Board logo

PPV DISCUSSION: RAW presents Elimination Chamber 2018
OORick - 2-25-2018 at 10:35 PM

PPV tonight. And while the women continue to equal the men, gimmick match for gimmick match, neither Chamber contest seems likely to shift us off the expected course for WrestleMania 34.

Here's the as-announced card:

Men's Elimination Chamber Match (for a shot against WWEU Champ Brock Lesnar) (Roman Reigns, Braun Strowman, John Cena, Miz, Elias, Finn Balor, Seth Rollins)
Women's Elimination Chamber Match (for the RAW Women's Title) (Champ Alexa Bliss, Sasha Banks, Bayley, Mickie James, Mandy Rose, Sonya DeVille)
Sheamus & Cesaro vs. Apollo Crews & Titus O'Neil (RAW Tag Title Match)
Asuka vs. Nia Jax (If Jax Wins, She Also Receives a WM Title Shot, Or Something Like That)
Matt Hardy vs. Bray Wyatt
Ronda Rousey Contract Signing
The Good Brothers vs. The Miztourage (Kick Off Show)

Roman Reigns winning the WWEU Title from Brock Lesnar at WM34 has been Vince's Masterplan since last summer, and there's little indication that he's been talked off it. I'd give Strowman a fighting chance, as WWE's best option for a swerve, too, but not much else for the other 5. [Demoralized Cena seems to be an on-purpose narrative, so he has to lose to continue it; challenging Taker then becomes his "path" to WM. Miz is the IC Champ, and the most credible he's been in years, but is also going to be booked in a way that makes it possible to miss WM, if his child's birth happens to coincide. I guess maybe Rollins would have a case for a very outside shot, too, if WWE totally decided to shake things up after Jordan's injury.]

Likewise, I'm having a hard time envisioning a WM scenario where Alexa isn't defending against Nia Jax... so the Goddess is your odds-on favorite to win the first ever Women's Chamber Match. But the stipulation for Asuka/Jax is convoluted enough that I honestly have no idea if it even matters who wins that one (since the plan has always been for Asuka to take her Rumble win and go challenge Charlotte, anyway)...

The Bar retain. Revival and/or Good Brothers step up in time for Mania (Triple Threat with those guys could be outstanding).

Hardy/Wyatt either goes to a non-finish, or a less-than-clean win for Matt (to make up for Wyatt going over at RAW 25). In either case, a non-decisive way to kick the can down the road, where WWE wants to do its own version of the Hardy Compound "Match" (and yes, Jeff Hardy returning in time to partake, before veering off to his own solo agenda, is a very real possibility).

Hot Ronda's contract signing means Rousey's in the same ring with GM Kurt Angle and Commish Stephanie McMahon. WWE really really wanted to get the Rock involved with Ronda's WM storyline, but I trust you all can do the math on the obvious back-up plan....

Gallows and Anderson win on the pre-show because aforementioned reason.

That is all. End communication...

williamssl - 2-25-2018 at 10:43 PM

quote:
Originally posted by OORick
Hardy/Wyatt either goes to a non-finish, or a less-than-clean win for Matt (to make up for Wyatt going over at RAW 25). In either case, a non-decisive way to kick the can down the road, where WWE wants to do its own version of the Hardy Compound "Match" (and yes, Jeff Hardy returning in time to partake, before veering off to his own solo agenda, is a very real possibility).

Posted by Matt yesterday:

pic.twitter.com/EZJtx2jTcL

— #WOKEN Matt Hardy (@MATTHARDYBRAND) February 25, 2018

DKBroiler - 2-26-2018 at 01:15 AM

Mandy Rose

janerd75 - 2-26-2018 at 01:18 AM

Sonya Deville

Paddlefoot - 2-26-2018 at 01:25 AM

Beat up that girl-nerd like it's locker-stuffing time in high school again!

janerd75 - 2-26-2018 at 01:41 AM

Godit, Mickie was on a roll. And we all know that's the best way to serve sloppy roast beef.

williamssl - 2-26-2018 at 01:46 AM

If these comments don't scream "Women's Revolution", I don't know what does.

Count Zero - 2-26-2018 at 01:48 AM

#MenToo

...Wait, that doesn't look right?

royberto - 2-26-2018 at 01:50 AM

I am going to barf. ANd now the fans making it worse. And what the fuck is the point of this promo? She is supposed to be a heel? This was absolutely booked by Bucky Beaver. He probably collapsed from all the orgasms he was having. The Raw women's division is officially dead.

[Edited on 2-26-2018 by royberto]

williamssl - 2-26-2018 at 01:51 AM

She did exactly what she was supposed to do. Heel'd. I love her.

bigfatgoalie - 2-26-2018 at 01:52 AM

So...did they fuck up there? Because is Asuka’s going to SmackDown to face Charlotte, Alexa turning face would have made a lot of sense.

DKBroiler - 2-26-2018 at 01:53 AM

quote:
Originally posted by royberto
I am going to barf. ANd now the fans making it worse. And what the fuck is the point of this promo? She is supposed to be a heel? This was absolutely booked by Bucky Beaver. He probably collapsed from all the orgasms he was having. The Raw women's division is officially dead.

Hahahaha what? Classic Roybs.

royberto - 2-26-2018 at 01:54 AM

quote:
Originally posted by bigfatgoalie
So...did they fuck up there? Because is Asuka’s going to SmackDown to face Charlotte, Alexa turning face would have made a lot of sense.
Nobody ever said Auska was facing Charlotte. It was assumed.

TownOfDalem - 2-26-2018 at 01:54 AM

quote:
Originally posted by williamssl
She did exactly what she was supposed to do. Heel'd. I love her.

Fact.

That match was really good, particularly once Mickie entered.

royberto - 2-26-2018 at 01:58 AM

quote:
Originally posted by DKBroiler
quote:

Hahahaha what?
Not BS when it is true. They buried Absolution, took Mickie out early, then had Alexa dominate both Bayley and Sasha. The shittiest wrestler just went over the entire division without breaking a sweat. More bullshit booking for Alexa Reigns.

Count Zero - 2-26-2018 at 02:03 AM

It has been awhile since we had a smeltdown* in these parts.

*That's a smark-meltdown.

royberto - 2-26-2018 at 02:04 AM

Never thought I wouls see the day when someone actually steals the Alexandra York gimmick.

janerd75 - 2-26-2018 at 02:04 AM

Mickie has been Champeenchimp caliber throughout her return run and is much better than the enhancement talent role she's in now. Shiiiiiiiit, the crowd was even pissed after she got eliminated. I like Mickie, the crowd likes Mickie, we've all seen't her biscuits...WTF Vince?!? #justiceformickie #saynotowweageism #allvagenesarebeautifuleventhegrossdanglyones

TownOfDalem - 2-26-2018 at 02:06 AM

What match was that guy watching?

Absolution got a couple minutes dominating early. Mickie came in and dominated before getting the multiple finisher treatment. Alexa stole a cheep pin on Bayley and the final fall was back and forth.

bigfatgoalie - 2-26-2018 at 02:09 AM

quote:
Not BS when it is true. They buried Absolution, took Mickie out early, then had Alexa dominate both Bayley and Sasha. The shittiest wrestler just went over the entire division without breaking a sweat. More bullshit booking for Alexa Reigns.

So the rookies making a rookie mistake = buried.

Mickie getting one of the bigger spots and an elimination = not in the match long enough.

Sasha and Bayley double teaming Alexa & Sasha no selling a Twisted Bliss off the pod = Bliss dominating.

FFS...Roy = 2018 Jackass Of The Year bOOardie Winner.

royberto - 2-26-2018 at 02:15 AM

quote:
Originally posted by TownOfDalem
What match was that guy watching?

Absolution got a couple minutes dominating early. Mickie came in and dominated before getting the multiple finisher treatment. Alexa stole a cheep pin on Bayley and the final fall was back and forth.
What match were you watching? Bayley was taking Absolution out with ease. they, and then Mickie got pinned before Alexa Reigns even got out of her pod. Then Alexa finally gets out and runs around until she gets shots in and then dominates 90% of the match, took almost nothing and pinned both Bayley and Sahsa clean without hardly any effort. That isn't how you book a chickenshit heel. You book her to get beaten into a pulp, but somehow manages to get fluke pins. You don't book her to dominate, especially after the whole build was around her being scared to even be in the match in the first place. You sure as hell don't have her cut that bullshit promo afterwards.

Assuming Auska goes to Smackdown to face Charlotte, there is absolutely nothing left of the Raw women's division. Everyone has been squashed to make Alexa Reigns look strong. Alexa pinning Nia clean after at Mania will be the cherry on the shit sundae.

DKBroiler - 2-26-2018 at 02:19 AM

Janerd: Can I get a Meng Ai avatar?

royberto - 2-26-2018 at 02:23 AM

quote:
So the rookies making a rookie mistake = buried.
Bayley kicking both their asses with ease = "making a rookie mistake"? Good one.

quote:
Mickie getting one of the bigger spots and an elimination = not in the match long enough.
They made a huge deal about how Mickie and Alexa Reigns formed an alliance in the build to the match, then job Mickie out before Alexa even gets in the match. Are you so dense as to not see how riculous that is?

quote:
Sasha and Bayley double teaming Alexa & Sasha no selling a Twisted Bliss off the pod = Bliss dominating.
What double teaming? They spent most of the time battling each other. Alexa Reigns got 95% of the offense when she was actually involved and got two clean pins. She got the big move off the cage and barely took any bumps. That pretty much is the definition of dominating.

It's quite hilarious watching people blindly defend this shit because it is the same booking Roman Reigns gets and you all bitch about that. The hypocrisy is astounding.

williamssl - 2-26-2018 at 02:24 AM

I can't wait for Becky to move to RAM post-WM and get jobbed to Alexa.

