DKBroiler
SpeciASSl CUMedian

Posts 3360
Registered 1-25-2008
Location One Inch Right of Philly on a Map

Mood: Old

posted on 8-17-2018 at 04:40 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
SummerSlam is IcOOnic Thread of UnOOficialness

SummerSlam is Sunday. Iíve heard itís a fairly large show thatís supposed to be important. Maybe we should discuss it.

Iíll start with a wild idea. I think that Cedric Alexander should retain his CW Championship cleanly as a face and then 2 hours later lay Fin Balor out so that Corbin beats him.

On Monday - or right then - Alexander can say how he has been the CW Champ for 5 months and gotten zero airtime on Raw while Balor gets a match every week and is scared of fighting guys his own size. Of course it makes no sense why Balor would be afraid of 200 pounders and not 300 pounders but itís heel bluster so who cares.

This would allow Corbin to softly move on, and put the shine back on 205 Live by having Alexander on Raw as well. Fin.

Reigning, Defending, Undisputed, Half of an Award One Time Winner

First 9
The Immortal One

Posts 4277
Registered 1-22-2013

Mood:

posted on 8-17-2018 at 06:35 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
On paper this is one of the grander ppvs they've had in years.

The Main events have two of the longest World Title reigns in history possibly coming to an end.One of the most famous athletes, top 5 if we only include combat sports, on Earth is challenging for the Woman's Title. Plus one of the best, long-running rivalries in the last 15 years hits it's crescendo.

Even down in the midcard we have the most popular tag team in a quite a while in New Day getting their shine back after constantly having great matches and now are ready to add another Title reign to their resume.Then there's Rollins and Ziggler providing a nice steak with a returning Ambrose to provide the sizzle and the SD's Women's match which has been nicely built up.

So props to WWE for the build up, now let's hope they can pace it properly. Even catching the shows later to avoid fatigue isn't working because you can tell the crowd is worn out and it brings down the matches even if one is watching it with fresh eyes.

CCharger
The Man

Posts 5047
Registered 7-21-2010

Mood: Sick of hokey shit

posted on 8-17-2018 at 08:00 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote

"I don't watch the show, Paul. Why would I watch the show?"

"I hate it when I'm watching along at home and I'm envisioning certain common sense things, and WWE just leaves all that money on the table to do something that will have no result other than send viewers looking for something else."

-- The Rick

punkerhardcore
American Dream

Posts 8348
Registered 7-16-2005

Mood: Lickable

posted on 8-17-2018 at 10:28 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I have two predictions about the show:

1. Miz vs. Bryan doesn't actually happen, for one reason or another.

2. It'll be Demon Finn, not regular style Finn, who faces Baron Corbin.

DKBroiler
SpeciASSl CUMedian

Posts 3360
Registered 1-25-2008

posted on 8-19-2018 at 02:52 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Iíll assume you everyone is still in catatonic shock from NXTís greatness last night cause otherwise Iíd be remiss not to notice the distinct lack of posts about smark Wrestlemania.

Itís almost like an amazing lineup of matches isnít worth talking about. Do we need to add a celebrity in here so we can at least get 45 posts about why we donít need a celebrity guest?

shashwat mishra
Showstopper

Posts 855
Registered 9-27-2002
Location Bhubaneswar, India

Mood: Saving Money

posted on 8-19-2018 at 03:55 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I am going to switch on the TV and watch this as I am pretty excited about the card. While I have no hopes of the WWE actually going in any direction that I want them to, I would love for the following to happen:

1) Roman Reigns to beat Lazy Lesnar convincingly. Zero chance of this actually playing out. Anyone who supports Lesnar here probably also cheers on when a less deserving employee gets ahead every damn time in the company simply because his boss likes him. I don't believe Lesnar brings in more merchandise sales than Roman. He certainly doesn't care to wrestle anymore. He isn't more popular. His "look" isn't better.

