quote:
Yeah, I think it's Dunne's time to get called up. I just hope as a little guy they let him be the new version of Mysterio that can hang with bigger dudes as evidenced by how well he meshed with WALTER. Just let him be WWE's Wolverine and he'll do great.

Tyler Breeze needs a partner to resume feud with Ascension. Call him up.

bigfatgoalie - 4-6-2019 at 01:23 AM

The Sky Pirates vs Sasha and Bayley would be fun.

And nobody predicted Shana to win in the picks thread. I figured she was ready for a call up. I guess she has to babysit the other MMA Horsewomen until they become at least average. Shame really.

williamssl - 4-6-2019 at 01:31 AM

I am prematurely awarding this match of the year before it starts.

Go Johnny Wrestling!

DKBroiler - 4-6-2019 at 01:39 AM

I have no idea how Dream is alive. God damn this is a good subscribe per view. I’m putting the over under on total WWE championships for Ricochet, Black, Dream and Riddle at 29.5.

Slade - 4-6-2019 at 01:39 AM

quote:
Originally posted by CM Crunk

No, it isn't.

Count Zero - 4-6-2019 at 01:43 AM

Pete Dunne reminds me of Captain Caveman for some reason. This is not a bad thing, nor a slight against him. He just... reminds me of an obscure Hanna-Barbera cartoon character. That is all.

DKBroiler - 4-6-2019 at 01:52 AM

WALTER needs more clothes.

I just realized Matt Riddle technically had less clothes on than WALTER yet I never once thought that during his match.

[Edited on 4-6-2019 by DKBroiler]

janerd75 - 4-6-2019 at 01:53 AM

You shut your mouth he's beautiful as is.

ETA: Are those mooks... booing Johnny Wrestling?

[Edited on 4-6-2019 by janerd75]

williamssl - 4-6-2019 at 01:55 AM

Let the shenanigans commence for fall 3

janerd75 - 4-6-2019 at 02:09 AM

IT'S A SHENANIGANSFEST!!!!

williamssl - 4-6-2019 at 02:14 AM

Johnny Champion!!!

williamssl - 4-6-2019 at 02:20 AM

Great show as always. Loved loved loved the main event. 5 matches in 3.25 hours. Compelling from beginning to end. And Ciampa at the end.

This is how you do a fucking event.

bigfatgoalie - 4-6-2019 at 02:22 AM

Really good match. I’m not sure where you go with Cole or The Undisputed Era though. Don’t see them getting a fair shot on the main roster due to their size.

I expected Ciampa, and was partially thinking he’d hit Gargano.

Really good show. Tag match was my match of the night, but everything was very well done.

GodEatGod - 4-6-2019 at 02:38 AM

I was surprisingly not anticipating this one that much, just because I wasn't as emotionally invested in the matches as I usually am. But you can't argue with the work - everybody had their working boots on and the main event took me from "I don't really care" to "LEAVE JOHNNY ALONE YOU BASTARDS".

Kushida joining NXT makes me really happy, just because he's an amazing wrestler and, unlike a lot of NJPW guys, kind of got overlooked and has a chance to breakout more in NXT than he did in Japan.

janerd75 - 4-6-2019 at 02:48 AM

quote:
Great show as always. Loved loved loved the main event. 5 matches in 3.25 hours. Compelling from beginning to end. And Ciampa at the end.

This is how you do a fucking event.

At first I thought you got the time all wrong because I wasn't looking at a clock and I figured that whole show hummed along at just around 2 hours or so. Goddamn that was a crisp, quick, and fast-paced 3+ hours. This show, as they always are, was fantastic. Is it bad that I wan't the Old Man to kick so Papa Haitch can bring this goodness to the main stage?

DKBroiler - 4-6-2019 at 03:49 AM

That show was outrageous.

GodEatGod - 4-6-2019 at 05:13 AM

I think this show also overcame my Riddle skepticism. I still hate the Bro stuff and his dopey character, but god damn, that bastard can WRESTLE.

the goon - 4-6-2019 at 06:37 AM

quote:
Originally posted by GodEatGod
I think this show also overcame my Riddle skepticism. I still hate the Bro stuff and his dopey character, but god damn, that bastard can WRESTLE.

100% agree. This was my first time really catching Riddle (I've seen a little bit of his stuff with Ohno and that's it) and I was impressed. I like his in-ring style a lot, with it being kind of a MMA/pro wrestling hybrid and how aggressive he came across. I get not liking the "bro" gimmick (though I'm okay with it), but I'm a little perplexed by the comments about not being sold on him. I thought the dude was awesome tonight.

And I'm kind of surprised they had Ciampa come out for a kayfabe-breaking moment, but I thought it was cool. Considering he got screwed out of being in the main event due to his injury and all the stuff him and Gargano have been through together, it was a nice little epilogue.

As for the rest of the show, I don't have much else to add. The tag match was amazing, the main event was amazing, and NXT knocked it out of the park for like the millionth time.

CVD39 - 4-6-2019 at 09:02 AM

Just an amazing show. Why can’t the Main card be this fun and awesome? And I’m a believer in WALTER. Jesus H. Christ am I believer in WALTER.

And I gotta admit, I love Adam Cole and wanted him to win and after he kicked Gargano 3 times after the shenanigans, I actually clenched my fists and grr’ed out a “fuuuuhhhhck” when Johnny kicked out, knowing what that meant.

They marked me out, man. They marked me out.

DKBroiler - 4-6-2019 at 12:37 PM

To the shock of no one ... I get Matt Riddle and have no idea what the hype you guys have over WALTER is about, but whatevs. Great show!

marsrunner - 4-6-2019 at 04:37 PM

So I've seen Matt Riddle twice now, and while he is a tremendous athlete and the moves he hits are impressive, I just cannot get into his character. Some percentage of wrestling involves connecting with or enjoying the character, at least for me, and he is irritating as hell with his "Bro" gimmick. Every time I see him now I roll my eyes and kind of lose interest. I know, I'm about the only one, but that's fine. B
WALTER is also very meh. I just don't get it. Pete Dunne is great as usual. B
The women's match was okay, not great. I'm not sure what else you do with Bayzler other than move her to the main roster, she's that good. I'd love to see the Sky Pirates vs. Bayley and Banks, but hopefully on NXT. I don't really want them on the main roster because I feel like they'd get lost and buried. Bianca Belair is impressive in the ring, but similarly to Matt Riddle when she opens her mouth I completely lose interest. That double-team move she did to the Sky Pirates was impressive though. B+
The opening tag match was amazing and so much fun. I love the War Raiders (so does my duaghter!) and Aleister Black and Ricochet are both great too. Second best match of the night for me. A
The main event...good grief, the main event. So good, almost too much, but not quite. Just, wow. I don't even know how to describe that one. It was so good. And yeah, it was out of character, but the Ciampa bit at the end caused some kind of strange dampening around my eyes. Not sure what that's about. May have to get it checked out. Seriously, though, the only way this could have been better is if they'd been allowed to finish the Ciampa/Gargano story in the ring. Hopefully Ciampa gets better and can keep wrestling. He is so good its scary. A+
Not the best Takeover, but not really a bad match on the card. I'm sure its better than Wrestlemania will be, but that's nothing new.

williamssl - 4-6-2019 at 05:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by marsrunner
So I've seen Matt Riddle twice now, and while he is a tremendous athlete and the moves he hits are impressive, I just cannot get into his character. Some percentage of wrestling involves connecting with or enjoying the character, at least for me, and he is irritating as hell with his "Bro" gimmick. Every time I see him now I roll my eyes and kind of lose interest. I know, I'm about the only one, but that's fine.

Same. In ring he is great. I fucking hate his character though.

I was excited after the match because he looked like he was going to lose it and turn heel, which I immediately equated with him ditching the “bro” gimmick. Alas....

janerd75 - 4-7-2019 at 02:49 AM

GodEatGod - 4-7-2019 at 03:24 AM

quote:
Same. In ring he is great. I fucking hate his character though.

I was excited after the match because he looked like he was going to lose it and turn heel, which I immediately equated with him ditching the “bro” gimmick. Alas....

Might still be in the works. I figure Johnny's only holding the NXT title until Riddle gets a shot at it, one way or another. I wouldn't be surprised if he's champ by Summerslam.

Slade - 4-7-2019 at 07:00 PM

quote:
Posted by marsrunner
So I've seen Matt Riddle twice now, and while he is a tremendous athlete and the moves he hits are impressive, I just cannot get into his character. Some percentage of wrestling involves connecting with or enjoying the character, at least for me, and he is irritating as hell with his "Bro" gimmick. Every time I see him now I roll my eyes and kind of lose interest. I know, I'm about the only one, but that's fine.