I have time traveled to the future and I have secretly filmed 'berto watching this happen:

OORick - 2-26-2018 at 02:26 AM

At least I finally understand the stipulation of this Asuka/Jax match.... if Jax wins, she follows Asuka into whatever title match Asuka picks. It is now (as I assumed), Jax automatically being added to the RAW title match, while Asuka is free to do whatever.

The latter is what made more sense (Asuka could lose her streak to Jax -- which is a halfway decent idea to get out of the way before a title match -- and then immediately get away from Nia by deciding to challenge Charlotte), but they never came even close to clarifying until ring intros tonight, and now we know it's the former.

Also, welcome back, berto! You've been failing to make me shake my head in bemusement for far too long!

[Edited on 2-26-2018 by OORick]

royberto - 2-26-2018 at 02:26 AM

quote:
I can't wait for Becky to move to RAM post-WM and get jobbed to Alexa.
YOu must have been in a coma for awhile. That already happened on Smackdown.

Flash - 2-26-2018 at 02:28 AM

I actually really likes Bliss's promo post match...

I'm happy for the ladies and the seriousness which they are now be treated with, and the benchmarks they are hitting; but one of my biggest pet peeves have been the post-match tears of joy/pride... save it for backstage; especially if you are a heel (looking at you Charlotte in the past)... Bliss totally trolled that and in the process got heat with the audience and made her my own personal treasure troll sized hero.

royberto - 2-26-2018 at 02:30 AM

So, Nia can't even kick out of THAT small package? The shit booking is going to astounding levels tonight.

Paddlefoot - 2-26-2018 at 02:30 AM

Run, JoJo! Run!

royberto - 2-26-2018 at 02:31 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Flash
I actually really likes Bliss's promo post match...

I'm happy for the ladies and the seriousness which they are now be treated with, and the benchmarks they are hitting; but one of my biggest pet peeves have been the post-match tears of joy/pride... save it for backstage; especially if you are a heel (looking at you Charlotte in the past)... Bliss totally trolled that and in the process got heat with the audience and made her my own personal treasure troll sized hero.
They were cheering her and chanting "You deserve it" How is that trolling?

janerd75 - 2-26-2018 at 02:34 AM

quote:

Gonna hafta be more pacific Chief, 'cause there's millions of those gotdayum things.

Y'ALLS LEAVE BERTO ALONE!!! He good boy! Did not do anythings!!!

#royopinionsmatter

Count Zero - 2-26-2018 at 02:35 AM

quote:
Also, welcome back, berto! You've been failing to make me shake my head in bemusement for far too long!

#It'sStillRealToHim

Count Zero - 2-26-2018 at 02:38 AM

quote:
Originally posted by janerd75
quote:

Gonna hafta be more pacific Chief, 'cause there's millions of those gotdayum things.
I, too, might have a commission for Leonerdo da Goatsi. I've got something in mind, but have yet to assemble the necessary minutiae. I'll DM you up at some point in the future, if this is a thing you're willing to entertain.

TownOfDalem - 2-26-2018 at 02:38 AM

Wow. Now I know what I've been missing by not commenting much on show threads. Y'all have someone who is so powerful at self delusion that they can create an entirely different reality. That's awesome.

Flash - 2-26-2018 at 02:41 AM

Move along 'Berto; I do not value your judgement.

In other news:

Going into the Asuka and Jax match I really didn't care for the stip as I thought it devalued/undersold Asuka rumble win a bit (and potentially her undefeated streak) , and with Jax I thought it kind of undercut her whole indestructible vibe; but in the end I actually wish that this is how they would book their "monsters"... that yeah they can have a bad 3 seconds and lose (as opposed to dominating for months and months then jobbing out to lesser and lesser meaning matches) but they are going to be the first back up, and are still going to kick your ass... like you can pin me, but you can't beat me.

While I'm not that keen on the whole battle of jibberish promos between Hardy and Wyatt, I do like that entrance for Matt... catchy, but also quick enough that it doesn't become tiresome too quickly.

royberto - 2-26-2018 at 02:45 AM

Well, someone got ejected for bringing in a beach ball.

royberto - 2-26-2018 at 02:51 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Count Zero
quote:

#It'sStillRealToHim

janerd75 - 2-26-2018 at 02:51 AM

Send it Count-y! No requests will be denied! So long as the participants are of age!

Also, is there such a thing as a "This is AW-ful!" chant? #deletebray

If I've said it once, I've said it eleventy billion times: Y'all. Muhfuggers. Leave. Roy. ALONE!

bigfatgoalie - 2-26-2018 at 02:51 AM

So ummm...can we be done with Wyatt/Hardy. Much like fetch, it’s not going to happen.

royberto - 2-26-2018 at 02:52 AM

Seems like the live crowd enjoyed that last match far more than those at home.

Paddlefoot - 2-26-2018 at 03:01 AM

Boo the hell out of this two assholes - Weirdo Legs & Boss's Crappy Daughter. Don't boo Big Wolf Dick though. We're cool with him.

[Edited on 2/26/2018 by Paddlefoot]

DKBroiler - 2-26-2018 at 03:05 AM

- Ronda Rousey

CM Crunk - 2-26-2018 at 03:09 AM

Jesus, did they get Tommy Wiseau to guest book this contract signing?

Count Zero - 2-26-2018 at 03:11 AM

quote:

I think your sensors are miscalibrated on this, as they are on many, many other things.

You =do= take this shit pretty goddamn seriously, son. Don't be upset when one of us points it out.

Seriously though, can we have an ignore button yet?

DKBroiler - 2-26-2018 at 03:13 AM

Get her Paul Heyman ASAP.

She just yoked the fuck out of Hunter.

janerd75 - 2-26-2018 at 03:13 AM

This segment is great. Also, Patented Janerd Misogyny™ inbound....

ETA: CRUNKERZ!!!

[Edited on 2-26-2018 by janerd75]

Count Zero - 2-26-2018 at 03:14 AM

So Ronda's lack of charisma is going to hurt her in a charisma-based enterprise? SHOCKULAR!!!!!!!!!

etmojiproperly

[Edited on 2-26-2018 by Count Zero]

royberto - 2-26-2018 at 03:15 AM

quote:
quote:

I think your sensors are miscalibrated on this, as they are on many, many other things.

You =do= take this shit pretty goddamn seriously, son. Don't be upset when one of us points it out.

Nope. It's accurate because it is all you are. I also want an ignore button.

Back to the show, that segment, awkward prmo aside, shows what I have been saying. When she kicks the crap out of Stephanie at Mania, Rhonda will be a huge face.

bigfatgoalie - 2-26-2018 at 03:15 AM

The crowd went from shitting over that segment in to playing in to StepHHH’s plan fairly quick. Although again...the crowd was more than willing to cheer Triple H. Why they have to keep doing the evil promoter gimmick is beyond me.

Count Zero - 2-26-2018 at 03:15 AM

quote:
I also want an ignore button.
You're so cute, sometimes. Especially when you're denying reality.

Keep on keepin, Bertso.

royberto - 2-26-2018 at 03:20 AM

quote:
quote:

Keep on keepin, Bertso.
I love how he claims I was wrong calling him a troll and then proves me right with his very next post.

Thanks. You aren't very bright.

Count Zero - 2-26-2018 at 03:22 AM

quote:
quote:
quote:

Keep on keepin, Bertso.
I love how he claims I was wrong calling him a troll and then proves me right with his very next post.

Thanks. You aren't very bright.

Is it trolling when you're acting like an idiot and we're having fun watching it?

You need perspective, Sunny Bubbles. Learn to take a joke, and you might fit in around here instead of fitting out so horribly.

~end communication~

Paddlefoot - 2-26-2018 at 03:25 AM

Take that, Vegas, you fuckin' milkylickers!

Flash - 2-26-2018 at 03:25 AM

quote:
The crowd went from shitting over that segment in to playing in to StepHHH’s plan fairly quick. Although again...the crowd was more than willing to cheer Triple H. Why they have to keep doing the evil promoter gimmick is beyond me.

What's worse is that it's so at odds with every other scrap of info we have about him; be it rumours of him being good backstage, running NXT, the various "real news" PR statements... The whole evil authority thing is
pretty played out.

I didn't mind Rousey's talking... here's hoping if she does any house shows they give her plenty of mic time to get better... the rest of the segment checked the boxes we figured it probably would.

The real downer was watching Kurt out there... he just seems so punch drunk and stilted... less like he was sabotaging his evil bosses and more like a drunk uncle at Thanksgiving blabbing family secrets out loud.

janerd75 - 2-26-2018 at 03:29 AM

I am in love with a man named Elias.

Paddlefoot - 2-26-2018 at 03:31 AM

This is where not doing certain little things hurts their overall production. Braun should have grabbed the guitar and smashed it against Elias' pod, just to scare the shit out of him even more.

OORick - 2-26-2018 at 03:32 AM

I quite like Rousey's chances of being a success in wrestling. If you gave me an Over/Under of "Shamrock," I would take the over.

There's a certain intertia to overcome with smark fans who don't like outsiders getting special treatment, and unlike Brock, she didn't already "complete the level" and isn't coming back to reclaim something already earned.

But at the same time, she's an elite athlete and blue chip marketing opportunity. They just need to promote her right. Tonight was the microcosm: some push back fromt he live crowd at first, full-throated enthusiasm by the end ("You Fucked Up" being chanted at Steph). Ronda needs to DO, not SAY, and all will be well.

And yes, Heyman could be a big help on this front. Nobody in wrestling history has been a bigger champion of "Showcasing the strengths, hiding the weaknesses" than Paul. He's not necessary, but he's the most obvious first option.

