Board logo

PPV DISCUSSION: SummerSlam is IcOOnic Thread of UnOOficialness
DKBroiler - 8-17-2018 at 03:40 PM

SummerSlam is Sunday. Iíve heard itís a fairly large show thatís supposed to be important. Maybe we should discuss it.

Iíll start with a wild idea. I think that Cedric Alexander should retain his CW Championship cleanly as a face and then 2 hours later lay Fin Balor out so that Corbin beats him.

On Monday - or right then - Alexander can say how he has been the CW Champ for 5 months and gotten zero airtime on Raw while Balor gets a match every week and is scared of fighting guys his own size. Of course it makes no sense why Balor would be afraid of 200 pounders and not 300 pounders but itís heel bluster so who cares.

This would allow Corbin to softly move on, and put the shine back on 205 Live by having Alexander on Raw as well. Fin.

First 9 - 8-17-2018 at 05:35 PM

On paper this is one of the grander ppvs they've had in years.

The Main events have two of the longest World Title reigns in history possibly coming to an end.One of the most famous athletes, top 5 if we only include combat sports, on Earth is challenging for the Woman's Title. Plus one of the best, long-running rivalries in the last 15 years hits it's crescendo.

Even down in the midcard we have the most popular tag team in a quite a while in New Day getting their shine back after constantly having great matches and now are ready to add another Title reign to their resume.Then there's Rollins and Ziggler providing a nice steak with a returning Ambrose to provide the sizzle and the SD's Women's match which has been nicely built up.

So props to WWE for the build up, now let's hope they can pace it properly. Even catching the shows later to avoid fatigue isn't working because you can tell the crowd is worn out and it brings down the matches even if one is watching it with fresh eyes.

CCharger - 8-17-2018 at 07:00 PM

Iím honored to share the #SummerSlam kickoff show with the cruiser weight title !

— Rusev (@RusevBUL) August 14, 2018

punkerhardcore - 8-17-2018 at 09:28 PM

I have two predictions about the show:

1. Miz vs. Bryan doesn't actually happen, for one reason or another.

2. It'll be Demon Finn, not regular style Finn, who faces Baron Corbin.

DKBroiler - 8-19-2018 at 01:52 PM

Iíll assume you everyone is still in catatonic shock from NXTís greatness last night cause otherwise Iíd be remiss not to notice the distinct lack of posts about smark Wrestlemania.

Itís almost like an amazing lineup of matches isnít worth talking about. Do we need to add a celebrity in here so we can at least get 45 posts about why we donít need a celebrity guest?

shashwat mishra - 8-19-2018 at 02:55 PM

I am going to switch on the TV and watch this as I am pretty excited about the card. While I have no hopes of the WWE actually going in any direction that I want them to, I would love for the following to happen:

1) Roman Reigns to beat Lazy Lesnar convincingly. Zero chance of this actually playing out. Anyone who supports Lesnar here probably also cheers on when a less deserving employee gets ahead every damn time in the company simply because his boss likes him. I don't believe Lesnar brings in more merchandise sales than Roman. He certainly doesn't care to wrestle anymore. He isn't more popular. His "look" isn't better.

I have no wish to see Lesnar (or even Heyman) again for a long time. Even the bloody promos of are grating. The same stuff every single time. Roman is loved by the boss too but he deserves a clean victory payoff here for all the losses he took to that part timer and we can then actually have a champion who shows up and works hard. I don't even care if he drops it five minutes later to Braun. A Lesnar retention is a slap on the face of every hardworking wrestler out there.

2) Samoa Joe to win that title in a 4.5 star- 5 star match. Certainly possible despite the doubters at 411mania and he will be an awesome bad ass champion who takes on all comers day in day out. And AJ could chase in an epic series of rematches. WWE will probably go with Styles retaining though. Do they trust Joe to stay injury free?

3) Carmella moving on to reality TV instead of wrestling and joining the Kardashians or Big Brother. Jinder Mahal is Ric Flair if Carmella is worthy of being champion. Therefore, she will most likely retain and I will proceed to eat my breakfast very angrily (4.30 am is when Summerslam starts in India and I am guessing I will be angry by 7 am). Oh Becky, I pray for you. With all the passion of a casual fan of redheads! I am looking forward to you and Charlotte starting an intense hot potato feud for 6 months.

OORick - 8-19-2018 at 06:52 PM

Tip o' the cap to y'all for getting this thread rolling before my lazy ass got around to it. The industriousness is appreciated!

Just for reference, here's tonight's full card:

BROCK LESNAR vs. ROMAN REIGNS (WWEU Title)
AJ STYLES vs. SAMOA JOE (WWE Title)
DANIEL BRYAN vs. THE MIZ (Ultimate Grudge Match of Long Term Percolation)
ALEXA BLISS vs. RONDA ROUSEY (RAW Women's Title)
BRAUN STROWMAN vs. KEVIN OWENS (If Braun loses via ANY means, Owens wins the MitB Briefcase)
DOLPH ZIGGLER vs. SETH ROLLINS (IC Title)
SHINSUKE NAKAMURA vs. JEFF HARDY(US Title)
BLUDGEON BROTHERS vs. NEW DAY (SD Tag Titles)
CARMELLA vs. BECKY LYNCH vs. CHARLOTTE (SD Women's Title)
FINN BALOR vs. BORING CAREN
ELIAS PERFORMS HIS "GREATEST SONG EVER"

And on the kick-off show (which begins at 5pm eastern and lasts 2 hours), we're getting 3 additional matches: B-Team vs. the Revival (RAW Tag Titles)... Cedric Alexander vs. Drew Gulak (Cruiserweight Title)... and Rusev/Lana vs. Almas/Zelina...