You're not the only one. I don't understand why Riddle is so heavily cheered in Orlando. I guess they will literally cheer for everyone and anyone that goes through that Full Sail. He's the weirdest face on the roster. When I see him, I want to see his opponent punch his teeth down his throat. I don't think that's how we're supposed to react to a face.

SpiNNeR72 - 4-7-2019 at 07:59 PM

quote:
To the shock of no one ... I get Matt Riddle and have no idea what the hype you guys have over WALTER is about, but whatevs. Great show!

Agree 100%

Very sad Dunna had to lose to the 80's but I live in hope that WALTER has something that we just haven't seen yet. Massive props to Dune for getting a decent match out of the guy.

Biggest news for me (Fuck the Kushido guy whoever he is) - PIPER NIVEN!!!

Fuck yes! Best female wrestler on the planet bar Charlotte. Awesome!

CCharger - 4-8-2019 at 02:22 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CVD39
Just an amazing show. Why can’t the Main card be this fun and awesome?

What is really boils down to with Main Roster vs. NXT is that when Takeover rolls around every few months, fans are rewarded with their investment in the product. With the main roster, the weekly investment in the product is much higher, but the payoffs are fewer and farther between.

TownOfDalem - 5-3-2019 at 01:26 PM

I love how much time and energy they are putting into hyping up Kushida. The way the main roster has bungled Shinsuke and Asuka puts a small damper on my excitement level, but I'll enjoy he NXT stuff for now. I have to assume it's not a coincidence that he reportedly left NJPW because he wanted to be more then a Jr and the first person he wrestles on NXT is Ohno.

GodEatGod - 5-4-2019 at 07:08 AM

quote:
Originally posted by TownOfDalem
I love how much time and energy they are putting into hyping up Kushida. The way the main roster has bungled Shinsuke and Asuka puts a small damper on my excitement level, but I'll enjoy he NXT stuff for now. I have to assume it's not a coincidence that he reportedly left NJPW because he wanted to be more then a Jr and the first person he wrestles on NXT is Ohno.

Kushida, to me, is one of the most under the radar top tier guys there is. I don't always love his 'Back to the Future' fanboy gimmick, but the dude can GO in the ring and is a wonderful mix of technical and flying styles with lots of fun submissions to boot.

GodEatGod - 5-9-2019 at 11:32 AM

Just bumping to note that Riddle vs. Cole from this week's NXT was a damn fine wrestling match. Never has there been such a gulf for me between hating someone's character and loving their wrestling as much as Matt Riddle.

janerd75 - 6-1-2019 at 11:11 PM

Motherfudging FUDGE I almost forgot that AEW's true competitor NXT: Takeover was on tonight!

Roddy vs. Brooooooooo to start!

ETA: BR. Also, Rddy.

Still not used to Riddle barefoot wrasslin' though.

[Edited on 6-1-2019 by janerd75]

phansett - 6-1-2019 at 11:31 PM

IMO, it was a real solid opener. No surprise with Takeover.
I think Riddle needs to be called up and pushed to see if he has ‘IT’ on the main roster. He’s 33, not old for WWE, but age isn’t on his side with his style. Not sure what more seasoning is going to do for him in NXT.

standrir - 6-1-2019 at 11:31 PM

I'm someone that's never "got" Matt Riddle. But that match with Strong was insane. There were three or four moments where it looked like they were just kicking and elbowing each other in the face as hard as they could. Amazing strong style match. I like that NXT is reminding us who was the original "other promotion" WWE can't live up to.

janerd75 - 6-1-2019 at 11:35 PM

Riddle is so odd to me. He's good and all as a dopey pothead (implied, of course ) face but he seems like he could be a tweak away from being a tremendous sleazy jerkface heel.

ETA: Two questions: 1) Does Mauro have a level on his dial other than 11? And B) Is Beth available do announcing on Monday nights?

ETA2: Well that was fucking nuts. That was ladder-tastic.

Man oh man, future ironical ironies would abound should AEW truly take notice of what NXT has done and is doing and then replicated a variant of it for themselves and made it a success for their teevee show.

[Edited on 6-2-2019 by janerd75]

phansett - 6-2-2019 at 12:04 AM

Mauro did a full on homage to Joey Styles there for a minute.
Man, not every match is OMG 9/5 stars!!1!, but it doesn’t have to be. It’s just.. fun. It saddens me Raw and often SD are so offputting. NXT has kept me around WWE lately.

janerd75 - 6-2-2019 at 12:20 AM

I've gotten more consistent tingles in my nethers in the first hour of this show than in the past few RAMs and SDs combined. Sure, it's their "PPV" show and they have more leeway with taping leading up to it, but still, the stories are consistent, non-insulting, and these dudes are throwing the fuck down. Oh also, no Vince, so there's that too.

I worry less about Mauro's shtick getting old with the hyper-hyperbole than I am with him having a massive stroke on air if he doesn't tone it down a bit. If Tony Schiavone and Joey Styles somehow had a child (hey it's Current Year, it's possible bigots) and that child was given a healthy dose of methamphetamines and anti-depressants, it would grow up to be Mauro.

ETA: Hmm. Dream/Tyler was good but not quite "there". They have a while to dance around with each other though. I think them going on after that psychotic ladder match probably didn't help either.

ETA2: For a 57-year-old woman, my love Shayna is both fearsome and amazing!

Also, Candace just so natural at pro wrasslin' it becomes that much realer when she's around.

phansett - 6-2-2019 at 12:51 AM

I don’t watch all the weeklies, but VD’s matches always seem a little bit ‘off’ on Takeover’s. He’s not dead to me, character is connecting and he sells out for it, but I have some trouble getting on board with him.
Baroness Corbin with another win. Meh. Moonsault with chair was a cool spot for Io.

janerd75 - 6-2-2019 at 12:59 AM

Lol, Baroness Corbin.

Yeah, for as many issues folks seem to have about Riddle I have them about Dream. Something isn't connecting for me. He's good and all, but there's an "offness" there I can't quite place. Might just be a taste thing, I dunno.

ETA: I absolutely loves me some Adam Cole, but does anyone else see something weird about his fatass body? Like his arms are perfectly proportionately scaled down compared to the rest of his body? Like somebody ripped off the arms of a G.I. Joe action figure and glued them on to a He-Man action figure? No? Just me?

phansett - 6-2-2019 at 01:19 AM

Yep, teeny tiny arms. Handsome lad, but disfigured.
Am I the only one not liking Gargano’s Wonder Woman or Captain Marvel or whatever it is cosplay? Shoulda been Candace.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-F2E4-qrNXTA/UMlo3CDp2zI/AAAAAAAAD9M/IyUGQamBVek/s1600/Hasbro1960sGIJoe.jpg

[Edited on 6-2-2019 by phansett]

[Edited on 6-2-2019 by phansett]

janerd75 - 6-2-2019 at 01:39 AM

Yeah, it does seems like that should be Candace's gear.

Also, and I can't stress this enough, ADAM COLE BAYBAY!!!!

OORick - 6-2-2019 at 03:15 AM

I had no idea this show started at 7pm (eastern). That seems silly, since it's not a Sunday, and nobody has to wake up for work tomorrow. And it's summer, so people might still be out doing daytime stuff on a Saturday.

But who cares, it's the WWE Network, I can on-demand it, even if that makes me be and hour-plus behind the rest of you....

Really good show. Only match that didn't hit expectations was Velveteen/Breeze, and even then, I think it told the story it had to. Welcome to Tyler Breeze v2.0: The Tommy Dreamer Years. Former pretty-boy suddenly has all black ring-gear and a rougher edge, takes an ass-whupping and even starts bleeding at random, and when it's all done, he STILL hasn't ever won a title for the promotion he loves? Yep, that checks all the boxes.

Tag match: great, tons of innovation.

Women's match: really good, but the tag ending cinched it for me.

Main event: I have no words. OK, I have some words: it would have been fair to say that topping the 3 falls match from Mania weekend should have been impossible. But that was before Shawn Michaels went and had a brainstorm in which he envisioned himself at his peak, and then fantasy booked his masterpiece match, in which he wrestled himself, also at his peak.

Oh, lordy, the superkicks! So many superkicks!

If HBK, Cole, and Gargano didn't spend hours sitting around coming up with all that crazy shit, I will eat one of my infamous bugs.

the goon - 6-2-2019 at 04:03 AM

Great show as per usual with NXT, but I was kind of hoping for something big to happen since this was the 25th TakeOver, whether that was a surprise debut or someone from the main roster showing up (like Rollins did a few years back). That's a small complaint though and otherwise I give tonight's show a full thumbs up.