Then again, I'm always going to have a strong fondness for a bad-ass chick using Joan Jett as her entrance music, so maybe I'm being overly charitable. But I don't think so.

quote:
quote:

I think your sensors are miscalibrated on this, as they are on many, many other things. :)

I just had the realization that it's probably something else: berto just doesn't know what words mean.

By definition, a troll is the outsider who walks into a room where he knows everybody more or less has a shared set of beliefs, and then says something that he knows that group will be-offeneded-by/disagree-with (despite knowing it to be false, or not actually believing it himself), simply to get a reaction out of that group. A/k/a "triggering" the "snowflakes."

Somebody in that room cannot, by definition, be a troll.

But it appears that berty, here, is insisting that he's allowed to walk into this room, hold a rare (if not singularly unique) point of view, and then claim to be the victim when the room keeps doing the same thing it always has. That is fairly ass-hatted.

By definition.

derfsucks - 2-26-2018 at 03:32 AM

I am impressed as hell at the two joining Miz to start this match. This could be fantastic.

royberto - 2-26-2018 at 03:33 AM

quote:
The real downer was watching Kurt out there... he just seems so punch drunk and stilted... less like he was sabotaging his evil bosses and more like a drunk uncle at Thanksgiving blabbing family secrets out loud.
Well, he did the job he set out to do and they got the desired reactions out of it. In the grand scheme, it served the mission.

royberto - 2-26-2018 at 03:39 AM

quote:
I just had the realization that it's probably something else: berto just doesn't know what words mean.

By definition, a troll is the outsider who walks into a room where he knows everybody more or less has a shared set of beliefs, and then says something that he knows that group will be-offeneded-by/disagree-with (despite knowing it to be false, or not actually believing it himself), simply to get a reaction out of that group. A/k/a "triggering" the "snowflakes."

Somebody in that room cannot, by definition, be a troll.

But it appears that berty, here, is insisting that he's allowed to walk into this room, hold a rare (if not singularly unique) point of view, and then claim to be the victim when the room keeps doing the same thing it always has. That is fairly ass-hatted.

By definition.
And that is exactly what he did. He went after me in a manner simply to get a reaction out of me. I am not claming I am a victim. I gave my opinion. He responded with disrespect in a manner specifically to get a rise out of me. That is trolling and I called it such. But that is OK by you because you like him.

janerd75 - 2-26-2018 at 03:45 AM

Lol, they "blue" Finn Balor. I get it, winkwink say no more.

Come with me Roy. I have such sights to show you...

williamssl - 2-26-2018 at 03:46 AM

quote:

CamstunPWG187 - 2-26-2018 at 03:48 AM

And once again, my sensible advice from months and months back is not realized by the other users here.

SHAME!!

royberto - 2-26-2018 at 03:48 AM

quote:
Is it trolling when you're acting like an idiot and we're having fun watching it?

You need perspective, Sunny Bubbles. Learn to take a joke, and you might fit in around here instead of fitting out so horribly.

~end communication~
It's trolling when I give an opinion and yuou disrespect it in a manner that is purposely trying to get a rise out of me. My opinion is not "acting like an idiot". If you aren't going to respect it, then there is no reason for me to respect you in any way. If you are going to be a jerk to me, I will be that to you.

williamssl - 2-26-2018 at 04:00 AM

quote:

royberto - 2-26-2018 at 04:10 AM

Cena gets pinned after a power slam. My how the mighty have fallen.

This would be logical booking if Reigns was a face and actually got cheered. Well, Roman ain't one so it's ridiculous looking.

Paddlefoot - 2-26-2018 at 04:14 AM

How fucking strong is Crossfit Jesus anyway to be able pick up a hoss like Reigns as if he weighed less than a cruiserweight?

williamssl - 2-26-2018 at 04:20 AM

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOO

DKBroiler - 2-26-2018 at 04:21 AM

the goon - 2-26-2018 at 04:21 AM

quote:

Hey, go look at last week's RAW thread where people were telling me I was crazy for saying that pinning Cena clean isn't that big of an accomplishment anymore.

royberto - 2-26-2018 at 04:25 AM

quote:
Originally posted by the goon
quote:

Hey, go look at last week's RAW thread where people were telling me I was crazy for saying that pinning Cena clean isn't that big of an accomplishment anymore.
I agreed with what you wrote. It isn't an accomplishment when he has been been defeated almost every time now.

bigfatgoalie - 2-26-2018 at 04:26 AM

That was terrible booking. Braun eliminates everyone, looks like the bigger star, Roman wins...and then Braun kicks Roman’s ass?

Why?

If it is to set up a triple threat...fuck no, pick Braun or pick Roman.

Paddlefoot - 2-26-2018 at 04:29 AM

quote:
That was terrible booking. Braun eliminates everyone, looks like the bigger star, Roman wins...and then Braun kicks Roman’s ass?

Why?

Word on the dual-brand PPV's was that they'd be putting on more multi-person matches in order to get as much of the roster on the shows. It might not be a surprise to see them do the same thing with Mania too.

Ortonmustdie - 2-26-2018 at 04:30 AM

New conspiracy theory time!!

Royberto is actually Janard trolling the fuck outta everyone.

Wickedfrost - 2-26-2018 at 04:30 AM

A couple of interesting moments but for the most part it was shit. The ending was especially stupid.

Braun has been tipping trucks and pulling down giant structures for months and the only damage he does to the chamber is going through fake Plexiglas. Brutal.

janerd75 - 2-26-2018 at 04:33 AM

Lol, damn you! You blue it all to hell something something...

WWE is so . How hard is it to get this right? Do Roman vs. Braun at SS fer feck's sake.

quote:
Originally posted by Ortonmustdie
New conspiracy theory time!!

Royberto is actually Janard trolling the fuck outta everyone.

[Edited on 2-26-2018 by janerd75]

royberto - 2-26-2018 at 04:38 AM

quote:

Why?

The booking is logical...if the guy winning is treated by the fans as a face. Monster heel kills everyone else, monster face overcomes that and eventually beats monster heel. Simple. The problem is that Roman isn't a face in any way shape or form. So, concept is wrestling 101. But even they knew it was flawed due to Reigns not getting cheered, so they booked the after match to get the crowd cheering to end the show. It's like they want to get the match done and move quickly past it.

Flash - 2-26-2018 at 04:41 AM

Bitching about Reigns going to face Brock aside (although mayhaps we'll be getting a triple threat?); that was a damn good EC match where just about everyone got a nice spot to shine.....

*Miz is just awesome... and given what a WM payday can mean (I've heard cases where both Flair and Orton pulled in about $800k for a nights work, so I would imagine a Miz match is still worth quite a nice chunk of change) so kudos to him if he's wiling to step away for the birth of his child. Loved the opening stuff, the yes kicks... the guy is a heat magnet.

*Balor actually made me believe he could be the one to take down Strowman.

*Seth isn't HBK, but he's up there IMO as one of those guys you can put into just about any match and he'll steal the show.

*Reigns; one thing that Reigns doesn't get enough credit for is that he sells really well; and has some good facial expressions to react to his opponents.

*Elias has a bright future... I'd like to see an IC run in his near future. Love that he kind of screwed himself trying to lift Strowman.

*Strowman.... Strowman smash... love that the charisma is in full gear now too.

*Cena... oddly enough he was probably the one guy who maybe didn't get the really big moment in the EC match; but if I was going to talk about tonight it would be Cena's post-match comments... The guy just sold something really real; that you're looking at the one time king of the mountain no longer sure about where he's at...that age catches up to us all. I think there's a really great story that can be told about Cena chasing a 17th title reign.

To Goon's comment: I agree that beating Cena isn't the big deal that it once was; but I think it is probably still special enough... The funny thing is that I think Cena's whole sitting up after a loss and looking dejected, or still able to fight but knows he lost is a really nice realistic touch... guys can lose and don't have to be carted off or slink out the back door... at the same time; and maybe because he's largely the only one who does it I think it kind of undersells beating him.

Overall tonight was a good to great show that delivered pretty much exactly what we all expected... So great in ring action, but maybe not great BIG picture storytelling.

Flash - 2-26-2018 at 04:45 AM

In watching the post-show I would mark out like crazy if Strowman came out and beat the shit out of Reigns again.

If they wanted to get really out there have Reigns go home and Strowman there to beat the shit out of him again (you could claim Reigns was being filmed for a 24 special or something).

Paddlefoot - 2-26-2018 at 04:49 AM

Odd that Roy turned out to be one of the most entertaining parts of the entire event.

royberto - 2-26-2018 at 04:50 AM

quote:
*Cena... oddly enough he was probably the one guy who maybe didn't get the really big moment in the EC match; but if I was going to talk about tonight it would be Cena's post-match comments... The guy just sold something really real; that you're looking at the one time king of the mountain no longer sure about where he's at...that age catches up to us all. I think there's a really great story that can be told about Cena chasing a 17th title reign.

To Goon's comment: I agree that beating Cena isn't the big deal that it once was; but I think it is probably still special enough... The funny thing is that I think Cena's whole sitting up after a loss and looking dejected, or still able to fight but knows he lost is a really nice realistic touch... guys can lose and don't have to be carted off or slink out the back door... at the same time; and maybe because he's largely the only one who does it I think it kind of undersells beating him.
I can agree with this. But he certainly looked old during his post show interview.

bigfatgoalie - 2-26-2018 at 04:50 AM

quote:
quote:

Why?

The booking is logical...if the guy winning is treated by the fans as a face. Monster heel kills everyone else, monster face overcomes that and eventually beats monster heel. Simple. The problem is that Roman isn't a face in any way shape or form. So, concept is wrestling 101. But even they knew it was flawed due to Reigns not getting cheered, so they booked the after match to get the crowd cheering to end the show. It's like they want to get the match done and move quickly past it.