I have no wish to see Lesnar (or even Heyman) again for a long time. Even the bloody promos of are grating. The same stuff every single time. Roman is loved by the boss too but he deserves a clean victory payoff here for all the losses he took to that part timer and we can then actually have a champion who shows up and works hard. I don't even care if he drops it five minutes later to Braun. A Lesnar retention is a slap on the face of every hardworking wrestler out there.

2) Samoa Joe to win that title in a 4.5 star- 5 star match. Certainly possible despite the doubters at 411mania and he will be an awesome bad ass champion who takes on all comers day in day out. And AJ could chase in an epic series of rematches. WWE will probably go with Styles retaining though. Do they trust Joe to stay injury free?

3) Carmella moving on to reality TV instead of wrestling and joining the Kardashians or Big Brother. Jinder Mahal is Ric Flair if Carmella is worthy of being champion. Therefore, she will most likely retain and I will proceed to eat my breakfast very angrily (4.30 am is when Summerslam starts in India and I am guessing I will be angry by 7 am). Oh Becky, I pray for you. With all the passion of a casual fan of redheads! I am looking forward to you and Charlotte starting an intense hot potato feud for 6 months.

OORick
Monkey on a Rock

Posts 4476
Registered 12-27-2001
Location - The Birthplace of Aviation

Mood: See You in Hell ;)

posted on 8-19-2018 at 07:52 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Tip o' the cap to y'all for getting this thread rolling before my lazy ass got around to it. The industriousness is appreciated!

Just for reference, here's tonight's full card:

BROCK LESNAR vs. ROMAN REIGNS (WWEU Title)
AJ STYLES vs. SAMOA JOE (WWE Title)
DANIEL BRYAN vs. THE MIZ (Ultimate Grudge Match of Long Term Percolation)
ALEXA BLISS vs. RONDA ROUSEY (RAW Women's Title)
BRAUN STROWMAN vs. KEVIN OWENS (If Braun loses via ANY means, Owens wins the MitB Briefcase)
DOLPH ZIGGLER vs. SETH ROLLINS (IC Title)
SHINSUKE NAKAMURA vs. JEFF HARDY(US Title)
BLUDGEON BROTHERS vs. NEW DAY (SD Tag Titles)
CARMELLA vs. BECKY LYNCH vs. CHARLOTTE (SD Women's Title)
FINN BALOR vs. BORING CAREN
ELIAS PERFORMS HIS "GREATEST SONG EVER"

And on the kick-off show (which begins at 5pm eastern and lasts 2 hours), we're getting 3 additional matches: B-Team vs. the Revival (RAW Tag Titles)... Cedric Alexander vs. Drew Gulak (Cruiserweight Title)... and Rusev/Lana vs. Almas/Zelina...

It's fixing to be a long night -- possibly as long as 7 hours, all told -- and there's a very good chance that it all ends on a sour note given that a PPV crowd in NYC is bound to have much antipathy towards Roman Reigns. And not a whole lot of love for Brock, either.

But that said, all the pieces are in place for this to be one hell of a show. If AJ/Joe, Bryan/Miz, Dolph/Rollins (w/ bonus antics from McIntyre and Ambrose), and Braun/Owens all live up reasonable expectations, that right there is an obscene surplus of great in-ring action. Throw in the likelihood that Rousey hits another home run in terms of "big fight feel" and the possibility that WWE has some kind of trick up its sleeve for the main event (the reveal of a New Paul Heyman Guy, MitB cash-in, or other swerve), and you'll have plenty of sizzle to go with that steak, too.

There's certainly a bit of filler in there, too -- and it will be even more noticeable coming off the utterly remarkable NXT show last night that had exactly 0 minutes of material that was less than red hot and awesome -- but none of it looks to be offensive. Well, so long as Corbin loses to Balor in relatively short order. Otherwise, that one could quickly become patience-trying.