A few random thoughts:

-I've only seen Matt Riddle in a few matches at this point, but I'm totally sold on the guy. I get why the "bro" gimmick would be a turnoff to some, but man, I just love his in-ring style. His match with Strong tonight was fantastic and one day I'd love to see Riddle and Lesnar beat the shit out of each other for 15 minutes (since I know Riddle has stated before that he wants to be the one to retire Lesnar).

-Dream/Breeze was maybe a notch below what I was hoping, but it was still a good match (plus they had the unenviable task of following Riddle/Strong and the ladder match). I'm kind of curious to see what they do in the long term with Velveteen Dream, as I kind of always assumed he was a lock for the NXT title at some point, but it seems like that might not be something we see for a little while longer.

-Amazing main event between Gargano and Cole and if it didn't top their match from WrestleMania weekend, it came about as close as possible to matching it. I'm a little surprised they took the belt off of Gargano already after his long journey to the top, but it did kind of seem like that now was the time to run with Adam Cole as champion. I'm assuming we get the rubber match at the TakeOver before SummerSlam, unless they decide to put Riddle or Dream in the number one contender's spot instead.

GodEatGod - 6-2-2019 at 04:40 AM

The tag ladder match was the high point for me. Some crazy bumps in there and I was rooting for the Profits to win. Montez Ford, to me, has this amazing ceiling with his athletic ability and charisma. He's special.

Also special: Velveteen Dream. Duh.

The Forgotten Sons should be sent up to main to be Baron Corbins even less charismatic henchdudes. Get these guys some waistcoats.

Count Zero - 6-2-2019 at 07:10 PM

quote:
The Forgotten Sons should be sent up to main to be Baron Corbins even less charismatic henchdudes. Get these guys some waistcoats.
I've even got a Faction Name for them: The Black Hole of Charisma.

DevilSoprano - 6-2-2019 at 07:44 PM

Talking shit about the Forgotten Sons after last night boggles my mind. I get that they may seem generic, but last night was a great showing for them. I actually think that because of Ryker, they may be the team that came out of that match looking the best. And to compare anyone to Baron Corbin, whether it's the Sons or Shayna is just fucking stupid. Shayna's the best heel in the company and the Sons are light years better than anything Corbin has ever done.

williamssl - 6-3-2019 at 12:51 AM

Just finished watching. Great show as always. I’m curious with this one being “off cycle” i.e. not before one of the “big 4” WWE events what plans are going forward for how many/year they run and when...or if this was a one-off off-schedule thing.

Disappointed but not surprised at the main event outcome. Guessing this is what would have happened had Ciampa not gone out....Gargano wins over Ciampa at the last one then faces Cole for first time here and loses.

Regardless, watch if you haven’t, in particular the Ladder match and main event if you don’t have 2.5 hours....but honestly if you’re watching RAM trade off and watch this tmo night instead and then catch whatever clips and highlights are worth it the next day. No sense sitting through RAM and choosing not to go back and watch this.

GodEatGod - 6-3-2019 at 01:21 AM

quote:
Talking shit about the Forgotten Sons after last night boggles my mind. I get that they may seem generic, but last night was a great showing for them. I actually think that because of Ryker, they may be the team that came out of that match looking the best. And to compare anyone to Baron Corbin, whether it's the Sons or Shayna is just fucking stupid. Shayna's the best heel in the company and the Sons are light years better than anything Corbin has ever done.

I love Shayna.

And nah.

They're perfectly fine workers (so is Corbin). Ryker's probably got the best chance with some physical charisma and look. But I can barely remember the other two's names, much less tell them apart. They didn't drag the match down, but they just don't offer enough to stand out (yet, they could turn it around. I used to not like Tyler Breeze and now I love me some Breezey).

OORick - 6-3-2019 at 02:38 AM

quote:
Just finished watching. Great show as always. I’m curious with this one being “off cycle” i.e. not before one of the “big 4” WWE events what plans are going forward for how many/year they run and when...or if this was a one-off off-schedule thing.

For now, the party line is "one off schedule thing." It was the 25th Takeover, and they wanted it to stand on its own, just like the very first one (which, if you recall, took place on a random Wednesday in February; if you don't, that's OK, but *I* remember, because I underwent my Major Surgical Event on a random Monday in February, and signing up for the WWE Network was pretty much the first thing I did that I can remember, post-anesthesia-hangover).

But I've heard more than once that the non-party-line is that they wouldn't mind uncoupling Takeover from WWE PPV weekends. Although Vince is most well-behaved at NXT shows, he's still there if it's a PPV weekend, and I gather that leads to a bit of walking-on-eggshells, unlike at Full Sail TV tapings. Last night, even though Takeover was only about 45 minutes from Vince's house, he didn't attend, and everybody had a delightful time backstage.

This is where NXT (potentially) moving to FOX could be a double-edged sword, and trust me, HHH knows it. Whether it's weekly TV or quarterly/semi-monthly Takeovers (both of which are on the table for a Saturday night FS1 timeslot), if NXT leaves the Network, it's widely accepted that Vince would suddenly decide that he simply MUST bring his Stable Genius to fix that which is not broken.

And I can state, with authority, that nobody who has anything to do with NXT wants to deal with that happy crappy. Even HHH has been less than subtle in talking about how much value NXT has to The Network (it IS the 2nd most valuable thing they have, behind PPVs themselves) when people ask him about NXT to FOX.

So this is why, non-party-line-wise, there might be some interest in insulating NXT from the rest of the WWE machine, and getting Takeovers to stand-alone (instead of being an add-on to PPV weekends) would be a big step. [Obviously, for destination events like Mania, and possibly Rumble or SummerSlam, you want to book a full weekend of action for out-of-towners, but 3 or 4 stand alone events per year would be cool. One of them -- WarGames -- is already an NXT staple that needs no WWE PPV to make it appealing. I bet we could brainstorm 3 more.]

CVD39 - 6-3-2019 at 09:35 AM

I don’t know how it’s possible for every Takeover to be better than the last, but dang, they are. Love ladder matches and all those guys busted ass (I even enjoyed The Forgotten Sons and totally microplay everything Dev said).

I was surprised and giddy as a school girl at Adam Cole (BAYBAY!) winning. Amazing match and I loved how it was a clean finish. Rare for a heel.

I could honestly take or leave Matt Riddle but some of you guys are crazy; Velveteen Dream is pretty much priceless.

And why did The Viking War Machine Raider Experience try to relinquish the titles, get talked into a match with the Street Profits who dissed them, and then fucked off to Maui after others showed up? Looks like they ran away when the odds looked stacked against them (and add to that that they have been absent from RAW ever since......right? I’m only half paying attention on Monday nights).

SpiNNeR72 - 6-3-2019 at 12:33 PM

quote:
The tag ladder match was the high point for me. Some crazy bumps in there and I was rooting for the Profits to win. Montez Ford, to me, has this amazing ceiling with his athletic ability and charisma. He's special.

I've been saying for a while that Ford has the elusive "it". The little touches he does. During SP matches I have as much fun watching him on the apron as when he's in the ring!

All the matches were top notch last night. Not a Breeze fan so Dreams match wasn't my favourite as it ususally is, but I love the way they (this is how I see it) are feeding Dream a variety of opponents, giving him all the experience he can get. He's a long term project and a great WWE story for the future.

DevilSoprano - 6-3-2019 at 01:04 PM

quote:
quote:

I love Shayna.

And nah.

They're perfectly fine workers (so is Corbin). Ryker's probably got the best chance with some physical charisma and look. But I can barely remember the other two's names, much less tell them apart. They didn't drag the match down, but they just don't offer enough to stand out (yet, they could turn it around. I used to not like Tyler Breeze and now I love me some Breezey).

Couldn't disagree more, both about Corbin even reaching fine levels or the Sons being just fine. Blake's just as good as Murphy and Murphy was in the running for one of the best wrestles in the company before he disappeared after losing the 205 title. And not everyone has to "stand out" to be good. I don't think Dash & Dawson "stand out" but I do believe the Revival is one of the best tag teams in the company. And can you tell the Usos apart? I'm not sure how that matters if they are good in the ring, tell believable stories in the ring, and are capable of playing the role they've been put into. They can do all of that. Corbin does none of that.

DKBroiler - 8-10-2019 at 11:18 PM

Montez Ford is $$$

Edit - this is the best non-gimmick tag match I’ve seen in months.

[Edited on 8-10-2019 by DKBroiler]

williamssl - 8-10-2019 at 11:25 PM

Indeed he is. Fun opener. Champs retain.

DKBroiler - 8-10-2019 at 11:30 PM

quote:
Indeed he is. Fun opener. Champs retain.

O’Reilly is a master at ring psychology. Really good battle of size and speed vs technical mastery. Very fun for sure.