Hogan booking 101 is monster heel squashes everyone, attacks Hogan, and Hogan wins. But they didn't have the bad guy bounce up and beat the snot out of Hogan. If you want to send the crowd home happy, change your plans. If you want Roman to get a win and momentum going in to Mania, Braun can survive taking an L.

Again...it's the entire shitshow. If Roman is your guy...he has to be your guy. 50/50 booking Roman and Braun is stupid. Pick a guy. Push him. And if you are too worried about your guy getting his ass booed out of town...maybe he shouldn't be your guy.

Making Braun look like a million bucks is great...but not if he's not the guy. All he is going to do is make people lukewarm on Roman go "push Braun instead". And nobody wins there.

royberto - 2-26-2018 at 04:56 AM

quote:
Hogan booking 101 is monster heel squashes everyone, attacks Hogan, and Hogan wins. But they didn't have the bad guy bounce up and beat the snot out of Hogan. If you want to send the crowd home happy, change your plans. If you want Roman to get a win and momentum going in to Mania, Braun can survive taking an L.

Again...it's the entire shitshow. If Roman is your guy...he has to be your guy. 50/50 booking Roman and Braun is stupid. Pick a guy. Push him. And if you are too worried about your guy getting his ass booed out of town...maybe he shouldn't be your guy.

Making Braun look like a million bucks is great...but not if he's not the guy. All he is going to do is make people lukewarm on Roman go "push Braun instead". And nobody wins there.
Which is why I would have had Braun take the pin when all 5 guys were covering him at once. That way you can come up with abetter finish for Roman instead of one where even 4 superman punches and 2 spears isn't enough to make it believable.

CamstunPWG187 - 2-26-2018 at 04:58 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Paddlefoot
How fucking strong is Crossfit Jesus anyway to be able pick up a hoss like Reigns as if he weighed less than a cruiserweight?

Bro, I saw this kid coming back in 2007.

You are now a believer.

[Edited on 2-26-2018 by CamstunPWG187]

Paddlefoot - 2-26-2018 at 05:47 AM

That performance last Monday alone was the reason I picked Rollins to win tonight. He didn't but he's still one in a million. If he ends up on SD he could revitalize that entire show in one night.

punkerhardcore - 2-26-2018 at 07:23 AM

Both Elimination Chamber matches were booked horribly.

Make fun of Roy all you guys want-- but I do agree with him, in a sense. Alexa should be booked as a chickenshit who only wins by the skin of her teeth. Watching her dominate Sasha at the end there was somewhat ridiculous. The Sasha heel turn could have been accomplished SO much more logically and easily. It's pretty mind boggling how this company can fuck up even the most paint-by-numbers booking.

The final three were Sasha, Bayley and Bliss. Bayley eliminates Sasha. Sasha is pissed off and crushes Bayley before leaving, Alexa takes advantage and gets a cheap pin. Fin. How hard would that have been?

And the main event. Hahahaha, Jesus Christ. Yeah, let's take the guy who everyone is getting behind, who is OVER AS FUCK... and instead of just calling an audible and having him, oh, I don't know, WIN THE FUCKING MATCH, you job him out to some wet haired dickbag everybody hates.

Look, everyone knew (despite what DK kept arguing about in the Raw thread) that Roman The Push: Year Four was going to happen. But why do it the way in which they did? As was already said, they should've just had Braun get eliminated when he had four guys pinning him at once. Instead, they have that dude do all the work and look like a zillion bucks, and then of course Roman comes in and gets some weiner ass pin at the very end. What a sack of shit. And that's how they book a guy who already gets the hell booed out of him all the time? How could anyone in the back possibly think that is supposed to endear him to anybody, anywhere?

Paddlefoot - 2-26-2018 at 07:55 AM

Mild disagreements on the Women's EC:

- they've been teasing the tension between Sasha and Bayley for quite a while so Sasha attacking her makes sense; and it's not a full heel turn either because it wasn't anything DQ-able or genuinely backstabby either (like if she joined up with Absolution or Nia or Alexa in giving Bayley a post-match beat-down/group booting)
- Alexa's post-win promo was perfect; tricked the audience with some surprisingly sincere thanks and such and then did the now-classic Alexa fake-out by basically calling all the fans a bunch of wads; I have no idea how this can be regarded as a booking failure because these types of duplicitous turn-on-a-dime promos are a staple of the business; people cheer Heel Alexa because they like her, just like they cheered for Heel Rock or Heel SCSA; if anything this is a compliment to how genuinely great Alexa is at her role of arrogant dismissive heel and nowhere near the massive booking disaster it's being described as here on OO

Men's EC match? Meh with a side-order of whatever. It looks like it leads to a triple-threat match at WM when Braun somehow gets figured into the mix if for no other reason than they're not going to waste his momentum by putting him in something as throwaway as the Andre battle royale. It's conceivable that Rollins ends up in that championship match too for the same reason, unless they have him take the IC title off of Miz so he can be with Maryse during the expected birth period.

punkerhardcore - 2-26-2018 at 08:26 AM

That's my point with Banks/Bayley. Enough pussyfooting around. That was the perfect spot to pull off the full on turn, while also giving Bliss that extra chickenshitty push. Plus, she still could have pulled off the same post match promo-- which for the record, I enjoyed. Not to mention her weeping during the first part of the promo would have given it that extra stink of insincerity.

And I still can't believe anyone (DK) thought anybody but Reigns winning wasn't a total and complete lock. Here's a video of Vince talking about the Reigns push when someone in the back suggested to maybe go with a Plan B:

CVD39 - 2-26-2018 at 09:08 AM

Totally agree with you guys on why was Brawn booked to look like a million bucks but Dopey Dawg gets the win. Was dumb.

During the Women's one, I was hoping Deville and Rose would've ended up backing up Bliss. With Paige not being able to rassle anymore, they could've been Bliss's new goons.

And I was hoping to see Balor do his stompy thing from the hole in the top of the chamber. Then I realized that that move could've killed both Balor and the guy taking it.

royberto - 2-26-2018 at 11:29 AM

quote:
Mild disagreements on the Women's EC:

- they've been teasing the tension between Sasha and Bayley for quite a while so Sasha attacking her makes sense; and it's not a full heel turn either because it wasn't anything DQ-able or genuinely backstabby either (like if she joined up with Absolution or Nia or Alexa in giving Bayley a post-match beat-down/group booting)
- Alexa's post-win promo was perfect; tricked the audience with some surprisingly sincere thanks and such and then did the now-classic Alexa fake-out by basically calling all the fans a bunch of wads; I have no idea how this can be regarded as a booking failure because these types of duplicitous turn-on-a-dime promos are a staple of the business; people cheer Heel Alexa because they like her, just like they cheered for Heel Rock or Heel SCSA; if anything this is a compliment to how genuinely great Alexa is at her role of arrogant dismissive heel and nowhere near the massive booking disaster it's being described as here on OO
It failed for the same reason Roman's finish failed. The fans cheered her regardless, just as they booed Roman regardless. The promo looks like shit when you aren't gettig the desired reaction.

As it is, Alexa is a chickenshit heel. BOOK HER LIKE ONE. She should't be dominating anyone. She needs to getr take sever beatings and win by the skin of her teeth. Watch some goddamn Miz matches and learn.

GodEatGod - 2-26-2018 at 01:46 PM

Perfectly fine, if predictable, show. I'm fine with Roman winning and don't have the interest to argue about it with people anymore. Braun looked great and I love Seth Rollins pretty much always.

I thought the Ronda segment was surprisingly good and she was over in the right way.

I want to care about Matt and Bray, but I don't.

Not sure who can face The Bar at Mania at this point. Another multi-man? Bring up the Authors of Pain? I dunno.

I liked the Women's Chamber, but kind of wish Sasha had won. She and Bayley seem like they're going to go at it at WM anyway and anything they do will overshadow whatever match Alexa ends up having (Nia, I'm guessing, with Asuka going to face Charlotte).

CCharger - 2-26-2018 at 02:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by GodEatGod
Perfectly fine, if predictable, show. I'm fine with Roman winning and don't have the interest to argue about it with people anymore.

Yup, this is me at this point. It's clear that the WWE is charging ahead with Reigns as raising the belt at the end of Mania. No amount of bitching and complaining is going to stop it. Have at it, Vince.

You win.

Cherokee Jack - 2-26-2018 at 03:06 PM

Remember how ridiculous we were all being week ago for buying into bullshit “rumors” and taking it as a given that Roman was winning?

Punk Munkee - 2-26-2018 at 04:00 PM

Why does Alexa HAVE to be a chickenshit heel? Why do people hate the Yankees? Tom Brady? Steph/LeBron? Because they WIN in your face. I think of Alexa as the same way. Brady's not winning any 100 yard dashes, but he can throw. She's not the best technical wrestler, but she has big time moves and convincingly wins, then trolls the whole crowd perfectly. Just incredible. And she's smokin'. No complaints here. Also, if she's really going to face Asuka, I like her looking like she can beat anyone else on any night, even when the odds are not in her favor or she doesn't like the circumstances.

I can barely remember the tag match, but Apollo has taken way too many of the wrong "Choose Your Own Adventure" choices. He needs to go back to the first one and try again. Titus Worldwide makes so much more sense as a heel faction.

Asuka looking like she barely survived Nia made sense, too. Not all of her NXT run was a steamroller. She snuck out with a few close ones there, and probably should on the big stage, too. Nia needs more experience, but she's in a good spot.