It's fixing to be a long night -- possibly as long as 7 hours, all told -- and there's a very good chance that it all ends on a sour note given that a PPV crowd in NYC is bound to have much antipathy towards Roman Reigns. And not a whole lot of love for Brock, either.

But that said, all the pieces are in place for this to be one hell of a show. If AJ/Joe, Bryan/Miz, Dolph/Rollins (w/ bonus antics from McIntyre and Ambrose), and Braun/Owens all live up reasonable expectations, that right there is an obscene surplus of great in-ring action. Throw in the likelihood that Rousey hits another home run in terms of "big fight feel" and the possibility that WWE has some kind of trick up its sleeve for the main event (the reveal of a New Paul Heyman Guy, MitB cash-in, or other swerve), and you'll have plenty of sizzle to go with that steak, too.

There's certainly a bit of filler in there, too -- and it will be even more noticeable coming off the utterly remarkable NXT show last night that had exactly 0 minutes of material that was less than red hot and awesome -- but none of it looks to be offensive. Well, so long as Corbin loses to Balor in relatively short order. Otherwise, that one could quickly become patience-trying.

But yeah: on the whole, I'm moderately stoked.

the goon - 8-19-2018 at 08:21 PM

I'm looking forward to tonight's show, as the WWE has really stacked the card this year. My predictions:

Brock Lensar vs Roman Reigns: Like their last match, I'm more intrigued by the crowd reaction and what the booking will be than the match itself. I really have no idea what's going to happen, but you can't have Roman fail yet again against Brock, so I'll pick him to win the title tonight (though a MITB cash-in is always possible as well).

AJ Styles vs Samoa Joe: It's pretty insane we're getting this match not only in a WWE ring, but on their second-biggest PPV of the year and for the WWE title. There have been multiple times I thought AJ was going to drop the belt over the last eight months, but here he is still WWE champion, so it's hard to bet against him. But this just feels like Joe's time, as he's been killing it ever since going to Smackdown, so I'm going with him to take the belt off of AJ tonight (with that said, I'd have no complaints if AJ's title reign continues, just because I'd like to see how close to a year-long title reign he can get).

Daniel Bryan vs The Miz: This feud has been awesome so far and the match definitely has show-stealing potential. I'll pick Bryan to win, though it wouldn't shock me to see Miz win via nefarious means.

Dolph Ziggler vs Seth Rollins: I've thoroughly enjoyed all things Dolph/Seth thus far, so hopefully they blow the roof off the Barclays Center in their final match tonight. I know some are calling for an Ambrose heel turn, but I don't see it happening tonight. Seth seems like the obvious winner here, with Ambrose being the equalizer against McIntyre.

Alexa Bliss vs Ronda Rousey: Before Jim Neidhart passed away, I was about 80% certain that Natty was going to turn on Ronda during this match and Alexa would win. But I don't really see how they can go that route now, so I'm thinking the WWE just says fuck it and has Ronda win tonight (plus with the Alexa/Trish announcement, it makes more sense for that match not to have the RAW women's title involved).

Kevin Owens vs Braun Strowman: The "Braun can lose his MITB shot via any means" stipulations makes me think that Owens has a chance to win, but let's get real...Braun ain't losing here. With that said, these two have worked well together in the past, so hopefully this is a fun match.

Nakamura vs Jeff Hardy: I'm sure we get some RKO interference here, but either way, Nakamura retains.

The Bludgeon Brothers vs The New Day: This is one of those matches where I feel like no matter which team I pick, I'm going to be wrong. But I'll go with New Day to win.

Carmella vs Becky Lynch vs Charlotte Flair: A triple threat match is tailor-made for Carmella to sneak out a victory, but I'm going to pick Becky to win.

Finn Balor vs Baron Corbin: Baron Corbin took one step forward by finally shaving his skullet and two steps back by starting to wrestle in dress clothes. Please just let Finn win this match and move onto something else.

DKBroiler - 8-19-2018 at 09:07 PM

Looking at it now ... good lord thatís a lot of wrasslin. I gotta think that Bryan v Miz is the MOTN but itís quite possible that a half dozen matches could as well.

Also, well said about NXT there Rick. There were zero wasted minutes. There are always wasted minutes. Not last night. Tough act to follow.

Ortonmustdie - 8-19-2018 at 10:25 PM

Watching the Kickoff Show:

Samoa Joe is just a glorious bastard, with his little aside to Rene about "Hey, glad your lazy ass boyfriend is back to work!"

Awesome!

DevilSoprano - 8-19-2018 at 11:03 PM

Live chat available again:

https://discord.gg/HMZKkHt

the goon - 8-19-2018 at 11:10 PM

I'm already digging Ziggler's Rick Rude-style tights with the IC title on them.

shashwat mishra - 8-19-2018 at 11:14 PM

Who is this Drew guy?
His entrance as a non participant was highlighted better than the IC champion's entrance.

