Board logo

OOfficial Discussion Thread for: RAW (February 26, 2018)
OORick - 2-27-2018 at 12:18 AM

Tonight on RAW: the Monday night crew have clear sailing ahead to WrestleMania 34, and the main question is how much do they focus on the pair of major marquee stories that are pretty well set versus making fresh progress on the stories we aren't clear on yet...

We know Brock Lesnar is in the house tonight, and his challenger is now scheduled to be Roman Reigns.... that said, Paul Heyman issued a threatening statement last night, suggesting that WM Comes Early, starting tonight, and whoever won the Elimination Chamber would begin receiving their ass-kicking from Brock effective immediately... plus, Braun Strowman beat the ever loving shit out of Reigns after last night's match.... so if WWE has another card to play to make the erstwhile main event of WM34 less of a Festival of Shitting Upon Roman, tonight's certainly set up to be the night they play it...

Also, last night's events more or less cemented Kurt Angle as the likely tag partner for Ronda Rousey in a mixed tag Stunt Casting Special Attraction Match, against Stephanie and HHH... expect tonight to begin with StepHHH all trying to be cool and pretending to smooth it over, before springing a trap and giving us our first instance of Rousey looking vulnerable...

Pressing those two issues hard while laying off any other major developments would probably be "enough show" for one night.... but at present there are no clear challengers for either the tag or IC titles, we're still waiting for Asuka to declare which women's title she wants to go for (and last night almost seemed to swing things in favor of her sticking on RAW to challenge Alexa), and John Cena has made a whole big story of how he doesn't have "a path" to Mania and how he's going to have to break with etiquette in order to open one up... any one of those 4 issues would be a pretty big deal in and of itself...

All that, plus you know have two major main event caliber players in Braun Strowman and Seth Rollins, ostensibly on the outside looking in, when it comes to having anything to do at WM.... and it seems unlikely that we're done with Hardy/Wyatt yet, either... throw in a secondary RAW-centric women's story (which should be Bayley vs. Sasha), and that's up to 10 major stories brewing, and there's no way RAW's putting 10 matches on the WM34 card, even if it is 6 hours long (including the preshow).... so I guess what I'm saying is, we've reached the part of the year when even premium talents might be relegated to sub-premium spots on the show.... good for making it feel like 3 hours worth of RAW has been fully well-spent, but bad for anybody below the upper-mid-card having aspirations for much of anything besides Token Entry Into the Andre Battle Royale....

That is all. End communication.

The flOOr is yours, OO Nation. Don't wait till after 11pm to post, either. Pre-show previewing and prognosticating is certainly welcome. So discuss, debate, and rate!

Paddlefoot - 2-27-2018 at 01:02 AM

And the weekly three-hour binge of fanookery begins again.......

Il Palazzo - 2-27-2018 at 01:08 AM

And we kick the night off with the woman who has irreparably wreckt the RAM women's division! Also Mickie. How will Tiny Dancer ruin the RAM women's division TONIGHT??? Wonderfully, I hope.

janerd75 - 2-27-2018 at 01:15 AM

I ruv you Arexa!!!

DKBroiler - 2-27-2018 at 01:17 AM

Iím 100% certain Royberto loved that opening segment.

Paddlefoot - 2-27-2018 at 01:19 AM

See, that's what an actual heel beatdown looks like, it's not what Sasha did to Bayley in an everyone-for-themselves match like EC.

janerd75 - 2-27-2018 at 01:21 AM

What's the over/under (lol, betting terms I don't understand) on the speed of the #outrage for my new favorite wrasslin' midgette mildly going all, "YOU NO SPEAK-EE ENGRISH GOOD!" on Asuka?

Paddlefoot - 2-27-2018 at 01:26 AM

The racism is OK this time because Vince wrote it himself.

That's some mighty fine heelery by the beefy gal.

Sexism by Coach by calling them "ladies"? #smashpatriarchy!

Crazy Japanese women own. Ought to form a big pack of them, give them all swords and axes, and send them to Syria to carve up jihadis and Russians.

[Edited on 2/27/2018 by Paddlefoot]

janerd75 - 2-27-2018 at 01:35 AM

Good on the dames for winning the crowd over. Also, what the fuck Graves? Just say Sasha sucks donkey shit and get it over with. GEEZ!