Hardy won. Woohoo. Only thing I find remarkable anymore is how his theme music opening almost sounds like Broken Road Warrior Hawk. They need to spend more time explaining this "Woken" thing minus Bray.

I though Kurt was hilarious in that segment. Like, "I'm tired of this sh*t so bring it on!" Rousey looked bad at first, but didn't Kurt's very first segment ever go kinda poorly? Then they brought him back in all badass and the rest is history. Plus she recovered and rocked it.

The men's chamber seemed about par for the course as they go, but there's not much more to say about Reigns winning. I guess my thought was that last spear didn't seem too convincing, and I kinda ed at that. Braun vs. Brock is money and I loved Braun's promos last week on RAW and this week before EC. "BEASTIE BOY!!!" Reigns of course, just plainly stated the obvious booking plans, and didn't even say "Believe that" or anything remotely threatening. He puts me to sleep.

All in all, Wrestlemania should give the EC PPV some context, I believe. Some of the things that don't make sense now might in about six weeks or so.

DKBroiler - 2-26-2018 at 04:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Cherokee Jack
Remember how ridiculous we were all being week ago for buying into bullshit “rumors” and taking it as a given that Roman was winning?

You weren’t being ridiculous at all. If anything I’m the idiot for thinking that the WWE would listen to their audience since Roman isn’t going to get any more over and likely will be damaged right back into ReBOOOOOOOOOOO territory again after somewhat escaping it recently.

But regardless, even if the rumor was right this time, I still don’t believe essentially anything out of Meltzer’s mouth or think that most Wrestlemania plans (aside from Rock v Cena a few years ago) are written in stone for a full calendar year.

DKBroiler - 2-26-2018 at 04:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CCharger
quote:
Perfectly fine, if predictable, show. I'm fine with Roman winning and don't have the interest to argue about it with people anymore.

Yup, this is me at this point. It's clear that the WWE is charging ahead with Reigns as raising the belt at the end of Mania. No amount of bitching and complaining is going to stop it. Have at it, Vince.

You win.

It really does feel like we’ve reached full on Stockholm Syndrome at this point.

Flash - 2-26-2018 at 06:09 PM

The shame of it is that Reigns really is one of the WWE's better performers; but he's so much better when he's elevating people (and that doesn't have to mean jobbing) or put into more natural feuds than these manufactured "moments" that Vince likes to create.

Reigns and Lesnar will more than likely bust their ass and deliver a hard hitting match at WM, but barring one of them shooting fireworks out of their ass mid-match all anyone will remember is more Reigns resentment.

salmonjunkie - 2-26-2018 at 06:21 PM

I'm just sad that I don't get a video of Punker eating a hat.

You know what would be awesome? If there was a swerve ending the last time we had Reigns vs Lesnar. I remember last time we had Reigns vs Lesnar at WM and how much bitching and moaning that was, only to have Seth Rollins cash in and end the night as the WWE Champion.

I know there's no current MITB holder, so that's out the window, but who knows?

(yes, I'm trying to be optimistic)

nOOb - 2-26-2018 at 07:08 PM

It’s really easy to fix Reigns, especially since were at that time of the year where Dana White and Brock are teasing a UFC return: have Heyman turn on Brock and become Reigns’ new advocate. Yes, heel turns don’t fix everyone. But one would fix Roman, because nothing major needs fixing. He just needs a reason to make people interested in him and Paul Heyman can do that. And in a year or so, when he’s getting cheers, which he will because he’s actually talented, you turn him face and the people won’t fight it (much).

Or they can make him “controversial” like John Cena and keep him uninterested. Either of those works for WWE because most people won’t stop watching and I’ll still only get the Rumble every year.

DKBroiler - 2-26-2018 at 07:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by nOOb
It’s really easy to fix Reigns, especially since were at that time of the year where Dana White and Brock are teasing a UFC return: have Heyman turn on Brock and become Reigns’ new advocate. Yes, heel turns don’t fix everyone. But one would fix Roman, because nothing major needs fixing. He just needs a reason to make people interested in him and Paul Heyman can do that. And in a year or so, when he’s getting cheers, which he will because he’s actually talented, you turn him face and the people won’t fight it (much).

Or they can make him “controversial” like John Cena and keep him uninterested. Either of those works for WWE because most people won’t stop watching and I’ll still only get the Rumble every year.

Here’s the problem with Roman ... there is no problem with Roman. THAT is what pisses everyone off. Anyone with two eyes and a reasonably open mind can see that in 2018 he’s one of the best performers in the world. The guy is VERY good at his job.

The problem is that he’s a walking, talking professional version of the jock who gets all the hot chicks in high school while also having a 4.0 GPA and rich parents. I don’t know if you know this or not but there are a lot of fans out there who can’t identify with someone like this.

Roman doesn’t need a mouth piece. He needs ADVERSITY. And not manufactured adversity. More like “oh shit, I hope Roman survived (fill in the blank awful situation)”. Until then his stupid man pretty perfect jawline will be the subject of our collective scorn.

It’s all pure jealousy but until something massively changes for Joe Anoai, Roman Reigns will continue to be boo’d by us 18 to 45 year old fat guys who may or may not be virgins.

First 9 - 2-26-2018 at 08:41 PM

Not really sure how Braun is any more relatable than Roman if the logic is that fans won't get behind somebody that's not like them.

It's like people forget about Nash, Orton or the other rejected super faces of year's past. They don't have to outrightly suck to be boring and uninteresting. Hell, I don't think there's a Roman match that's as good as the masterpiece that Diesel vs Bret was at Survivor Series and that did shit for turning the tide on the 90s version of Roman.

I don't hate Roman, hell I think he's a lot better than Super Cena 08, but he's just kind of dull and blaming the audience for his lukewarm reactions is asinine.

GodEatGod - 2-26-2018 at 08:51 PM

All I care about is that they get the damn belt off Lesnar's huffing, puffing red lobster part-time ass. They could put it on Dana Brooke for all I care, I'm just sick of him. Go, Team Roman, as far as I'm concerned.

DKBroiler - 2-26-2018 at 09:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by First 9
Not really sure how Braun is any more relatable than Roman if the logic is that fans won't get behind somebody that's not like them.

It's like people forget about Nash, Orton or the other rejected super faces of year's past. They don't have to outrightly suck to be boring and uninteresting. Hell, I don't think there's a Roman match that's as good as the masterpiece that Diesel vs Bret was at Survivor Series and that did shit for turning the tide on the 90s version of Roman.

I don't hate Roman, hell I think he's a lot better than Super Cena 08, but he's just kind of dull and blaming the audience for his lukewarm reactions is asinine.

Fair point. The only real difference - and I say this as a guy who instantly latched onto Braun - is that Braun isn’t Roman. Anyone who was gonna come along and make a career out of mangling Roman’s face was gonna be cheered. The fact that he is awesome only helps that.

Weird side note: don’t forget about Jason Jordan’s roll in all of this. He only became a heel by default. That shit was obviously not the plan at first. Jordan was sooooooo close to being the next non-face face to get booed for being too perfect, but unlike Cena and Reigns they called an audible. Jordan absorbing the “I hate your face” jeers was helping Roman a lot. Now he’s out and we’re back into RoBOOOO ReBOOOOOO mode.

DKBroiler - 2-26-2018 at 09:22 PM

quote:
All I care about is that they get the damn belt off Lesnar's huffing, puffing red lobster part-time ass. They could put it on Dana Brooke for all I care, I'm just sick of him. Go, Team Roman, as far as I'm concerned.

I love Brock Smash matches but even I agree at this point. The Title needs to be back on TV.

royberto - 2-26-2018 at 09:46 PM

quote:
quote:

You win.
Unless Cena-Taker closes mania with a Taker victory.

royberto - 2-26-2018 at 09:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Punk Munkee
Why does Alexa HAVE to be a chickenshit heel? Why do people hate the Yankees? Tom Brady? Steph/LeBron? Because they WIN in your face. I think of Alexa as the same way. Brady's not winning any 100 yard dashes, but he can throw. She's not the best technical wrestler, but she has big time moves and convincingly wins, then trolls the whole crowd perfectly. Just incredible. And she's smokin'. No complaints here. Also, if she's really going to face Asuka, I like her looking like she can beat anyone else on any night, even when the odds are not in her favor or she doesn't like the circumstances.
Because being a chickenshit is how she got over in the first place. That is what got her over in the feud with Becky.

It's also because of her size. She shouldn't be dominiating people much larger than her. That is why the booking of her match with Charlotte was complete shit. You would never book Rey Mysterio to dominate Big Show, so you should never book Bliss to dominate a woman in Charlotte who is twice her size.

And finally she is now hitting Stephanie McMahon loves of not getting comeuppance. Every single person she goes up against ends up either looking like a chump or completely buried because Bliss tells them they are losers and then proves it while her opponent looks like an idiot in the process. Proper booking would be that Bliss talks a big game, but has to cheat and take every way out because we would absolutely get destroyed by those that are much bigger than her.

There is absolutely no reason to invest in any feud Bliss has because she never loses and her opponents are never allowed to get the best of her. She has now beaten every single member of the Raw womens division decisively save Nia and Auska and that is because they are saving that for later.

Alexa Reigns is the worst of Roman Reigns, John Cena, and Stephanie all rolled into one Yet people defend her booking like sheep while bitching about the same booking of the other 3. The hypocrisy is deafening.

Paddlefoot - 2-26-2018 at 10:11 PM

quote:

Agree 100%. You complete me. Plus Roman had one of the best years over the last twelve odd months of any performer in a long time. This shitty hate for him is long since past being tedious.

Count Zero - 2-26-2018 at 10:20 PM

quote:
quote:
quote:

You win.