Cherokee Jack - 8-10-2019 at 11:45 PM

Thinking back on it, if there was a weak spot in the early era of Takeovers it was probably the tag title scene. The Ascension and the Lucha Dragons and Blake and Murphy and such were all varying degrees of fine, but those were almost always the one title match that wasn’t especially memorable, where once it was over you’d just be like “well, that was there.”

But basically ever since we got to the Revival and American Alpha and DIY etc, the tag titles have been on an incredible run, and tonight was no exception. It’s almost as if *gasp* tag teams can actually play an important role and be drawing attractions!

DKBroiler - 8-10-2019 at 11:54 PM

That was a damn fine lady match!

janerd75 - 8-11-2019 at 12:06 AM

Why is there a gotdanged Ball-In-Hoop celebration or even a mere mention of it on my wrasslin' program?!

Cherokee Jack - 8-11-2019 at 12:08 AM

No one these days pulls off the Big Event Entrance better than the Dream.

And yes, I was singing along loud and proud.

CamstunPWG187 - 8-11-2019 at 12:38 AM

Third fall potentially being in a cage?

Booooooring

Cherokee Jack - 8-11-2019 at 12:50 AM

A barbed wire weapon cage?

I’m listening...

CamstunPWG187 - 8-11-2019 at 12:54 AM

Ain’t watching since work and all, but I hear Yim and Bazler ain’t lighting the ring on fire right now.

DevilSoprano - 8-11-2019 at 01:31 AM

I enjoyed it quite a bit but that's because I was buying into Mia as having a legit chance to win the title tonight but once she lost, I understood why a portion of the crowd might not have been into it. It's very similar to Asuka's last few defenses...when you don't think the challenger has a chance of winning, you have less invested in the quality of the match. This is twice now to me where WWE/NXT has booked themselves into a corner with their women's champion and there are now no believable challengers left. Asuka dominated/buried the division so much that they had to promote Billie, Peyton, Nikki, and Ruby because none of them could be bought as champs in NXT. Shayna is now getting there with having beat Io 3 times, Mia clean without help, Bianca having not been a believable challenger to start and having Candice lose to Io leaves the top of the card with no one who can face Shayna unless you go heel/heel with Io and I just don't see that being good.

Anyway, my point...the match was quite good because I bought into Mia. I'm not sure I'll like Shayna's next match no matter who it is against because I am beginning to think she vacates the belt when she gets promoted, i.e. Asuka, Viking Whatever, etc.

DKBroiler - 8-11-2019 at 01:40 AM

Barbwire cage match?

DKBroiler - 8-11-2019 at 01:49 AM

This might be the best match I’ve ever seen ...

[Edited on 8-11-2019 by DKBroiler]

janerd75 - 8-11-2019 at 01:59 AM

ALL muh fuggin' GOLLY!s for that one!

DKBroiler - 8-11-2019 at 01:59 AM

That was the best match in WWE history.

I don’t even know what to say. Cole and Gargano are just completely outrageous, insane, talented, batshit completely insane, amazing, totally completely out of their mind insane, great and lastly, insane. 5 stars ... or 10 ... or 100. I have no idea. WWE match of the year is closed.

[Edited on 8-11-2019 by DKBroiler]

williamssl - 8-11-2019 at 02:04 AM

Great match. Kudos to both for everything that went into that.

GodEatGod - 8-11-2019 at 02:22 AM

Insane main event. I was kind of lukewarm on yet another round of Gargano/Cole, but holy shit, they made the most of it. Two guys going to absolute war and taking everything from one another, with both coming out looking like a million bucks. All the stars.

I love Io/Candice, too. Io is a killer heel. Skip the delay and send her upstairs to kick Bayley in the face, please.

Yim/Shayna had some awkward spots, but told a good story. Really solid selling from Shayna, where you could see both the pain from the move and her frustration as it limited her offense. Pretty sure they're saving the big triumphant win for Dakota Kai whenever she comes back, which would be a full circle two year story from Shayna terrorizing Kai and breaking her arm in her NXT debut.

Oh, and the other two matches were also great. Velveteen Dream is God. Kyle O'Reilly may lowkey be one of my favorite wrestlers in the world. Montez Ford is going to be a top star. This show was crazy good and seeing some people on Twitter bashing it is making my head spin.

williamssl - 8-11-2019 at 02:43 AM

quote:

Booooooring

Winner: uninformed post of the day.

Exciting when announced.

Fucking awesome in execution.

the goon - 8-11-2019 at 03:14 AM

Welp, Cole/Gargano III was about as awesome as would be expected. Those two are the definition of "fight forever" and I think my only very minor complaint about tonight is that I was kind of expecting some kind of big end of the show moment (since this was the TakeOver before SummerSlam), like Ciampa coming out and staring down Cole or something.

And I do think that it's probably time for Gargano to move up to the main roster, because what's really left for him to do in NXT at this point?

quote:
Really solid selling from Shayna, where you could see both the pain from the move and her frustration as it limited her offense.

I've only seen a handful of Shayna's matches, but I mentioned to my brother during her match tonight that I thought her selling was really good as well.

DevilSoprano - 8-11-2019 at 03:34 AM

Shayna is everything they wish Ronda was without the name recognition and I say that not as a slight to Ronda but just how fucking well Shayna has taken to wrestling, promos, storytelling, and everything involved in the business.

CamstunPWG187 - 8-11-2019 at 03:39 AM

quote:
quote:

Booooooring

Winner: uninformed post of the day.

Exciting when announced.

Fucking awesome in execution.

Hey hey hey now, before my posts, I wasn’t reading ANYTHING about barbede being involved.

CVD39 - 8-12-2019 at 09:06 AM

Just watched Takeover and then SummerSlam. One was far better than the other. And boy, I was thinking that that was pretty much one of if not THE greatest match I had ever seen. I just hope Cole can translate over to the main roster eventually and not get the Bobby Roode treatment.

ejspoon - 8-12-2019 at 11:50 AM

Judging by the reaction he got in the 2018 Royal Rumble, Cole has a good a chance as anyone to be just as over on the main roster. He also has a bit of an Elite rub as well from his Bullet Club Days.

Disclaimer - I'm a huge Adam Cole mark, since his first run with the RoH title.

CamstunPWG187 - 8-12-2019 at 12:27 PM

Cole’s in-ring work runs circles around Roode (the most overrated wrestler of all time).

He’s just too small, unfortunately. Vince will tower over him and laugh. And it’ll suck.

Adam Cole is the shit, but he might suffer from being cut from the Austin Aries cloth in terms of his size.

Maybe one day 205 Live will matter and get a presence somewhere on the main roster.

CCharger - 8-12-2019 at 12:50 PM

Gargano and Cole might be the best wrestlers in terms of pure ring work than anyone else on the roster, Bryan included. Unfortunately, I think Cam is right. Vince will never see them as anything except pre-show performers and fodder for guys like Roman and Corbin.

bigfatgoalie - 8-12-2019 at 06:33 PM

Billed height = 6’1”
Billed weight = 225lbs

Billed height = 6’0”
Billed weight = 210lbs

Billed height = 5’11”
Billed weight = 218lbs

Billed height = 5’11”
Billed weight = 190lbs

Billed height = 5’10”
Billed weight = 210lbs

Which one is AJ, Balor, Bryan, Cole and HBK?

Cole can do fine as long as he avoids injury in his title win ala Balor. I mean Vince let Rollins (billed as 6’1” and 217lbs) beat Lesnar MULTIPLE times.

And if you are concerned, buy a fucking Cole t-shirt. Get a camera side ticket to RAW or SmackDown and bring an “ADAM COLE BAY-BAY!” sign with you. Or get a Nielsen box and tune in to NXT on FS1. Or watch Adam Cole matches on the WWE Network (free for new subscribers) every day.

But stop saying a guy who is bigger than Rey Mysterio, and comparable to Balor, Bryan, HBK, Rollins and Styles will never get pushed under Vince. Will Vince prefer a guy like Roman or Brock? Sure. But the evidence shows he will let guys who are “smaller” get the top strap.

CCharger - 8-12-2019 at 08:37 PM

I'll make a bet with you...

If Adam Cole or Johnny Gargano win either the WWE Championship or Universal Championship with Vince McMahon Jr. (noted large, muscular man fetishist) still running the company, I will personally suck your dick.

DKBroiler - 8-12-2019 at 08:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CCharger
I'll make a bet with you...

If Adam Cole or Johnny Gargano win either the WWE Championship or Universal Championship with Vince McMahon Jr. (noted large, muscular man fetishist) still running the company, I will personally suck your dick.

While I’ll decline the offer, the current WWE champ is what, 6 feet even and maybe 215 lbs?

It may take a while but there is way more evidence that Gargano will win the WWE championship within 3 years than that he’ll be stuck facing Drew Gulak.