Me rikey dis matchuru!!!

Paddlefoot - 2-27-2018 at 01:44 AM

Beachball interruption in mid-Cena?

Il Palazzo - 2-27-2018 at 01:46 AM

And here I was thinking that what Cena should've done a long time ago was turn heel.

I feel like this could prove to be a decent match. Old Man Cena vs. Older Man Taker has a decent ring to it. If it's happening, since now it sounds like it WON'T happen. Which of course means it will.

janerd75 - 2-27-2018 at 01:47 AM

HE DEED IT HE DEED IT HE CHALLENGED THE UNDERTAKER BAH GAWD!

Also, yes why the fuck not?

ETA: Not for nothing, Cena is a once-in-a-lifetime spokesman and face of the WWE with abilities to be broad-spectrum appealing and a believable company man that nobody outside of maybe The Miz have the chops to replace.

[Edited on 2-27-2018 by janerd75]

Cherokee Jack - 2-27-2018 at 01:48 AM

Last fall:

Roman: I beat the Undertaker at Wrestlemania
Cena: Congratulations, you beat an old man with a bad hip

Tonight:

Cena: Iím out here to issue a Wrestlemania CHALLENGE to the UNDAHTAKAAAHHHHHH

*sigh*

Paddlefoot - 2-27-2018 at 02:01 AM

"Baddest woman on the planet"? They signed Thug Rose too?

Il Palazzo - 2-27-2018 at 02:02 AM

I want to remain hopeful about this continuing Hardy/Wyatt stuff! I assume it could end with a bunch of that amazingly ridiculous taped insanity! And yet so far it's just some matches, synchronized cackling, indecipherable promos, and Bray assaulting WWE's Jobber-est Tag Team. Or at least RAM'S Jobber-est Tag Team.

janerd75 - 2-27-2018 at 02:10 AM

Miz losin' he gotdayum mind agayn. I love you Miz!

Paddlefoot - 2-27-2018 at 02:11 AM

Anyone cheering for Miz right now is doing the wrestle-fan wrong and should be forced to re-read the official fan-role guidebook.

williamssl - 2-27-2018 at 02:21 AM

THE HYPOCRISY IS DEAFENING

janerd75 - 2-27-2018 at 02:31 AM

BOOOOLINS! BOOOOOLINS!!!!

Wayment, who's this rough trading bog-trotter in the leather digs?!?

Behold, The Maryse Contingency for the I.C. Title!

Paddlefoot - 2-27-2018 at 02:48 AM

Not your usual Irish smile, I'll grant you......

Knuckleball Schwartz reference by Graves FTW!

janerd75 - 2-27-2018 at 02:58 AM

FUCKIN' ReBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

ETA: Can. You. Fucking. Hear. This. Vince?!?!

ETA2: Lol, butch toughguy "Brock's not here" promo from Roman. NO SALE PUPU PLATTER MAN! #roybertolivesmatter #mondaydrank #soghey

Elias y Braun >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Roman

Paddlefoot - 2-27-2018 at 03:05 AM

Great promo. Probably spoke for a huge part of the audience who are sick and tired of new guys being sold out to the Old School and especially of the part-timers collecting the biggest pay.

janerd75 - 2-27-2018 at 03:09 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Paddlefoot
Great promo. Probably spoke for a huge part of the audience who are sick and tired of new guys being sold out to the Old School and especially of the part-timers collecting the biggest pay.

the goon - 2-27-2018 at 03:12 AM

So I wonder if Brock not being there was a legit last minute thing or if it was always the WWE's intention to have him "no show" to further along the storyline.

Either way, that was a pretty damn solid promo out of Reigns and if he keeps that up, he may get more than a 30/70 crowd reaction before WrestleMania (I mean, he'll probably still get booed by 50% of the audience but hey, that's still an improvement).

Paddlefoot - 2-27-2018 at 03:24 AM

Charly is the best Charly.

janerd75 - 2-27-2018 at 03:32 AM

Get this pointless female interviewer dimwit out of the ring and off my screen!!! #LongLiveThePatriarchy

Also, Roman's addition by subtraction holds no water with this pOOster! ReBOOOOOOOOOOOOO4Lyfe!!!!

No lie, Jarius "JJ" Robertson is AWEEEEESOME!!!!!!