It really does feel like we’ve reached full on Stockholm Syndrome at this point.
Bro(-iler), it's called the "John Cena Plan", and we've been on it for awhile now. Cena was edgy and popular, so they overpushed him. That backfired, and "we" hated Cena until we finally gave up hating him. Then he started trying harder and somehow won the respect of "most of the WWEUniverse" (if not most of the so-called IWC). In a year or two, Roman is going to bust out hurricanranas and tope con hilos and 450 splashes, and "we" are going to begrudgingly credit him for expanding his moveset.

[Edited on 2-26-2018 by Count Zero]

williamssl - 2-26-2018 at 10:28 PM

quote:
Because being a chickenshit is how she got over in the first place. That is what got her over in the feud with Becky.

Nah - her feud with Becky convinced her that she didn't really need to be a chickenshit since Becky was so easily beatable.

If anything, Becky is to blame for what you're seeing that you don't like in Alexa.

[Edited on 2-26-2018 by williamssl]

Paddlefoot - 2-26-2018 at 10:40 PM

I'd like to know how Alexa "dominated" anyone, considering she pinned a Bayley that had already been softened up by Sasha, and then pinned Sasha after kicking her legs out from under her, causing her to hit her face on the chamber glass, and then doing some kind of DDT off the top-rope. There were skills there on display, mostly dirty chickenshitty ones, but it wasn't a domination on the level of what Braun did to four or five guys in a row in the Men's EC.

Some people are simply letting their emotions get the better of them. Not a lot of this criticism is making much, if any, sense at all anymore.

Frank Lloyd Wright - 2-26-2018 at 10:58 PM

quote:
I'd like to know how Alexa "dominated" anyone, considering she pinned a Bayley that had already been softened up by Sasha, and then pinned Sasha after kicking her legs out from under her, causing her to hit her face on the chamber glass, and then doing some kind of DDT off the top-rope. There were skills there on display, mostly dirty chickenshitty ones, but it wasn't a domination on the level of what Braun did to four or five guys in a row in the Men's EC.

Some people are simply letting their emotions get the better of them. Not a lot of this criticism is making much, if any, sense at all anymore.

You took the words right out of my mouth. People are making it sound like Alexa took out a bazooka and blasted her competition away. Personally, I think Alexa has improved quite a bit in the ring and she can talk circles around most women on the roster. Also, you can't argue that she is way over with the live audience. That's something hard for a heel to achieve.

In regards to Roman, I don't hate the guy. Just don't think he's good enough to be the new face of the company and constantly receive the Superman push. I've come to grips that he will win the championship at Mania. Where they go from there should be interesting, because there are guys on that roster that can run circles around him, both in the ring and on the mic.

Paddlefoot - 2-26-2018 at 11:10 PM

I'd also like to know exactly why I'm supposed to boo someone like Alexa like I'm some kind of Pavlov's dog just because she's a heel. When Austin was a heel half the crowd was still cheering for him. Same with The Rock. I absolutely loved Heel Angle over Face Angle. Same with guys and gals ranging from Batista, Flair, Christian, Jericho, and Trish Stratus. Anyone miss the quite part for four years in WCW where more than half the audience was cheering for the NWO as they lay waste to the nerd faces? Fuck, you can go back to Savage vs. Hogan and hear a large part of the crowd cheering for Macho. Watch WM3 again and you can see people openly cheering for Andre over Hogan. Saying that one must absolutely cheer faces only and boo heels only is creating a bogus dividing line that hasn't existed in this business since the days of old hairy fat guy matches broadcast in black-and-white on weekend TV from the early 1970's.

This isn't about WWE booking wrong or the performers fucking things up. This is now entirely about certain fans constantly moving the goalposts of what's good or acceptable for specious reasons of their own, based on little more than who they hate or don't hate at the moment. I'll cheer for who I want if I'm having fun doing so. I'm under no obligation to follow some other fucking guy's interpretation of how to be a proper fan of this silly spectacle.

[Edited on 2/26/2018 by Paddlefoot]

royberto - 2-26-2018 at 11:43 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Frank Lloyd Wright
You took the words right out of my mouth. People are making it sound like Alexa took out a bazooka and blasted her competition away. Personally, I think Alexa has improved quite a bit in the ring and she can talk circles around most women on the roster. Also, you can't argue that she is way over with the live audience. That's something hard for a heel to achieve.
Not really. When you are the only one allowed to have a character and everyone else has to look like an idiot when going up against her, it isn't hard at all. If everyone else was booked like Alexa is, Alexa would be exposed for just how terrible she is.

Also, she is absolute shit at taking bumps. There is as much air between her and her opponent's offensive move as there is between Shane McMahon's punches and his opponent. She absolutely recoils from contact and falls away before she even comes close. It looks beyond ridiculous.

quote:
Nah - her feud with Becky convinced her that she didn't really need to be a chickenshit since Becky was so easily beatable.

If anything, Becky is to blame for what you're seeing that you don't like in Alexa.

[Edited on 2-26-2018 by williamssl]
But she was a chickenshit and that is what got her over. She knew she couldn't win a fair fight, so she cheated every which way she could.

So, no, Bceky isn't to blame for anything. That is nothing more than a pathetic attempt at trolling.

royberto - 2-26-2018 at 11:46 PM

quote:

Because she got all the offense while barely even being touched in response. It is an elimination chamber and she set the record for taking least amount of abuse taken. Every one took a significant beating except her. When Roman Reigns does that, everyone here bitches.

Paddlefoot - 2-27-2018 at 12:01 AM

If you're going to play the face/heel dynamic like it's some kind of religious orthodoxy that can never ever be questioned then you could at least acknowledge that it's the face, not the heel, that's typically obligated to do the overcome-all-odds routine and make a miracle happen after taking an amount of abuse that would kill a normal person.

The last ten minutes of the Women's EC with Alexa, Bayley, and Sasha was actually a pretty decent modern-era wrestling match. I really don't see why it has to be made into something more by people who were obviously going to whine and complain about it no matter what the outcome was. Which also puts their complaints into question because when in the hell has anything major really happened on ANY PPV going into Wrestlemania. Elimination Chamber was just an advancement of stories towards the Big Event. It wasn't ever going to be anything else.

royberto - 2-27-2018 at 12:23 PM

quote:
If you're going to play the face/heel dynamic like it's some kind of religious orthodoxy that can never ever be questioned then you could at least acknowledge that it's the face, not the heel, that's typically obligated to do the overcome-all-odds routine and make a miracle happen after taking an amount of abuse that would kill a normal person.

The last ten minutes of the Women's EC with Alexa, Bayley, and Sasha was actually a pretty decent modern-era wrestling match. I really don't see why it has to be made into something more by people who were obviously going to whine and complain about it no matter what the outcome was. Which also puts their complaints into question because when in the hell has anything major really happened on ANY PPV going into Wrestlemania. Elimination Chamber was just an advancement of stories towards the Big Event. It wasn't ever going to be anything else.
Go watch Honky Tonk Man matches from the late 80's. That is what Alexa should be. Taking beatings and getting fluke pins. Constantly going ove everyone and never getting comeuppance or any sort of beatings kills interest in the division because you don't give anyone a reason to believe Alexa Reigns will lose. Hell, Roman himself has lost a TON more than Than Alexa has the past year and everyone bitches about how Reigns wins too much.

aAnd just because major things haven't historically happened in any PPV going into the Big Even doesn't mean it never should happen. Building to Sasha vs.Auska at Mania instead of blowing it off right away after the Royal Rumble would have been far better than this idiotic Alexa Reigns bullshit push.

CCharger - 2-27-2018 at 03:33 PM

The problem with Roman was NEVER Roman.

Roman is a slightly above average WWE performer. His moveset is adequate for a guy his size. His look is great. His promo skills are...OK.

He's fine. Roman is...fine.

The problem with Roman was Vince and HHH. They looked at the guy and immediately saw dollar signs, and immediately gave him a forced, artificial push. The fans recognized this orchestrated bullshit and pushed back. Daniel Bryan's simultaneous organic groundswell only highlighted these shenanigans. Roman's immature, douchey responses to the negative reaction only heightened things.

When fans boo Roman, they aren't booing Roman. They are booing Vince's notion that the fans have to like whoever he wants them to like. It is a rebellion against the protected, corporate, manufactured superstar.

[Edited on 2-27-2018 by CCharger]

Punk Munkee - 2-27-2018 at 04:07 PM

First, I think chickenshit heel is played out. My own preference, I'm sure, but I find it refreshing that Alexa found her confidence and looks and acts like a legit champion. Also - last night on RAW was a prime example - she gets beat up but then WALLOPS her opponent one time with a punch or DDT kind of move. Five feet of fury? I think that's a great name because she takes a lickin' (heh) then drops her opponent out of nowhere. I consider that her "thing" more than being chickenshit per say. She's a body builder, so I can believe she's dynamite.

Conventional booking be damned! Just because you saw it once doesn't mean it has to be the same every time. I find it acceptable that Alexa has been built up at the expense of the faces over the last year, knowing that Asuka was on her way. She's the new standard and the payoff will be great. The likes of Sasha, Bayley, etc. have had their day in the sun and will again. Especially if Bayley and Sasha feud and the winner gets Asuka. I'm actually excited for this.

And again, if she's going to defend against Asuka, that match buildup could be killer based on both of their recent performances. I fully expect Alexa to lose at 'Mania, but I might be more interested in the potential of that match than Lesnar/Reigns.

williamssl - 2-27-2018 at 04:15 PM

All foreigners need to do the “I’m a foreigner / USA patooey” schtick. Sure, we hate because it’s overused But they need to do it because foreign heels.