Seriously man, your take is outdated and a willful ignorance of facts.

Side note ... Strowman should be a mult-time WWE or Universal Champion by now and he has exactly 0 individual titles.

He has a Brock fetish because he’s the biggest draw in the world outside of The Rock. He has an Indian money fetish that explains both Jinder and Khali. Aside from those two, what bigger guy has been a world champ in the last 20 years who didn’t deserve it?

If you say Big Show, Nash, Kane or Taker ...

All those guys deserved it. Who is left?

[Edited on 8-12-2019 by DKBroiler]

Cherokee Jack - 8-12-2019 at 09:08 PM

Goldberg? *shrug*

I get it, legend and all that, but 2017 Goldberg certainly didn’t deserve a world title run.

Cole I could see potentially reaching that level, especially if he and the Era maintain the level of heat and push that they have in NXT. Gargano, man...I want to say he’d at least get the chance to chase and eventually have a short token run like he did in NXT but I just can’t see it.

And not that it reflects on these guys’ ability, but the track record of guys coming out of NXT is not great. The Shield guys obviously did great, but I hardly count that because they took on an entirely different gimmick upon coming up. The history of guys coming up from NXT and bringing their existing character with them is littered with guys who get strong pushes off the bat only to be cast aside not long after, to guys that Vince just doesn’t “get” and who never really even get out of the starting gate.

bigfatgoalie - 8-12-2019 at 10:46 PM

Yeah there are plenty of guys who haven’t gotten pushes. But...

Shield
Bray
KO
Balor

Are all former WWE/Universal champs.

Sami, Andrade, Ricochet, and Black have been used well. Nakamura’s in ring performance has been dropping since the Sami match, and he’s still got 2 runs with the US title and is currently holding the IC Title.

Are their women who haven’t been used well ? Yes. But...

Charlotte
Becky
Bayley
Sasha
Bliss
Carmella

Is Ruby Riott not getting a run in the last year that bad?

If you want a valid complaint, tag teams who get called up have been the real Vince gonna Vince examples.

SpiNNeR72 - 8-16-2019 at 08:28 PM

The problem Gargano will have on the main shows is that his really strong point (more than most, and linked to Ciampa) is long subtle story arcs.

That works in NXT as several shows are taped at the same time so drastically changing things at the last minute is impossible even if Vince were that interested.

The main roster doesn't work that way, or didn't. There is a noteable improvement on RAW, however long it lasts, but SD is still be rewritten on the day.

DK is dead right in that size is no longer an issue. However I thing Cole has a better chance than Gargano simply because he looks like HBK....

williamssl - 8-29-2019 at 03:08 AM

Undisputed Era new tag champs. Street Profits “official” call up or...

GodEatGod - 8-30-2019 at 01:59 AM

quote:

Really good episode, too.
The tag title change
Keith Lee vs. Dominik Dijakovic in a super-athletic hoss battle
Io Shirai murdering a jobber
Rhea Ripley coming out and pretty much throwing down the gauntlet at Shayna Baszler
William Regal dismissing Mia Yim's complaint about getting jumped by basically noting that she started it and what did she expect?

OORick - 8-30-2019 at 04:11 AM

quote:

I'll take "or" for $800, Alex.

NXT has this TV show on prime time TV, now. And it's twice as long as the niche streaming thingie they were doing. As much as Heyman likes them, my guess now is that they are gonna keep being table-setters/hype-men on RAW (nothing more), and recast as among the absolute top babyfaces on an NXT that starts out hopelessly dominated by the Evil Undisputed Era, but where good guys emerge to form an alliance JUSTINTIME~! for WarGames in November.

Which is as it should be.

Rhea Ripley instantly helps with the depth issue that NXT's women have.... but I gotta second the opinion that, holy crap-for-crap, this re-invented version of Io Shirai has started pressing all the right buttons to tap into all sorts of exciting new places. Including several that are not my pants.

SpiNNeR72 - 8-30-2019 at 03:13 PM

quote:
The problem Gargano will have on the main shows is that his really strong point (more than most, and linked to Ciampa) is long subtle story arcs.

That works in NXT as several shows are taped at the same time so drastically changing things at the last minute is impossible even if Vince were that interested.

Fuck.

GodEatGod - 8-30-2019 at 03:35 PM

quote:

I don't know that I agree. The Ciampa/Gargano feud was TOO long and not really that subtle. I enjoyed it a lot early on and that interested waned. Same with Johnny/Adam Cole. The matches were always great because they're all great workers and you're never going to get less than that from them on a Takeover. But has he been booked that great? Not...really.

That's not to say I expect better on main. I really don't think he'll translate well. I think he'd be better off staying in NXT and being a vanguard signature star of the new brand. But I also think he shouldn't be anywhere near the main belt for while, so...where does he go?

First 9 - 8-30-2019 at 05:41 PM

quote:
, so...where does he go?

Becomes the NXT Shawn Michaels who doesn't need the Title to be in the main event?

bigfatgoalie - 8-31-2019 at 07:15 PM

So the NXT UK triple threat tag match was fantastic.

Having the hometown baby faces win the title went over well with the crowd.

bigfatgoalie - 9-1-2019 at 02:52 PM

Double post because...

WALTER vs Bate is the current MOTY.

Amazing storytelling, ring psychology, and lots of false finishes in a truly epic match. Just fantastic.

CVD39 - 9-2-2019 at 07:53 AM

quote:
Originally posted by bigfatgoalie
Double post because...

WALTER vs Bate is the current MOTY.

Amazing storytelling, ring psychology, and lots of false finishes in a truly epic match. Just fantastic.

Only drawback was I was 100% positive Bates wasn’t going over. It was a great match with some brutal spots but it wasn’t Gargano/Cole (which I had no idea who was going over). Gotta admit, I haven’t watched a whole lot of NXTUK lately but they’re still setting up Walter and don’t seem ready to move on yet.

Great match, though.

[Edited on 9-2-2019 by CVD39]

SpiNNeR72 - 9-4-2019 at 02:34 PM

I came on here to largely echo the sentiment of MOTY but ENTIRELY down to Tyler Bate.

He managed to put on a 45 minute classic match pretty much all on his own. A truly remarkable feat, which was clearly not lost on the crowd nor organisers for how the end of the show was handled.

I have seen more than enough of Walter now, and still can't see anything but a blundering big man with no upside except a cool vaguely Nazi way of standing during promos.

Just imagine how incredible that match could have been with almost anyone else in it!

A great show all in all, and especially glad to see Kay Lee Ray get the belt, lets hope the Viper feud gets the NXT treatment next.

Cherokee Jack - 9-4-2019 at 03:35 PM

WALTER seems to be a polarizing figure around here. I’d strongly disagree that Bate is fully responsible for that match being as good as it was. I love Bate and he’s an incredible talent (at only 22!), but WALTER more than held up his end of the match.

With the beginning of their live TV run coming up and War Games likely on deck for the next Takeover, I’d love to see Imperium show up on 9/18 and begin a build toward Imperium vs Undisputed in War Games. It’d be very interesting to see who the crowd would back in that setting. Does the Era end up as the babyfaces defending “their” NXT against the UK invaders? Or does the crowd get behind Imperium?

Hell if WWE decides they want a true babyface team in the match you could add Bate, Seven, Dunne and a fourth guy from NXT (Matt Riddle?) as a group looking to take down both of the heel factions at once.

SpiNNeR72 - 9-8-2019 at 08:30 AM

I like the idea and my fantasy booking would be to add the Bomber to the Strong Style team.

Yeah Walter is odd, for me anyway, as even if I don't like a style (Japanese being a perfect example) I can appreciate the performer. Walter is different, as much as I want to, being a big fan of NXT UK, I just can't find an upside to latch on to. I keep hoping someone here will explain it to me!

In other NXT gossip, which has been alluded to elsewhere but this is the place for it. Anyone else think that NXT could give the other two brands a short sharp shock if, and only if, they can maintain the style of TV when they go live?

For a few years now, NXT has been by far my favourite wrestling show, and has gotten a few of my friends who had given up on the old shows back on board with wrestling in general.

My fear is that the consistency and long story arcs get fucked up due to the weekly nature of things, which would be a great shame. I know many here aren't fans of long angles but to me a couple of years of subtle build is way better than a 5 minute Ziggler promo to try to invest you in him getting speared (good as he is).

Slade - 9-14-2019 at 09:39 AM

WALTER is great at what he does. I'm afraid I can't put it into words to convince you of that. I guess I just feel the exact opposite about him as you do. His matches with Dunne and Bate have been outstanding and I look forward to seeing him battle other guys like Dave Mastiff, Cesaro, or maybe even Sheamus (if he were cleared to wrestle and sent there temporarily to headline a future Takeover).