Paddlefoot - 8-19-2018 at 11:20 PM

Ambrose looks like someone who wants to go and punch out idiots at an Antifa/alt-Reich riot just for laffs.

janerd75 - 8-19-2018 at 11:24 PM

Tonight, the role of Dolph Ziggler-esque brutal overselling is being played by Seth Rollins.

Also, Dean standing face to face with Drew is only slightly shorter than the Scottish giant. SCDP is SWOLE!

Paddlefoot - 8-19-2018 at 11:32 PM

Four GOLLYS! out of five match!

shashwat mishra - 8-19-2018 at 11:33 PM

Oh a very strong sequence at the end of that IC Title match.
What about that awesome inverted suplex off the top rope? Kudos to both men.

bigfatgoalie - 8-19-2018 at 11:34 PM

Much like last night, the opening is daring folks to try and top that. Really good match. No Dean turn being rushed. Good start.

ETA: fuckity fuck...with rumours of Nikki vs Ronda at Evolution....

[Edited on 8-19-2018 by bigfatgoalie]

DKBroiler - 8-19-2018 at 11:40 PM

That Bellas promo should have been presented by Anvil.

Paddlefoot - 8-19-2018 at 11:40 PM

Li'l Naitch!

shashwat mishra - 8-19-2018 at 11:46 PM

Do the Bellas actually have an audience?
Nasty comment - they look way older than 34.

Unable to care about this Tag match.

Paddlefoot - 8-19-2018 at 11:51 PM

It was more fun that one would assume, kind of like a block war series in a Judge Dredd comic.

royberto - 8-19-2018 at 11:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by shashwat mishra

Unable to care about this Tag match.
Over a million subscribers to their YouTube channel, so I guess they do.

janerd75 - 8-19-2018 at 11:58 PM

quote:

IcOOnic comment, Meltzerchod! #OUTRAAAAAAAAAAAAGE!

Paddlefoot - 8-20-2018 at 12:02 AM

Jesus Christ, Owens.

DKBroiler - 8-20-2018 at 12:02 AM

Jesus Braun ...

shashwat mishra - 8-20-2018 at 12:03 AM

WTF?
Was Owens injured or something?
Seriously, Vince?

royberto - 8-20-2018 at 12:03 AM

The funeral for Kevin Owens will be Thursday. Visitation one hour before.

Ortonmustdie - 8-20-2018 at 12:03 AM

Braun Stroman cash-in tonight?

Whether he cashes in on Bork or the Big DONG, he's gonna get cheered.

bigfatgoalie - 8-20-2018 at 12:04 AM

Owens can bounce back for anything. But fuck, there's a reason why Ronda has sold for others...unbeatable monsters are fucking boring.

DKBroiler - 8-20-2018 at 12:04 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Paddlefoot
Jesus Christ, Owens.

Hahaha ... I see we had similar reactions hahahaha

shashwat mishra - 8-20-2018 at 12:05 AM

quote:
Originally posted by janerd75
quote:

IcOOnic comment, Meltzerchod! #OUTRAAAAAAAAAAAAGE!

hahahaha
After Summerslam, Carmella will go and work with them full time
That is minus 6 stars right there for the Total Divas show!

Paddlefoot - 8-20-2018 at 12:07 AM

quote:
Originally posted by DKBroiler
quote:
Jesus Christ, Owens.

Hahaha ... I see we had similar reactions hahahaha

Could have been the best impersonation of a tackling dummy I've ever seen in a wrestling ring, especially that first bounce off the barrier.

Flash - 8-20-2018 at 12:07 AM

BROCK LESNAR vs. ROMAN REIGNS (WWEU Title)
*Like Goon said; the crowd is almost the reason to watch this one... I'm curious to see how much over booked gaga they throw in here as Bruce Prichard likes to call it... I still think the way to go is to have Reigns lose and then someone else beat Brock either tonight or down the line just so that they always have that over Reigns... Although I think Owens might just walk out champ if Reigns wins.

ETA... Okay, so NO OWENS given that that match happened while I was writing this up... Shield reunion? What role will Heyman play?

AJ STYLES vs. SAMOA JOE (WWE Title)
*With both Styles and Brock running modern record length title reigns I think you need to make the ending of said records a big deal... thus as I wrote a week or so ago I think only one title changes hands as Vince normally likes to keep the focus on one big talk about it event, so I think this finish tells you what to expect with the other title match... Let's go with Styles retaining, albeit in the short term only as I think you need to elevate a guy like Joe after teasing doing so with Nakamura.

DANIEL BRYAN vs. THE MIZ (Ultimate Grudge Match of Long Term Percolation)
*I think Miz goes over here... Neither needs it, but if the heel goes over then I think you've got the potential for a WrestleMania rematch as you could have Miz duck out on Bryan for a few months with some teases along the way at stuff like Survivor Series and a few minutes alone at the Rumble.

ALEXA BLISS vs. RONDA ROUSEY (RAW Women's Title)
*Curious what the plan is with Stratus versus Bliss at Evolution... Does Trish want to top her record and challenge for the title or is this a rebound match for Bliss? Let's go with Bliss retaining here because of outside interference.