ETA: I WANT TO WALK!!! PICK ME PICK ME!!!!!!

Lol, Vince and Bukkuke Dunn think Roman > Braun/Elias

ETA2: Pay attention dicklovers, 'cause this match betwixt Elias and Braun is the future of the WWE.

Columbo - 2-27-2018 at 03:52 AM

quote:
Originally posted by the goon
So I wonder if Brock not being there was a legit last minute thing or if it was always the WWE's intention to have him "no show" to further along the storyline.

I'd bet my left nut that it was always WWE's intention for him to "no show". That being said good promo Roman it only took you 5 years, also I still don't give a fuck Roman Coronation part 93.

bigfatgoalie - 2-27-2018 at 03:56 AM

Elias is reaching the point of being played out. His limited ring skills arenít helping.

Il Palazzo - 2-27-2018 at 04:03 AM

I get that it fits into our Main Event Promo Time, but it's a bit lame to replay a video from the start of the show at the end. WHAT IS THIS, A WWE SHOW?!?!

janerd75 - 2-27-2018 at 04:05 AM

quote:
Originally posted by bigfatgoalie
Elias is reaching the point of being played out. His limited ring skills arenít helping.

Count Zero - 2-27-2018 at 04:09 AM

quote:
And this means we'll see him for the next 4 years, exactly as-is, in or around the main event. WWE: Never Changing The Characters You Love Until It's Too Late.

bigfatgoalie - 2-27-2018 at 05:27 AM

quote:
Originally posted by janerd75
quote:

I'm sorry, but when you've had this

...you don't put up with Elias gimmick. And when you have Crossfit Jesus, Smiling Irish Man, and even ReBOOOOOOO, Elias seems ridiculously out of place.

Paddlefoot - 2-27-2018 at 05:51 AM

Could improve it some with Elias going full-slappy with a few weeks worth of Jarrett-esque guitar smashings. Hitting people with guitars (not those poorly disguised hardened-foam ones from WCW though) for a while usually makes things in Our Sport somewhat better.

CVD39 - 2-27-2018 at 07:54 AM

It looks like they're going to do Miz/Rollins/Balor for WM but I think they should add Elias and Brawn (and maybe Crews for another body) and make it a Ladder Match. I figure they don't want to take away the main gimmick from one of the next PPVs but this could be good to cover for Miz if he's not there (instead of a singles/triple threat without the title holder.....the ladder stipulation could cover for that) and it would add more dudes on an already long night. I figure they'll do (from the Raw side):

Lesnar/Rollins
Bliss/Asuka
Rousey/Steph?
Hardy/Bray or Hardy & Bray versus someone. (barf)
The Bar versus Hardy & Bray (barf) or Anderson/Gallows and The Revival in a tornado match? or someone else?
Bayley/Banks

That's already 6 matches on their side plus the IC match plus whatever with Brawn and Elias (whether together or separate) plus Cena/UT. There were only 10 matches last year on the main card.

quote:
Originally posted by Paddlefoot
Not your usual Irish smile, I'll grant you......

Knuckleball Schwartz reference by Graves FTW!

Hey, Shane got 'em fixed. Or at least he did a few years ago so maybe he crashed then out again while passing out. He's 60 and I have no idea how.

Flash - 2-27-2018 at 09:02 AM

Caught the Reigns promo and while I think that's probably some of his best work on the mic there's a part of me that wonders if pulling Brock (I'm assuming he didn't just no show) and letting Reigns loose like that is such a good idea.

I'm thinking it's somewhat common knowledge that Lesnar is likely done come WM; and the once upon a time novelty of the Beast seems to be wearing thin based on a lot of board comments... and getting pics with UFC's Dana White while a WWE PPV was going on is a pretty big slap in the face (even if it doesn't correspond hour by hour to the PPV; the weekend is a still a dick move)... kind of feels like a recipe for Brock getting booed like he was back at WM XX...

I will say that the Reigns promo from tonight helped sell their match, and I'm sure he'll do everything he can to bust his ass out there to make the match great... but look at last nights comments... one promo and a bit of truth probably isn't going to stop Reigns from getting booed when his hand is lifted at the end of the night.

It's like Reigns scored a few points tonight, but is still a negative with a lot of fans; and all tonight did was bring Lesnar down more than it helped Reigns.