Now, Dunne and Bate are phenomenal talents, but I don't think they're solely responsible for making their matches versus WALTER so good. I'd agree if WALTER only had one opponent with which he was able to have great matches, but that's not been the case. Here, I'm thinking of Psycho Sid Justice. He was terrible in any match that went more five minutes unless it was against Shawn Michaels. He and Michaels had some excellent matches. The same can't be said of Sid vs. Bret Hart or anyone else. That makes me credit HBK for having the magic touch. Dunne and Bate might both be better than WALTER, but neither one of them are carrying a lug across the finish line with them. WALTER's holding his own in there, helping his opponents across the finish line with ease.

CVD39 - 9-15-2019 at 12:28 AM

Anyone else notice that the show on Wednesday will be an hour on USA and then an hour on the Network?

nOOb - 9-15-2019 at 01:33 AM

They’re doing that for this week and next week, which I guess works if you have the Network, but if you’re like me and you don’t, it means WWE.com highlights Thursday morning here we come.

CVD39 - 9-15-2019 at 05:50 AM

quote:
Originally posted by nOOb
They’re doing that for this week and next week, which I guess works if you have the Network, but if you’re like me and you don’t, it means WWE.com highlights Thursday morning here we come.

I think it’s pretty genius until you realize you’re only missing 2 hours of the show going forward.

OORick - 9-16-2019 at 03:33 AM

Yeah, no gamesmanship from WWE on this one.... the two weeks of 1 hour USA shows is all at USA's end, and related to how they sold ad time.

The thing I *do* like is that WWE kept next-day digital rights to NXT (unlike RAW, which USA/NBCU gets for 30 days after airing).... I honestly don't know how my "wrestling week" is going to shake out starting in October, but it's awesome to know that if I want to keep my NXT more or less as-is, I can, since I have a Network subscription.

I mean, I can't remember the last time I watched NXT "live" on a Wednesday, but somewhere Thursday-Sunday is the window where I catch it on-demand. Since WWE now has streaming rights starting at 8pm on Thursday, I'm good if I give the DVR space to AEW but don't overclog it.

If Wednesday Night Fights become a real thing, though? Oh well, wouldn't THAT just be a huge chore to have two good wrestling shows on TV at the same time! [hesaidsarcastically]

In other news, I'm pretty sure this makes NXT the lead-in for the final season of "Mr. Robot" when it debuts later in October, which just adds to my DVR's Wednesday Night Problems....

bigfatgoalie - 9-19-2019 at 01:05 AM

Going all in on the Undisputed Era and setting up Cole vs Dream is a smart choice.

Going all in on UE and freeing up Dream for RAW or SmackDown? Less so, but I guess you have Riddle.

Hopefully Dream is staying in NXT for a bit.

janerd75 - 9-19-2019 at 01:42 AM

I wonder if Lio Rush can ever overcome his previous troubles in the locke......HEY, WAYMENT!!!!

OORick - 9-19-2019 at 01:52 AM

NXT on USA was solid.... they seemed to consciously present "business as usual" with no stunt-casting or hot-shotting (there will be time for that in 2 weeks), but instead just illustrate what good wrestling looks like. Undisputed Era vs. Whoever for WarGames is just the perfect way to go for the next 2 months...

NXT on WWE Network? I still don't know. For 15 minutes, WWE Network on my Roku kept regurgitating me out to my home screen, claiming that I did not have an account and I needed to sign up, and when it finally DID accept my log-in on the fifth try, it could not "access network resources." My wifi is fine, I could get into the Network on my phone, but if I can't watch it on my big ol' Tee Vee, I'll just wait till later.

Another chapter in the story of WWE Network got a lot more sucky once they cheaped out and went with a different company to serve their content...

One stupid side-note from the USA Hour: did anyone other than me notice how Mauro actually had to stop and catch himself a few times so he could say WRESTLER, when his instinct was clearly to say "sports entertainer" or "competitor," but now he's actually allowed to say that naughty word?

bigfatgoalie - 9-19-2019 at 02:24 AM

Another little thing I’m glad they got out of the way was the Triple H intro.

Also...WALTER!!!

the goon - 9-19-2019 at 03:31 AM

I enjoyed the first hour on USA, but didn't tune into the second hour on WWE Network (just because I figured Strong winning the North American title was going to be the big moment of the show, plus 11 hours of WWE programming in four nights is a little much), but damn, that sounds like some good stuff with WALTER and company showing up. Also pretty cool to see Undisputed Era with all the gold.

And this has probably been discussed elsewhere, but with NXT being on USA now, are the days of getting called up to the main roster done? For the last four or five years, there's been a pretty specific formula of "guy gets big in NXT, wins the NXT title, drops it, and then jumps to RAW or Smackdown." But I could see guys like Dream, Gargano, Ciampa, Riddle, etc sticking around in NXT for a prolonged period of time now and even if/when they do go to RAW or Smackdown, it won't seem like so much of a call up as it will just switching brands.

GodEatGod - 9-19-2019 at 12:42 PM

Good show. It -felt- like NXT, which was probably the most important thing for me. It was time for Dream to drop the belt and I expect he'll be NXT champion sometime next year.

Glad to see Candice LeRae get the #1 contender slot. She'd be an awesome champ and Shayna's got to drop the belt to someone eventually...right?

Lio coming back is a good thing because he's a damn great wrestler. I guess he's a babyface now? The crowd was certainly behind him.

I wasn't a huge fan of the big brawl closing out the show. Not enough name guys in it and mostly it just made me sad that we wouldn't get a proper Riddle/Dain match (although apparently that's now on for next week, with the #1 contendership on the line to Cole's title)

CCharger - 9-19-2019 at 02:46 PM

Thought the female four-way was good, but a little too much of a overly choreographed spotfest.

The Grimes match happened.

The NA title match was excellent. There were times I was unsure if the two guys were actually shooting on each other. It was a slow build that told a story and had a satisfying finish that moved the whole storyline forward.

I don't have the Network, so I didn't see the rest of the show.

I'm interested to see how NXT will fair against AEW and vice versa. I don't think they are exact analogs of each other. I don't think it will be like RAW vs. Nitro. More like ECW vs. Nitro and I don't mean that as a pejorative. Just a different feel and aesthetic.

[Edited on 9-19-2019 by CCharger]

CVD39 - 9-20-2019 at 12:14 AM

I think doing the WALTER surprise on the first hour coulda been better than the Cameron squash match. To see the crowd pop could have been cool to a first time but I guess they didn’t want to tease that WALTER is a permanent fixture? Or will he be? Maybe once or twice s month fly him and/or his goons over? Loving the potential with everything. Direct competition is awesome.

quote:
I enjoyed the first hour on USA, but didn't tune into the second hour on WWE Network (just because I figured Strong winning the North American title was going to be the big moment of the show, plus 11 hours of WWE programming in four nights is a little much), but damn, that sounds like some good stuff with WALTER and company showing up. Also pretty cool to see Undisputed Era with all the gold.

And this has probably been discussed elsewhere, but with NXT being on USA now, are the days of getting called up to the main roster done? For the last four or five years, there's been a pretty specific formula of "guy gets big in NXT, wins the NXT title, drops it, and then jumps to RAW or Smackdown." But I could see guys like Dream, Gargano, Ciampa, Riddle, etc sticking around in NXT for a prolonged period of time now and even if/when they do go to RAW or Smackdown, it won't seem like so much of a call up as it will just switching brands.

I’m wondering if one or two guys/girls gets drafted in two weeks to Raw or Smackdown.

And if Riddle/Dain is for the #1 contender to the NXT championship, I guess Riddle’s going over......but if it’s too early for Riddle I’d love to see Dain and Cole do a match. Love both of those guys and that could be brutal but I doubt they go that route.

[Edited on 9-20-2019 by CVD39]

SpiNNeR72 - 9-20-2019 at 11:19 PM

quote:
I think doing the WALTER surprise on the first hour coulda been better than the Cameron squash match. To see the crowd pop could have been cool to a first time but I guess they didn’t want to tease that WALTER is a permanent fixture? Or will he be? Maybe once or twice s month fly him and/or his goons over? Loving the potential with everything. Direct competition is awesome.

How in gods name anyone could compare the mound of suck that is walter to Cameron Grimes is beyond me. Why they needed to dilute the awesomeness of Imperium by bringing him along is staggering.

CVD39 - 9-21-2019 at 12:02 AM

quote:
quote:

How in gods name anyone could compare the mound of suck that is walter to Cameron Grimes is beyond me. Why they needed to dilute the awesomeness of Imperium by bringing him along is staggering.

I like Cameron Grimes but I don’t think a quick squash match helps him all that much and I don’t think they had time for a longer showcase match.