BRAUN STROWMAN vs. KEVIN OWENS (If Braun loses via ANY means, Owens wins the MitB Briefcase)
*I think the case suits a heel better, and Strowman got his moment winning it. For him to cash in I think would be weaker for him... Although I think Owens cashes in right away or soon I think the Ambrose blocking Rollins constantly bit would work really well here with Strowman just continuing to shadow Owens could be hilarious. The stip' allows for shenanigans.

ETA... What the hell was that?!?

*Rollins won while I was typing this up... That one golden leg looks weird. Great match.

SHINSUKE NAKAMURA vs. JEFF HARDY(US Title)
*Shinsuke should retain here... Hardy isn't what he once was and a 40 year old man with stretched ear lobes just looks weird.

BLUDGEON BROTHERS vs. NEW DAY (SD Tag Titles)
*Bludgeon retained while I was writing this up... Probably the right call for the finish.

CARMELLA vs. BECKY LYNCH vs. CHARLOTTE (SD Women's Title)
*I really hope Lynch wins... Can't see Charlotte taking it here.

FINN BALOR vs. BARON CORBIN
*If Finn busts out the Demon he wins... If not Corbin wins. Let this be over.

ELIAS PERFORMS HIS "GREATEST SONG EVER"
*Let's go way off the book here and say either Rock, Cena, or Hogan makes an appearance... Or more likely Lashley does something to interrupt, although if there is any justice and they want to level up Elias he should leave Lashley laid out.

Hey... Any chance we get a WrestleMania IX deal? Like Reigns wins or loses, and then either he or Brock is dumb enough to put the title on the line for like a Cena coming back who then walks out champ in a complete WTF moment?

[Edited on 8-20-2018 by Flash]

Paddlefoot - 8-20-2018 at 12:10 AM

Ms. Fleirh sure upgraded from the old Firestones to some shiny new Pirellis.

shashwat mishra - 8-20-2018 at 12:10 AM

And here we go.
5.30 am here and I don't want to get pissed off this early.

Becky is beautiful and a fine wrestler.
Charlotte is legit.
And so should the hack retain?

Roy, let us pray together. I hOOpe you are lurking somewhere!

Ortonmustdie - 8-20-2018 at 12:18 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Flash

*Rollins won while I was typing this up... That one golden leg looks weird. Great match.

The only significance I could think of with the gold leg was Shaolin Soccer....

Edit: If only real soccer was like this, I'd watch the shit outta that!!

[Edited on 8-20-2018 by Ortonmustdie]

janerd75 - 8-20-2018 at 12:23 AM

Bolt-ons feat. a match w/Bex-Charlotte-Mella FTW!

DKBroiler - 8-20-2018 at 12:25 AM

Anyone who says Carmella canít wrestle can kiss my arse.

janerd75 - 8-20-2018 at 12:27 AM

quote:

Eww. Not even on a dare! Butt I'll bet in your case it tastes like Duracells you maniac.

DKBroiler - 8-20-2018 at 12:28 AM

Roysplosion in 3 ... 2 ... 1 ...

Edit: BECKSPLOSION!!

[Edited on 8-20-2018 by DKBroiler]

bigfatgoalie - 8-20-2018 at 12:29 AM

Easily Carmella's best match.

And the right booking to boot.

Well done.

Paddlefoot - 8-20-2018 at 12:29 AM

quote:

She did fine. That dive through the ropes was one of the better ones I've seen.

shashwat mishra - 8-20-2018 at 12:30 AM

Look at that crowd cheering Becky as she smashes Charlotte

G-Spot - 8-20-2018 at 12:30 AM

AND THE CROWD GOES FUCKING WILD!!!!!!!!

Flash - 8-20-2018 at 12:30 AM

Carmella kinda real life irritates me with all the shouting, although it is part of her heel charm. I will say I did appreciate her getting out of the Boston Crab herself... It makes her look more competent in the ring as opposed to just getting by on devious tactics.

Speaking of devious tactics; the Eddie Guerrero like homage minus the chair was a nice bit of theatre on Carmella's part, and I like that the other two ladies kinda fell for it but that it also didn't play it completely "duh".

Wow... Really surprised they went back to Charlotte... that kinda screams going back to your "safe" spot to me... Yeah having Lynch eat the pin protects Carmella, but I don't know that I would want to see her and Flair lock up again.

Poor Becky.... er, nevermind... love the post-match aggression and clearly so does the crowd.

royberto - 8-20-2018 at 12:32 AM

I love a booking decision blowing up in Vince's face. He just made Becky an even bigger face despite trying to turn her heel. What a fucking dumbass.

[Edited on 8-20-2018 by royberto]

Paddlefoot - 8-20-2018 at 12:33 AM

Boo that face. Cheer that heel. Good to see Barclay's go full-Philly. Now have Reigns beat up both Lesnar and Heyman with an axe handle and the place will burn down.

DKBroiler - 8-20-2018 at 12:34 AM

The you deserve it chant was fantastic. Haha. All Flairs should be heels forever.

Flash - 8-20-2018 at 12:34 AM

I hate, hate, hate Charlottes constant crying....