Accipiter - 2-27-2018 at 06:24 PM

quote:

Braun is big, but not everything's been handed to him. Remember he was a Rosebud. Reigns never had to catch jobbers sucking on lollipops.

Also, Braun has the face of one of those 35 year-olds who may or may not be virgins, so there's more to relate to.

royberto - 2-27-2018 at 07:44 PM

quote:
The problem with Roman was Vince and HHH. They looked at the guy and immediately saw dollar signs, and immediately gave him a forced, artificial push. The fans recognized this orchestrated bullshit and pushed back. Daniel Bryan's simultaneous organic groundswell only highlighted these shenanigans. Roman's immature, douchey responses to the negative reaction only heightened things.

When fans boo Roman, they aren't booing Roman. They are booing Vince's notion that the fans have to like whoever he wants them to like. It is a rebellion against the protected, corporate, manufactured superstar.

But the thing is they are giving Bliss THE EXACT SAME PUSH. People bitched because he never lost and was never made to look weak at any point. Alexa is being booked the exact same way, yet people are now blindly defending it as good booking. If it is shitty booking when done for Roman, then it is shitty booking for Bliss.

Now take a look at Stephaine McMahon. People constantly bitch about the fact that she never gets comeuppance for anything she does. Well, Bliss gets that exact same booking and people defend it. So, why is it bad for Stephanie to never get comeuppance, but is perfectly acceptable for Bliss? IF it is bad for one, it is bad for the other.

YOu can also say she is booked exactly like Cena because she never loses and has buried multiple female talents. Once again, people bitched about Cena being booked that way, but blindly defend Bliss being booked that way.

quote:
First, I think chickenshit heel is played out. My own preference, I'm sure, but I find it refreshing that Alexa found her confidence and looks and acts like a legit champion. Also - last night on RAW was a prime example - she gets beat up but then WALLOPS her opponent one time with a punch or DDT kind of move. Five feet of fury? I think that's a great name because she takes a lickin' (heh) then drops her opponent out of nowhere. I consider that her "thing" more than being chickenshit per say. She's a body builder, so I can believe she's dynamite.
Which is the exact same booking that people shit on Roman and Cena for. The hypocrisy is mind boggling here.

[Edited on 2-27-2018 by royberto]

williamssl - 2-27-2018 at 07:48 PM

I'm pretty sure she's going to lose at WM. I would bet $ on it. Seems like you would think that's a very safe bet to make since there is no reason to believe she would ever lose.

Has there ever actually been financial wagering on this site, where people got tired of the 'logic' and just said 'put your money where your mouth is'?

royberto - 2-27-2018 at 07:58 PM

quote:
I'm pretty sure she's going to lose at WM. I would bet $ on it. Seems like you would think that's a very safe bet to make since there is no reason to believe she would ever lose.

Has there ever actually been financial wagering on this site, where people got tired of the 'logic' and just said 'put your money where your mouth is'?
No, it isn't a safe bet. Why?

That's why. Bliss is his chosen one. I guarantee you he is having orgasmic thoughts of Alexa beating Auska cleanly at Wrestlemania. Remember, this is the same clown who killed Becky's title push because, in his mind, she doesn't speak good English and Becky is fluent. Auska can barely speak it at all. You can bet your bottom dollar he absolutely hates Auska's push. Then add to that his mind dancing at the thought of Alexa bragging how she ended the streak? Yeah, I ain't betting a damn thing on Alexa losing simply because of this buck toothed clown.

The only possible way she loses the title is if Nia is shoehorned into the match and eats the fall. There is no way in hell this clown will ever allow his chosen one to get destroyed and eat a pinfall against Auska. Just like her brother Roman, Alexa Reigns always has to look strong.

williamssl - 2-27-2018 at 08:07 PM

Wait what?

I say I believe and am willing to bet on Alexa losing at WM.

I think you're saying that Alexa will not lose at WM because reasons.

I believe we are therefore on opposite sides of the "what's going to happen to Alexa at WM" equation.

Am I wrong?

DKBroiler - 2-27-2018 at 09:01 PM

quote:
Wait what?

I say I believe and am willing to bet on Alexa losing at WM.

I think you're saying that Alexa will not lose at WM because reasons.

I believe we are therefore on opposite sides of the "what's going to happen to Alexa at WM" equation.

Am I wrong?

Somebody say gambling? I’m down.

Now fetch me my hookers!

Columbo - 2-27-2018 at 09:07 PM

When's Royboy getting a custom I Love Alexa Bliss status?

Post 999 Its only gonna take me 13 and a half years to hit a thousand woo!

[Edited on 2-27-2018 by Columbo]

DKBroiler - 2-27-2018 at 09:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Columbo
When's Royboy getting a custom I Love Alexa Bliss status?

Post 999 Its only gonna take me 13 and a half years to hit a thousand woo!

[Edited on 2-27-2018 by Columbo]

Columbo for OO Lifetime Unachievement Award in 2041. Book it!

* Sadly I’ll still not be in.

Punk Munkee - 2-27-2018 at 10:07 PM

quote:
quote:

But the thing is they are giving Bliss THE EXACT SAME PUSH. People bitched because he never lost and was never made to look weak at any point. Alexa is being booked the exact same way, yet people are now blindly defending it as good booking. If it is shitty booking when done for Roman, then it is shitty booking for Bliss.

Now take a look at Stephaine McMahon. People constantly bitch about the fact that she never gets comeuppance for anything she does. Well, Bliss gets that exact same booking and people defend it. So, why is it bad for Stephanie to never get comeuppance, but is perfectly acceptable for Bliss? IF it is bad for one, it is bad for the other.

YOu can also say she is booked exactly like Cena because she never loses and has buried multiple female talents. Once again, people bitched about Cena being booked that way, but blindly defend Bliss being booked that way.

quote:
Which is the exact same booking that people shit on Roman and Cena for. The hypocrisy is mind boggling here.

[Edited on 2-27-2018 by royberto]

I don't think it's the same. Nobody saw Alexa coming. She never had a Takeover match. She got Jinder'ed/JBL'ed if anything. Minus the previous characters, of course. Reigns missed months, came back, won superstar of the year, and somehow got pushed straight to the title match when everybody was still slobbering all over Daniel Bryan. Cena's been around 15 years and there was nobody else in the cupboard for probably half of those.

No way Alexa wins at 'Mania, though. Once again I believe that's precisely why she's being built like no other young superstar over the last year. No comeuppance? Stephanie went through a table and disappeared for half a year. She's been pedigree'd, RKO'd, etc. At the end of the day she's still the boss. I don't like her character much, but I get it. Alexa will get hers.

royberto - 2-27-2018 at 11:11 PM

quote:
I don't think it's the same. Nobody saw Alexa coming. She never had a Takeover match. She got Jinder'ed/JBL'ed if anything. Minus the previous characters, of course. Reigns missed months, came back, won superstar of the year, and somehow got pushed straight to the title match when everybody was still slobbering all over Daniel Bryan. Cena's been around 15 years and there was nobody else in the cupboard for probably half of those.

No way Alexa wins at 'Mania, though. Once again I believe that's precisely why she's being built like no other young superstar over the last year. No comeuppance? Stephanie went through a table and disappeared for half a year. She's been pedigree'd, RKO'd, etc. At the end of the day she's still the boss. I don't like her character much, but I get it. Alexa will get hers.
But it is the same. Actually it worse as at least Roman was getting somwehere with the Shield before he got hurt. Bliss did nothign in NXtT and immediately was handed a title. Then get a Super Cena push from then until now covering BOTH brands. The fact that you mention Stephanie's one time getting comeuppance makes it even worse with Bliss.; Even Stephanie has gotten more comeuppance than Bliss has. Same booking. but it is now OK because Alexa is the beneficiary. And even if she somehow manages to lose at Mania, she will dominate 98% of the match, throw one punch which Auska has to practically sell like death to barely kick out at 2.9999999999999 thenb hit one move an win. Hardly what I call comeuppance.

She needs to be absolutely destroyed with a savage beating, lose and then go away for a couple of months, so they can start actually using and building the other talents they have instead of neutering all of them so Alexa looks better by default.

DevilSoprano - 2-27-2018 at 11:41 PM

PLEASE STOP POSTING.

Paddlefoot - 2-27-2018 at 11:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by DevilSoprano
PLEASE STOP POSTING.

salmonjunkie - 2-28-2018 at 12:33 AM

I thought royberto's boner for Becky was strong, his boner for Alexa is rock solid!

janerd75 - 2-28-2018 at 01:20 AM

Y'ALL LEAVE 'BERTO ALONE, GODIT! HE A GOOD BOY! HE DID NOT DO ANYTHINGS!

I am also tired of Becky getting shafted Roy. #wetoo

DevilSoprano - 2-28-2018 at 01:36 AM

quote:
Y'ALL LEAVE 'BERTO ALONE, GODIT! HE A GOOD BOY! HE DID NOT DO ANYTHINGS!

I am also tired of Becky getting shafted Roy. #wetoo

quote:
PLEASE STOP POSTING.

janerd75 - 2-28-2018 at 02:28 AM

The Lord's blessings upon you Dev, but nary shalt I be gone from these pages until you and yours from the great state of New Jersey are cleansed from this Earth (Sorry DK ) and the land it sits upon be salted and abandoned for all time. I'd go so far as to finding some type of curse, Sheeny or likely somesuch other more affordable solution given the availability of discretionary funds these days, but you have cursed that land on your own with your very presence just fine.

Any time you wanna consistently contribute here with enough good cheer for anyone to take you seriously, interact on a non-neckbeard level with other normal humans, discontinue your patented sourpuss cuntery, and take a break from pleasuring yourself by popping out the #wokeAF Rose Tico dolly shoved up your ass, your knowledge of wrasslin' and other pop culture nonsensery would be greatly appreciated.