And we get it, you don’t like WALTER. Others do, including the fans at the show and that heat could help sell NXT more than a squash match with a guy that only people that watched Impact (so about 50 people) would recognize.

Paddlefoot - 9-21-2019 at 05:06 AM

BTW, the Germans have mellowed out quite a bit over the last few decades but they're still touchy and get really offended at two things these days:

1) if you give them a bad time about World War Two
2) you don't spell WALTER! properly in all-upper case during internet discussions

This is me taking others into consideration, being aware of their sensitivities, even for an ancient enemy. No need to thank me, it's who I am and it's what I do.

CVD39 - 9-21-2019 at 10:01 AM

=Tips hat=

[Edited on 9-21-2019 by CVD39]

GodEatGod - 9-21-2019 at 01:35 PM

I'm not really in love with Imperium or the pseudo-fascist overtones. It just feels icky to me. Not saying it shouldn't exist or should be taken off the show, just that I don't enjoy it even as a heel gimmick. I get enough of that shit in the news as it is.

That said, I have enjoyed some of WALTER's matches, but others have left me flat. Like a lot of big guys, he works best with a quick and lively smaller opponent (Tyler Bate, Pete Dunne, etc), but I watched him wrestle Keith Lee once and it was...eh?

CVD39 - 9-21-2019 at 06:07 PM

quote:
I'm not really in love with Imperium or the pseudo-fascist overtones. It just feels icky to me. Not saying it shouldn't exist or should be taken off the show, just that I don't enjoy it even as a heel gimmick. I get enough of that shit in the news as it is.

That said, I have enjoyed some of WALTER's matches, but others have left me flat. Like a lot of big guys, he works best with a quick and lively smaller opponent (Tyler Bate, Pete Dunne, etc), but I watched him wrestle Keith Lee once and it was...eh?

When was that? In NXT or before somewhere else? Just asking because it seems like they’re hiding him with those Dunne/Bate type guys more and not giving him the bigger ones unless I’ve missed something. So maybe they know this, too.

SpiNNeR72 - 9-22-2019 at 01:12 AM

quote:

I like Cameron Grimes but I don’t think a quick squash match helps him all that much and I don’t think they had time for a longer showcase match.

And we get it, you don’t like WALTER. Others do, including the fans at the show and that heat could help sell NXT more than a squash match with a guy that only people that watched Impact (so about 50 people) would recognize.

I didn't even know Grimes was in TNA, I'm just basing it on his WWE stint so far. HHH explained the squash really well on the post show. Create interest PRIOR to promos which is so sound.

To explain my issue with walter. I get that he is some kind of indie darling like Bryan, Rollins, etc. And yes he has a good character and decent promo skills, however when it come to actual matches he is either greener than green or simply awful. He can't even fall off the top rope convincingly.

So yeah I get the hype, and he could be good for SD or RAW, but NXT's focus on good wrestling is why it blows my mind that they would feature someone so poor in that aspect.

GodEatGod - 9-22-2019 at 04:38 AM

quote:

When was that? In NXT or before somewhere else? Just asking because it seems like they’re hiding him with those Dunne/Bate type guys more and not giving him the bigger ones unless I’ve missed something. So maybe they know this, too.

I'm not sure what fed, I remember finding it on Youtube a couple years ago when I first started hearing rumblings about WALTER and wanted to check him out.

CVD39 - 9-22-2019 at 08:13 AM

quote:
I didn't even know Grimes was in TNA, I'm just basing it on his WWE stint so far. HHH explained the squash really well on the post show. Create interest PRIOR to promos which is so sound.

To explain my issue with walter. I get that he is some kind of indie darling like Bryan, Rollins, etc. And yes he has a good character and decent promo skills, however when it come to actual matches he is either greener than green or simply awful. He can't even fall off the top rope convincingly.

So yeah I get the hype, and he could be good for SD or RAW, but NXT's focus on good wrestling is why it blows my mind that they would feature someone so poor in that aspect.

I’m not ready to put him in the big leagues yet and he might not ever reach his full potential but for what he’s doing, it’s seems to be getting over. I don’t like Randy Orton but I’m not complaining that he’s in the spot that he’s in.

quote:

I'm not sure what fed, I remember finding it on Youtube a couple years ago when I first started hearing rumblings about WALTER and wanted to check him out.

Gotcha. He seems to be entertaining against the workratecguys so hopefully he’s either made strides against bigger dudes or they keep him against the workers.

[Edited on 9-22-2019 by CVD39]

OORick - 9-23-2019 at 02:57 AM

I won't get too much in the way of the pre-existing WALTER debate, but I do tip my cap to the basic idea of putting it under the same lens as Orton.... I think the two are fairly close to each other in terms of what they can do, bell to bell. It's just that Orton has shown -- both in action, and even in some backstage anecdotes -- that he DOESN'T do all he CAN do if he doesn't have to (on a big stage and as a babyface, Randall has turned out some gems; otherwise, not so much, unless it's against that aforementioned super-talented bump-machine).

Also, WALTER -- with English as his second language -- is a nominally better promo/charisma guy, but your mileage may vary due to the, uhhhhhh, Nazi-ish-ness. [Even I grant that Nazis were and are still worse than entitled dimwitted douchebags, in the grand scheme of things.]

I mostly just wanted to pop in and say that I did get around to watching Hour Two of NXT, and did sort of have a nation for why they suddenly put WALTER and Imperium on TV....

Next TakeOver is WarGames. Is it possible that the Undisputed Era have more or less "beat the level," and they are bigger than the WarGames match, if for no other reason than they hold all the gold, and NXT usually prioritizes title defenses? If so, you need another quartet of heels to put inside the double-cage.

WALTER inviting Kushida to put together his best 3-some for a 6-man against Imperium this coming Wednesday would certainly be a sensible first step to something like that. It really comes down to how many major titles/stories they are willing to burn inside the WarGames, with lesser issues populating the undercard, versus using WarGames as a gimmick that sells itslef and still having a shitload of awesome matches supporting it.

LoveMuscle - 9-26-2019 at 12:28 AM

This was my first chance to see Derek Lee ... I must say once the bell rang I was pretty impressed.

Paddlefoot - 9-26-2019 at 12:55 AM

Turns out that Soviet Canuckistan is once again badly behind the times because none of our precious sports channels are carrying NXT. Oh well, you motherCanuckers, maybe it'll be added to your package sometime in the next fucking decade.

...hello torrenting, my good friend, I've come to mooch from you again...

bigfatgoalie - 9-26-2019 at 12:56 AM

Ummm, Taynara and Dakota looked off, with Kai’s Kicks seeming....kind of soft. If Taynara can cut a promo, I think there’s something there.

Not that people like Io, Belair, Mia Yim, or Candice need to be worried...but she’s got a look and her limited offence looked good.

Also...Killian Dain would be a great 3rd to Harper and Rowan.

LoveMuscle - 9-26-2019 at 12:59 AM

At least Dain can go home and console himself in the sweet, sweet embrace of Nikki Cross.

Paddlefoot - 9-26-2019 at 01:04 AM

Killian sure lost a lot of weight since the end of Sanity, given the way he was jumping off the top turnbuckle and diving through the ropes last week on the premiere.

ETA - pretty sure I'll be stanning for Rhea "Sexy Beast" Ripley for the rest of my days. That Kayden girl sure looked good with that flippy shit though, despite taking the loss. Well done by both of them.

[Edited on 9/26/2019 by Paddlefoot]

mistabinks - 9-26-2019 at 05:23 AM

I would go out of my way to watch an hour long show of NXT every week now that it’s on cable. I hope it being two hours isn’t too much of a good thing.

[Edited on 9-26-2019 by mistabinks]

CVD39 - 9-26-2019 at 05:47 AM

quote:
Originally posted by LoveMuscle
This was my first chance to see Derek Lee ... I must say once the bell rang I was pretty impressed.

It’s Kevin Lee and yeah, that was a pretty good big man match.

SpiNNeR72 - 9-26-2019 at 09:55 PM

Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) - it wasn't.

At least by their standards. As a Lee/Dijacovik match it was the shits. Check out either of their previous encounters, they were way, way better. Which is a damn shame.

MVP of this phase of NXT continues to be Grimes. Awesome showing.

Roll on next week and Montez

CVD39 - 9-26-2019 at 11:24 PM

quote:
Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) - it wasn't.

At least by their standards. As a Lee/Dijacovik match it was the shits. Check out either of their previous encounters, they were way, way better. Which is a damn shame.

MVP of this phase of NXT continues to be Grimes. Awesome showing.