Curious if the WWE calls on audible on this and tries for an Austin like tweener role for Lynch and slides Charlotte back to the heel side of things.... cause that probably did not go the way Vince expected it to.

bigfatgoalie - 8-20-2018 at 12:36 AM

Now we see if Becky has the chops to be a heel. Yes, she got cheers. It's Smark Christmas...there was people yelling "hit her" during the hug. But pulling an audible and keeping Becky the face is a fuck you to Becky. You are thing a story...tell it. And give SmackDown a heel who can logically compete with Charlotte and Asuka.

shashwat mishra - 8-20-2018 at 12:37 AM

That crowd was feeling some love for Becky. Think she is going to be a brooding bad ass and not a heel. Austin vibes baby though Vince will try his best and kill it.
Also I am sure Carmella could be heard throughout the match everywhere in the city.
If screeching is a talent, she is the GOAT.

[Edited on 8-20-2018 by shashwat mishra]

janerd75 - 8-20-2018 at 12:40 AM

quote:
Originally posted by royberto
I love a booking decision blowing up in Vince's face. He just made Becky an even bigger face despite trying to turn her heel. What a fucking dumbass.

shashwat mishra - 8-20-2018 at 12:42 AM

quote:
Originally posted by royberto

Truth.

bigfatgoalie - 8-20-2018 at 12:57 AM

quote:
Also I am sure Carmella could be heard throughout the match everywhere in the city.

G-Spot - 8-20-2018 at 01:05 AM

"WHO's YOUR DADDY!" chant was great!!!!!!!!!!!

shashwat mishra - 8-20-2018 at 01:06 AM

quote:
Originally posted by bigfatgoalie
quote:

shashwat mishra - 8-20-2018 at 01:21 AM

Not sure how to feel about the ending to Joe and Styles.
Melodrama.
Essentially a cop out finish to help AJ retain. They did the same thing with the tag match in a less effective way.

Paddlefoot - 8-20-2018 at 01:21 AM

When DB gets angry he looks like some flyover-country preacher in an all-brownfield fracking & lead mining contaminated state yelling out "only Trump can stop the homosex Armageddon!".

[Edited on 8/20/2018 by Paddlefoot]

G-Spot - 8-20-2018 at 01:28 AM

Gotta love 'Lil Naitch's facial expressions in a big match!

williamssl - 8-20-2018 at 01:48 AM

I love Maryse.

And by love I mean in every orifice ever.

bigfatgoalie - 8-20-2018 at 01:49 AM

Really, really, really good match. A punch in the face ending the match is great storytelling.

Outside of squashing Owens for no reason...this has been a very well booked show.

janerd75 - 8-20-2018 at 01:52 AM

Miz/Bryan was pure 80's NWA-style Pro Wrasslin' goodness, daddeh!

Paddlefoot - 8-20-2018 at 01:54 AM

Not sure if anyone else remembers that far back in OO histOOry, but USF Bull was around the 1200 post mark too when he got banned for behaviour that was way fucking less annoying.

Rainbow Demon - mark-fucking-out!

williamssl - 8-20-2018 at 01:59 AM

quote:
Originally posted by punkerhardcore
I have two predictions about the show:

1. Miz vs. Bryan doesn't actually happen, for one reason or another.

2. It'll be Demon Finn, not regular style Finn, who faces Baron Corbin.

Not bad for two 'out there' predictions.

G-Spot - 8-20-2018 at 02:00 AM

This Demon/Corbin match should be what the Owens/Strowman match was.

EDIT: Well....it was! I'm okay with this one!

[Edited on 8-20-2018 by G-Spot]

williamssl - 8-20-2018 at 02:02 AM

Time to apply demon makeup > time the match lasted

Still, love it.

Paddlefoot - 8-20-2018 at 02:02 AM

Hopefully Cassidy does something really crazy on Preacher tonight just to continue the fun of The Night All The Irish Snapped.

Nobledictator1278 - 8-20-2018 at 02:03 AM

I wonder how long it takes to put on all of that make up.

I liked the ending of the Miz/Bryan match ...but I think if they were going to give Miz the win...I think a clean win would have been better. Miz could have been legitimized that he isn't a coward and Bryan can play the whole maybe I don't have it anymore shtick. Then Miz could duck him till WM.

[Edited on 8-20-2018 by Nobledictator1278]

bigfatgoalie - 8-20-2018 at 02:04 AM

Yeah...the Braun and Owens match really should have had different booking.

On the plus side...Corbin sold it perfectly and Finn gets to remind folks that he has another gear he can bring out when needed.

Flash - 8-20-2018 at 02:06 AM

quote:
Really, really, really good match. A punch in the face ending the match is great storytelling.

Outside of squashing Owens for no reason...this has been a very well booked show.

Agree for the most part (on the match and show at large), but I think I would have preferred Bryan to have been forced to tap out while in the figure four due to the leg injury... It would have kind of given him a bit of that "I screwed up" kind of protection, but also Miz some legitimacy for winning via a legit tap out... None the less the visual of Bryan in agony while Miz kept shouting at him was great stuff.

I'm not going to quibble to hard about that finish though; that was stiffer than the boners Roy-boy gets for dolphins and when he's shit disturbing the board. Both guys looked great... The brass knuckles were totally in character with Miz, and I'm glad they had him win as I think he would get more mileage out of it than Bryan would... Hell, I think Bryan is going to get a lot of mileage out of this loss even.

I remember writing something several years ago about how pretty much anyone who main events a WrestleMania is HOF bound and someone posted back Miz as some kind of refute to my statement... Miz might've been overshadowed in that match with Cena by the Rock-Cena build, but Miz has consistently gotten better and better with age... I can't see anyone disputing his worthiness for the HOF anymore.