Of course with all things in wrestling; it will come down to how they follow tonight up.

royberto - 2-27-2018 at 12:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by DKBroiler
Iím 100% certain Royberto loved that opening segment.
No, because racism is nver OK. But you and the others ignore it because the woman uttering it puts a boner in your shorts. But it is nice to know racism is OK in your book. Gives a picture of what kind of a person you are.

Frank Lloyd Wright - 2-27-2018 at 04:43 PM

Was it my imagination, or was that sneaky Cena trying to gauge our interest in a Wrestlemania matchup between himself and Taker? The mindless marks in the live audience not being considered, the answer is "NO" John!

So he pointed out his failures at the Rumble and at Elimination Chamber. What's next, a third failure at Wrestlemania against a twice beaten Taker? Where in the fuck would that leave his wrestling career? Two options, straight to retirement or a heel turn. Who thinks a heel turn is around the corner? I don't. Looking forward to you wasting our time on Smackdown John!

First 9 - 2-27-2018 at 05:18 PM

I still think there's a lot of fun things he could do. Chasing the IC Title to get the Grand Slam, real run in the tag team division with an oddball partner(Rusev would be guaranteed gold), chasing and obessing over a newer star who has his number,

Targeting Taker almost seems kind of heelish. New guys keep kicking my ass, fuck it I'll go after an over the hill legend to get an easy win at Wrestlemania.

royberto - 2-27-2018 at 08:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by First 9
I still think there's a lot of fun things he could do. Chasing the IC Title to get the Grand Slam, real run in the tag team division with an oddball partner(Rusev would be guaranteed gold), chasing and obessing over a newer star who has his number,

Targeting Taker almost seems kind of heelish. New guys keep kicking my ass, fuck it I'll go after an over the hill legend to get an easy win at Wrestlemania.
Not if Taker ends up challenging Cena. Remember, he said the company told him the match wouldn't happen. He also back when going against Reigns called Taker "an old man with a broken hip". So, after Cena fails at Fastlane, He comes back to Raw where Taker challenges him to prove to Cena that he can still go. This is where I believe they are going with this. There is no way they tease Cena-Taker that blatantly and not actuallly have the match.

Taker wins at Mania and gets a real send off into retirement.

[Edited on 2-27-2018 by royberto]

Frank Lloyd Wright - 2-27-2018 at 10:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by royberto

So, you let Taker leave on a high to wrap up his career, but you flush Cena down the toilet? Again, per my last post, where does that leave Cena (the franchise for the last 15 years plus)? A guy who will have failed for the third time according to his standards.

[Edited on 2-27-2018 by Frank Lloyd Wright]

Count Zero - 2-28-2018 at 04:30 AM

You cannot reason someone out of a position they didn't use reason to arrive at.

royberto - 2-28-2018 at 09:49 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Frank Lloyd Wright
quote:

So, you let Taker leave on a high to wrap up his career, but you flush Cena down the toilet? Again, per my last post, where does that leave Cena (the franchise for the last 15 years plus)? A guy who will have failed for the third time according to his standards.

[Edited on 2-27-2018 by Frank Lloyd Wright]
Cena's issue right now is just getting a match at Wrestlemania. That will be accomplished by getting challenged by Taker. I'm not flushing Cena down the toilet, especially if they can have a good match.

First 9 - 2-28-2018 at 09:53 PM

Honestly, a Taker win makes the most sense. Cena is after glory so finally getting his dream match but coming up short isn't a big deal. Compare that to Taker who'd be coming back just to be a whiny asshole's consolation prize.

royberto - 2-28-2018 at 11:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by First 9
Honestly, a Taker win makes the most sense. Cena is after glory so finally getting his dream match but coming up short isn't a big deal. Compare that to Taker who'd be coming back just to be a whiny asshole's consolation prize.
Taker would also be coming back to show Cena that he isn't a "old man with a bad hip".

GodEatGod - 3-1-2018 at 12:04 AM

quote:

Taker would also be coming back to show Cena that he isn't a "old man with a bad hip".

Except he is, which is why he shouldn't come back.

First 9 - 3-1-2018 at 12:35 AM

Now that I caught up with the whole show, are there any thoughts on the fact that Mickie was randomly turned heel?