#BertoLivesMatter

Paddlefoot - 2-28-2018 at 02:56 AM

*Becky's a futa? Well, that certainly brings things full circle back to where they began with all the girl-cock talk.

* i really thought it would have been Charlotte instead

DevilSoprano - 2-28-2018 at 03:12 AM

quote:

Any time you wanna consistently contribute here with enough good cheer for anyone to take you seriously

The next time you do this will be the first time you do this.

janerd75 - 2-28-2018 at 03:45 AM

quote:
quote:

Any time you wanna consistently contribute here with enough good cheer for anyone to take you seriously

Lol, you dreary simple-minded inner-tube-necked Jersey Cow! Go get your shinebox and then shove your Londo Mollari dolly feat. Action Diplomacy Hairdo up your twazzer if you wanna go one on one with the Great None you twat-lipped phaguette!

williamssl - 2-28-2018 at 03:59 AM

via GIPHY

CheMateo - 3-1-2018 at 12:28 AM

It has taken me a few days to finish watching Elimination Chamber. Hot dang, what a boring and predictable show. Just awful.

I thought Vince does not like to go back to the well but christ, we are doing Brock and Rome again and this is the fourth time this fucker has main-evented WrestleMania. Enough is enough. Again this company has the opportunity to do something fun and different but they pass on Balor and Braun.

That is another things that really irks me. Braun survives being smashed by a truck and all this chaos yet he goes down to one F-5 and two Superman punches plus a spear. He is only a monster part of the time. They should have struck while the iron was hot and put Braun against Brock.

Build up Brock only to have him finally job to Rome. All this feeding and the audience is STILL revolting. Come on, listen to your fans for a change.

I am not going to claim that I am going to cancel my Network subscription in protest. There is too much good material there for me to peruse. They already do not get my plata in terms of merchandise and other promotional efforts. But, damn if they do not leave me so annoyed.

Thankfully these days I find solace in revisiting mid-90s FMW and Great Sasuke!
I am actually more jacked for Spring Break 2 and seeing Sasuke doing something nuts-o with Joey Janela than I am for WrestleMania!

CCharger - 3-1-2018 at 12:51 AM

quote:
quote:
quote:

Lol, you dreary simple-minded inner-tube-necked Jersey Cow! Go get your shinebox and then shove your Londo Mollari dolly feat. Action Diplomacy Hairdo up your twazzer if you wanna go one on one with the Great None you twat-lipped phaguette!

Awesome.

This is like a fight between Deadpool and Wolverine.

janerd75 - 3-1-2018 at 05:48 AM

As long as I get to be on top.

CamstunPWG187 - 3-2-2018 at 01:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CheMateo
It has taken me a few days to finish watching Elimination Chamber. Hot dang, what a boring and predictable show. Just awful.

I thought Vince does not like to go back to the well but christ, we are doing Brock and Rome again and this is the fourth time this fucker has main-evented WrestleMania. Enough is enough. Again this company has the opportunity to do something fun and different but they pass on Balor and Braun.

That is another things that really irks me. Braun survives being smashed by a truck and all this chaos yet he goes down to one F-5 and two Superman punches plus a spear. He is only a monster part of the time. They should have struck while the iron was hot and put Braun against Brock.

Build up Brock only to have him finally job to Rome. All this feeding and the audience is STILL revolting. Come on, listen to your fans for a change.

I am not going to claim that I am going to cancel my Network subscription in protest. There is too much good material there for me to peruse. They already do not get my plata in terms of merchandise and other promotional efforts. But, damn if they do not leave me so annoyed.

Thankfully these days I find solace in revisiting mid-90s FMW and Great Sasuke!
I am actually more jacked for Spring Break 2 and seeing Sasuke doing something nuts-o with Joey Janela than I am for WrestleMania!

You are a man of my ilk

CheMateo for President

SpiNNeR72 - 3-2-2018 at 04:51 PM

I'm a bit late to the game here but..

quote:
Originally posted by Punk MunkeeNo way Alexa wins at 'Mania, though. Once again I believe that's precisely why she's being built like no other young superstar over the last year.

Ever heard of Asuka?

I know its not ~cool~ to say it but jesus - the level of forced push Asuka especially, and Nakamura not far behind, have had is forcing the suspension of disbelief way beyond anything I can recall.

I know Mania is the land of obvious "booking for the casuals" but I can't imagine having more of a desire for all the champs to retain (assuming we get the expected matches) .

DKBroiler - 3-2-2018 at 05:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by SpiNNeR72
I'm a bit late to the game here but..

quote:
Originally posted by Punk MunkeeNo way Alexa wins at 'Mania, though. Once again I believe that's precisely why she's being built like no other young superstar over the last year.

Ever heard of Asuka?

I know its not ~cool~ to say it but jesus - the level of forced push Asuka especially, and Nakamura not far behind, have had is forcing the suspension of disbelief way beyond anything I can recall.

I know Mania is the land of obvious "booking for the casuals" but I can't imagine having more of a desire for all the champs to retain (assuming we get the expected matches) .

I do think Asuka is quite talented in the ring - and more over then Shinsuke - but, yeah, I don’t see why she is 264 wins in a row over. Very odd that streak was given to someone who can’t talk.

Count Zero - 3-2-2018 at 10:18 PM

quote:

I do think Asuka is quite talented in the ring - and more over then Shinsuke - but, yeah, I don’t see why she is 264 wins in a row over. Very odd that streak was given to someone who can’t talk.
I say this with as much respect as this statement can have: Cuz NXT Fans are smarks of the smarkiest calibre? (ie, they latched on to the Joshi-Star hype and decided -she- was the chosen one for this generation, so nHHHt decided to make money from her new & relatively differentish look/style.)

First 9 - 3-2-2018 at 10:36 PM

Wait, don't undefeated streaks almost always go to the strong, silent type? Goldberg, Taker, Lesnar, Joe(he got a lot more chatty when TNA took him out of the X Division).

Asuka hits harder than any of the main roster women, she can sell intensity with her expressions and body language better than most, and her background ups her credibility. She was perfect for the choice of a long-running undefeated streak.

It's amazing that it's gone this far, surpassing even Goldberg's bloated numbers, but unless you're really high on Nia Jax I can't think of anybody else who could have made it work as well as Asuka did.

Paddlefoot - 3-2-2018 at 11:06 PM

Plus, Asuka's actively scary when she gets mad, which by itself is the reason that a winning streak like that wouldn't have worked with any of the other women. Not just the rapid-speak Japanese jibber-jabber but a real intensity of "yo, this bish is gonna kill me". That nothing-to-lose kamikaze smile is an important part of the overall effect too. Way different in size but effectively comes across like a female Meng.

janerd75 - 3-2-2018 at 11:45 PM

Surprising even myself, I have nothing super lacist to say about Asuka. I actually dig her strong-style silent-type with occasional wordy forays into Celestial-themed gobbledy-gook. And she's unique in that she has the undefeated streak and actually has the badass vibe to back it up. Dunno, but sometimes an undefeated streak in wrasslin' is kinda cool. Certainly not Goldbrick length and definitely not Undertaker length, but so far I've liked it as a part of her build. Maybe end it by WM or no later than SS? The only thing I think that would have helped her a bit more is having a Heymanette by her side to do most of the talking with her only giving a few menacing/mysterious sentences here and there much like Paul E. does for Bork. Maaaybe Vickie if they went for broad appeal? Regardress, Asuka A #1!

G. Jonah Jameson - 3-3-2018 at 02:10 AM

Asuka is great, and I can't help thinking that the growing backlash against her (not necessarily here, but in general among sections of the fan base) is in part because fans are convinced they need to hate anyone WWE unambigously wants to push.

Paddlefoot - 3-3-2018 at 02:47 AM

quote:
Originally posted by G. Jonah Jameson
Asuka is great, and I can't help thinking that the growing backlash against her (not necessarily here, but in general among sections of the fan base) is in part because fans are convinced they need to hate anyone WWE unambigously wants to push.

That's the thing, ennit? For all the many things they do wrong WWE simply can't be held responsible for a certain segment of fandom who are going to act like assholes for no other reason than they simply want to. Controlling that is simply not possible.

Count Zero - 3-3-2018 at 04:15 AM

quote:
Originally posted by G. Jonah Jameson
Well, there's some basic psychology potentially at work, but let me work our way to that.

With the amount of WWE Programming thrown at us, plus the semi-expectation for WWEUniverse Members to consume the WWENetwork and all other WWEThings any WWETime, there is a percentage of the WWEAudience (not the same as the Universe) bound to end up feeling contempt about something familiar -- "Familiarity breeds contempt", in slightly cliched terms. I'm not saying this is a widespread thing that is going to sink Asuka's battleship forever. It's just a thing that will be happening to almost every wrestler to some degree, based on how in-our-face they are at a given time.

For a similar case study, see "Hart, Kevin".

DKBroiler - 3-3-2018 at 08:11 PM

quote:
Wait, don't undefeated streaks almost always go to the strong, silent type? Goldberg, Taker, Lesnar, Joe(he got a lot more chatty when TNA took him out of the X Division).

Asuka hits harder than any of the main roster women, she can sell intensity with her expressions and body language better than most, and her background ups her credibility. She was perfect for the choice of a long-running undefeated streak.

It's amazing that it's gone this far, surpassing even Goldberg's bloated numbers, but unless you're really high on Nia Jax I can't think of anybody else who could have made it work as well as Asuka did.

You got a point there about the strong, silent stuff. Nia wouldn’t work either because 2018 Nia and 2016 Nia are miles apart in ability. She’s come a long way.

Besides ... Carmella is gonna break her streak at Wrestlemania.