Like I wrote before; Miz needs to keep turning Bryan down for a rematch... That he doesn't wrestle losers or whatever... Then you can tease them in opposing teams at Survivor Series and maybe even have them be #1 and #2 at the Rumble all leading up to a rematch at 'Mania.

OORick - 8-20-2018 at 02:10 AM

FWIW, USFBull was before I was particularly hands-on around here, but I'm fairly certain there was shady shit going on besides his public/on-forums behavior that got him banned.

That said, I'm now more hands-on, and y'all need to trust me that we'll get this under control, without using banning, but with a subtle form of public shaming. Hopefully.

So far, the only real swing-and-miss tonight was Braun/Owens, for my tastes. But with Owens, he's an Evil Genius, and just because he was physically dominated tonight doesn't mean he doesn't have a brainy "out" that shows up starting tomorrow.

I mean, we still have an outside shot at WWEU Champ Braun, with no obligation to a departed-to-UFC Brock, and KO is the guy who makes the most sense as #1 Contender if he has something up his sleeve.....

Roman Who?

Paddlefoot - 8-20-2018 at 02:13 AM

quote:
Originally posted by OORick
FWIW, USFBull was before I was particularly hands-on around here, but I'm fairly certain there was shady shit going on besides his public/on-forums behavior that got him banned.

That said, I'm now more hands-on, and y'all need to trust me that we'll get this under control, without using banning, but with a subtle form of public shaming. Hopefully.

I suggest a "soap party". Not the JBL kind but more like what was seen in Full Metal Jacket.

Flash - 8-20-2018 at 02:13 AM

That might have been the most entertaining that Corbin has ever been with his pre-match shouting about how this wasn't what they agreed on... Well done.

Also, accidental maybe, but the brevity of the match leaving the smoke/fog still surrounding the ring while they were battling (aka Finn kicking Baron's ass) made for a cool visual with Finn all demoned out.

Paddlefoot - 8-20-2018 at 02:22 AM

Break out the Purell because it's hand-shakin' time, beyotches.

EDIT: Good. Go away, you.

bigfatgoalie - 8-20-2018 at 02:22 AM

quote:
So far, the only real swing-and-miss tonight was Braun/Owens, for my tastes. But with Owens, he's an Evil Genius, and just because he was physically dominated tonight doesn't mean he doesn't have a brainy "out" that shows up starting tomorrow.

I mean, we still have an outside shot at WWEU Champ Braun, with no obligation to a departed-to-UFC Brock, and KO is the guy who makes the most sense as #1 Contender if he has something up his sleeve.....

Roman Who?

Owens in title matches are my jam...but I'll toss out another suggestion if Braun gets the belt...can the Monster beat a Demon?

Nobledictator1278 - 8-20-2018 at 02:24 AM

If Braun gets the belt you better get use to 3 months of Braun vs Reigns

bigfatgoalie - 8-20-2018 at 02:28 AM

I'd be ok with that honestly. Braun and Roman could have some good matches.

Ortonmustdie - 8-20-2018 at 02:31 AM

Alexa Bliss vs. Majin Buu??

the fuck?

OORick - 8-20-2018 at 02:32 AM

quote:
quote:

Roman Who?

Owens in title matches are my jam...but I'll toss out another suggestion if Braun gets the belt...can the Monster beat a Demon?

Would also pay to see. Many dollars.

EDIT TO ADD: I forgot Alexa's arm could do that. Sweet fancy Moses, perfect use of it.

[Edited on 8-20-2018 by OORick]

royberto - 8-20-2018 at 02:37 AM

YES. They finally got it right.

And they actually had an effective swerve with the Bella's. Huh.

Ronda's win is a great way to end the show.

G-Spot - 8-20-2018 at 02:39 AM

Too bad they gave away Alexa's double-jointedness. Can you imagine the visual of Bliss doing the "broken arm" thing from Rousey's arm-bar if nobody know about it beforehand?!?

[Edited on 8-20-2018 by G-Spot]

Paddlefoot - 8-20-2018 at 02:39 AM

williamssl - 8-20-2018 at 02:56 AM

Thank you, Braun, for making this match interesting.

williamssl - 8-20-2018 at 03:01 AM

This better fucking end with a different new champion

Edit. Shit.

[Edited on 8-20-2018 by williamssl]

royberto - 8-20-2018 at 03:10 AM

WWE managed to pull their ass out of the fire with the booking on that one. They got the Roman win they wanted, people actually popping for the finish, and actually made Braun look a little weak while he keeps his title shot to cash in on Roman later. Overbooked as all hell, but they got themselves a finish that succeeded.

bigfatgoalie - 8-20-2018 at 03:15 AM

RAW has a world champ that will be on the show every week. Roman vs Braun, Roman vs Owens, Roman vs Drew or Dolph...lots of acceptable matches you can do.

Really, there were 3 squashes on the show, and the show was super fun. That's an easy win.

the goon - 8-20-2018 at 03:21 AM

As a match, the main event was barely a thing, but as a bit of storytelling/booking, I dug it. And I really liked Braun calling his shot and waiting outside the ring to face the winner (as we've never seen that before), so I'm a little bummed they didn't follow through with it.

Either way, it's going to be odd having the Universal title actually be a thing on RAW again.