But yeah: on the whole, I'm moderately stoked.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7846
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 8-19-2018 at 09:21 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I'm looking forward to tonight's show, as the WWE has really stacked the card this year. My predictions:

Brock Lensar vs Roman Reigns: Like their last match, I'm more intrigued by the crowd reaction and what the booking will be than the match itself. I really have no idea what's going to happen, but you can't have Roman fail yet again against Brock, so I'll pick him to win the title tonight (though a MITB cash-in is always possible as well).

AJ Styles vs Samoa Joe: It's pretty insane we're getting this match not only in a WWE ring, but on their second-biggest PPV of the year and for the WWE title. There have been multiple times I thought AJ was going to drop the belt over the last eight months, but here he is still WWE champion, so it's hard to bet against him. But this just feels like Joe's time, as he's been killing it ever since going to Smackdown, so I'm going with him to take the belt off of AJ tonight (with that said, I'd have no complaints if AJ's title reign continues, just because I'd like to see how close to a year-long title reign he can get).

Daniel Bryan vs The Miz: This feud has been awesome so far and the match definitely has show-stealing potential. I'll pick Bryan to win, though it wouldn't shock me to see Miz win via nefarious means.

Dolph Ziggler vs Seth Rollins: I've thoroughly enjoyed all things Dolph/Seth thus far, so hopefully they blow the roof off the Barclays Center in their final match tonight. I know some are calling for an Ambrose heel turn, but I don't see it happening tonight. Seth seems like the obvious winner here, with Ambrose being the equalizer against McIntyre.

Alexa Bliss vs Ronda Rousey: Before Jim Neidhart passed away, I was about 80% certain that Natty was going to turn on Ronda during this match and Alexa would win. But I don't really see how they can go that route now, so I'm thinking the WWE just says fuck it and has Ronda win tonight (plus with the Alexa/Trish announcement, it makes more sense for that match not to have the RAW women's title involved).

Kevin Owens vs Braun Strowman: The "Braun can lose his MITB shot via any means" stipulations makes me think that Owens has a chance to win, but let's get real...Braun ain't losing here. With that said, these two have worked well together in the past, so hopefully this is a fun match.

Nakamura vs Jeff Hardy: I'm sure we get some RKO interference here, but either way, Nakamura retains.

The Bludgeon Brothers vs The New Day: This is one of those matches where I feel like no matter which team I pick, I'm going to be wrong. But I'll go with New Day to win.

Carmella vs Becky Lynch vs Charlotte Flair: A triple threat match is tailor-made for Carmella to sneak out a victory, but I'm going to pick Becky to win.

Finn Balor vs Baron Corbin: Baron Corbin took one step forward by finally shaving his skullet and two steps back by starting to wrestle in dress clothes. Please just let Finn win this match and move onto something else.

DKBroiler
SpeciASSl CUMedian

Posts 3360
Registered 1-25-2008

posted on 8-19-2018 at 10:07 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Looking at it now ... good lord thatís a lot of wrasslin. I gotta think that Bryan v Miz is the MOTN but itís quite possible that a half dozen matches could as well.

Also, well said about NXT there Rick. There were zero wasted minutes. There are always wasted minutes. Not last night. Tough act to follow.

Ortonmustdie
Fella

Posts 364
Registered 6-30-2008

Mood: Plotting

posted on 8-19-2018 at 11:25 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Watching the Kickoff Show:

Samoa Joe is just a glorious bastard, with his little aside to Rene about "Hey, glad your lazy ass boyfriend is back to work!"

Awesome!

DevilSoprano
Pee Wee's Plaything

Posts 8051
Registered 11-16-2002

Mood:

posted on 8-20-2018 at 12:03 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Live chat available again:

https://discord.gg/HMZKkHt

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   DevilSoprano 's Aim   DevilSoprano 's Yahoo
the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7846
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 8-20-2018 at 12:10 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I'm already digging Ziggler's Rick Rude-style tights with the IC title on them.

shashwat mishra
Showstopper

Posts 855
Registered 9-27-2002

posted on 8-20-2018 at 12:14 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Who is this Drew guy?
His entrance as a non participant was highlighted better than the IC champion's entrance.