Roll on next week and Montez

Yeah, I forgot we have to watch their other encounters and compare them to see if we liked the match that they just had or not. 🙄🙄🙄

OORick - 11-23-2019 at 10:45 PM

I hereby declare that WarGames doesn't quite merit a whole thread of its own. Nor does it exactly belong in the weekly AEW/NXT thread.

So let's just bump this up and talk about it here, if the muse moves you. You are forewarned that if you can't watch the show live (and I'm included in that group this time around), there could well be spoilers below. Tread lightly.

Looks like they're settled on just doing 4 matches, which is fine, since the two WarGames will probably be upwards of 45 minutes each, and they usually try to bring Takeovers in at 2 to 2 and a half hours.

Line up:

TEAM CIAMPA (Ciampa/Lee/Dijakovic/Mystery Partner) vs. UNDISPUTED ERA (Cole/Strong/Fish/O'Reilly) (WarGames)
TEAM RIPLEY (Ripley/LaRae/Nox/Yim) vs. TEAM BASZLER (Baszler/Shirai/Belair/KLR) (WarGames)
PETE DUNNE vs. DAMIEN PRIEST vs. KILLIAN DANE (Winner Gets Shot at NXT Champ Adam Cole Tomorrow at Survivor Series)
MATT RIDDLE vs. FINN BALOR

If Ciampa's mystery fourth is someone on the active NXT roster, it's pretty much gotta be Velveteen Dream, right? But nobody's claiming it absolutely has to be someone from the active roster.... [that said, my instinct is that if NXT is gonna have any major surprises, they'll come tomorrow night when their two 5-person teams are announced for Survivor Series]

Not sure if it's confirmed, or if it's a pre-show match (now that NXT is live on Wednesdays, they no longer need to covertly tape matches for free TV before Takeovers, and can start doing the PPV standard pre-show matches), but there is talk of Swerve Scott vs. Angel Garza.... to be honest, I'd get Lio Rush and the cruiserweight title out there if you need to kill time, but what do I know?

[Edited on 11-23-2019 by OORick]

janerd75 - 11-24-2019 at 12:35 AM

Never trust a broad with that hideous of an accent. Fuggin' Kiwis, mate.

G-Spot - 11-24-2019 at 12:41 AM

The bar has now been set. Top that fella's!!!

Katie Vick killer - 11-24-2019 at 12:54 AM

quote:
Never trust a broad with that hideous of an accent. Fuggin' Kiwis, mate.

An absolute sheet kent!

janerd75 - 11-24-2019 at 01:19 AM

KENT 4 DAYS!

Takeovers = Gold Standard. Haitch truly is the Cerebral Assassin. Bless you Vince, but it's Hunter's time now.

Also, it's gonna be a bruiser burner betwixt [that guy] and Baybay tomorry!

Also2, huzzah Finn and his massive Irish curse! Whee!

ETA: It's like Johnny MundoImpact, but with Owens instead!

[Edited on 11-24-2019 by janerd75]

williamssl - 11-24-2019 at 02:17 AM

Kevin.

Fuckin.

Owens.

G-Spot - 11-24-2019 at 02:32 AM

Ho...Lee...FUCK!!!

Some serious trust there!!!!

nOOb - 11-24-2019 at 02:32 AM

I'm glad I reupped yesterday for this, even though I only remembered to tune in in time for the last match. Which I believe the official result line for that match is "there were no survivors."

bigfatgoalie - 11-24-2019 at 03:38 AM

Kevin Owens wearing a classic NXT KO shirt is peak Owens being damn awesome at this pro wrestling thing.

I don’t think he will be full time NXT...because really, I think the next NXT title feud Balor vs Ciampa, but I’d be ok with Owens getting to wrestle near his kids and have crazy good matches.

G-Spot - 11-24-2019 at 04:19 AM

Triple H said after War Games he was sorry that Britt Baker was shown on camera and feels bad for putting her in that position. Apparently the director went to the person who looked the most shocked at the finish, and did not know she was Adam Cole's girlfriend...let alone know she was an AEW wrestler.

DevilSoprano - 11-24-2019 at 04:50 AM

My quick simple thoughts from tonight and the previous few days...

Rhea Ripley was made into an absolute superstar and could easily main event a main roster PPV within the next few months...they had her hang with 3 of the 4 WWE Horsewomen and then pin the almost unbeatable Baszler with just Candice as back-up.

Dakota Kai's turn may have been predictable but it doesn't matter because it was so so so so so so well done and Kai/Nox will sell a ton of NXT or NXT UK shows over the next few months and could easily be a female version of Gargano/Ciampa.

Io was already a star but she's also got so much potential to be bigger, I hope they let it grow organically.

Candice is just so good at every little thing that I think she'll always be overlooked but will and should be a workhorse of any woman's division they put her in.

Belair wasn't a weak point.

Kay Lee Ray is a great heel.

Keith Lee was also made into a superstar this week. The dive on Raw or NXT, the staredown with Braun, and just an absolute monster in WarGames.

Cole and Ciampa were already stars but can easily be top guys for a long time to come.

CVD39 - 11-24-2019 at 09:41 AM

I thought (if it wasn’t a spoiled debut in Smackdown) that Toni Storm could’ve come out along with another woman to replace Nox and Dakota Kai. Also thought that Bayley would either come out while Shayna was walking down to the ring to take out Shayna or she’d be one of the women to replace Nix/Kai.

When Io climbed to the top of the cage I thought a good spot would for someone to throw off their opponent from the top to get the win*. In a 2 on 4 beat down, I thought that that spot would make sense but maybe not Io taking the bump (then again, she’s flown some crazy bumps).

The three way started out kinda clunky but man, that shit got brutal.

Did Damian Priest give Pete Dunne a butthole grab during a choke slam?

I loved it when Dunne instinctively went for Priest’s fingers to manipulate them and Priest just slapped his hand away in a “C’mon, man, stop that shit” manner.

Dunne/Cole is going to be epic.

I hate Matt Riddle’s pouty face.

When Keith Lee runs to the ring he looks like Newman running from broccoli (VILE WEED!)

After they attacked him on RAW why didn’t I see that coming. Figured it would’ve been a big surprise and I overlooked the obvious.

What the fuck are these guys doing to themselves? My god.

*And then Nigel says in the waning moments of the main event that throwing your opponent off the cage to disqualify them is a genius idea.

GodEatGod - 11-24-2019 at 10:39 AM

Loved the whole show, as usual.

Women's Wargames had some great brutality but also the angle of the night with Dakota Kai turning. So smart to have her turn right away and use it as a way to make Rhea look like even more of a bad motherfucker. Jesus, and she's only barely into her twenties.

I hadn't seen much of Priest before but he impressed me a lot tonight.

Balor/Riddle was great, of course. I still can't bring myself to actually like Riddle, even if he's a hell of a wrestler. His vibe is just not for me.

Main event was the usual supernuts. That final spot, as noted, is absolutely insane and I have no idea how Adam Cole takes that bump.

Multiple AEW refs tonight between them showing Britt Baker being concerned over Adam Cole and Mauro calling a V-trigger.

CVD39 - 11-24-2019 at 11:19 AM

It’s weird....I was thinking earlier today about how The WWE doesn’t fire people in droves anymore like they used to because of all of the current competition and the Highlanders were one of the teams I thought about that probably wouldn’t have been fired because of Rory attending a TNA taping. And then they showed Brit there tonight. Situations are a little different, though.

G. Jonah Jameson - 11-24-2019 at 01:26 PM

quote:
It’s weird....I was thinking earlier today about how The WWE doesn’t fire people in droves anymore like they used to because of all of the current competition and the Highlanders were one of the teams I thought about that probably wouldn’t have been fired because of Rory attending a TNA taping. And then they showed Brit there tonight. Situations are a little different, though.

Even then, I don't think they fired the Highlanders over one of them showing up on Impact. I believe they suspended the offending Highlander, but the team didn't get cut loose for like another year. I mean, they did nothing but job the whole time, but they'd been getting jobbed out for months prior to the Impact thing.

I definitely agree with your main point, though. Someone like Mr. Kennedy would be a good example. No way WWE shitcans an upper-midcarder today just because he ticked off Randy Orton.

nOOb - 11-24-2019 at 04:11 PM

I assume if it were a Vince-run show, he'd find out who she was and be shouting in someone's ear "Screw the fact she's his girlfriend, you really stick that camera on her and make sure everyone knows she's from another promotion but she's here because she loves us more, dammit!" But it's NXT: Mauro simply mentioned her name and said she was Adam Cole's girlfriend, and she was reacting naturally to watching him being slammed from the top of a cage onto a table. And then Triple H apologized for it. Very classy. And the audience that was watching already knew who she was, who she worked for, and, most likely, who she was dating, because the audience watching NXT and AEW are pretty much the same.

Hopefully AEW is smart enough to just let this be a non-issue.