Cherokee Jack - 8-20-2018 at 03:28 AM

How long and loud do you think the ďbullshitĒ chants were when the crowd realizes Braun wasnít coming back to the ring?

PB-13 - 8-20-2018 at 03:42 AM

Laughed my ass off when I realized the WWE ring announcers had actually stopped saying the "match is scheduled for one fall" thing for the sake of stopping the fans' "ONE FALL!" followup.

First 9 - 8-20-2018 at 03:49 AM

I laughed at the motherfuckers actually finding a way to get the crowd to pop for Roman's win.

shashwat mishra - 8-20-2018 at 04:00 AM

Just happy that Brock doesn't have the belt anymore. He should never have it again. Reigns has worked hard and deserved this. I am guessing Braun and Reigns goes on till December.

I got 1 out of the 3 results I really cared about and that is a huge improvement on the usual 0.

gobbledygooker - 8-20-2018 at 04:35 AM

You know, that was easily the most enjoyable PPV I've watched (non-NXT) since....God knows when. Easily before WrestleMania. Normally it's "watch first match or two, get bored, flip to alternate entertainment." But they actually kept my attention this evening.

I think a big part of it is the "Summerslam" distinction but they also paced the show beautifully and delivered everywhere they needed to (even with the bonus of Demon Balor squashing Corbin).

And the show ended at 11:04!!!! Me thinks someone certainly took notice of the "Hey, people have to work Monday morning and have to travel from the arena so maybe let's not have our main event go on at 11:10" mindset.

Frank Lloyd Wright - 8-20-2018 at 04:37 AM

Solid PPV. Aside from the tag team title match and the Braun/Owens crap, the booking was pretty good.

A bit of interest was added to the ME with the Strowman factor. It was almost like the WWE was testing the waters to see how the live crowd would react to his presence. It's obvious that they see him as one of the best alternatives for holding the universal title.

it was time for Lesnar to give up the strap. The audience has been very apathetic towards him for a while now. Reigns should only be a stopgap in my opinion. It doesn't matter how they package him in the context of a storyline, they crowd will never be completely on his side.

That being said, I'm curious to see who they handle him between now and the Royal Rumble.

Flash - 8-20-2018 at 04:56 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Cherokee Jack
How long and loud do you think the ďbullshitĒ chants were when the crowd realizes Braun wasnít coming back to the ring?

I'm guessing they probably did the whole "dark" send the live crowd home happy bit with Braun popping up after the cameras stopped rolling and he beat the piss out of Roman...?

quote:
Originally posted by First 9
I laughed at the motherfuckers actually finding a way to get the crowd to pop for Roman's win.

It was well done in the sense of HA! we got the crowd to cheer for a few minutes because we distracted them with a shiny bauble, but I think that's a bit of a piss off tease as well.

I'm a little surprised the WWE sprung for that big Roman logo and dog given that it made what... a 3 second appearance? I mean year, they can get years out of it probably, but still seemed random.

I did not like that final match... If you were going to finally have Roman go over Brock I think you should have bit the bullet and kept it solo and a hard fought win for Reigns in the end... Not so much with the capitalizing on a distracted Brock. By the same token like I said having Strowman come out there was a nice bit of trickery on the part of the WWE, but IMO it robbed us a bit of a promised showdown... Yeah we'll get it later but even if you set aside the Roman hate I think Strowman taking the bumps then saying screw it I'm cashing in now and then making it a triple threat would have been far more satisfying... It also would have quasi-justified the brief Owens match... which I'm sure was part of their strategy that they tricked us into thinking hey Braun barely fought earlier so of course he'll be fighting again later.

Overall a good PPV... what they did well they did really well, and there were some really great matches on here. What they missed on in my opinion wasn't a colossal miss, just more I would have done things differently. They got their headlines with Rousey, and 3 new world champs in one night has to be a record....

Let's call it a very solid B+ for the night... Maybe even an A-.

Count Zero - 8-20-2018 at 06:09 AM

quote:
It was more fun that one would assume, kind of like a block war series in a Judge Dredd comic.
.... I understood that reference. gOOlly.

Flash - 8-20-2018 at 06:13 AM

Nope... apparently no "dark" finish for the live crowd... reports have it that Strowman simply got up, retrieved his briefcase, and headed to the back.

Sooooo on the plus side for Strowman, maybe he got two pay cheques for tonight and still has that briefcase he can carry stuff around in.

Okay, watching the Elf amongst men always makes me feel better....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5A_dLZkCk4

GodEatGod - 8-20-2018 at 08:28 AM

Best main roster PPV of the year and I'm not sure it's even close.

I stand by the idea that Ronda going over now is the right booking. Yes, she's a division killer, but you have to actually...y'know, let her kill the division if you're going to have her at all. Plus, that's literally what they said about her in UFC and guess what? Their division is doing fine.

I marked out for Roman winning. I don't even care. Fuck Brock's bloated carcass. When he took out Braun, I was thinking "Oh god, they're going to have him beat them both down and sneak away to UFC with the fucking belt". So glad I was wrong.

Dean not turning was a pleasant surprise, as was Becky turning on Charlotte. The squash matches served to make the show go faster as you expected those to be the plodding matches that would drag you down and instead they were quick flashes with crowd favorites winning decisively. Demon Balor rules.

