Thanks for all the input guys, it's really appreciated.
So far not much has changed or happened over the past month, but if it does I'll possibly update this. Still waiting for an actual bill which I
expect will show up any day now.
posted on 4-10-2019 at 09:07 PM
Do not consolidate these with your student loans. This will just remove the little bit of protections they provide.
There is a company called Medkey- guaranteed approval with a 5.99% APR. I believe their payment structure is $33 for every $1000 financed. Dont let
her destroy her credit over $6k.
Agreed with the sentiment to contact the doctor 1st and dispute with the insurance company before she makes any type of payment.
posted on 3-22-2019 at 06:22 PM
One thing to consider is working out a forbearance with the student loan people, that way she won't have to pay for a specified period of time
while she takes care of the medical bill.
posted on 3-21-2019 at 01:21 PM
Talked to my wife and sister in law, who both deal with health care industry, first thing she should do is talk to her doctor's office and make
sure that the tests were coded properly with the insurance company. Then appeal the decision with the insurance company.
If she ends up stuck with a large bill, talk to the hospital and set up payments she can afford, like $20, if she makes those payments every month it
won't fuck up her credit and keep them quiet.
posted on 3-20-2019 at 07:27 PM
Has she looked into an Income Based Repayment plan for her student loans? It can lower the payments, in exchange of paying longer...
Vote Democrat and hope that they pass student loan forgiveness?
Find some guy on the street and get new identities.
That's all I got.
posted on 3-20-2019 at 03:52 PM
Move to Canada.
posted on 3-20-2019 at 02:22 PM
There's always GoFundMe.
posted on 3-20-2019 at 03:59 AM
If she's still carrying some student loans could you/she perhaps consider some kind of loan consolidation with the med bill...? You might get
shredded on the interest a bit more than what student loans normally carry, but $6000 isn't a huge amount that if it were coupled with the
student loans likely wouldn't throw the monthly payments out of wack depending on the amoratization period.
The benefit of doing the above is that it may not necessarily rule out still pursuing other avenues like those others have put forth.
posted on 3-19-2019 at 11:54 PM
At this point it might be easier just getting a new girlfriend. Otherwise, like you mentioned, I'd suggest she needs to discuss with her doctor
the predicament it put her in and how said doctor can possibly review how the services were billed to the insurance company. It probably also depends
on if the tests were done in house with that particular physician which they would have more control over the billing than if it were outsourced to
another facility. And when in doubt, try to negotiate it out with the insurance company.
I doubt there's a direct analogue to your situation in there, but there may be enough useful information to inspire some potential solutions you
didn't have before. Even just being able to demonstrate some of the relevant knowledge might push insurance companies and medical professionals
to take you seriously, if nothing else.
posted on 3-19-2019 at 09:13 PM
So my girlfriend has terrible allergies (not just dust and pollen, but food it seems). She found a physician that recommended she do this giant test
for everything under the sun. I believe it may have been DNA based. I'm really breezing past this stuff, but yea, she has been dealing with an
ever changing assortment of issues that are often allergen based.
And my girlfriend, I believe, fucked up royally despite not being mentally disabled. The physician told her that her insurance would cover it and
everything would be alright.
And of course this is not the case. She just took someone's word on it. I'm at a loss as this is the first certifiably dumb thing she's
done (aside from dating me) since I've known her. (We've been dating for several years). She got a denial letter in the mail yesterday.
Probably going to get the bill in the next few days. She thinks it is for about $6000.
She makes good money, but then pours most of it into college loans, so when it's all said and done, she is just getting by. My job pays less, but
for now has unlimitted OT. Which is going away in a few months. I'm at a loss as to what she/we need to do.
Pretty sure ignoring it and letting collections do it's thing is a horrible idea. And she can't afford an extra $x a month (assuming it will
be at least $200.) So how fucking fucked is she? What the fuck can she do?
I'm at a loss. For the first time ever I am starting to feel like I'm getting ahead financially, and then I find out that my OT will be
ending soon, then I walk into this Shit-Fest 3000.
I'm fucking devastated. The only Hail Mary I can think of is her physician somehow working some magic and getting it lowered or somehow approved,
but I do not expect the next few weeks to have that in store.