Stuck in the 1980s.

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 11091
Registered 1-19-2008
Location put in my place, again

Mood: dooooonnn't care!

posted on 8-20-2018 at 12:20 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Ambrose looks like someone who wants to go and punch out idiots at an Antifa/alt-Reich riot just for laffs.

Well you know, just because these young men have little education and live in squalor, it doesn't entitle them to commit antisocial behaviour and get away with it.

Y'know, families really do absolutely fucking suck. They're the true source of everything that fucks up someone's life. Would have been better off to have been born into a vat and raised by a government robot.

janerd75
The Man

Posts 6445
Registered 1-28-2013
Location Peninsula del pinga

Mood: Pumpkinheaded dipshit

posted on 8-20-2018 at 12:24 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Tonight, the role of Dolph Ziggler-esque brutal overselling is being played by Seth Rollins.

Also, Dean standing face to face with Drew is only slightly shorter than the Scottish giant. SCDP is SWOLE!

ďA wise man once told me, never turn your back on someone you respect, or that youíre afraid of.Ē - Jake The Snake

Catch-As-Catch-Can: The Non-Specific Wrestling Thread

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 11091
Registered 1-19-2008

posted on 8-20-2018 at 12:32 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Four GOLLYS! out of five match!

Well you know, just because these young men have little education and live in squalor, it doesn't entitle them to commit antisocial behaviour and get away with it.

Y'know, families really do absolutely fucking suck. They're the true source of everything that fucks up someone's life. Would have been better off to have been born into a vat and raised by a government robot.

shashwat mishra
Showstopper

Posts 855
Registered 9-27-2002

posted on 8-20-2018 at 12:33 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Oh a very strong sequence at the end of that IC Title match.
What about that awesome inverted suplex off the top rope? Kudos to both men.

Stuck in the 1980s.

bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7945
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

Mood: Stratusfied

posted on 8-20-2018 at 12:34 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Much like last night, the opening is daring folks to try and top that. Really good match. No Dean turn being rushed. Good start.

ETA: fuckity fuck...with rumours of Nikki vs Ronda at Evolution....

[Edited on 8-19-2018 by bigfatgoalie]

DKBroiler
SpeciASSl CUMedian

Posts 3360
Registered 1-25-2008

posted on 8-20-2018 at 12:40 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
That Bellas promo should have been presented by Anvil.

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 11091
Registered 1-19-2008

posted on 8-20-2018 at 12:40 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Li'l Naitch!

shashwat mishra
Showstopper

Posts 855
Registered 9-27-2002

posted on 8-20-2018 at 12:46 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Do the Bellas actually have an audience?
Nasty comment - they look way older than 34.

Unable to care about this Tag match.

Stuck in the 1980s.

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 11091
Registered 1-19-2008

posted on 8-20-2018 at 12:51 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
It was more fun that one would assume, kind of like a block war series in a Judge Dredd comic.

royberto
I Do Not Know What Words Mean

Posts 1259
Registered 2-27-2014

Mood: Troll Detector

posted on 8-20-2018 at 12:52 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by shashwat mishra

Unable to care about this Tag match.
Over a million subscribers to their YouTube channel, so I guess they do.

Rising above the trolls

janerd75
The Man

Posts 6445
Registered 1-28-2013
Location Peninsula del pinga

Mood: Pumpkinheaded dipshit

posted on 8-20-2018 at 12:58 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by shashwat mishra

IcOOnic comment, Meltzerchod! #OUTRAAAAAAAAAAAAGE!

ďA wise man once told me, never turn your back on someone you respect, or that youíre afraid of.Ē - Jake The Snake

Catch-As-Catch-Can: The Non-Specific Wrestling Thread

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 11091
Registered 1-19-2008

posted on 8-20-2018 at 01:02 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Jesus Christ, Owens.

<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top