I think literally my only complaint was the DQ finish in the Smackdown tag title match. I get what they were going for, but it was unsatisfying and took away from the finish to the Joe/AJ match later on. Plus, it was kind of a sloppy match all around.

Still, easy, big thumbs up from me.

gobbledygooker - 8-20-2018 at 01:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by GodEatGod
Dean not turning was a pleasant surprise

Yeah, I'm guessing they're going to want to run with Seth/Dean vs. Dolph/McIntyre for a good while yet, which I don't have a problem with as both teams are very strong at the moment. Before Dean's return, I was really thinking that some miscommunication between Dolph and Drew would lead to Seth getting the title back and we'd start working toward the slow burn of them breaking up toward SS/Rumble but Dean coming back threw that one out the window!

Some additional thoughts -

- God, the ending of that AJ/Joe match was just PERFECT. Joe delivering the line and AJ looking up with blood running down his face with that "What the FUCK did he just say?!" look is one of those iconic moments that'll stick around for years to come. And then AJ trying to hold his daughter with her "Daddy, you're bleeding." line. Just awesome all-around. Looking forward to more goodness in that little storyline.

- That Becky turn(?) was amazing as well. Easily the biggest pop I've ever seen her get. I just don't see how you don't end up turning Charlotte heel in that scenario. Which they could easily do by having her cut some kind of whiny "I just did what I had to do so sorry I'm the better wrestler!" promo.

- I don't know what was up with Bryan and Miz but I feel like they just never really clicked and the crowd was fairly dead for their match as well. And it kinda factors into the general malaise I've discussed here before since Bryan returned to the ring. Maybe his "My return has been a flop!" speech to Brie will get something going for him...maybe not.

- I also thought we were gonna get some kind of heel turn from the Bellas, either keeping Rhonda from winning or post-match, but nope, because apparently the crowd just LOVES them some Bellas and Total Divas (just don't pay attention to the chorus of boos for anything involving them last night).

First 9 - 8-20-2018 at 04:24 PM

AJ/Joe is second only to Austin/Angle,also at Summerslam oddly, as my favorite match with a dq finish. It wasn't solely a cop out or cheap finish to extend the rivalry, it was the intensiy getting dialed the hell up because of Joe's antics.

Planet Starbucks - 8-20-2018 at 05:42 PM

Last night, after he saved us all, I gazed in awe at Roman's Samoan face. Five years it has taken me to learn what kind of star was hidden beneath that mediocre exterior. O cruel, needless misunderstanding! O stubborn, self-willed exile from Vince's breast! Two smark scented tears trickled down the sides of my nose. But it is all right, everything is all right, the struggle is finished. I have won the victory over myself. I love Roman Reigns.

Paddlefoot - 8-20-2018 at 06:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Count Zero
quote:
.... I understood that reference. gOOlly.

The tag match was so cartoon-y, and not in a bad way either, that all they needed to make it complete was a robot circling the ring with a recording coming from it's speakers that went "eat recycled food! eat recycled food!" over and over and over again.

williamssl - 8-20-2018 at 06:30 PM

Brock is owed a rematch. Be interesting to see if they even go that route.

I can see a scenario of them pulling it tonight since Brock is supposed to be on TV....but having a quick DQ finish where Strowman gets involved and attacks Brock or both of them and that obligation is over...plus fans will be cheering Braun as opposed to booing Reigns at that outcome.

Yay?

DKBroiler - 8-20-2018 at 08:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by williamssl
Brock is owed a rematch. Be interesting to see if they even go that route.

I can see a scenario of them pulling it tonight since Brock is supposed to be on TV....but having a quick DQ finish where Strowman gets involved and attacks Brock or both of them and that obligation is over...plus fans will be cheering Braun as opposed to booing Reigns at that outcome.

Yay?

If Lesnar v Cormier happens in January he very well might not be legally aloud to enter a ring for 30 to 90 days. UFC (but really itís the Fight Commission) issues mandatory suspensions after fights. It usually reads like ďfighter X beat fighter Y by 1st round TKO, fighter X is suspended from activity for 2 weeks, fighter Y is suspended for a minimum of 6 weeks pending a doctorís re-evaluationĒ.

And since Cormier is going to rip his head clear off his shoulders I would expect a fairly lengthy suspension.

Side note ... if Cormier wins there is a legit chance he retires as champ. Donít be shocked if the rematch is next year at SummerSlam.

williamssl - 8-20-2018 at 08:56 PM

Were you even responding to my post that you quoted? Or just quoting a random post and then replying with whatever was on your mind?

janerd75 - 8-20-2018 at 10:39 PM

quote:
Were you even responding to my post that you quoted? Or just quoting a random post and then replying with whatever was on your mind?

Let him go Tex. He's icOOnic, he knows what he's doing.

williamssl - 8-20-2018 at 11:18 PM

quote:

CCharger - 8-20-2018 at 11:22 PM

Reigns beats guy that is less liked than he is.

Fans cheer that guy that they like less than Reigns lost.

WWE stans: "Yo, Vince did it, you guys. Roman's finally over! I think I like him now."

DKBroiler - 8-20-2018 at 11:33 PM

quote:

Lol ... I saw Brock rematch and figured Iíd mention it.

DKBroiler - 8-20-2018 at 11:34 PM

quote:
quote:

HighcOOnic!

williamssl - 8-20-2018 at 11:44 PM